• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

New cardiac risk score for South Asians

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems Indian (South Asians) are more at risk for heart problems!

I am not sure how the TB population fares in this..

Visit this link and share your thoughts!

Dr Renu - Any thoughts on this?

Yes, diabetes and atherosclerosis are very common for south Indians. A gentleman (Indian expatriat) at Illinois has spent many years researching this problem. I believe Rice is the primary cause of this problem, since North Indians don't appear to be affected. South Indians do not seem to eat anything else but rice. As one grows older the body requires more proteins and less of carbohydrates. Also, the quality of rice has degraded over the decades from many factors - overproductivity in the same soil, pesticides, pollutants, contaminants... - all have resulted in more volume less quality rice. Added to the problem is lack of necessary vitamins.

India needs to pay more attention to diet and nutrition, exercises, health and fitness. Less attention to Television! (I stopped watching TV more than a decade ago).

Yes, diabetes and atherosclerosis are very common for south Indians. A gentleman (Indian expatriat) at Illinois has spent many years researching this problem. I believe Rice is the primary cause of this problem, since North Indians don't appear to be affected. South Indians do not seem to eat anything else but rice. As one grows older the body requires more proteins and less of carbohydrates. Also, the quality of rice has degraded over the decades from many factors - overproductivity in the same soil, pesticides, pollutants, contaminants... - all have resulted in more volume less quality rice. Added to the problem is lack of necessary vitamins.

India needs to pay more attention to diet and nutrition, exercises, health and fitness. Less attention to Television! (I stopped watching TV more than a decade ago).

The current focus of health conscious people here in USA seems to be on this grain (rather seed) called Quinoa.

I am not sure if it is available in India but it is grown mostly in South America and in Israel and imported here (USA)

We have developed a taste for this - and have mostly replaced rice with this seed whenever it makes sense. Of course you cannot use this in making Idli and Dosa etc
icon7.png

Also I have heard that use of Microwave cooking has accelerated the spread of many diseases. There was no scientific study of done or possible (food lobby of the west is very powerful).

It is hard to believe that Diabetes which also can increase risk of heart diseases is not limited to rich people in India - even Riksha-wallas who do manual labor all day seem to be prone to Diabetes

Microwaves are mostly in cities. With frequent power outages and the need to cook rice in pressure cookers, I doubt if people are heavily reliant on those ovens. Our home has one and it is rarely put to use.

If the cause is genetic I'd like to know what differentiated N.Indians. I don't think diabetes in India is a dravidian disease, though such problems are sometimes known to be ethnically related (for example, Turkish have a very low LDL and high incidents of heart diseases. The Irish and Austrians are mostly O-group and disposed to dopaminergic disorders in late years. So, ethnicity is not ruled out in many disease conditions, but in India I am not sure if that is the case, considering north and south.)

It seems Indian (South Asians) are more at risk for heart problems!

I am not sure how the TB population fares in this..

Visit this link and share your thoughts!

Dr Renu - Any thoughts on this?

I have noted that Indians no matter what type have central weight distribution.
Have you noticed that Indians tend to have thin legs but deposit fat more around the midsection
Thats a major Cardiovascular Risk.
Since we cant really make much changes to body structure we can modify our diet and the way we exercise.

Now coming to diet.The Indian diet tends to be higher in carbohydrate and low in protein.
White rice has higher Glycemic Index than unpolished rice or brown/red rice and foods with high glycemic index triggers the spike in Insulin from the pancreas and Insulin favors lipogenesis(fat depostion).

The traditional Indian diet I feel is still healthy provided whole wheat Chapatis and unpolished rice are eaten.
I have noted that chinese have a very low risk for Cardiovascular disease and I have observed the diet of chinese which is soup based and have lots of green leafy vegetables.

The Indian diet lacks this green leafy vegetables esp in India.Even if green leafy vegs are taken its make into a Saag or some very mashed styled.
Chinese do not mash their green leafy vegetables.They cook it almost full and long.
This doesnt damage the structure of the fibre present in the vegetable and aids in slowing down the absorption of fat in the body.

