• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamilbrahmins.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite an interesting title for the thread? I first thought of expressing my views in an existing thread but felt it would have bigger impact if it were to be in a separate thread.

Well. I am a member of this forum for the last 2 months. I must admit that my world has got much wiiiiiiiiddddder in these two months. I can summarise it as follows:

1. Members of this forum are well educated and well-informed and are genuinely interested in their community
2. They are aware of their community's "sins of the past"
3. Yet they are proud of being brahmins
4. They want to understand their culture better and want to contribute in enriching their culture
5. They are particularly interested in preserving the rich culture and want to pass it on to the future generations
6. They are not ashamed of following the rituals like sandhyavandanam, etc. They rather want to follow them more effectively.

This is quite heartening. I congratulate the organisers of this forum and also the patrons. At the same time, I want to sound a word of caution that we must not confine ourselves to this forum and must spread our views to the larger world outside.

Loka samasta sukhino bavantu.

Why should a person feel ashamed to perform Sandhyaa Vandanam?!

What are our 'sins of the past?'

If 15 people out of ~ 15,000 members read our posts, we are very lucky and we

should feel very happy!

So each person reading a post is "One-in-a thousand"

First we have to find a way to make more people read more posts. But how?

Figure out a solution for this, before going to the larger world outside
:crutch:!

Why should a person feel ashamed to perform Sandhyaa Vandanam?!

I should have used the word 'shy' instead of 'ashamed'. I have seen brahmins not wanting to do sandhyavandanam and conveniently foregoing it for various reasons. It was due to fear of social criticism. But now brahmins (it sounds to me atleast brahmins of this forum) are not shy anymore.

What are our 'sins of the past?'

We all know what they are. Discrimination and other socially unacceptable practices that brahmins followed in the past.

If 15 people out of ~ 15,000 members read our posts, we are very lucky and we

should feel very happy!

So each person reading a post is "One-in-a thousand"

First we have to find a way to make more people read more posts. But how?

Figure out a solution for this, before going to the larger world outside:crutch:!

No matter how many people read our posts. The depth our knowledge or views is not measured by the number of readers of our posts. Nor is it our intention (defenitely not mine) to make more people read our threads. Each one would choose a thread according to one's time and preference. But we can always spread our views and ideas to outside world (at least in our little circle of influence) so that brahminsim is appreciated for what it stands for. After all any knowledge is meaningful only when it is shared.

Lokah samastha sukhino bhavantu.

When we are not able to share our views with like minded and similar people

and impress them, how are you going to impress the dissimilar people?

A writer can not be oblivious to the number of readers. We write so that people

will read it.
If no one reads, why should we write and how will our views spread?
:violin:

...But we can always spread our views and ideas to outside world (at least in our little circle of influence) so that brahminsim is appreciated for what it stands for. After all any knowledge is meaningful only when it is shared.

Shri Haridasa Siva Sir,

What is "brahmin-ism"? Is it some special knowledge? what use it has for world of today? Is there "chettiarism", "nadarism", "goundarism", "pallarism", "maravarism" etc. also? what do they mean? kindly explain.

I am afraid my point is not understood correctly. I did not raise any issue with the number of readers for our posts. It is rather you who raised it. In a way, it is surprising to me that it should come from you for you have one of the highest (if not the highest) posts in this forum. All I want to underline is that we must continue to spread our views wherever we can and just not limit to this forum - like I would spread my messages to my siblings and friends (none of them is an activist in tamilbrahmins.com). Hope it is clear now.

As for the statement "A writer can not be oblivious to the number of readers. We write so that people

will read it. If no one reads, why should we write and how will our views spread?"
, I go Kannadaasan's way. He had mentioned in his book 'Pushpamaalika' the following:
"என் குரலுக்கு எதிரொலி இல்லாது போயினும் குரல் கொடுத்துவிட்டதில் எனக்கு ஒரு திருப்தி"
But again that is my philosophy and I do not enforce it on others.

