• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Good old days of 70's, 80's and 90's...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did one survive growing up in the 70's, 80's and 90's?
We had no seatbelts, no airbags..

Cycling was like a breath of fresh air…

No safety helmets, knee pads or elbow pads, with plenty of cardboards
between spokes to make it sound like a motorbike…

When thirsty we only drank tap water, bottled water was still a mystery…

We kept busy collecting bits & pieces so we could build all sort of things
… and we were fearless on our bicycles even when the brakes failed going
downhill…

We were showing off how tough we are, by how high we could climb trees &
then jumping down….It was great fun….

We could stay out to play for hours, as long as we got back before dark,
in time for dinner…

We walked to school, or sometimes we even rode our bicycle.

We had no mobile phones, but we always managed to find each other…. How?

We lost teeth, broke arms & legs, we got cuts and bruises and bloody
noses…. nobody complained as we had so much fun, it wasn't anybody's
fault, only ours

We ate everything in sight, cakes, bread, chocolate, ice-cream, sweet
sugary drinks, fruits..yet, we stayed skinny by fooling around.

And if one of us was lucky to find a 1 litre coca cola bottle we all had a
swig from it & guess what? Nobody picked up any germs...

We did not have Play Stations, MP3, Nintendo's, I-Pods, Video games, 99
Cable TV channels, DVD's, Home Cinema, Home Computers, Laptops,
Chat-rooms, Internet, etc ...

BUT, we had REAL FRIENDS!!!!

We called on friends to come out to play, never rang the doorbell, just
went around the backdoor…

We played with sticks and stones, played cowboys and Indians, doctors and
nurses, hide and seek, soccer games, over and over again…

When we failed our exams we were given a second chance by simply repeating
the same grade…without visiting psychiatrists, psychologists or
counselors…

Such were the days…

We had freedom, success, disappointments and responsibilities. ..

Most of all, we learned to respect others…

Are YOU from that generation?? If that's the case, SHARE this to all your
friends from the same era…

this message will help them to forget the stress that surrounds us these
days….and just for few moments puts a smile to their faces as they
remember what life was really like in the good old days……

So nothing is really stopping us anyway.

I still enjoy climbing over the house gate even now when I forget my keys much to the suprise of the neighbours.

If I am sitting at the back seat of the car and want to come in front I just jump in front like what I did when I was a kid.

When I was pregnant I still never missed my bicycle rides in the evening till my mum was mad with me.

I still play hide and seek,cowboys and indians and play mad monster on rampage attack with my 11 year old son.

The eating food thing..I was never too fond of eating anyway and that habit still stayed with me.

after reading what you posted Dr Anandi..I feel OMG I havent changed!!!

dear anandi,

personally, i dont believe in the concept of 'good old days'.

as time moves on, our images get blurry, and we tend to focus, i think, in remembering the good experiences, and add to it, the icing of our imagination.

it is also good, that we have the capacity to 'forget' the past. for otherwise, we would be living in pain all the time. which is why, even after losing a loved one, we heal. there is always the தழும்பு to remind us of that pain. but thank god for our capacity to forget.

unless one is in a serious situation re health or otherwise, chances are, for most of us, the good days are current. today. this minute.

:)

Dear Dr. Anandi,

Oh. Those days were wonderful. I remember the Good old days of 40s and 50s, when many new inventions like electricity, music box , Radio, Aeroplane, telephone, Automobiles, Bioscope came into consumer use in Coimbatore.
The schools were functioning in big buildings with spacious sports grounds to play. There were trees to climb on the Roads. Municipal water tankers used to spray water on the roads to keep down dust. Bicyles have to pay license fee Rs2/- a year to Municipality and get it painted on the mud guard !. We used to travel by horse drawn Jutkas. How could I forget the old Tourers - the open cars with Four or Five seats and the two door sedans which followed later on the roads.

I can go on adding many more things which have vanished today, from my old memories. I have written my nostalgic memories about Coimbatore in my Blog "Down Memory lane - My Coimbatore".