The vegetables eaten by us Indians are mainly carbohydrate rich tubers which add on calories with their varying Glycemic Index.

Ok coming to protein, I feel a watery Sambar has not much protein value so its better if Dhal is made thicker for a higher protein content.

We should also add more nuts into the diet which has protein and healthy unsaturated fats.

Avoid margarine and "Vanaspati" which is rich in Trans fatty acid which causes Aterial Blockage(Arteriosclerosis)

Next..Exercise..Most Indians are not really into Exercise except a few.
We need at least 5 times a week moderate exercise which has cardiovascular benefits eg Brisk walking,Jogging,Swimming,Cycling etc.
Step up the intensity after a while so that body doesnt get accustomed to the routine and go into a Plateau state and we wont see any weight loss of much benefits.
Keep changing the exercise patterns and do not stick to same routine.
Do not let the body know what we plan for tommorow as an exercise, keep challenging the body to higher limits and as a relaxation we can add on Yoga or Pliates.

And since Indians tend to have thin limbs and central weight distribution we can combat this by doing isotonic exercises that is lifting weights to build muscle.
In the gym or at home,never forget to do moderate weight lifting to build muscle.
Muscle increases body metabolism and increase its fat burning capacity.
Muscle is more compact and weighs 3 x more than fat.

Believe me this advice works.I have been practising this all these years and I can still fit into what I wore in College.
We just need some modification in diet and lifestyle to be healthy.

Last edited:
I have noted that Indians no matter what type have central weight distribution.
Have you noticed that Indians tend to have thin legs but deposit fat more around the midsection
Thats a major Cardiovascular Risk.
Since we cant really make much changes to body structure we can modify our diet and the way we exercise.

Now coming to diet.The Indian diet tends to be higher in carbohydrate and low in protein.
White rice has higher Glycemic Index than unpolished rice or brown/red rice and foods with high glycemic index triggers the spike in Insulin from the pancreas and Insulin favors lipogenesis(fat depostion).

The traditional Indian diet I feel is still healthy provided whole wheat Chapatis and unpolished rice are eaten.
I have noted that chinese have a very low risk for Cardiovascular disease and I have observed the diet of chinese which is soup based and have lots of green leafy vegetables.

The Indian diet lacks this green leafy vegetables esp in India.Even if green leafy vegs are taken its make into a Saag or some very mashed styled.
Chinese do not mash their green leafy vegetables.They cook it almost full and long.
This doesnt damage the structure of the fibre present in the vegetable and aids in slowing down the absorption of fat in the body.

The vegetables eaten by us Indians are mainly carbohydrate rich tubers which add on calories with their varying Glycemic Index.

Ok coming to protein, I feel a watery Sambar has not much protein value so its better if Dhal is made thicker for a higher protein content.

We should also add more nuts into the diet which has protein and healthy unsaturated fats.

Avoid margarine and "Vanaspati" which is rich in Trans fatty acid which causes Aterial Blockage(Arteriosclerosis)

Next..Exercise..Most Indians are not really into Exercise except a few.
We need at least 5 times a week moderate exercise which has cardiovascular benefits eg Brisk walking,Jogging,Swimming,Cycling etc.
Step up the intensity after a while so that body doesnt get accustomed to the routine and go into a Plateau state and we wont see any weight loss of much benefits.
Keep changing the exercise patterns and do not stick to same routine.
Do not let the body know what we plan for tommorow as an exercise, keep challenging the body to higher limits and as a relaxation we can add on Yoga or Pliates.

And since Indians tend to have thin limbs and central weight distribution we can combat this by doing isotonic exercises that is lifting weights to build muscle.
In the gym or at home,never forget to do moderate weight lifting to build muscle.
Muscle increases body metabolism and increase its fat burning capacity.
Muscle is more compact and weighs 3 x more than fat.

Believe me this advice works.I have been practising this all these years and I can still fit into what I wore in College.
We just need some modification in diet and lifestyle to be healthy.

Renu - Very comprehensive write up indeed. You may want to blog this!
Not sure if you have any views on the seed/grain Quinoa.

