• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Idols of the same god in the pooja room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi All,

I heard a astrological TV prg , where in the guest , Narendrabaabu said , multiple idols of the same god should not be kept in the pooja room, i have five ganesha idols in my pooja room,two of yerka , two silver and one natya ganapathi , made of an alloy.

Request you guys to please throw some light on this.

None of them told me what all to have in my pooja room , neither my inlwas nor my parents :(

Lakshmi

hi All,

I heard a astrological TV prg , where in the guest , Narendrabaabu said , multiple idols of the same god should not be kept in the pooja room, i have five ganesha idols in my pooja room,two of yerka , two silver and one natya ganapathi , made of an alloy.

None of them told me what all to have in my pooja room , neither my inlwas nor my parents :(

Lakshmi

Smt Lakshmiji,

when it comes to such questions people will say many things. personally i feel one should not and need not have more than one idol for worship. some people tell that nartana ganapati if kept in pooja, "kutumbame aadippoyudum", lakshmi in standing pose means "all wealth will go out not remain with you", and so on. here you will now get all sorts of answers. but when all is said and done god is not one to be impressed by external show but what you think of him and other fellow living beings.

the god which i trust is not fooled by all these outward poojas and all that. It is, period.

humm .. agreed sir, when things are not going well , u seem to heed to everyone :( , that is my case right now. A business and a family to look after :) , as every woman , it is hard !!!.

See that is the reason there should be elders ate home or atleast guide us .. how else do we pass on such things to our children :( ,
i really miss being in a traditional family .. i miss my granny who passed away some years back .. could not learn enough from her :(

Well, will remove the natya ganapati , can i keep it in the show case ??

humm .. agreed sir, when things are not going well , u seem to heed to everyone :( , that is my case right now. A business and a family to look after :) , as every woman , it is hard !!!.

See that is the reason there should be elders ate home or atleast guide us .. how else do we pass on such things to our children :( ,
i really miss being in a traditional family .. i miss my granny who passed away some years back .. could not learn enough from her :(

Well, will remove the natya ganapati , can i keep it in the show case ??

Smt. Lakshmi,

I am no authority and personally i don't like to keep idols or god-photos etc. but among tbs in kerala there was a belief that idols of gods/goddesses (not photos, painting) should not be kept idly in showcase or eelsewhere without proper pooja, etc. Old people even used to say that the 'naivedyam' made daily for their devoojai - "devapoojai" changed in spoken dialect - is based on the number of idols, their measurement (mainly height), etc. there used to be a small bronze vessel called "uruLi" and in some ancestral houses it was small and in others, bigger size. when i asked why it is so, i was told like the above. it was also a belief that raw rice cooked (chaatam) in that vessel called "divyaannam" is a must daily even if other items are made like on festival days.

so, if we give weight to all these old beliefs then better to keep minimum idols in poojai, consult your acharya about what to prepare for naivedyam, what pooja/s to do and all that. it may be better to donate the nartana ganapati to some temple nearby.

i will say "less religion, more peace of mind".

Last edited by a moderator:
ok , anyways my husband does not seem to even bother , i can as well donate it to some temple :) , it is 2 inches and a beautiful piece , hard to part with.

Dear Madam,

NO place in the house is bad unless it is the toilet. The Almighty and any number of it is not going to question you unless you treat it in the respectful way. It is only the Astrologers who know very less, talk a lot.

If it personifies an Idol of a God, and if you give proper respect to it, you can keep any number you want in the house except in the toilet.

Best Wishes,

B.Subramanian.
Have we interacted before???

Dear Madam,

NO place in the house is bad unless it is the toilet. The Almighty and any number of it is not going to question you unless you treat it in the respectful way. It is only the Astrologers who know very less, talk a lot.

If it personifies an Idol of a God, and if you give proper respect to it, you can keep any number you want in the house except in the toilet.

Best Wishes,

B.Subramanian.
Have we interacted before???

Shri Suba Sir,

You wrote- "The Almighty and any number of it is not going to question you unless you treat it in the respectful way."

Big advice with big mistake, i feel.

now, there is bathrooms only, lofts, dining room, store-rooms, etc. i think these are also not respectful areas.

Respected Sir,

You are right. It should be a place where we normally live. I also am a devotee of Lord Ganesh and have around 6 idols of Lord Ganesh in my Pooja Room apart from many portraits of Lord Ganesh in my living room.

The only thing is that we should be very careful of we have Sri Chakram (or any Chakram for that matter) or Shaalagraamam or Rudraaksha, for which regular Pooja and Naivedhyam is required.