Lokah samasthaa sukhino bhavantu.

dear Mr. Siva,

We will get an echo only in there is a surface beyond a certain distance to

reflect back the sound to us-after the specified time gap is over. Otherwise it

will merge with the original sound.

The surface must be so far away that the reflected sound and the original

sound don't merge.

We can't get an echo in a field or desert however much we shout. So if we

really want an echo, we must select a suitable spot and then speak/shout.

Am I correct?
:playball:

namaste.

An echo simply parrots the original words, which can be taken as a form of consent. Do we echo opinions, specially traditional and related to brahmins in this forum? Or do many of us simply give our counter-speak, trying to pick a hole somehow? To what extent do we agree to disagreement on things we do not agree with?

Some things to ponder, IMHO.

namaste.

An echo simply parrots the original words, which can be taken as a form of consent. Do we echo opinions, specially traditional and related to brahmins in this forum? Or do many of us simply give our counter-speak, trying to pick a hole somehow? To what extent do we agree to disagreement on things we do not agree with?

Some things to ponder, IMHO.

I am drawn to your words, "trying to pick a hole somehow" . That is dangerous. No one should pick a hole "somehow". What is helpful is "constructive criticism". It happens when we have good understanding ability and a genuine (unselfish) interest to improve. When it comes to "agreeing to disagree", I think it does happen in this forum. I am however a novice and leave it to the most experienced people.

Lokah samastha sukhino bhavantu.

Shri Haridasa Siva Sir,

What is "brahmin-ism"? Is it some special knowledge? what use it has for world of today? Is there "chettiarism", "nadarism", "goundarism", "pallarism", "maravarism" etc. also? what do they mean? kindly explain.
Yes, all these "isms" are there though not proclaimed. A Single man has dualism in him! But all these come the same way and go the same way. They are idiosyncratic. But knowledge pervades like air but the mind tames it within a circle.

To what extent do we agree to disagreement on things we do not agree with?

dear Mr. Saidevo,

Are you by any chance related to Arattai Arabgam Visu -even distantly?

Surely I can't even reproduce your sentence-forget about producing it originally.

I am still trying to figure out the meaning amidst bursts of hearty chuckles.

When I decipher the message, I will reply to your points.

Meanwhile bye bye and thank you for the message!

with warm regards,
V.R. :wave:

namaste Smt.Ramani.

No I am not related in any way to Visu or watch his AraTTai Arangam. I do like to craft my posts however, although sometimes the words might fail the meaning intended.

Although I took the word echo from your post, my post was not addressed to you, nor did I have your posts in mind when I wished for hearing echoes when someone hails something traditional about our religion in general and brAhmaNa dharma in particular. My only wish is that since this is a forum of *******, we speak about our traditions with respect, although it might, like everything else, have flaws, and we ourselves might not be able to adhere to it completely.

Namaste Mr. Saidevo,

Since the post was not meant for me, I can let it pass over my head I suppose.

Nothing is perfect. Nothing can be perfect except God. So everything is lacking

something and is imperfect.

Well. We will aim at perfection so that we end up getting 90+ at least.

with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Smt. VR madam,&Dear Shri. Saidevo,

