• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Brahmin has to have vibhuti on his forehead while doing his nithyakarma like Sandhyavandanam. Tarpanam or Ceremony has to be performed during midday afte completing maadhyannikam. And the brahmin’s forehead should not have vibhuti while performing tarpanam, etc. But if one has vibhuti to perform Sandhyavandanam and then proceeds to do Tarpanam or ceremony, should one remove the vibhuti or is it ok to leave it?

I would appreciate the views of our learned members in this regard.

For SVs it's Urdhva pundramஊர்த்வ புண்ட்ரம்/திருமண்-ஶ்ரீசூர்ணம்
or if one has undergone samasrayanam, dwadasa Urdhva pundram(
பன்னிரெண்டு திருமண்-ஶ்ரீசூர்ணம்)(popularly called nAmam due to the twelve nAmams that are recited when adorning it)

This is worn through out the day for all anushtanams.There are exceptions during Theetu periods.

I have raised this question several times with my family members and sastrigals who come to our house for religious happenings and they have have always told that there are five things which we should avoid during amavasya and pitru dinams they are vibhuti , kolam , lamp, veda chanting and rudraksham and said that these were not liked by the pitrus and also mentioned in our vedas. so many of the not so knowledegable and youngsters would get get some clarity if the discussion progresses by the learned members of this forum.
Looking forward to the discussion

For SVs it's Urdhva pundramஊர்த்வ புண்ட்ரம்/திருமண்-ஶ்ரீசூர்ணம்
or if one has undergone samasrayanam, dwadasa Urdhva pundram(
பன்னிரெண்டு திருமண்-ஶ்ரீசூர்ணம்)(popularly called nAmam due to the twelve nAmams that are recited when adorning it)

This is worn through out the day for all anushtanams.There are exceptions during Theetu periods.
Please permit me to add a couple comments. For SVs, Tarpanam and other pitru karyam are performed with the thiruman kappu, 12 after samasrayanam. The only time SVs are to be without thiruman kappu is during teettu time, however, even during teettu trikala sandhya must not be abandoned, but only 10 repetitions of Gayatri.

It is interesting that many so called weekend SVs these days have only single sri choornam on their forehead. Sporting single sri chooram is like being Ravana, separating Perumal from piratti. But then, how many of these single sri choornam sporting SVs know or care about such fine points?

Cheers!

Sandyavandanam kalam is early morning . THARPANAM AND SHRADHAM should be perform during midday after taking bath . At that time performing madhyanikam (after bath) it is not necessary to have the vibhuti at forehead because JALAM ETHI BHASMA AS SAID IN VEDA so water can be use instead of vibhuti on forhead .

Some people hasa to have vibhuti on their fprehead when they performing tarpanam and shradham becaue that is their VITTU SAMPRDAYAM.

Some has to have vibhuti at their forehead when they performing tarpanam and shradham because their VITTU SAMPRADAYAM . ELDER DONE LIKE THAT OF THEIR HOUSE

Theetu

Please permit me to add a couple comments. For SVs, Tarpanam and other pitru karyam are performed with the thiruman kappu, 12 after samasrayanam. The only time SVs are to be without thiruman kappu is during teettu time, however, even during teettu trikala sandhya must not be abandoned, but only 10 repetitions of Gayatri.

It is interesting that many so called weekend SVs these days have only single sri choornam on their forehead. Sporting single sri chooram is like being Ravana, separating Perumal from piratti. But then, how many of these single sri choornam sporting SVs know or care about such fine points?

Cheers!

During Theetu only thiruman(without Srichurnam) is to be sported and for those who have undergone samasrayanam/pancha samskaram 12 Thirumans(without Srichurnam) is to be adorned.Hence only Thiruman should never be sported on other days.

Also as Sriman Nara has mentioned, only Srichurnam also should not be adorned as it is separating perumal from piratti.

On the 10th day after the peroformance of Ananda Homam, Thiruman along with Srichurnam is to be adorned as usual, though the theetu itself lasts till suryodayam on the 11th day.

sandhyavandanam is mandatory during Theetu (only 10 gayatris similar to Pradosha sandyavandanam). Also Rishi-chandas-devata is to be omitted for all mantras.

deva yagyam - Thiruvaradanam , Brahma Yagyam are not be performed during Theetu.

I thank all the contributors.

While we are still discussing this issue, the other issue I want to raise is whether one should (or one can) perform sandyavandanam while there is a dead body in the house.

The defenition of "teetu" in post 5 & 9: does it refer only to "bad teetu" (like death) or to "good teetu" (like birth) as well.