In addition to mid-section weight distribution is there a genetic pre-disposition for low HDL and high triglycerides (TGL). Even Indians in USA who maintain their weight, exercise well 5 times a week and eat a more protein rich diet (my samples cases are all vegetarians) seem to have low HDL compared to the Occidental population and they tended to have high TGL also .

I attribute some of problems to stress and confused identities even while possibly acknowledging genetic predisposition.
So a practice of meditation, right attitude towards life and others, and exercise such a Pranayama could help control the Stress aspects.
I think the word competition is 'worshiped' and seen as life blood to progress. Actually this causes one to not acknowledge one's unique manifestation. The ads that sell things by telling us how inadequate we are contribute to stress to. So some of these other practices like daily meditation to cleanse our mind of these impurities is needed to have a healthy body. Do you agree and have more to add if you do?

Those immersed in Sanathana Dharma eons ago wanted to create a 'competition-less society' but did not succeed ..

Renu - Very comprehensive write up indeed. You may want to blog this!
Not sure if you have any views on the seed/grain Quinoa.

In addition to mid-section weight distribution is there a genetic pre-disposition for low HDL and high triglycerides (TGL). Even Indians in USA who maintain their weight, exercise well 5 times a week and eat a more protein rich diet (my samples cases are all vegetarians) seem to have low HDL compared to the Occidental population and they tended to have high TGL also .

I attribute some of problems to stress and confused identities even while possibly acknowledging genetic predisposition.
So a practice of meditation, right attitude towards life and others, and exercise such a Pranayama could help control the Stress aspects.
I think the word competition is 'worshiped' and seen as life blood to progress. Actually this causes one to not acknowledge one's unique manifestation. The ads that sell things by telling us how inadequate we are contribute to stress to. So some of these other practices like daily meditation to cleanse our mind of these impurities is needed to have a healthy body. Do you agree and have more to add if you do?

Those immersed in Sanathana Dharma eons ago wanted to create a 'competition-less society' but did not succeed ..

TKS,

I might want to think that genetic predisposition could be caused by lifestyle over generations and might take sometime to change.
May be in generations to come we might see some different predispositions.

Ok coming to exercise.Most of us make the mistake of exercising in the Comfort Zone and not really hit fat burning or aerobic zone.Many of us are not exercising effectively so we dont see changes in LDL,HDL,TG etc.

Read this :Gives info about Target Heart Rate and effective exercise.

Tool: Target heart rate calculator - MayoClinic.com

You are spot on about stress and we need to have a Holistic attitude towards life and all aspects of life(Physical,mental and spiritual)need to be given consideration.

Sanathana Dharma has the best answer to beat stress ....

Karmanyevaadhikaraste Ma phalesu kadacana,Ma Karma Phala Heturbhurmatey Sangostvaakarmani

"Keep changing the exercise patterns and do not stick to same routine.
Do not let the body know what we plan for tommorow as an exercise, keep challenging the body to higher limits..."

Hi Renuka:

I don't agree with this statement... please talk to any sportsperson or athlete, who keeps nearly the same routine all years...

The key is the excess calorie, if any, should be converted to muscle rather than fat... and we should never allow fat to accumulate in the abdomen area, that's all.

I have been maintaining my BMI around 22-24, with about 4 miles a day brisk walk and a 40 min swim in my pool...nearly everyday in the past 10 years.

I pass the "Stress Test" every year in the past 10 years... my triglyerides, LDL and vLDL are low and my HDL is high..
and I sleep like a baby in the night (about 6-7 hrs)!

Do not let the body know what we plan for tommorow as an exercise, keep challenging the body to higher limits..."

Hi Renuka:

I don't agree with this statement... please talk to any sportsperson or athlete, who keeps nearly the same routine all years...

The key is the excess calorie, if any, should be converted to muscle rather than fat... and we should never allow fat to accumulate in the abdomen area, that's all.

I have been maintaining my BMI around 22-24, with about 4 miles a day brisk walk and a 40 min swim in my pool...nearly everyday in the past 10 years.

