• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

antyeshti right to daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunkan

Here is an extract from the book, "WOMEN IN THE VEDIC AGE"-Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan 1954.

"There are two passages in the Rig-veda which refer to the case where a a daughter is the only child of the family."
( RV I124.7, RV III 31.1).

"Yaska quotes one of these to explain the legal position of the only daughter. According to his interpretation (Nirukta II.5), it means that a brother less maiden even after she has been given away in marriage, can perform the funeral rights of her father. Not only does this give her the right to inherit the property, but it shows that she is legally recognized as equal to a son"
(page 4- second edition 1954.)

it is very soothing to read this and i dont know why vadhyars say all kind of stuff and deny the right of a girl child...sunkan

Here is an extract from the book, "WOMEN IN THE VEDIC AGE"-Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan 1954.

"There are two passages in the Rig-veda which refer to the case where a a daughter is the only child of the family."

"Yaska quotes one of these to explain the legal position of the only daughter. According to his interpretation (Nirukta II.5), it means that a brother less maiden even after she has been given away in marriage, can perform the funeral rights of her father. Not only does this give her the right to inherit the property, but it shows that she is legally recognized as equal to a son"

it is very soothing to read this and i dont know why vadhyars say all kind of stuff and deny the right of a girl child...sunkan

I agree with you..sometimes I wonder why learned men dont realize that the difference between a male and female is verily the body only..Our Atma is neither Male,Female nor Neuter..
Like one iyengar priest told me once that females lack one type of prana..cant recite gayatri mantra etc..He was so learned but still so deluded..

i wonder why many learned men cant assimilate the hidden message..
They keep preaching Aham Brahmaasmi..Tat Tvam Asi but dont understand the meaning..Like parrots...

I am not an expert on the subject but I wish a discussion made on the above Quote of Rig Vedha.

My mother was the only daughter of my grandfather. Last rights were done to my grandfather with due authorizations from my mother by my distant uncle ( Pillu Vaangindu Pandrathu). My father performed annual shrardha for my maternal grandfather till he was alive.

I think there is no confusion in the rights of a girl child in performing last rights to her parents. The variations are taking place only in implementation.

Anyway I wish other learned scholars here to throw more light on the subject.

All the best

I am not an expert on the subject but I wish a discussion made on the above Quote of Rig Vedha.

My mother was the only daughter of my grandfather. Last rights were done to my grandfather with due authorizations from my mother by my distant uncle ( Pillu Vaangindu Pandrathu). My father performed annual shrardha for my maternal grandfather till he was alive.

I think there is no confusion in the rights of a girl child in performing last rights to her parents. The variations are taking place only in implementation.

Anyway I wish other learned scholars here to throw more light on the subject.

All the best

dear RVR,
my brother did that for my husband too, but during the thevasam the vadhyar said no pindam should be kept as u have only girls, that made me sad now who can change this scene, one should be allowed to do girl or boy but the thought to do and get blessing from the ancestors is more important, that the vadhyar should understand but the fees was never brought down that remained the same, all these make one feel bhagavan varam koduthallum u know who does not do...sunkan

I did these ceremonies for my elder sister Her son in Law would have done this but was out of India could get back only on the 3rd day and took over from me. The vadiyars were very understanding did a great job I must say We should have an open mind that is all. The vadiyars have become professionals and their package includes getting the death certificate Jambu:pray:

dear RVR,
my brother did that for my husband too, but during the thevasam the vadhyar said no pindam should be kept as u have only girls, that made me sad now who can change this scene, one should be allowed to do girl or boy but the thought to do and get blessing from the ancestors is more important, that the vadhyar should understand but the fees was never brought down that remained the same, all these make one feel bhagavan varam koduthallum u know who does not do...sunkan

Sri sunkan ji,

Excuse me to interfere being a layman in this subject...

1) Vedic rules for offering pindam are valid for many reasons..and vaadhiyaars are stictly following it...Why should we lure vaadhiyaars by paying more dakshinai and over rule just to satisfy ourself?. In fact mostly vaadhiyaars will not axcept your bonus money so as to not to deviate from his vedic principles. As well vaadhiyars need not to reduce their fees due to the lack of pindam dhaanam by son. I don't think, true vedic rituals got fee structure for a particular single activity..I mean the fee structure varies by the scale of the performance and not by the basic steps involved.

2) We need not to feel sorry for not having a son to offer pindam. Still the family would get the blessings of the departed soul and that of the ancestor's.. Pindam Dhaanam is the responsibility of a Son towards the departed soul. If one don't have son, than a related man can be considered to offer pindam dhaanam for the departed soul.

The above are as per my limited knowledge...Neither my forefathers (to the extent I know them) were vaadhiyaar nor I am a vaadhiyaar.

Last edited:
my mother's shradham was performed by my father's older brother who is alive,even though i was alive and could not travel to do the last rites.my oldest sister gave the right to perform to my uncle,so clearly shastras have accepted the position of women authorising the men,to carry the last rites,even though,they are asked not to do directly,becoz the sex is determined by father's chromosomes only,even in this scientific era.the mapping of father & son,genes carry on,thats why our gothram is named after the male rishi rather than female wife of the rishi.though i am told,in matriarchal society like west bengal kerala tn etc mother's lineage is given importance,so its not true,women get relegated in background.of course women vadhyar's need to be produced,as of now vadhyar profession is totally a male dominated profession today,which i sulk about.

Sri sunkan ji,

Excuse me to interfere being a layman in this subject...

1) Vedic rules for offering pindam are valid for many reasons..and vaadhiyaars are stictly following it...Why should we lure vaadhiyaars by paying more dakshinai and over rule just to satisfy ourself?. In fact mostly vaadhiyaars will not axcept your bonus money so as to not to deviate from his vedic principles. As well vaadhiyars need not to reduce their fees due to the lack of pindam dhaanam by son. I don't think, true vedic rituals got fee structure for a particular single activity..I mean the fee structure varies by the scale of the performance and not by the basic steps involved.

2) We need not to feel sorry for not having a son to offer pindam. Still the family would get the blessings of the departed soul and that of the ancestor's.. Pindam Dhaanam is the responsibility of a Son towards the departed soul. If one don't have son, than a related man can be considered to offer pindam dhaanam for the departed soul.

The above are as per my limited knowledge...Neither my forefathers (to the extent I know them) were vaadhiyaar nor I am a vaadhiyaar.

dear ravi,
what i meant was the payment that was fixed for all the ten days never deviated except for the pindam, anyway now i do better by donating rice and dhall and vellam to a temple during its utsavam for annadhanam and feel i do it in my own way better...sunkan

dear ravi,
what i meant was the payment that was fixed for all the ten days never deviated except for the pindam, anyway now i do better by donating rice and dhall and vellam to a temple during its utsavam for annadhanam and feel i do it in my own way better...sunkan

Madam Sunkan,

We are performing Annadhanam during Naveena Swayavaram function with donations. At Coimbatore more than 400 people took food. If there is any excess food, we shall donate to the nearby orphanage.

We intend conducting similar function at Trichy in early June 2010 and are planning Annadhanam there also

We are planning to form a trust shortly.

Those who are interested can donate for the cause where hundreds are people are fed at every event.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back