• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Perumazha Kaalam - Malayalam Movie. Heavy Drama. Good movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
raghy,

i love your selections of malayalam movies.

i have to confess that i do not watch all of them. mainly because there is only so much of sorrow, poverty and death, that i can swallow.

if you have not seen sancharram, please see it. it deals with a very delicate topic, in a very gentle way, and an upbeat ending.

to me, the ending is also important. ofcourse, there are some stories, which have to end in death and destruction.but not all of them. which is what i found in the recent small budget movies like mynaa. it is a involved and interesting story, but in the end, so much bloodshed? in fact the end twisted and turned a sweet story into a nasty one.

i saw your passenger. among the best movies i have seen.

yesterday, i saw, 'red swastik'. hindi, 2009. i cannot believe it. it could stand on its own, among better quality hollywood thrillers. it is free on youtube.

the most heartbreaking movie i saw and still think #1 on my list is thulabaaram. great music. beautiful sharada. but what a story!! those were the golden years of malayalam movies. :)

thank you raghy once again.

ps. malayalam comedies are awful. no?

Dear Sri.Kunjuppu, Greetings. It is nice to hear your appriciations. Thank you!

If you have not watched 'Perumazha kaalam', it is worth watching. Half the story is centered in Kalpathy. Yes, it is a sad movie; but with a positive ending. (I don't like negative ending movies).

I have not seen 'Sancharam'. I shall watch it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have few great comedy movies lined up. One by Jayaram and one by Srinivasan. (One of them is the oiginal version of 'Kuselan'; It is a great comdedy movie with a hint of drama in the end in Malayalam).

Also an inspiring movie by Jayaram. One more movie exposing corruption in real estate!

I just love Malayalam movies! Some of them are so nice!

Cheers!

dear raghy,

just looked at the wikipedia. very interesting. i think i will have some time tonight to view this. will report back.

Perumazhakkalam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also please let me know re jayaram movies.

this pattar, married to a nair, put his foot in his mouth, commenting that tamil girls were big and dark like buffaloes, during a TV interview. this was from a quote in one of his roles in a malayalam movie. the goof!! good looking goof though. the missus has hots for him ;)

B+

i just saw the movie perumazhakkalam.

i would give it B+. only because it had certain masala scenes and songs that could have been editted out.

the movie was 120 minute long, but should have been between 90 & 100 minutes, sans masala.

this is an oscar entry movie. the acting is so understated. it is very realistic, and brings out the power of women. sisterhood apparently cuts through caste and religion.

both meera jasmine and kavya madhavan very realistically portrayed their roles.

touched me was mamukoya, acting as abdu, meera's father - poignant and dignified, in the face of such a tragedy.

it is a heavy topic and the last scene brought tears to my eyes. a very upbeat and satisfying ending, which made it all worthwhile.

youtube had the movie in 12 parts of approximately 10 minutes each. one needed to restart the movie 12 times, but considering the heavy subject, the break provided a welcome relief.

thanks raghy.

Sri.Kunjppu,

Thanks for the comments. It's just a nice movie. Sure, it is not made to perfection. But when daring such a subject, understandably, the producer and director would be nervous; would try to add some lighter scenes. Recently I watched a 'Thulabaram' style movie, recent release in Malayalam. Although the acting was good, I didn't feel like posting that in the forum.

Cheers!

This movie once again shows the brahmin as the weaker party. If the muslim had been killed by an iyer, will the wife of that muslim ever pardon?

All those who claim to be brahmins here, please think.

This movie once again shows the brahmin as the weaker party. If the muslim had been killed by an iyer, will the wife of that muslim ever pardon?

sarma,

in fact ganga (kavya character) asks the same question to razia (meera jasmine) in the movie, and receives no answer.

i think, the intent of the movie, is that, love for humanity wins over the need for revenge. other points that struck me were, that forgiveness is a better feeling, because ganga could not live with the death of raziya's husband, when the decision for him to live or not, rests with her.

also, there is female bonding. both these women are 2nd rate members in their own household. as long as they 'behave' themselves, they are tolerated. so, here was a chance for ganga to assert herself.

raziya herself abjectly surrenders herself. she approaches ganga 4 times, each time, more pathetic and desperate. it was one of complete surrender, and begging for forgiveness and a chance. for raziya, life without her husband, is even more bleak, as we find, even before the husband is dead, the husband's cousin is making sexual overtures to her.