I pass the "Stress Test" every year in the past 10 years... my triglyerides, LDL and vLDL are low and my HDL is high..
and I sleep like a baby in the night (about 6-7 hrs)!

Dear Yamaka,

To common non athletes like us,an athletes routine of training might look the same but its not.
They include interval blast training in their otherwise "normal" routine from time to time.

Will give you a simple example:Just say an athletes goes for his usual jog for 45 min a day.It will look the same for us but he will be including interval blast sequences say sprinting for about 30 secs at Perceived Exertion Rate(PER) of 8-10 and then jog back at PER 5-6 again and he will repeat this pattern at about every 2 mins.

The next day he might train at a lower PER but for a longer period of jogging and following day he might want to go ala Mike Tyson and include some skipping in his routine of Cardiovascular exercise.

The key is not always excess calories(thats the old school of thought)the key is to revive and spike up the metabolism and as long we challenge the body physically and mentally we are on the right track.

Yamaka a person might be within the normal BMI but body fat % can be higher than a person with a higher BMI.
In fact BMI is not really a reliable tool anyomore and body fat % and waist circumference is used to gauge a persons cardivascular risk.
That too body fat % only measures adipose tissue that can be measured by a caliper and does not really give an idea of internal organ covering fat %

And just point I want to highlight.
Muscle and fat cells are totally different.
Muscle is never converted to fat or vice versa.
Skeletal muscle is spindle shaped with centrally placed nucleus and fat cells have a honey combed loculated shape with nucleus that gives a signet ring appearance.
Fat cells also never disappear unless we do liposuction.When we lose weight the fat cells simply shrink only to be filled up later when metabolism dips or excessive calories are consumed.

Many feel that when we dont exercise muscle gets turned to fat.Actually when we do not exercise muscle undergoes atrophy and since activity is less there is a positive balance calories situation and fat cells get filled up and hence we put on weight.

A simple fitness magazine esp Mens Health Magazine from US gives detail write up on New Training Methods and Reviving Metabolism.Its easy to digest the info there.
Anyone can read it.

Last edited:
Dear Yamaka,

To common non athletes like us,an athletes routine of training might look the same but its not.
They include interval blast training in their otherwise "normal" routine from time to time.

Will give you a simple example:Just say an athletes goes for his usual jog for 45 min a day.It will look the same for us but he will be including interval blast sequences say sprinting for about 30 secs at Perceived Exertion Rate(PER) of 8-10 and then jog back at PER 5-6 again and he will repeat this pattern at about every 2 mins.

The next day he might train at a lower PER but for a longer period of jogging and following day he might want to go ala Mike Tyson and include some skipping in his routine of Cardiovascular exercise.

The key is not always excess calories(thats the old school of thought)the key is to revive and spike up the metabolism and as long we challenge the body physically and mentally we are on the right track.

Yamaka a person might be within the normal BMI but body fat % can be higher than a person with a higher BMI.
In fact BMI is not really a reliable tool anyomore and body fat % and waist circumference is used to gauge a persons cardivascular risk.
That too body fat % only measures adipose tissue that can be measured by a caliper and does not really give an idea of internal organ covering fat %

Skeletal muscle is spindle shaped with centrally placed nucleus and fat cells have a honey combed loculated shape with nucleus that gives a signet ring appearance.
Fat cells also never disappear unless we do liposuction.When we lose weight the fat cells simply shrink only to be filled up later when metabolism dips or excessive calories are consumed.

Many feel that when we dont exercise muscle gets turned to fat.Actually when we do not exercise muscle undergoes atrophy and since activity is less there is a positive balance calories situation and fat cells get filled up and hence we put on weight.

A simple fitness magazine esp Mens Health Magazine from US gives detail write up on New Training Methods and Reviving Metabolism.Its easy to digest the info there.
Anyone can read it.

Hi Renuka:

I agree with some of your points, not all..

For non-athletes, a good brisk jog or walk for about 4 miles a day everyday is sufficient, and if possible a 40 min swim is more than enough to keep you physically fit - metabolically rejuvenated daily basis.

