• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indian Blood

I was wondering whether all members of this site are cold blooded mammals or some of them do have Indian heart and passions also ? Especially for things other than vedas and other than social justice reservation issue etc. Good that you have made a beginning.

Let me add another field which I feel passionately about :- Contract Bridge
Anybody in for prolonged discussion on Bridge ?

HA HA!

How about starting discussion on Cricket World Cup ?

first throw of the dice

my prediction - sEmis - australia, south africa , sri lanka , pakistan.

winners - australia

Cricket? Bah! humbug!!

My dear Hariharan:

I am sorry to say this but ... except England and its colonies, nobody gives a damn about cricket! Same goes for driving on the left side of the road!! (well, with the exception of Japan). USA, in spite of being once a colony, have shunned everything that is British! -- notably CRICKET!!

Perhaps India should get out of this Commonwealth nonsense - an Indian citizen cannot even go to England without a visa; a citizen of any Commonwealth country is supposed travel freely among them. And, we all know how the British were responsible for all caste-based problems!

p.s. Dear cricket-lovers! By any extent, my aim of posting this is not to hurt your feelings but my dislike of the British!

Last edited:

sir - the muthuvelar's love for 'pure' tamil has infected me also! i am going to advocate 'pure' live tamil commentary for all world cup cricket matches! here are some of my 'pure' tamil translations:::

1. RICKY PONTING CUTS ANIL KUMBLE :

RICKY PONTING ANIL KUMBLEVAI VETTINAAR!!!!!

2. TENDULKAR TRIED TO LIFT.

TENDULKAR 'TOOKINAAR'!!!

3. SEHWAG SWEPT THE BALL.

SEHWAG PANDHAI PERUKKINAAR!!!

4. GILCHIRST HIT IRFAN PATHAN OUT OF THE GROUND!

GILCHRIST IRFAN PATHANAI MAIDHANATHUKKU VELIYE THAKKINAAR!!!

5. SILLY POINT - MUTTALTHANAMAANA PULLI!

6. THIRD MAN - MOONDRAVATHU MANITHAN!
SLIP- NAZHUVAL!
LEG SLIP KAAL NAZHUVAL!
CHINA MAN CHEENA MANITHAN!!!
LEG BREAK KAALAI UDAI!!!

WILL TRY TO 'DISCOVER' MORE PURITY IN TAMIL CRICKETING TERMS IN FUTURE!!!!!

Last edited:
The reason why large number of Indians are crazy about cricket is certaily not due to our adulation for colonial masters. Matter of factly, majority of the people who throng to watch the matches or play , discuss, eat and sleep cricket may not even be able to point the location of England on the world map.

Though the craze for cricket is maddening, it does has its positive spin off as well. It does help bring all Indians on the same platform, make them rub shoulders with each other without distinction of caste, colour, creed, religion and linguistic bigotry.

As far as travelling to England without visa is concerned, who wants to go to England any way? It was only in the movies of 50's and 60's and 70's that the hero whould go to 'vilayat' (read UK) for higher education. Now the mecca of higher education is US. IITS are ranked among top universities of the world. UK is only a spent force - a pale shadow of its former self.

My dear Hariharan:

I am sorry to say this but ... except England and its colonies, nobody gives a damn about cricket! Same goes for driving on the left side of the road!! (well, with the exception of Japan). USA, in spite of being once a colony, have shunned everything that is British! -- notably CRICKET!!

Perhaps India should get out of this Commonwealth nonsense - an Indian citizen cannot even go to England without a visa; a citizen of any Commonwealth country is supposed travel freely among them. And, we all know how the British were responsible for all caste-based problems!

p.s. Dear cricket-lovers! By any extent, my aim of posting this is not to hurt your feelings but my dislike of the British!

Dear lotus_quartz:
I wouldn't want to go to England either! However, as an American, I get to go there whenever I want without a visa!!
But that is not what I wanted to convey: I was trying to implicitly tell people how the English is discriminating against the Indians, even though Commonwealth citizens should be able to travel freely without any restrictions.

Few points

Dear lotus_quartz:
I wouldn't want to go to England either! However, as an American, I get to go there whenever I want without a visa!!
But that is not what I wanted to convey: I was trying to implicitly tell people how the English is discriminating against the Indians, even though Commonwealth citizens should be able to travel freely without any restrictions.

1. Firstly my intention of starting this thread was to have some light-hearted serious discussions on Cricket. Nothing beyond

2. Wittingly or Unwittingly, the discussion has taken a deviation & hence i am forced to say a few things

3. The reason why cricket is so popular in India is due to

3.1 This is the only sport where India has some standing at the world level

3.2 The sport generates damn good money

3.3 The sport can be played with nothing or with everything. meaning to say, a rag of cloth wound around a cork or even a pebble could be used for a ball or we could play with the full acoustics. Hence it is a sport which links all the levels of the society - the ultra rich, rich, middle class & the poor.

