• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

regarding sholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respected Sir,
I got the details of your website from Mr.Nath Gopalswamy.I am doing 2nd year B.Sc Physics in Meenakshi College For Women Chennai-24.I paid my 1st and 2nd year fees by the loan assistance provided by my relatives.Now I am in need of financial assistance for the completion of my degree.My father Mr.K.Rajagopalan expired when I was in my 8th standard.My mother is recieving Rs.587.00 as widow pension and I am recieving Rs.157.00 as child pension.So please consider my letter and help for my studies.

I have enclosed the details for the above.

thanking you,
Yours faithfully,
R.Ragachandrika

let me know how i can help you. you can give details to the web master who inturn will get in touch with me.
eswaran

Hi Ragachandrika

We can all help you. But we need your contact info to proceed. Please send an email with your contact infor to [email protected]. We will take it up from there.

Thanks n good luck.

Ramki

Hi Ramki:
Please send me the details as soon as you receive info from Ragachandrika. If she is in Chennai, I will meet her and we will take it from there. By the way, I am meeting with Praveen to finalize on our funding; we need to get that going.
I hope you have receovered from the flu now.

I am willing to help also

Hi Ragachandrika,

We can definitely help you out here. The hope is once you complete your studies and get a job you will join us in helping other Brahmans also who are victims of the unjust reservation policy of the TN govt. None of the details you mention you have provided are accessible. Can you please provide the details in a post?

Regarding Ms. Ragachandrika

Hello all,

I have been a browser of this forum for a while now, and finally decided to register. My parents stay next to the flat occupied by Ragachandrika and her mother close to Saligrammam bus-stand in Chennai. I came to know of her situation through my parents last month during a visit to Chennai, and met her and encouraged her to apply to this forum. She is a B.Sc Physics student in Meenakshi college and is very interested in completing her studies, and is a very studious person. Unfortunately, being a Brahmin in TN, even after securing a high percentage in the State Board exams, she could not secure admission in a medical college due to the 70% reservation quota and lack of Govt scholarships available to Brahmins.

She has already completed 3 semesters, and has funded her fourth semester also and is doing very well in college. The approximate fees needed per semester are 5000 Rupees, and 2 more semesters remain to be funded starting this April 2007. I feel the Brahmin community on this forum should be able to provide the required tuition assistance of 10,000 Rupees to complete the remaining two semesters. I request Ragachandrika to provide her phone number if she has one. If not reachable, other members of this forum can call my father Mr. Gopalaswamy at (044)-2377-0003 in Chennai to establish contact. I hope we can all help in this case.

Nath

Dear Brahmin friends:
It is gratifying to see the helping hands. However, if I may make a suggestion, please have all these requests channel thru us, the admin team. We are working on setting up a fund and will be contacting all the members in a week or so.
In the meantime, I am again requesting Ragachandrika to send an email to Ramki (refer to his post) so that we could get the ball rolling.

Ranganathan
(Silverfox)
p.s. Ragachandrika: If you need immediate assistance, I am in Chennai right now. Contact me on my cell: 99400-31726.

dear silverfox,
thanks for taking the responsibility for starting the fund. pl keep me informed so that i can chip in with whatever is possible. as for ragachandrika still time is there as she needs assistance in april07 only. for her i am ready to send 500 as soon as trfr details are intimated to my e-mail.
thanks again
eswaran

Contact details

Since she does not have a computer at home, and is only able to check this website once a week at a browsing center, I will call my father tonight to get in touch with her next door and respond to the posts. Also, if any members or admins are in Boston area, it would be good for those of us to meet and discuss how to help our community back in TN. Since the TN Govt is not helping, I think it is incumbent upon us to locate deserving students so that they can come up in life.

I can be reached at 617-538-3860 in the evenings in case anyone has any questions or comments.

Nath

Thanks Silverfox. I am slowly recuperating from the flu. I am sorry that I was not able to check the postings more regularly.

I have not heard from Ragachandrika. But Silverfox, you might want to talk to Shri.Gopalswamy and get the ball rolling.

Ngopalas, thanks for your initiative.

Ramki

Dear Brahmin friends:
It is gratifying to see the helping hands. However, if I may make a suggestion, please have all these requests channel thru us, the admin team. We are working on setting up a fund and will be contacting all the members in a week or so.
In the meantime, I am again requesting Ragachandrika to send an email to Ramki (refer to his post) so that we could get the ball rolling.

Ranganathan
(Silverfox)
p.s. Ragachandrika: If you need immediate assistance, I am in Chennai right now. Contact me on my cell: 99400-31726.

Dear Dr. Nath:
Thank you so much for bringing up Raga's case to this forum. You are truly a 'good samaritan'. I had the pleasure of chatting with your dad, a very nice gentleman of great wisdom.
He was kind enough to call Raga immediately (obviously, Raga's family dont have phone or internet). I talked to her briefly about her requirements. She has sent me an email, extract of which I am publishing below.

Respected Sir,
I spoke to you on 4.1.07 through Mr.Gopalswamy.My fees is Rs.5790 for one semester.I pay that as Rs.3790 as cheque and Rs.2000 as D.D,as per my college rules.Now I am in my 2nd year(4th semester).
My mother told that we have to repay last 4 semesters money which we got from our relatives.So please help me for this amount and my further studies also.
Thank you so much! for considering my letter in the website.

