• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Performance of Sandhyavandanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Friends,

Of course I dont do it. And I regret for that. Can anybody teach me that. I would like to do Sandyavandanam everyday. Please help me.

Bhavan's Journal has published a book on Sandhyavandanam. I found this book really good. My husband did not have the habit of doing Sandhyavandanam. the excuse was not knowing tamil /sanskrit. But when we decided to conduct thread ceremony of my son I decided I will make him do sandhyavandam otherwisw what is the big point in conducting the thread ceremony. The rate of vadhiyar to teach him was Rs.100/- per day. I felt this was too much. I searched for the book on sandhyavandanam & found this book very useful. I read the book several times to understand & used to sit with my son every evening for almost a month till he could do it all by himself/morning time was not possible as I am working. Today I am proud to tell u that My son never misses an oppertunity to do this. If possible both the times a day. Tamil brahmins .com have uploaded this in Devotional Songs .A book & this will solve ur problem.

Shrimati. Jayashri,
It was great to read your post. It is gratifying to note that there are people who realise the value of doing the Sandhyavandanam and performs it. It is all a matter of habit and if the youngsters are trained from a very young age the habit kind of stays with them. Even if it is forgotten during the youthful years there is a good chance it may come back during the mid life. That's what happened to me. It is important to keep the spark alive.

Thanks

Bhavan's Journal has published a book on Sandhyavandanam. I found this book really good. My husband did not have the habit of doing Sandhyavandanam. the excuse was not knowing tamil /sanskrit. But when we decided to conduct thread ceremony of my son I decided I will make him do sandhyavandam otherwisw what is the big point in conducting the thread ceremony. The rate of vadhiyar to teach him was Rs.100/- per day. I felt this was too much. I searched for the book on sandhyavandanam & found this book very useful. I read the book several times to understand & used to sit with my son every evening for almost a month till he could do it all by himself/morning time was not possible as I am working. Today I am proud to tell u that My son never misses an oppertunity to do this. If possible both the times a day. Tamil brahmins .com have uploaded this in Devotional Songs .A book & this will solve ur problem.

Smt .Jayashri vasu

It is nice to read about your efforts. Usually the traditions and good habits are inculcated by mother in children. You are proving it again.

There are VCDs,(and now dvds) available on Sandhyavandanam. After Upanayanam of my son I presented him with a vcd of Yajur Sandhyavandanam, which shows step by step, even from arranging the needed things, change of yajnopaveetham, sitting posture and the performance ,with the needed mantras uttered in a slow manner for the hearer to imbibe and follow. This, along with a book (in suitable language which one can read properly) will be quite useful.
Now there are many sites in internet which give the explanations, pictures and videos.

Sandhyavandanam ,if performed continuously,for some initial years , will ever be there inside, and even if discontinued due to some reasons, can be restarted without much difficulty, with a slight brush up with help of a book at hand.

Where there is a will,there is a way.( Nowadays, webcamera and internet can be of a great help)

( The VCDs,Books are available in Giri stores in Chennai,Mumbai.) I also could purchase a book 'Sandhyavandan Bhashyam" from a bookstall in SriRangam temple some years ago.

Dear Friends,

Of course I dont do it. And I regret for that. Can anybody teach me that. I would like to do Sandyavandanam everyday. Please help me.

RS Vadhyar books ,Kalpathi were the traditional publishers of these kind of books. They have published a Thrikaala Sandhyavandanam, book which contains more topics other than Sandhyavandanam also .

If you are very new to Eranakulam you may contact any Vadhyar or elder person at Gramajan Samooham /Gayatri Kalyanamandapam. near Shiva temple.

The parents' initiative is very important.There is no doubt about this as it is evident from the case of Smt.Jayashri Vasu.The children when they are young, say below 12 years, listen to the parents and do sandhyavandanam regularly and after they start moving closely with their friends and peers, majority lose interest in all the good things they have learnt in their young age and parents too are unable to persuade them at that age.Poorva janma vasana plays a great role for any one to stick to the traditions throughout or pick it up at later years if they are abandoned in between because of various reasons.

hi folks,
i saw sandhyavandanam in youtube sometime back.....i did regularly ...when i was in veda patashala...its must.... but now?....my son had
upanayanam at the age of 9.....but try to make him to do....

regards
tbs

Sandhyavandanam

Shrimati. Jayashri,
It was great to read your post. It is gratifying to note that there are people who realise the value of doing the Sandhyavandanam and performs it. It is all a matter of habit and if the youngsters are trained from a very young age the habit kind of stays with them. Even if it is forgotten during the youthful years there is a good chance it may come back during the mid life. That's what happened to me. It is important to keep the spark alive.