3.4 A win for India against Pak is a very good anger release generally for all Indians. A win aganst Sri Lanka could be a anger release for TN, a win against Australia could hearten the harbingers of have nots vs haves. A win against England could please you, SF. So an Indian win could serve as a metaphor for several things.

3.5 For a nation of 1000 million we struggle to get 1 olympic medal. Hockey is down in the dustbin....Football we can be the world champions - just need a small change to the rules - "Any ball which flies atleast 10 feet above the current goal post will be considered a goal" - i bet Brazilians will be eating out of our hands to get trained on this. But i am not able to see this happen.

So Cricket is the only sport where internationally we have had some success & it is the only proof in India that "Despite the system, you can BE THERE WITH THE BEST".

4. Coming to the issue of UK or for that matter any country denying free travel rights - i haven't even travelled to Delhi, but permit me the audacity of saying that i don't find anything wrong in this but instead appreciate it.

You know why - This tells me that UK is damn serious about the safety & security of it's citizens. It reserves the right of determining it's own "Risk Assessment Policy" and it's perfectly fine if it considers any Indian or Asian to be part of a "Risk Zone"...As an entrant to that country, i consider it obligatory on my part to satisfy the host nation of my credentials & i don't find it discriminatory. AFter all when we can have School Zone, Hospital Zone on our roads which call for a 'differential treatment' from the users of the road in those zones, why can't a matter as serious as National Security prohibit free movement which could lead to 'tresspassing'. Ofcourse you have travelled the world & are much more familiar with the rules & regulations but for me speaking without the international experience, i don't think it is discriminating.

5. Finally, if members are not keen to discuss cricket or any sport, i am fine with it. But i definitely feel sad for not being able to talk about my favourite & the greatest team in the world - AUSTRALIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hari Bhaiya Lage Raho!

Arre nahin nahin, hari bhaiya lage raho! Aapki khidmat mein ek Kirkatwa wala joke haazir hai:

Teacher: Convert the following into a single word: "You have been insulted, pushed around, kicked out and finally re-invited into the fold."

Student : "You have been GANGULIFIED."

Howzzat!

And now I invite the inimitable Rt. Hon. Sri. Suresh to try translating it into Pure Tamil!

5. Finally, if members are not keen to discuss cricket or any sport, i am fine with it. But i definitely feel sad for not being able to talk about my favourite & the greatest team in the world - AUSTRALIA.

few more cricket laughs

1. We all know kaps (kapil dev) is not very great with the use of Queen's English. So the joke goes that kaps & azhar bhai are in a shop to purchase something.

kaps asking for a catalogue : "Can you give me a Cat-a-LOG-YOU" ?

azhar frowns at the wrong pronounciation & tells kaps that it has to be pronounced as "Cat-a-log"

kaps insists it is "Cat-a-LOG-YOU" only till he reaches a point of no return with azhar.

frustrated he shouts at azhar - "azhar, now dont "ARG" with me" (Arg-YOU)

2. Sunny bhai opens with a Sardar vs Australia with sardar taking strike. Lillee opening the bowling.

First ball : before sardar could lift his gaze, ball whistles past his head
Encore - 2nd, 3rd & balls

4th ball : lilee lets go a snorter which obviously misses sardar but the umpire arm is horizontally extended & umpire shouts "NO BALL"

Sardar cooly walks down the pitch to sunny & says "Mujhe to pehle se hi patha tha ki uske haath mein ball nahin"

HOWZZZZZAT

Hey guys!
For the benefit of those of us who are ignorant of Hindi, how about providing some translation, too?
Hariharan, I like you as my friend and I have noted your points on cricket. Enough said. I will shut up.
However, as a final parting shot, I have got to tell you guys this. Some of the same cricket fans (Indians) told me that the Indian players are lousy and are only interested in making money on endorsements. I was sent an email with a video where the Indian player was going to bat but then he stops the pitcher (bowler?) and poses for some commercials.... and he keeps doing this without batting .... you know, sort of tongue-in-cheek making fun of the Indian cricket player.

Seriously, if India were to grab the glory of being the king of cricket, we need to do some soul searching, kick out the stupid bureaucrats and the politicians who actually control the game (I was told) and come up with a national training program to produce some first class players.
On with cricket, my dear good man!!

Last edited:
Well, guys,
it looks like the Indians lost ..... again!!! I happened to watch a little bit (it seemed like the whole Chennai was engrossed in this including all my relatives!). One thing I can say is that these guys can take some lessons from the American baseball players on how to field!!

