• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Triyambaka manthiram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am giving an explanation taken from a website which explains best but there is an error in the General Translation for which I am correcting the error since you want to know the meaning of this Mantra.

What I am pasting is the corrected version.

The last line of the mantra is Mrityor Mukshiya Maa Amrtaat which is most commonly thought of as to Liberate us from Death for the sake of Immortality but the actual meaning is Liberate us from Death and Not liberate us from Immortality.
The word "Maa" is Sanskrit carries the meaning NO or NOT.

Not liberate us from Immortality means that we should not be mortals forever and in this prayer we are praying for us to transcend the Cycle of Life and Death.
Its a slight twist of words that is most of the while sort of not noted and written sometimes a bit off course.
I have pasted the corrected version below.

The Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra

OM. Tryambakam yajamahe
Sugandhim pushti-vardhanam
Urvarukamiva bandhanaan
Mrityor mukshiya maamritat

Syllable Meaning of Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra
  • ॐ aum = is a sacred/mystical syllable in Sanatan Dharma
  • tryambakam = the three-eyed one (Lord Shiva)
  • yajāmahe = We worship, adore, honor, revere
  • sugandhim = sweet smelling, fragrant
  • pushti = A well-nourished condition, thriving, prosperous, fullness of life
  • vardhanam = One who nourishes, strengthens, causes to increase (in health, wealth, well-being); who gladdens, exhilarates, and restores health; a good gardener
  • urvārukam = cucumber <a kind of Indian vegetable>
  • iva = like, just as
  • bandhanān = “from captivity” {i.e. from the stem of the cucumber} (of the gourd);(the ending is actually long a then -d which changes to n/anusvara because of sandhi)
  • mrityor = From death
  • mukṣīya= Free us, liberate us
  • maa = not
  • āmṛtāt = [from] immortality
General Translation

We hail the fragrant Three-eyed One who nourishes [all] and increases the [sweet] fullness of life. As the cucumber is liberated from captivity [from its stem], may we [also] be liberated (mukshiya) from death (mrityor)and not from immortality (maamritaat)

Corrected and Taken from :Powerful Way to Well Being & Success | Welcome to Thankyou Sai Baba

Last edited:
The sanskrit word "tryambaka" may also mean 'one with three mothers' and it has also been explained as one 'having three eyes' (vājasaneya saṃhitā3, 57). Mahabharata calls Rudra as tryambka "because he worships three goddesses -the sky, water and the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back