Thanks

Very true Anandji, My experience has been the same. Now I find it very useful and I am regular doing this. It has become a habit.

I also share many of smt Jayashri's experiences. I first started doing sandhyavandanam all the 3 times before planning for my son's Upanayanam and my son does Sandyavandanam all the three times and samitadanam (uses Jalam instead of Agni on most days)twice without even missing it once since his upanayanam. Ofcourse because of the hectic schedule he is not able to do it in the right time.

Regards,

The parents' initiative is very important.There is no doubt about this as it is evident from the case of Smt.Jayashri Vasu.The children when they are young, say below 12 years, listen to the parents and do sandhyavandanam regularly and after they start moving closely with their friends and peers, majority lose interest in all the good things they have learnt in their young age and parents too are unable to persuade them at that age.Poorva janma vasana plays a great role for any one to stick to the traditions throughout or pick it up at later years if they are abandoned in between because of various reasons.

Very well said. In my case, I am proud to say, that my eldest son was an inspiration to me to perform on weekends as well. With a huge gap during the youthful years, I started performing the Sandya four years before my first son's Upanayanam. I used to do it only in the mornings and skip the weekend due to getting up late and all. Even doing it once was an uphill struggle due to lack of concentration and so on. Strangely, my elder son after his Upanayanam has been performing on every single day without any goading from us at all. Seeing him do on weekends, I started doing as well. I performed the Upanayanam of my second son this March and was very much doubtful if he will do regularly as he just cannot concentrate on one thing at a time and cannot sit still in one place. Fortunately, the second one sees the elder one as a role model in all things and thought if he is doing it then there is something good so does it regularly himself. So my elder son has the punyam of inspiring his dad as well as his brother for doing the Sandhya. Shri. Sadasivam, as you said, I can only call this as some leftover merit from a purva janma.

Doing all these years, I now find that I am able to concentrate much better and it only improves with time. The concept of Sandhya itself is so wonderful, thanking Surya, Bhooma Devi, Gayatri and the various deities and bringing to mind the ancient seers is such a good way to start the day. I think the Sandya is even more relevant in today's times than before. Hope the youngsters take to it in a big way.

Yes, cds are available in giri trading. In fact you can get video cd also.. it is performed by T S Ranganthan
and voice given by Prakash Kaushik. The video shows the following
1. Pratha Sandhyavadhanam
2. Pratha Samidhadanam
3. Madhyanikam
4. Brahma yagnam
5. Saayam Sandhyavadhanam
6. Saayam samidhadanam
7. Parishechanamantram - Morning
8. Parishechanamantram - evening.

if you buy audio cd.. pl buy prakash kaushik cd.. it is really good to hear..

-Balaji

Although there were few links (video) that provided info on how to do it, I struggled for a long tim to understand and practice. Links were not good enough.

Luckily, I visited chennai/madurai during summer and purchased several books and CDs. One of them was on Sandhyavandanam by Meenakshi Balu. It was bold print and with lots of pictures. So simple, that i practiced right away.

In addition, I had TS Ranganathan's video - it helped a lot.

Both were available in Giri Trading.

I also bought other sandhyavandanam books from Ramakrishna madam. Those weren't so good, but offered more indepth meaning.

I don't do it nowadays but WILL start doing it from this Avani Avittam.

I was doing it during my school, college days, but after joining office, it is gone…

I started reading about Sandyavandanam, "why we have to do it" and the meaning of the mantras in it. I had also got a chance to hear the discourses of Anantharama Dikshadar and Krishna Premi Anna and really amazed by the meaning and the reasoning that goes behind it.

I had made a vow to perform it regularly (at least twice – in the morning and in the evening) from this Avani Avittam (24 Aug 2010).

As a brahmin we are supposed to do Sandyavandanam 3 times a day. Only then we are entitled to do other puja etc., and will get the results out of it. Also we are supposed to do veda parayanam every day. In the current circumstances, that may not be possible – so there is relaxation in that as well – at least tell MAHA RUDHRAM (or at least hear it every day) and that is more than enough for a happy life.

sandyavandanam

dear all

i want yajur veda sandyavandanam books in sanskrit. can anybody give me an idea as to where i could buy this book in bangalore. or if it is available for downloading, please let me know the website.

thanks

narayanan m.s.