Sapere Aude

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Kunjuppu sir,
I can't deny you because you always speak logic. Yes, in a way we have to live in the present, don't brood our self too much in the past and don't think too much and lose us in the future. Present is always precious and valuable. But those golden childhood days are something to be treasured and to be kept close to our hearts.
Why I am telling this because, as you know the facilities and limitations one had to face that time and also if you were living in a remote village of palakkad dist. With no other alternative with us, we had to live with it. There was nothing to feel sorry about too. Those days, we didn't know much about any other thing rather than enjoying the village life. The main entertainment was to visit temples of the village, deeparadhana at 6, dinner at 7:30, going to movies in the village theatre, very rare outing in a month to the nearby town, onam's flower carpets, and the competition among the girls to make it as big as possible. Early waking up, to go to the gramam's pond to have a bath in the early morning with mother, studying the early wee hours. Walking to school thro the paddy fields, coming home during lunch. Evening playing with gramam's friends. If you are sober and mild they cheat you too. then going home and crying... then scolding received from my nani( ammamma, maternal grandmother) before going to the temple, do the routine prayer at home...
Trust me Kunjuppu sir, those childhood days were something special to be cherished.
Because those days we were fresh not contaminated with the future plans, what to next after college, where to get admission, which job to be taken etc etc... When thinking starts hovering in our head... naturally we lose the charm of innocence... then we become busy and “no time” attitude comes. Now, I make "things to do list" every day... find myself allotting time for each and every thing... and at the end... one or two things remain pending to carry over to the next day..
It is true, we have to find ways to enjoy today's life too and we are doing so... but in between this hi tech life... our childhood memories are the diamonds to be polished once in while and to be wore as an imaginary ring to become a child once more at least for a few second in the imagination. For our self satisfaction, not to be shared with anyone... just to smile within ourselves... just for few seconds... close our eyes and imagine.. if a mild smile appear, thinking of all those childish stupidity we did... that itself is the best relaxation which even yoga or pranayam won't give...
This is my simple and emotional opinion... I hope you will agree with me.
Thank you, take care, all the best. Anandi

Dear Renuka,
You are right, those days are to be cherished and to be kept close to our heart. but I felt and noticed, our kids are more matured, more bright and sharp for their age. they will, because the exposure they are getting now, the facility they have is very different compared to our times. and we are there to guide them, we have in such a generation bracket, we have inherited the values and we know the struggle and we have come up in our academics and position with hard work.
Now we provide all the facility to our kids, which we can, so they may lack the feelings of struggle, they don't have to.. but when they take things easy sometimes, instantly we go back to our time unknowingly... without our knowledge.. which we can't help... it is an instant thinking process.
I find my self in this position sometimes.
Thank you Renuka, for the reply. Take care, keep in touch. all the best
Anandi

Dear Brahmanyan Sir,
Thank you so much for sharing those nostalgic memories with us. It is very precious. I can understand in your times, how things would be. But, that was a golden era. I love movies those times that was the only recreation I could get in a gramam. I liked Shivaji Ganeshan and MGR Movies and imitate the songs and dialogues at home. Still I like old songs; it gives me very much relaxation when I hear those songs even today.

Thank you sir once again to share your memories with us.

hi anandhi ,
i had three palakkad gramam experiences......like puthucode LP school life.....Pallasena LP school upto 4th std.....then 5th to 10th std

in chittur p s high school life.....only kaki drwaer with shirt allowed....approx 4 miles walking through paddy fields to school in

pallasena..only 2 students from gramam...ola kuda in rainy season....ola padakkam in vishu times....chittur kongan pada ....summer

vela season....innocent life...nice enjoying chittur puzha....learning cycle with out brake.....many times cycle bell never rings.......

rented cycyles for learning....many mischeous.......tried thiruttu dham with friends.......many complains to paati/thatha.....veshti is big

thing.....sastha preethi in first pandhi.....love to girls without serious life meaning....innocent kaadhal....may be infactuation with pattar

girl..imagination with nair girl....getting beating in school/home too.....but still unconditional love to parents as well as

friends.....using code name for girls...growing mustache.....kurumbu meesai.......

many more sweet memories.....countless....never come back again to this material life......

regards
tbs

Last edited:
Sowbagyavathy Anandi Ramakrishnan, Greetings.

Perceptions change between persons. Personally for me, 70s, 80s or 90s were no different to 2011. I can getback right into those days at anytime.

Last year I visited India along with my daughter. She says, I just transformed into a different person in the village. She never stopped laughing.

If I can be jovial when I have an inflammation in L4 and L5 touching the nerve endings in my spine, I can be jovial anywhere at anytime.

Good old days are in our minds. We can bring them back at any day in any situation. As got older, we 'learned' to become stressful. I did too. But there is no need. We should learn to enjoy.

YouTube - ‪Andavan Padachan‬‏

Cheers!

Dear all,
everything is in our mind, how to enjoy, when to enjoy... what to imagine and how to imagine... what to think and what to forget.... Pleasant memories we cherish, the unpleasant memories we try hard to forget and sometime get success, sometime not.
Our mind is innocent and childish... during the first state of our life-childhood... no mixing ups... just fresh and transparent as the morning breeze...as the state progresses, we engrossed our self in the survival mode... and priorities change... we become busy... yet we find time to relax... enjoy, write, travel etc... But... when we go back to the first state of our life... when we meet those childhood friends... it becomes a special treat for us... special enjoyment for us, special recreation for us...”something special”
Some of us might have felt and enjoyed both, city life and the village life ... it is ok.. Let us enjoy and cherish both as long as we are... let us treasure our precious memories and let us live in the present too. At least some of us have got the opportunity to share those memories to with all... rewinded back in the time machine to recollect those small small incidents... We did enjoy... And we are moving ahead in life... learning new things every day. All of us know that's life is all about... Time won't wait for any... it will keep on moving... it is up to us to go with the time and enjoy every bit of it. Thank you all... Have a pleasant day... enjoy... Take care...God Bless you... Keep in touch... All the best.

Anandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back