Well, guys,
it looks like the Indians lost ..... again!!! I happened to watch a little bit (it seemed like the whole Chennai was engrossed in this including all my relatives!). One thing I can say is that these guys can take some lessons from the American baseball players on how to field!!

Thaleeva,

inna pechu pesukeera nee !!!

innadhu paseball (baseball) paarthu naanga peelding (fielding) kathukkanuma !!!

Do par ba... paseballu naalu naalu quarter aaa adinikiradhu....yenga aalungalukku naalu kooda venam, ore oru quarter adikka vuttu peelding panna vei - appalla puli kanakka panji pantha pudippanungo...

aa aang!!!

Indian cricket!

Dear hariharan:
I am having enough difficulty understanding the standard Tamil; you had to throw a curve ball (baseball term!) at me with your Chennai Tamil!! I didn't understand some of the words!
Anyway, for your information, I hate American baseball! I am a tennis guy! Nevertheless, we all have to agree that those baseball guys are amazing at fielding! They literally fly on the air!! Of course, they do have gloves on one hand!
Anyway, I hope the Indian team does better next time!

Thaleeva,
Do par ba... paseballu naalu naalu quarter aaa adinikiradhu....yenga aalungalukku naalu kooda venam, ore oru quarter adikka vuttu peelding panna vei - appalla puli kanakka panji pantha pudippanungo...
aa aang!!!

Thaleeva,

aa aang!!!

sir - the most surprising, unexpected, strange & perhaps even shocking thing has happened! england have defeated australia that too in australia itself in WSC Finals!!! i wonder whether i made a mistake initially in voting for australia as favourites to win the world cup!!!

No Never

sir - the most surprising, unexpected, strange & perhaps even shocking thing has happened! england have defeated australia that too in australia itself in WSC Finals!!! i wonder whether i made a mistake initially in voting for australia as favourites to win the world cup!!!

FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT

DHARMATHIN VAZHVUDHANNAI SOODHU KAVVUM AANAAL IRUDIYIL DHARMAME VELLUM

(Thirudadhe paapa thirudadhe)
ODUNGADHE AIYAA AUSTRALIA VITTU ODUNGADHE
ORU LOSS NINAITHU MAYANGI VIDADHE
THIRAMAI IRUKKU BAYANDHU VIDADHE

VETRI MEEDHU VETRI VANDHU
AUSTRALIA VAI SERUM
ADHAI VANGI THANDHA PERUMAI ELLAM
PONTINGAI SERUM

IVAN,
PMK HARI

(PONTING MUNNETRA KAZHAGAM)

sir - incredible and unbelievable! australia have lost to newzealand in newzealand, an one day series! australia have lost inspite of scoring heavily! obviously aussie bowling and fielding have let them down! with warne, langer, martyn retired, lee injured, gilchrist out of initial stage of world cup, i now wonder whether australia will still continue as favourites to win the cup!!!

Phone Call....

Sehwag had just left to bat. When a phone call came for him,The receiver replied 'He is gone for batting, could you please call this evening'.

Dravid had just left to bat. When a phone call came for him,The same receiver replied 'He is gone for batting, could you please call after this session'.

When Tendulkar went to bat, a phone call came. The same receiver replied 'He is gone for batting, could you please call after some time'.

When Ganguly went to bat, a phone call came. The same receiver replied 'Ganguly has just gone out to bat, he will be back in a minute.. please hold on...

How to Cook Maggie?

4 simple steps to cook Maggi noodles

Step 1: boil one cup of water

Step 2: as soon as ganguly goes for batting, put the noodles in theboiledwater and put the tastemaker.

Step 3: stir till ganguly is onfield.

Step 4: As soon as ganguly is back in pavilion, your noodles r ready to eat. )

What is common to a 100 mtrs race and Ganguly's innings? Ans: They both last for the same time

2) How can u say "Get Out" to Ganguly politely? Ans: Ask him to go to bat

3) If Rahul is "The Wall", what is Ganguly? Ans: The hole in the wall

4) How can Ganguly save time everyday? Ans: By not bothering to pad up

5) Who is the only cricketer who does not bat, bowl or field and yetplays international cricket?Ans: no comments.......

6) Why has Saurav Ganguly been recommended as the fielding coach forIndia after retirement?Ans: No one else can provide catches as easily as Ganguly

Whats Ganguly's fav movie? Gone in 60 seconds

sir
in my point this world cup its should be a different one. because now a days all the countries contributted well. so we cannot able to judge who win this cup

sir
in my point this world cup its should be a different one. because now a days all the countries contributted well. so we cannot able to judge who win this cup

sir - australia are without brett lee , who is injured! but adam gilchirist, will take part in the entire competition, as his child has born well before world cup! abdur razaack of pakistan is out due to knee injury! shoiab akhtar is also suspect! let us wait and see what happens in the next few days! but i still think australia are the favourites - mainly because they field so well- it is said 'catches win matches'! i think australia's biggest asset is their outcricket!!!