Mr.Vishu's programme was titled 'ARATTAI ARANGAM' in SUN TV.He has now shifted to JAYA TV and renamed the Programme as 'MAKKAL ARANGAM'
His programmes are really good.I happened to listen to one of his programme in JAYA TV and was very much moved after I saw the programme.
One young girl aged about 10 years spoke on the topic "Where are my parents".Her parents got separated when she was a young child.She was left under the care of her matenal parents.Her elder brother was left under the care of her paternal grandparents.She has no idea about her parents and even does not know that she is having an elder brother.One day in her school her friend inform her about her elder brother who is reading in a BOY's School in the next compound to her school.She is eager to meet her elder brother. Her class mate promises to arrange for a meeting,but the brother refuses to meet his sister as there was enmity between the families and he has been fed with all wrong information.The girl is very much disappointed.
Her grand father has died and grand mother is feeding her by running a wayside shop.Grand mother is sufficiently aged and having drinking habits.Girl is worried who will take care of her after her grandmother's demise.
Mr.Vishu comes forward to extend help if some local people are prepared to stand witness and give a sworn affidavit about the condition of the girl.Vishu says she being a girl he should not get into trouble at a later date.
Local people came forward and complete the documents.Vishu donates a few lakhs to "SARADA DEVI ORPHANAGE' run by RAMAKRISHNA ASHRAM RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL,
ULUNDURPETTAI,near VILLUPURAM on CHENNAIto TIRUCHI HIGHWAY.
The programme ends showing the girl, very happy and reciting GAYATHRI MANTRA along with other girls in the orphanage school.She profusely thanks"VISHU UNCLE' for bringing back LIGHT in her life.
Vishu is a NOBLE MAN.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. B.K.M,

I don't have time to watch Visu's talk shows, just as he does not have time to

read my posts :) He is doing a great job his way and is creating a lot of social
awareness among people. A Great man in his own tight!
:clap2:

with warm regards,
V.R.

I usually browse tamilbrahmins.com through my office network. Our network has a firewall that filters objectionable content. Yesterday, I happened to browse from a private network and was shocked to see “undesirable” advt. in the site. It had images of “sexy singles”. Such an advt is not commensurate with the idea of this site.

Of late, I find the site slow.

I am not getting e-mail notification for the posts in the threads, which I am subscribed to. I used to get such e-mails earlier.

... Yesterday, I happened to browse from a private network and was shocked to see “undesirable” advt. in the site. It had images of “sexy singles”. Such an advt is not commensurate with the idea of this site.
Siva, first a disclaimer, I am no more than just a member of this site like you are. I am in no way connected to the administration of this site.

This question about inappropriate ads has some up several times in the past and Praveen, the owner of this site, has answered it in a satisfactory manner. The gist of it is:

• Running the site is not cost free. These ads help defray some of that cost.
  • What ads are displayed is automatically determined by ad server. Praveen does not have any say in it. I don't even know whether all of us get the same ads displayed.
Hope this clarifies at least a little bit....

Cheers!

Siva, first a disclaimer, I am no more than just a member of this site like you are. I am in no way connected to the administration of this site.

This question about inappropriate ads has some up several times in the past and Praveen, the owner of this site, has answered it in a satisfactory manner. The gist of it is:

• Running the site is not cost free. These ads help defray some of that cost.
  • What ads are displayed is automatically determined by ad server. Praveen does not have any say in it. I don't even know whether all of us get the same ads displayed.
Hope this clarifies at least a little bit....

Cheers!

Thanks for your clarification. I reserve my comments.

Just adding to what Nara mentioned -

1. the site slowness would be more to the increased traffic and server issues. for the last 14 days or so, the site is being bombarded by an someone or something, hence at times (very frequently) it loads very slowly.

I am on a 1mbps connection in chennai and it takes about 10 seconds to load.

2. Unlike "other sites", the website is not run by a trust or a charitable organisation. The site, since its inception, has been funded by myself. The ads are there to offset some of the costs.

At times, certain undesirable ads do come in. Whereever possible, i can ban and block them. But mostly it is not in my control.
No 2 ads are shown for the same people at the same time. What i see now will not be what you see.

If you can get me a screenshot of the advert in question, i can probably raise it up and get it blocked from the site.

I am not getting e-mail notification for the posts in the threads, which I am subscribed to. I used to get such e-mails earlier.

I will check this. I am getting the emails fine. (ps i do have another test account to which it is fine.) Maybe they are going into the junk mail??? But, from what i am aware, you get one notification per topic and you will have to visit the site for further notifications. This is to prevent the site from being blocked as spam.

Regards

Thanks, Praveen for your response. I appreciate your position.

I am not getting notification of any sort. I have to log in to see the posts. I look forward to your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back