• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dadhikravno Akarisham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want success in life? Here are some tips from the Vedas.
Keep yourself fit and strong mentally and physically.Be brave. Never be scared by obstacles. Jump over them and keep on moving till you reach the goal.
Be result-oriented.
Do not be lazy.
Act swiftly.
Let not your shackles diminish your speed.
Be faithful to your boss and be dreadful to your adversaries.
Keep good company and avoid lowly people.

FAQ

How can one obtain/develop these qualities?
Let one who has got these qualities, be your ideal. By constantly thinking of him/her, you are sure to become one like him/her.

Where can I find such a person?

Keep your eyes open. You will find one in your own surroundings. If you can’t find, think of Dadhikra.

Who is Dadhikra? Is he a historic person or mythological person?
Neither. He is a horse. A divine horse. You might have heard of his name if you are a performer of Sandhyavandanam.
Dadhikravno akarisham, Jishnorasvasya vajinah. Surabhino mukhakarat, prana ayumsi tarisat.

What is the meaning of this mantara?
This mantra is from Rig Veda 4-39-6. It means “I worship Dadhikra, the strong conquering horse. Let him make our mouths fragrant and prolong our lives.”

Is a horse given an equal place in the Vedas with the Devas who form the usual object of adoration? Why is the prayer for fragrant mouths and long life?

To know the answers we have to study all the mantras which speak about Dadhikra. There are 21 of them spread over three suktas 38, 39, 40 in RV Mandala 4.

For Griffith’s translation of the relevant suktas go to
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 4: HYMN XXXVIII. Dadhikris.
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 4: HYMN XXXIX Dadhikrs.
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 4: HYMN XL. Dadhikrvan.

Here is the essence of the three suktas based on the translations of both Wilson and Griffith. I have made my own interpretations wherever they disagree or are obscure.

Dadhikra is one of the gifts to man from God for our victory in battle fields, plough-lands and in mental sphere.

He is useful to us in many ways. He transports us. In battles he is enthusiastic and wins booties. He is strong and swift like the wind. He goes straight like a hawk. He is brave. He is firm on reaching his goal. None can stop him. He is not fond of rest. Though bound by the neck, flanks and mouth, his speed is not diminished. Obstacles in the path do not deter his onward march. He is good to look at also. He is faithful to the master and dreadful to the enemies.

Dadhikra visits all people. He looks on the assemblies. He dwells with the good and with the swift. He shuns the low man and worships the active. He is a guide for all mortals. He gives men abundance of food, strength, and light.

He is the object of adoration by man. The people who go to war and those to sacrifice both invoke him. The gods remove our sins when we honour Dadhikra. I pray to him every morning for bearing me safely over every trouble. He makes our mouths fragrant and prolongs our days.

We praise all other gods also along with Dadhikra. We have to be thankful to Earth and Heaven for this gift.

The last of the 21 mantras, I give in full.

He is the sun dwelling in light, vasu dwelling in the firmament, the invoker at the altar, the guest at the house, he resides in the man, in the lofty station, in rtam, in sky. He is born in waters, cows, rtam, mountain, He is rtam himself.

Analysis

A close study tells us that although Dadhikra is referred to as the name of one particular horse it does not refer to one like Chetak (the faithful and brave horse of Rana Pratap Singh who carried its master to safety in the thick of a battle when the Rana fell unconscious on its back. It is immortalized in the ballads of Rajastan, a statue has been erected in its honour and a scooter has been named after it.).

Dadhikra means the horse. (Dadhi means carry; kra means to go fast. The horse is the only animal that can carry men on its back and run fast.) It represents the animal which was tamed very early in history and has been very useful to man.

When we look at a horse, we admire the strength and speed with which it transports men on its back, the inexhaustible stamina and undaunted bravery with which it helps men in battles and its ability to jump over obstacles and reach its goal. No other animal is so multi-talented and helpful to man both in war and in peace. It is beautiful to look at also. Indeed it is a divine gift to mankind.

Worshipping Dadhikra means to admire and imbibe those qualities of the horse which make it the object of veneration. These qualities help us to cross over every trouble. It makes us successful and lengthens our life. It makes our minds strong enough to conquer our enemies.
No doubt reciting the noble qualities of the horse makes our mouths fragrant. Cf:- திருப்புகழைப் பாடப் பாட வாய் மணக்கும்

The last mantra has a philosophical tone. The name Dadhikra is not mentioned in it but we can take the ‘he’ to mean it. It says that he is the sun, vasu, fire and everything. He resides in man, sky and everything. He is born of waters, light, mountain and rtam. He is rtam himself. Thus the mantra sees everything in god and god in everything.

I would like to add a small piece of information just for knowledge.
At the end of all Ved Mantras, we end with Om Santhih, Shanti Shanti.
Shanti means Peace. We chant three times to get relief and attain peace from three types troubles.
1. Adhyaathmikam : Troubles coming to us because of our own deeds, diseases, mental disturbances and no peace, etc.
2. Adhi Bowthikam: Troubles coming to us from other lives (say animals, wild birds etc)
3. Adhi Daivikam : Troubles coming to us on account of nature i.e. Rain, Thunder, Fire, Earthquake, etc.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur Chennai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back