Ramki, I am glad to hear you are getting back on your feet. I tried your cell phone many a times but it goes to a voice mail. As you know, Praveen and I getting together Saturday evening to finalize our funding logistics. In the meantime, how do you think we should handle this?

Since she does not have a computer at home, and is only able to check this website once a week at a browsing center, I will call my father tonight to get in touch with her next door and respond to the posts. Also, if any members or admins are in Boston area, it would be good for those of us to meet and discuss how to help our community back in TN. Since the TN Govt is not helping, I think it is incumbent upon us to locate deserving students so that they can come up in life.

I can be reached at 617-538-3860 in the evenings in case anyone has any questions or comments.

Nath

Awareness is important

I think there should be greater awareness among Brahmins that people can assist with tuition fees, and also with career advice to help achieve at least a modest standard of living. After that of course, it is upto each person to make their own life.

I think getting organized is important to identify deserving cases and disbursing funds. To combat fraud, and increase confidence of members to contribute, measures should be adopted to pay fees directly to the colleges, and ask requestors to provide a reference etc.

Dear members:
After our meeting and discussions, we have come up with the following action item to help out our less fortunate young men/women:

1. We will send out a request for a donation (for 2007) from all our members. While any amount is welcome, it would be nice if India-based members contribute about Rs.2,000 and the foreign-based members contrib ute about $100. This way, we dont have to bother the memebrs each time a request comes in.
2. All the members who contributed, will get a private PIN number so that they could see their contribution as well as the disbursement. We want to keep this as a open book.
3. I have requested Praveen to send out a broadcast request after we hear from our members what they think. We give about 10 days for this, after which Praveen will send out the request.

Thank you all for being very supportive; now please contribute!

dear silverfox,
good beginning. thanks for the trouble u r all taking. i am ready for this scheme.tell how to remit the money.
bye eswaran

Thanks for getting it rolling Silverfox. Hopefully all members will join our efforts and contribute generously.

Ramki

Dear members:
After our meeting and discussions, we have come up with the following action item to help out our less fortunate young men/women:

1. We will send out a request for a donation (for 2007) from all our members. While any amount is welcome, it would be nice if India-based members contribute about Rs.2,000 and the foreign-based members contrib ute about $100. This way, we dont have to bother the memebrs each time a request comes in.
2. All the members who contributed, will get a private PIN number so that they could see their contribution as well as the disbursement. We want to keep this as a open book.
3. I have requested Praveen to send out a broadcast request after we hear from our members what they think. We give about 10 days for this, after which Praveen will send out the request.

Thank you all for being very supportive; now please contribute!

Trust fund and tax deductibles

Is the fund going to be organized as a trust fund? One may need to do so to prevent legal liabilities. Let me elaborate. If someone (individual or institution) were to claim damages for any reason due to non-timely receipt of funds, or decrease in funds anticipated, or some other reason, it would be wise to legally keep the funds from being awarded to the third party.

Also, if corporates or individuals want to contribute large sums, they would want a receipt for tax exemption purposes. I hope these matters are being considered when setting up a charitable fund. While this may not be important now, it could become important later on if the fund corpus grows significantly. Also, undisbursed funds in a trust fund can be invested in market instruments so that additional tax benefits can accrue.

Dear Dr. Nath:
While I agree with your ideas of setting up a trust fund, we simply don't have the time or the wherewithal of doing so because of the complexity. Right now, we will collect the funds and let it stay in a bank in some person's name. Out of this, we will do the disbursements. Of course, a copy of this passbook will be scanned monthly and posted for people to see. As I have said, I would like to keep this as open as possible so that no member should question our motives. We will run a clean ship. If somebody wants to take charge of this account in Chennai, by all means, please come forward.

Navy-Easwaran & Ramki: Thank you guys! You are always there for us!
As part of my donation, let me pay Raga her fees (about Rs.5800) myself. Also, remember, we need to help out Srividhya for her next year's tuition.

Members, please, come back with your views so that we can start the campaign soon. Thanks to all of you. Remember, we are all in this together; talk is cheap; let us show action.

Last edited:
dear silver fox,
thanks on behalf of ragachandrika.
i expect many more of us coming forward to help deserving candidates. but also remember that some of our members are in the forum for getting help. so the contribution should be as much as possible from the haves.
as regards srividya of coimbatore my contribution will continue till 4 th year.
thank u
namaskarams
eswaran

Thanks everybody for the good response. If you could let me know how to remit the amount, I shall do so .

thanks again

Thank you, Bhooma for stepping forward.

I will be publishing information on how to send checks/DDs from people in India or dollar checks from people outside India, within a week. I need to speak with the bank manager on how best to open an account and deposit the money.

this message is for ragachandrika:
i read in the previous post that u dont have a computer. i can arrange for a cpu (an old one which has been discarded) with celeron 266 mhz 440lx/ex mother board, 32 mb ram, multimedia preloaded with linux.openoffice etc.
but it does not have monitor and speakers and ups.
this i can bring when i come to madras in march. u can collect from my brothers place in virugambakkam.
let me know if u cam manage other parts.
best wishes.
eswaran

comp for ragachandrika

further to navyeaswarans mail..

I have a comp at home which i am not using ... since i am not computer savvy, I do not how much of it can still be used . but i can make arrangements for it to be delivered within chennai.

ragachandrika .. let me know

dear bhooma,
thanks
we require more such people to comeforward to help each other. i see a sea change in the attitude of our youngsters. let there be further awakening and improvement in the hearts of all tamilians.
god bless all
eswaran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back