• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Poonal

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sudeshwer

as far as I understand, one set of poonal is worn from upanayanam till marriage when another set of poonal is worn making poonal in two sets of three each. further, so far I understood, third set of poonal was to be worn when a child is born. but recently, one pundit announced that the third set of poonal was to be worn only when father expires. could you please clarify as to when the third set of poonal was to be worn - k srinmivasan

I think this point was discussed earlier in some other thread here. But I am not able to locate it now.

The practices vary. In my paternal family the third poonal is added at the time of seemantham, not after the child is born. Some brahmins wear only one set, some others two sets after marriage. So it is best to follow your family practice.

The custom in regard to wearing of vibhuti during amavasya tarpanam, sraddham also varies. In our families we wear vibhuti during these rituals; the only time it is not worn is the 12 day period of funerary rites, but on the 13th. day this does not apply. For some others it is different. In these matters also pl. consult elderly members of your paternal family and advice the pundit that you prefer to stick to your family traditions.

I agree. it is better to follow one's family tradition; but I thought there should be some clarity. Poonal is very religious one and there should be some clear-cut way of wearing atleast among brahmins. thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back