Last edited:
dobut putting on sacred marks.

A person after wearing his clothes , and washing his legs, do aachamanam, should put on sacred marks on his body , He may wear triple marks on his forehead with sacred ashes, sandal paste, or white holy earth according to his family tradition.

He must put on these sacred marks before he is engaged in any religious or auspicious act. Gopi chandhana dhaarana vidhi is there in vaasudevopanishad. gopichandana paapagna vishnu deha samudhbhava chakrankitha namasthubhyam dhaaranaan mukthiko bhava do praarthana like this . then take a small quantity of water with chanting imamme and gange manthras and by chanting vishnornukam mantra make gopi chandhanam paste by rotating gopi chandanam in the left hand palm water by the right hand gopi chandanam.

Take this paste chanting the rukku atho deva avanthuthaha then chant visnu gayathri 3 times then with your ring finger put on sacred marks by chanting kesavadhi naamaas in forehead, chest, stomach. neck. right and left upper hand, right and left neck, and in low back etc,then in head.

Vishnu smruthi says you must wear sacred marks triple marks with holy earth while doing yagyam,dhaanam, japam, homam,vedhas chanting and pithru tharpanam,
Kaalaagni rudhropanishad says how to wear sacred marks with sacred ashes. place the sacred ashes in your left palm by chanting sathyojaadham,and other five manthras then chant agnirithi manthram maanasthoke manthram mix with water then apply tnis in your head, forehead, chest ,upper hand by chanting thrayambagam an d thryaarusham manthras.

Rishi kaathyayanar says during japam, homam, yagyam,vaishvadevam, deva pooja, sradham one must wear vibhudhi mixed with water make it as a paste and place it in the forehead etc; donot use umi ashes or stone powder as sacred marks in your forehead. you may use turmeric kumkumam in your forehead.

vyasar says without sacred marks in your forehead you should not do any karmas. It becomes waste if you do other karmas and dhaanams without performing sandhyavandhanam.

During pollution (theetu) birth or death theetu For brahmins during sandhya times no pollution; you must do sandhya vandhanam pollution starts again after finishing sandhyavandanam. also during agnihothram time there is no pollution for brahmins. Rishi pulasthiar says do sandhya vandhanam and gayathri japam during birth and death pollution time. don't chant manthras. think the manthras in your mind. do pranayamam without manthras.

vyasar says while giving argyam chant manthras. then do pradhakshinam and do kesavadhi tharpanam. do not chant gayathri manthram think the manthras in your mind for ten times during pollution times.

Even if the dead body is there in the house you must do sandhya vandhanam and gayathri japam in a distant place for example in the next house road place. you may wear vibudhi in your fore head without mixing with water as sacred ashes for the 12 days.

Taken from samkshaba dharma sastram book written by venkata ram a sastrigal and published by heritage india educational trust sanskrit college road mylapore chennai as per the request of maha periaval chandra sekarendhra saraswathi swamigal in the year 1988; page no 131 and 231.

smiriti karthas are as follows; manu;brahaspathy;dhakshan;gowthamar; yaman; angiras;yaagyawalkiyar; prachethas; sadhathapar; parasarar;samvarthar; sukrar;sankar;vihithar; athri;vishnu;aapasthambar; haaridhar. these maharishis are smirithi karthas.;

18 soothra kaarargal; Poorva soothram are nine as follows; aapasthambam; bodhayanam;sathyashaadam;thraahyaayanam;agasthyam;sagalyam;aashvalaayanam; saambaveeyam and kaathyaayanam.

Apara soothram are nine as follows vaikaanasam;sownakeeyam; bharadhwajam; aagnivesyam;jaimaneeyam; maadhunyam;maadhyanthinam;koundinyam and kousheedhakam.

All the karmas are to be done according to their soothras.If it is not available in their soothram and available in other soothram you are permitted to do that from other soothram provided it is not contrary to your soothram. vradhamnu says you can do as per bodhaayana soothram if you are not able to follow your soothram.
some rishi says you can place vibudhi and some rishi says you should not wear vibhudhi during sratham. so people says as per your kulaachaaram as per the same way your fore fathers had done you can do.

During solar or lunar eclipse pollution is not there. you must do tharpanam and manthra japam. after eclipse is over pollution starts again.
On sradha day take bath in the morning apply vibhudhi in your fore head and do sandhya vandhanam and gayathri japam . and after giving oil to sastrigal you have to take bath again and then only you must start sratham. at that time you should or should not wear vibhudhi . as per the way your fore fathers adopted. If you want you may study your soothram and follow the soothram way.