I don't do it nowadays but WILL start doing it from this Avani Avittam.
Dear Shri Deviprasad,

Normally someone deciding to "commence" from the ensuing Avani avittam, is bound to leave it off sooner than later. So I suggest that you start doing it from the day you happen to see this post.

"sandhya" means the junction between day and night and if you will see the mantras (in the Brahmana texts) the case for Sandhyavandanam revolves on the belief that a group of asuras known as "mandeha" try - every morning and evening, without fail, ever since the Sun was created - to destroy his power; the "arghyam" given as part of the sandhyavandanam take the form of Vajra (of Indra) and destroys the asuras (mandehas) who perhaps get revived in the next 12 hours or so and come back again to attack Surya. The point I am making is, there is no mandeha attack at noon and there are ceratin classes within brahmins who are required to do sandhya only twice a day.

Incidentally, at the time of the upanayanam the boy (வடு) requests, "சாவித்திரியை உபதேசித்தருள வேண்டும்" (सावित्रीम् भो अनुब्रूहि) and the entire upanayanam centres around chanting (reciting) gayatri (savitri) only. The related sandhya procedures do not find a place in the upanayanam per se. Manu smriti also says:

ऋषयॊ दीर्घसन्ध्यत्वाद् दीर्घम् आयुर् अवाप्नुयुः । प्रज्ञाम् यशश्च कीर्तिम् च ब्रह्मवर्चसम् एव च॥४-९४
4.94. By prolonging the twilight devotions, the sages obtained long life, wisdom, honour, fame, and brahma tejas. Here also mention is only about Sandhya, not midday.

How and when the ancillary rituals of Sandhya started etc., are not clear, but there is a strong case for Sandhya being originally twice a day.

Also I don't think incidents in puranas refer to maadhyaahnikam done by any Rishi.

Learned members may please clarify.

View attachment Sandhya Vandanam.pdf
I too want to learn it. Can u scan and sent the related portion of Bhavan's Journal to me please.
My id is [email protected]. Tks n regards.

Hi all,

Until May this year, I too found all kind of excuses not to do my Sandhyavandanam. Till I happened to go to my village (Ramanathapuram in Palakkad) to attend the Maha Kumbhabhishekam of the grama temples. My uncle advised me to do at least the Pratah Sandhyavandanam, if not all three. I took it up seriously, and with the help of Google (God bless Larry Page and Sergey Brin! :)), reacquainted myself with what I had left out of my life. I now do the Pratah Sandhyavandanam regularly, and find myself at great peace. It also gives me immense confidence in myself in handling the day to day tensions and stress.

For those who want help, I am attaching a pdf file I found on the net. I have used it and find myself very comfortable. It may be of help to you. For proper pronounciation, I recommend (as have others here) Shree Prakash Kaushik. Excellent diction and very clear. I bought the album online from Addkiosk.

Ram

I am attaching a pdf file that has it both in English (transliteration) and in Sanskrit. It caters to Yajur Veda.

Ram

Attachments

• Sandhya Vandanam.pdf
    232 KB · Views: 416
Where there is a will there is a way.Nowadays at all places sandhyavandhanam is taught as a regular coaching class.With that some slokas stotras are taught to interested people. Short of time is not an excuse it means short of interest.When your son is having some class test or so on a particular day and also there is test match broadcast in TV. He is capable of allocating time for both.Then why not for Sandhyavandhanam.When elders regularly do the wards will definitely follow.Please you start first from today.My son in law who was not interested started after seeing me doing trikala sandhyavandhanam.With best regards.

Three times a day is not possible for all. I never missed performing atleast one time a day for a great length of my life. For other two times I may just chant Gayathri. This as an option is missing in the poll. So I voted for the first option and am giving my explanation here.

In the current circumstances, that may not be possible – so there is relaxation in that as well – at least tell MAHA RUDHRAM (or at least hear it every day) and that is more than enough for a happy life.
I appreciate your effort and pray GOD to increase your tribe.
Rudram must be learned from some guru so that it is rendered with correct SWARAM. aLL VEDAPARAYANAMS WITHOUT PROPER SWARAM is meaningless as a single word with different swaram gives a different meaning.Request you to be more careful about it. With bad swaram it may bring disasterous effect. You have mentioned MAHA RUDRAM daily.It must be rudram daily. Maha rudram is Chanting 11 times by (11x11)121 persons at a singe stroke. Athi rudram is 11times a day by 121 persons for 11days cotinuously.With warm regards wrongan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back