Calorie is the most important factor preferably about 40% from protein, 40% from carb and rest from fat. I agree with you on leafy vegetables; we need some almonds and raisins too!

A white collar male professional don't need to eat more than 1500 calories a day, and he can burn off about 200-300 calories in exercise. This will not give any excess calorie storage in fat cells (which always stays as a layer).

Muscle proteins always undergo break down and re-synthesis: this is the so-called protein turn over..wear and tear is common.. proteins can become glucose and fat via intermediary metabolism.

In TBs we have two distinct populations:

About 20% are poor and therefore malnourished.. they eat too much of white rice, little bit of protein; not much of vegetable or fruits.

The remaining 80% are nearly well to do.. they also eat too much of white rice, less protein and lots of whole milk (even though it's from animal source!).. many take too much of sweets, ghee and vanaspathi or Dalda which is the worst part of their calorie rich diet, which will definitely increase their triglycerides, LDL and vLDL - ideal for Atherosclerotic plaques... which leads to hypertension and heart disease, and diabetes.

All this can be corrected if they see their physician regularly, and take the "Stress Test" and Blood work once a year!

Nice topic for the rich TBs...

Peace.

Hi Renuka:

For non-athletes, a good brisk jog or walk for about 4 miles a day everyday is sufficient, and if possible a 40 min swim is more than enough to keep you physically fit - metabolically rejuvenated daily basis.

Calorie is the most important factor preferably about 40% from protein, 40% from carb and rest from fat. I agree with you on leafy vegetables; we need some almonds and raisins too!

A white collar male professional don't need to eat more than 1500 calories a day, and he can burn off about 200-300 calories in exercise. This will not give any excess calorie storage in fat cells (which always stays as a layer).

Muscle proteins always undergo break down and re-synthesis: this is the so-called protein turn over..wear and tear is common.. proteins can become glucose and fat via intermediary metabolism.

About 20% are poor and therefore malnourished.. they eat too much of white rice, little bit of protein; not much of vegetable or fruits.

The remaining 80% are nearly well to do.. they also eat too much of white rice, less protein and lots of whole milk (even though it's from animal source!).. many take too much of sweets, ghee and vanaspathi or Dalda which is the worst part of their calorie rich diet, which will definitely increase their triglycerides, LDL and vLDL - ideal for Atherosclerotic plaques... which leads to hypertension and heart disease, and diabetes.

All this can be corrected if they see their physician regularly, and take the "Stress Test" and Blood work once a year!

Peace.

I agree with some of your points but I was talking of the Indian diet here and not TB or Non TB diet.
I dont apply the divide and rule policy in what ever I write.

Amin

Dear Yamaka,

Anyone can read it.

dear renuka and yamaka,

I would agree with Shri Renuka, but i would like to specify one more thing. In exercise physiology there are two major terms called overload and specificity. Overload principle generally applies to everyone.According to this when our body gets adapted to a specific load ( intensity of exs) we need to increase the load, for the training to continue.

Athletes and sportspersons also use this principle along with the other principle i mentioned above ie. specificity.This principle states that the training would take place according to the training task.They need to undergone training for the game they intend to participate. So their training pattern remains same to an extent through the year..( but not completely). Its not necessary for the general population to completely follow specificity principle.

For general population research suggests that an exercise programme of 40 mins ,having warm up (5-10min)- training(20-30min)-cool down5-10min) would help in weight management and enhance physical fitness. Moderate intensity exercise 40 mins is adviced for burning fat. High intensity exercise for short duration will only burn your carbohydrates.

Please do remember to stretch your muscles with proper technique pre and post exercise. This will prevent the injuries due to sudden change in activity levels...

hope this information helps....

Shreevidya K.

dear renuka and yamaka,

I would agree with Shri Renuka, but i would like to specify one more thing. In exercise physiology there are two major terms called overload and specificity. Overload principle generally applies to everyone.According to this when our body gets adapted to a specific load ( intensity of exs) we need to increase the load, for the training to continue.

