• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

மயக்கி மருட்டும் சில சொற்கள்.

Status
Not open for further replies.
மயக்கி மருட்டும் சில சொற்கள்.

சில சொற்கள் நம்மை மருட்டுகின்றன.
சில சொற்கள் நம்மை மயக்குகின்றன.

சிலவோ நம்மை பிழற வைக்கின்றன.
சிலவோ நம்மை மிரள வைக்கின்றன.

தமிழின் வளர்ச்சியை விழைவோரும்,
தமிழின் தளர்ச்சியை வெறுப்போரும்,

பயன்பெறும் வகையில் காண்போம்
மயக்கி மருட்டும் சில சொற்களை.

#1.
அலகு = பறவையின் மூக்கு.
அளகு = பெண் மயில்.
அழகு = வனப்பு.
#2.
அலம் = கலப்பை.
அளம் = உப்பளம்.
#3.
அலி = ஆண் பெண் தன்மைகள் அற்ற பேடி.
அளி = கொடு.
அழி = நாசம் செய்துவிடு.
#4.
அலை = கடல் அலை.
அளை = சேறு, தயிர்.
அழை = கூப்பிடு
#5.
ஆல் = ஆலமரம்.
ஆள் = ஆண் மகன், ஆளுதல்.
ஆழ் = முழுகு.

This also belongs to the same section as 'A' to 'Ksha' and 'look alike words'.

So kindly move this also to literature section. Posting will easier for me.

#6.
ஆலி = மழைத்துளி.
ஆளி = விலங்கு.
ஆழி = கடல்.
#7.
இலகு = விளங்கு.
இளகு = நெகிழ்.
இலை = தாவர இலை.
இளை = மெலிதல்.
இழை = நூல்.
உலர = காய
உளர = தடவ.
# 10
உலவு = நடந்து செல்.
உளவு = வேவு.
உழவு = பயிர்த்தொழில்.

Last edited:

உளி = கருவி.
உழி = இடம்.
உலை = உலைக்களம்.
உளை = பிடரி மயிர்.
உழை = மான், பக்கம், வேலை செய்தல்.
உல்கு = சுங்கம்.
உள்கு = நினை.
# 14 .
எல் =பகல்.
எள் = ஒரு
தானியம்.
#15.
ஒலி = ஓசை.
ஒளி = பிரகாசம்.
ஒழி = அழித்து விடுதல்.

# 16.
கலம் = பாத்திரம்.
களம் = போர்க்களம், நெற்களம்
#17.
கலங்கு = கலக்கம்
டை.
கழங்கு = பெண்களின் விளையாட்டுப் பொருள்.
#18.
கலி = கலி யுகம்.
களி = மகிழ்ச்சி.
கழி = நீக்கு, குச்சி.
#19.
கலை = வித்தை, ஆண் மான்.
களை = அயர்ச்சி, தாவரக்களை.
கழி = மூங்கில், கரும்பு.
#20.
கலைத்தல் = பிரித்தல்
களைத்தல் = சோர்தல்.

generally itself nowadays children are not fond of or rather clear with pronunciation and different la and zha, really your post is useful for educating them

Yes! Most of us do not realize that even when one letter in a word is pronounced

wrong, the entire meaning changes-especially in languages where we have many

letters with almost the same sound, differing only very slightly.

adula kodumai ennavenral these young anchors in radio and tv when they speak unnecessarily in tamil like english and the sweetness of language and sound value goes off

#21.
காலி = பசுக்கூட்டம்.
காளி = ஒரு தெய்வம்.
காழி = மலம், சீகாழிஎன்னும் ஊர்.
#22.
காலை = நாளின் ஒரு பகுதி.
காளை = எருது.
#23.
கிளவி = சொல்.
கிழவி = முதியவள்.
# 24.
குளம்பு = விலங்கின் கால் பகுதி.
குழம்பு = உணவின் ஒரு வகை.

#25.
கூலி = சம்பளம்.
கூளி = பேய்.

# 26.
கொலை = கொல்லுதல்.
கொளை = பாட்டு.
#27.
கொல் = கொல்லுக.
கொள் = வாங்குக.
#28.
கோல் = அம்பு, ஊன்றுகோல்.
கோள் = புறங்கூறுதல்.
#29.
சூலை = ஒரு நோய்.
சூளை = செங்கல் சூளை.
#30.
சூல் = கர்ப்பம்.
சூள் = சபதம்.
சூழ் = சுற்றிக்கொள்.

மிகவும் நன்றாக உள்ளது! பேராசிரியர் நன்னன் இப்படிப்பட்ட சொற்களைப் பற்றி நிறைய எழுதியுள்ளார்! தொடருங்கள்!

அன்புள்ள ஐயா,
நன்னனைப் பற்றி நான் அறியேன்.
கண்களில் விளக்கெண்ணெய் ஊற்றிக்
கொண்டு தேடி அகராதியில் முயன்று
கண்டு பிடித்த சொற்களே இவைகள்.
with warm regards,
V.R.

#31.
தலை = உடல் உறுப்பு.
தளை = கட்டு, கை விலங்கு.
தழை = இலை.
#32.
தவலை = ஒரு பாத்திரம்.
தவளை = நீர் வாழ் உயிரினம்.