....While we are still discussing this issue, the other issue I want to raise is whether one should (or one can) perform sandyavandanam while there is a dead body in the house.
Siva, as far as I know, there is no exemption for skipping sandhyavandhanam. For SVs, not even a sanyasee is exempt from performing them. The only restriction is 10 repetitions of gayathri during theettu.

Further, sandhaya is not to be performed inside a house anyway, it must be performed outside.

Cheers!

My sincere thanks to kgopalan and nara for their above posts. These posts give me good insight. Btw, what is "kesavadhi naamaa"?

Last edited:
hi siva sir,
kesavadi naama....kesava and 12 naamas...means kesava ,narayana,madhava, sridhara, rishikesa, pandmanabha , damodhara,

sankarshana, pradhyumna etc...am i correct nara sir?

regards
tbs

..kesava and 12 naamas...means kesava ,narayana,madhava, sridhara, rishikesa, pandmanabha , damodhara, sankarshana, pradhyumna etc...am i correct nara sir?
tbs sir, you are correct.

Pundara samskara, one of the Pancha Samskaras initiated by the acharya that is also known as as Samasrayanam, requires wearing twelve thiruman/Sri Churnam in twelve locations of the upper body. From then on, one is supposed to wear this 12 pundaras called Thiruman KAppu.

Each place has a name of Lord Sriman Narayana and laskhmi to be invoked. The places on your body where you wear the pundaras are starting from forehead, middle belly, middle chest, middle neck, right stomach, right biceps, right side of the neck, left stomach, left biceps, left neck, back of the neck, and back at the end of the spinal chord.

When wearing the thiruman you recite the name and manthras for Kesava, Narayana, Madahava, Govinda, Vishnu, Madusuthana, Thiruvikrama, Vamana, Sridhara, Hrishikesa, Padmanabha, Damodhara. Those who have done achamana properly will recognize these names.

Then, when you wear Sri Churnam, in the same order, you recite the names, Sri, Amruthodhbava, Kamala, Chandrasodari, Vishnu Patni, Vaishnavi, Vararoha, Hari Vallabha, Sharngini, Deva Devika, MahaLakshmi, and Soorasundari.

I have observed many weekend SV Brahmins show scant knowledge about the order or the invocation when putting on the Thiruman kappu.

Cheers!

hi nara sir,
thank u so much....its called dwadasa nama of sriman narayana according to SVs.....

regards
tbs

Thanks again.

I chant, "Kesava, Narayana, Madhawa...." since I am a Telugu Brahmin. I believe Tamil brahmins chant, "Achutaa Anantha, Govinda...". I would like to know what iyengars do (vadakalai and tenkalai). Btw, why is it different for different groups?

...I chant, "Kesava, Narayana, Madhawa...." since I am a Telugu Brahmin. I believe Tamil brahmins chant, "Achutaa Anantha, Govinda...". I would like to know what iyengars do (vadakalai and tenkalai). Btw, why is it different for different groups?
Siva, Achamanam starts with Achutaa Anantha, Govinda, when three sips of water are taken in. Then, after rinsing the hand, you start touching various parts of the torso and this part goes as Kesava, Narayana, Madhawa.. There is no difference on this among various groups as far as I know.

Cheers!

Srautha Achamanam

The Srautha Achamanam which is performed during Brahma Yagyam, one partakes water thrice (without recitation of Namas) followed by touching the parts of the body, slightly different from the Smartha Achamanam.

I chant "Kesava, Narayana, Madhawa" while doing achamanam. After that I touch different parts of body starting from "Vishnu" to "Sri Krishna". As I sai before, I follow Andhra sampradhaya. We do not do "Suklam baradaram" while beginning sandyavandanam.

On shraardam day, I and my wife do not have any mark on our forehead till the panda prathaanam is over. After that, both of us have our marks on our forehead. We light the lamp also only then. In the evening, we go to temple or do prayers at home, as we would do on any other day.

I want to know whether we should have the same practice for Tarpanam day also. There is one difference. Tarpanam gets over before I leave for work. Can I then chant Bagawan Nama on my way to work?

After tharpanam is over you both can have your mark on your forehead. then do brahmayagyam. Then you can chant bagwan nama on woy to work.On tharpanam day your wife can have her mark on the forehead.as usual.. Your wife need not wait for the tharpanam. As your wife is preparing sratha samayal only on sratha day your wife can have her marks after pinda prathanam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back