i thought the ending was also redeeming. the husband akbar, after 7 years in saudi prison, comes first on return to india, to thank ganga. we also find, ganga, in a small home business of her own, providing employment to two other poor women, making murukkus, a typical occupation of poor brahmins. but we find dignity and peace in her.

everyone wishes the killing did not happen. but then there is no story. is there?

i think, if the roles were reversed, forgiveness can come from raziya too. why not?

i also think, there was a brahmin character here, only because, as a community we are more 'mature' and less into getting worked up, over how cinema portrays us.

long ago when i saw padosan, and the mehmood caricatured us, i was upset. but since then, i don't care. apparently mehmood was close to the truth, as to how, tambrams were viewed in delhi and bombay of those times.

Sri.Sarma Sir, Greetings.

I am quite surprised with your comment. After watching this movie, any self respecting muslim would have thought, this movie is made to show an Hindu as a stronger party; any self respecting Hindu would have thought, a brahmin is shown as a stronger party.

Ganga had to have the time to come out of the initial disappointments, anger and the helpless feeling. In a short period, she had to go through all the initial shock and disappointment and transform herself to the 'saviour' situation. That was the 'steel' in her resolve; that resolve takes her through her life to support her child and live with dignity. Importantly, her husband was killed in a freak accident; it was never intentional.

When I watched the movie, I thought the story was leaning more towards Ganga character.

Cheers!

sarma,

in fact ganga (kavya character) asks the same question to razia (meera jasmine) in the movie, and receives no answer.

i think, the intent of the movie, is that, love for humanity wins over the need for revenge. other points that struck me were, that forgiveness is a better feeling, because ganga could not live with the death of raziya's husband, when the decision for him to live or not, rests with her.

also, there is female bonding. both these women are 2nd rate members in their own household. as long as they 'behave' themselves, they are tolerated. so, here was a chance for ganga to assert herself.

raziya herself abjectly surrenders herself. she approaches ganga 4 times, each time, more pathetic and desperate. it was one of complete surrender, and begging for forgiveness and a chance. for raziya, life without her husband, is even more bleak, as we find, even before the husband is dead, the husband's cousin is making sexual overtures to her.

i thought the ending was also redeeming. the husband akbar, after 7 years in saudi prison, comes first on return to india, to thank ganga. we also find, ganga, in a small home business of her own, providing employment to two other poor women, making murukkus, a typical occupation of poor brahmins. but we find dignity and peace in her.

everyone wishes the killing did not happen. but then there is no story. is there?

i think, if the roles were reversed, forgiveness can come from raziya too. why not?

i also think, there was a brahmin character here, only because, as a community we are more 'mature' and less into getting worked up, over how cinema portrays us.

long ago when i saw padosan, and the mehmood caricatured us, i was upset. but since then, i don't care. apparently mehmood was close to the truth, as to how, tambrams were viewed in delhi and bombay of those times.

Kunjuppu sir,

In cinemas they will show brahmins as clowns or cowards/weaklings. In this movie Kavya Madhavan's character is shown as a highly matured and forgiving type and hence you feel it is ok. But the unsaid portion is that "pattars" will be easily pliable and even if a muslim kills a pattar, the pattar's wife can be frightened into submission and will give pardon.

I am only asking the film's producer to show the muslim's wife in the same situation and release the film; you will then see what happens.

Sri.Sarma Sir, Greetings.

I am quite surprised with your comment. After watching this movie, any self respecting muslim would have thought, this movie is made to show an Hindu as a stronger party; any self respecting Hindu would have thought, a brahmin is shown as a stronger party.

Ganga had to have the time to come out of the initial disappointments, anger and the helpless feeling. In a short period, she had to go through all the initial shock and disappointment and transform herself to the 'saviour' situation. That was the 'steel' in her resolve; that resolve takes her through her life to support her child and live with dignity. Importantly, her husband was killed in a freak accident; it was never intentional.

When I watched the movie, I thought the story was leaning more towards Ganga character.

Cheers!

Shri Raghy sir,

Your reaction is exactly along the same lines as of Shri Kunjuppu - being fooled by what is supposed to be read into the cinema. But the reality in Kerala is not that; brahmins (Pattars, as they are called derisively) are considered as "bayanthaankoLLi" fellows who will piss if a muslim just takes the butcher's knife in his hand and just thinks of threatening the pattar. I am not able to see that cinema in the light you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back