#33.
தால் = நாக்கு, தாலாட்டு.
தாள் = முயற்சி, கால்.
தாழ் = பணிந்து போ.
#34.
துலை = தராசு.
துளை = துவாரம்.
#35 .
தோல் = சருமம்.
தோள் = புஜம்.

மயக்கி என்பது என்ன, மருட்டி என்பது என்ன, இவை இரண்டுக்கும் உள்ள தொடர்பு தான் என்னவோ?

Dear Shree Nara,

Mayakkam = delusion, wrong understanding.

Maruttu = to fascinate, bewitch, threaten.

Does the definition help in any way?

'Mayakkam' can be due to pleasant and happy thoughts.

Marutchi is more closely related to fear and a sense of wonder.

with warm regards,
V.R.

Mayakkam = delusion, wrong understanding.

Maruttu = to fascinate, bewitch, threaten.

Does the definition help in any way?

'Mayakkam' can be due to pleasant and happy thoughts.

Marutchi is more closely related to fear and a sense of wonder.
Yes, indeed, Mrs. VR. Now, if you will permit me a moment of indulgence, a quiz of sorts -- you had one sometime back remember -- can you give me a source for the meaning you provide for மருட்டி? In as much as மயக்கி is still in common use, its meaning is well known. But மருட்டி is not in common usage. Would you please give an example of this word மருட்டி used by some well known writer?

Thanks ..

Dear Shree Nara,
The best example I can think of is the expression in the eyes of a deer. It feels bewitched, fascinated and threatened at the same time.

மானின் மருட்சி.
I don't remember the the quiz of sorts I had some time back! Can you please prompt me with the # of the post or some other detail to refresh my memory?
with warm regards,
V.R.

....The best example I can think of is the expression in the eyes of a deer. It feels bewitched, fascinated and threatened at the same time.
மானின் மருட்சி.
Mrs VR, I was hoping to see some concrete example, but this is fine. When it comes to deer, IMO, the more common adjective is மடம் as in மட மான். This மடம், one of the four qualities that define an ideal woman, is extreme innocence bordering on stupidity, so much so that she would believe any yarn her man may spin.

On the other hand, மருட்சி may mean மருளுதல், like மருண்டுவிட்டாள், which fits the third meaning you have given -- fear.

Ilango Adigal uses the term மருட்கயித்தே in the now famous song வடவரையை மத்தாக்கி as in மாயமோ மருட்கயித்தே in praise of Lord Vishnu sung by ஆய்ச்சியர்கள். There is no fear in this use, only awe.

This word fascinates me and would like to know if anybody else has used it in the same exquisite way Ilango has.

Cheers!

Dear Shree. Nara,

So you knew the meaning, the usage and the concrete example all along and were testing me like a real professor! :(

I think you must take over the thread-since you will do a much better job than poor old me:)

The song you have mentioned and sung by Smt.M.S.S. is one of my all time favorites. In fact we the 'stereo sisters' were very popularly known for the rendition of that song.

The word 'madam' borders utter stupidity and is used mostly with reference to the weaker (?) sex, while the word 'marutchi' is closer to stupefying a person and general for both the sexes.
with warm regards,
V.R.

(Now we can guess that the English word 'Madam' must have evolved from the Tamil word 'madam'. Another thought is that Mad+ dame= Madam)
:mad:

Last edited:

#36.
நலி = வருந்து.
நளி =நெருக்கம்.
#37.
நல்லார் = நல்லவர்கள்.
நள்ளார் = பகைவர்கள்.
#38.
பல்லி = கௌளி.
பள்ளி = பள்ளிக்கூடம், சயன அறை.
#39.
பசலை = மகளிர் நிறவேறுபாடு.
பசளை =ஒரு வகைக் கொடி.
#40.
பால் = பசும் பால்.
பாள் = தாழ்ப்பாள்.
பாழ் = பாழாதல்.

.....So you knew the meaning, the usage and the concrete example all along and were testing me like a real professor! .
No Mrs. VR, I was hoping for another concrete example. My wait continues....

The word 'madam' borders utter stupidity and is used mostly with reference to the weaker (?) sex,
To me, of course, all the four traits, அச்சம், நாணம், மடம், பயிர்ப்பு, are imposed on women by men for their own domination and benefit -- the last two clearly intended to keep them in a subservient state. A while ago, before I found TB.com to vent my anxieties, I wrote a blog post on another one of those male imposed construct, கற்பு, in which I gave my personal view on these matters. Bharathiyar had it right when he described புதுமைப் பெண். The so called weaker sex is weaker only in brute force, and so much the better for not being a brute. I truly believe this world will be a better place if women were running it.

Cheers!

Dear Shree. Nara,

That women are kept under tight control by sheer brutal force is an undeniable fact.

The force need not always be physical thrashings. There are many other subtler

ways to manipulate women.

But when freed from bonds, very often the person does not know how much farther to go and when and where to stop! That is why we often come across several persons let loose on a rampage!

It is also true that the female of any species is deadlier than male- may be because the male is an idealist and the female is a practical person!

Topic for more serious discussion?
:noidea:

with warm regards,
V.R.

#41.
பாலை = ஒரு வகை நிலம்.
பாளை = மரத்தின் பாளை.
#42.
புலி = வேங்கை.
புளி = புளிய மரம்.
#43.
புளுகு = பொய்.