Ultimately the crux is what you think of the Almighty is the most important thing.

Last edited:
Respected Sir,

You are right. It should be a place where we normally live. I also am a devotee of Lord Ganesh and have around 6 idols of Lord Ganesh in my Pooja Room apart from many portraits of Lord Ganesh in my living room.

The only thing is that we should be very careful of we have Sri Chakram (or any Chakram for that matter) or Shaalagraamam or Rudraaksha, for which regular Pooja and Naivedhyam is required.

Ultimately the crux is what you think of the Almighty is the most important thing.

Sir,

you know i am sort of sceptic. still i can understand how people will feel when some troubles befall them. there are lots of superstitions or beliefs connected with idols - not only saalagraamam and rudraaksham or sivalingam. when something goes irreparably wrong and one goes to astrologer or even friend may say "look, if you do like this, this,... then bad results will definitely happen, didn't you know? you should be happy nothing worse happened," and all that. you can imagine how the affected person will then feel.

since Madam indicated her worries, i felt it better to give the beliefs i knew about - though i do not support them - so that she will be spared of remorse later. i am sorry if i caused inconvenience to Madam Usha.

ok idol of ganesha cant be keep in show case
u can keep it in pooja room.
in a table
if u willing know about god u can look in website
to gain more knowledge
in how to n worship
so that u able to teach your children

hi All,

Lakshmi

What he has said is incorrect. Most of the TV shows peopagate wrong ideas. Again Astrologers are not authorities on Hinduism or its practices. Unfortunately they have taken on this role of religious advisers for which they are not qualified. Astrolgers are not Acharyas or Gurus.

You can keep any number of idols in the Puja room. Idols come alive only when you perform Pranaprathishta. But in Bhakthi Yoga Pranaprathishta is not important. Shraddhai is very important.

GOD is waiting to reward the Bhakthas. If you go part of the way GOD will come, meet you and reward you. GOD never punishes any Bhaktha. GOD is Daya and Karuna.

Pray with Shraddha and Bhakthi and GOD will reward you.

This is what our Puranas teach us.

What he has said is incorrect. Most of the TV shows peopagate wrong ideas. Again Astrologers are not authorities on Hinduism or its practices. Unfortunately they have taken on this role of religious advisers for which they are not qualified. Astrolgers are not Acharyas or Gurus.

You can keep any number of idols in the Puja room. Idols come alive only when you perform Pranaprathishta. But in Bhakthi Yoga Pranaprathishta is not important. Shraddhai is very important.

GOD is waiting to reward the Bhakthas. If you go part of the way GOD will come, meet you and reward you. GOD never punishes any Bhaktha. GOD is Daya and Karuna.

Pray with Shraddha and Bhakthi and GOD will reward you.

This is what our Puranas teach us.
Dear Sir,

You are absolutely right. The Almighty does not bother about how many Idols of some or any God you have in your house, and where you keep it. Only the mental status you have regarding the Almighty and other creations of the Almighty is important to Almighty.

See though Christians have Sunday as praying day and Muslims have Friday as praying day, the Sanaathana Dharma does not have any day as praying day. In fact the Almighty does not even want ITs creations to pray IT. Only living in a congenial atmosphere without harming any entity itself is a great thing and the maker IT will be satisfied with such a noble existence of ITs creations.

Last edited:
The Nirguna ParabRahman in the Dimesnionless State which has created 100s of Dimensions in this Universe (we are in the 3rd Dimension) only bothers about how every entity treats its fellow living things. If an entity is found to be very adoring and adorable to all the entities in this Universe, the Nirguna Parabrahman will take that entity to ITs place the Dimensionless State (MOKSHA).

Propitiation of the maker Nirguna ParaBrahman is only a physical phenomenon but loving one's fellow living things is an Astral Phenomenon.

Last edited:
As 'Sri Lalithaa Sahasranaamam says ' Naama Roopa Vivarjithaa' - The Nirguna Parabrahman does not have a name nor a form. In the Diemsnionless State the Nirguna Prabrahman which is neither born nor does IT have a death - IT is just ITself.

So nothing to bother about ITs proptiation.

IT only takes you on the basic value on 'how you treat your fellow living things'.

now we got sooryayog
a prayers
at home only meditated sun
it will heal our body
give energetic
it are power of silver coin
technique
sit straight in a comfortable wth mat
do breathing exercise with closed eyes

put a silver coin in middle of forhead
bring u hand folded in namaskara mudra
look at sun