Best Batsman ?

My take on the best batsman

My Choice, in order & with reasons

1. Gavaskar
2. Lara
3. Ponting
4. Dravid
5. Tendulkar

Gavaskar -
a) Master Grafter
b) Old Schoolbook of Batting
c) Fearless / Peerless
d) Galvanised a nation
e) Taught a nation "professionalism" which was unheard of
f) First Indian who could look into eye of opposition
g) Opening batsman who faced some of the hostile bowling from Windies / Aussies
h) Played a good part of cricket opening in the "pitch uncovered" era
i) Also played w/o protective gear
j) Played in the best series of that era - Aussies vs World XI led by Sobers
k) Couldn't quite adjust to One day
l) Smart captain - brought the best out of fringe players like - Madan Lal, Roger Binny, Kirti Azad. Used allrounders/spinners intelligently - Ravi Shastri, Laxman Siva, K Dev, Mohinder

Lara -
a) Mercurial Genius
b) Is Galvanising the nation
c) Last man standing
d) Innovative - On his day, on sheer "audacity" of strokes no one to beat
e) "Likes" to lead by example & also "leads"
f) Technically not great - plays short ball i.e higher than ribcage lower than head height pathetically

Ponting -
a) Best hooker (pun not intended) the game has seen or probably will ever see
b) Wears aggressiveness on his sleeve
c) Little susceptible to spin in spin aiding conditions but still can work his way
d) Broke the "strong hold" of NSW...Not easy to captain Australia coming from Tasmania
e) Outstanding fielder
f) Big Big Big match player....great temperament in big matches
g) Great attitude....doesn't give an inch & knows how to keep the opponent on the mat once opponent has been floored

Dravid -
a) Classical Batsmanship
b) Technically very compact - despite showing some chinks to the incoming ball of late
c) Mentally Steve Waugh (i.e strong...Strong na yenna Steve Waugh na yenna)
d) Game for a fighting innings
e) Has the temperament for crunch situations
f) Decent slipper, is good especially with spin bowling
g) His On driving oh....."Hot Gulab Jamoon in Ice Cream"
h) Perhaps a shade weak in "strike rotation" especially in One days, but a vast improvement over previous years
i) Team Man - Who else could have kept wickets despite not being 100% (But on any day proved to be better than Partiv Patel)
j) Finishes the job

Tendulkar -
a) Mountain of records
b) Captured the imagination of a nation
c) Possibly the only "glue" of a nation which is seperated by language, religion, caste, creed & what not
d) Not too strong mentally
e) Not battle scarred but not very tough either
f) Doesn't tighten his game on crunch situations
g) Was a massive failure as a captain since he couldn't harmonise the lesser talented individuals into a team
h) Doesn't finish
i) Recent years not too comfortable playing with a "stroke maker" at other end
j) Very Very intelligent bowler except that tries little too hard or to be too smart at times
k) Safe fielder
l) Has carried himself very well in public view - non controversial

Best batsman

IMHO, all time great batsman is Viv Richards.

Haiyo, Haiyo !!!!!

Inzy :
Nee munnaleh poo, naan pinnaleh vaaren. .. solli ippadi yemathiputiyeh pangkali.. . .

Rahul :
Ada neenga vera pangkali. . .. avaavan veedu pukhuinthu adikka aarambichitanga. . sambathicha kasu. .. poonadadi, pulla .... adutha advertisement yellam pakka vendama . .! .. . aathan naan kooda kadaisi balla six adichean...

Bermuda Captain :
Enna yethunu ketkama .. oru pacha pullaya poottu ippadi thovachi, thumsam pannitiyada . .. Nee adichathu oru pulla puuchiya... unnakku oru vengala kinnan kooda kedayathu... ithukellam oru refree, moonu umpire, . .. !

Rahul :
Neenga thanada ball pootiinga. .. .yen appadi pootinge..

Bermuda Bowler :
Athu . .. . unga batsmen oru than sonnan .. namma eppadi adichallum ivan nalla panthu podranda...ivan romba nallavaninnutaan. .. ..da

Cricket Council :Arasiyalla idhellam sahajamappa

One spectator from Lucknow observed on live TV that after the debacle with Bangladesh, India has lost its shirt. Hope they do not lose their Bermuda (trouser shorts) afterwards.

So, today we will know if Sri Lankans takes away the Bermudas.

Hope Rahuls's boys have the habit of putting on "Langoti" (aka Kachcha, Komanon) before wearing outer garments.

HA HA!

Aiyayyo ! Aiyayyooooooooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back