Athletes and sportspersons also use this principle along with the other principle i mentioned above ie. specificity.This principle states that the training would take place according to the training task.They need to undergone training for the game they intend to participate. So their training pattern remains same to an extent through the year..( but not completely). Its not necessary for the general population to completely follow specificity principle.

For general population research suggests that an exercise programme of 40 mins ,having warm up (5-10min)- training(20-30min)-cool down5-10min) would help in weight management and enhance physical fitness. Moderate intensity exercise 40 mins is adviced for burning fat. High intensity exercise for short duration will only burn your carbohydrates.

Please do remember to stretch your muscles with proper technique pre and post exercise. This will prevent the injuries due to sudden change in activity levels...

hope this information helps....

Shreevidya K.

Thank you Dr for the added info.Hope to see more of you here.

Hi Renuka:

Peace.

Yam-aka,

Where is ur clinic?

I agree with some of your points but I was talking of the Indian diet here and not TB or Non TB diet.
I dont apply the divide and rule policy in what ever I write.

Amin

Hi Renuka:

1. Many people often remind me that this is a TB Forum, therefore write things useful to TBs, they say.. I agree.

2. Most MDs here emphasize the difference between socio-economic subgroups and their diets and habits; this gives them real insights into how to advice their patients meaningfully.

If you think this is "a divide and rule policy", you may have to get a Second Opinion, LOL.

Mind you, here we are not talking about God, Politics or Vedas. We talk about Diets and Health.

Amen.

Hi dr.S:

Do not let the body know what we plan for tommorow as an exercise....."

Can you comment on this statement, please?

Cheers.

Hi Renuka:

1. Many people often remind me that this is a TB Forum, therefore write things useful to TBs, they say.. I agree.

2. Most MDs here emphasize the difference between socio-economic subgroups and their diets and habits; this gives them real insights into how to advice their patients meaningfully.

If you think this is "a divide and rule policy", you may have to get a Second Opinion, LOL.

Mind you, here we are not talking about God, Politics or Vedas. We talk about Diets and Health.

Amen.

You know you are the most eco friendly person in this forum becos you keep recycling your posts.

Go Green Yamaka!!!!

You know you are the most eco friendly person in this forum becos you keep recycling your posts.

Go Green Yamaka!!!!

Renuka, I will follow your advice without a Second Opinion!

Show me the posts that I keep recycling in this Thread, please: I know I need to be obedient to "doctors"!

Laugh out loud, if you can.

Love

Y

Renuka, I will follow your advice without a Second Opinion!

Show me the posts that I keep recycling in this Thread, please: I know I need to be obedient to "doctors"!

Laugh out loud, if you can.

Love

Y

You Forgot!!!
Alzheimer's?

You Forgot!!!
Alzheimer's?

Dr Renu -

I started this thread with a serious question and you have provided comprehensive and complete answer.
I like your point about how to vary our exercise pattern. I may have heard this before but it was well stated by you and the links made me focus more on the points you raised.

I am trying to alter my exercise routine based on your recommendations.

One cannot fix character issues with exercise and diet LoL

Just say 'La ilaha ilAllah (Arabic: لا إله إلا الله‎, lā ʾilāha ʾillallāh)'

and we can move on LoL :car:

Dr Renu -

I started this thread with a serious question and you have provided comprehensive and complete answer.
I like your point about how to vary our exercise pattern. I may have heard this before but it was well stated by you and the links made me focus more on the points you raised.

I am trying to alter my exercise routine based on your recommendations.

One cannot fix character issues with exercise and diet LoL

Just say 'La ilaha ilAllah (Arabic: لا إله إلا الله‎, lā ʾilāha ʾillallāh)'

and we can move on LoL :car:

Here comes our resident Vedic Scholar... stand up!

I am impressed that you diagnosed AZ for me from Malaysia!

How many papers did you publish on amyloid plaques and hyper-phosphorylated tau proteins in my brain?
Oh, Yah, you checked my CSF!!!
.. or your friend Sai told you so!!!

Relax, Madam.

The sink is leaking again. Tommy: sweet but, no dark sarcasms again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back