• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why are we here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectable members,

'Why are we here?' is a common question raised by almost all the persons who has the capacity to think. We have seen some attempts to answer this question in philosophy and in religion. I bring forward an explanation provided by Mr. Richard Dawkins based on the study by Mr. Charles Darwin.

( I would explain why I chose to post this serial later on in this thread..).

YouTube - dawkinschannel's Channel

(Kindly find part 2 and 3 from the right side list, please. Thank you).

Last edited:
To Raghyji, Your Q the answer is this: We born in this world to go back to the source and get rid of birth and death. Due to our Karmas we got an opportunity to born as human beings and in the human form only we can serch the GOD and Realize GOD.Our purpose of birth is this. s.r.k.

Sri.S.R.K,

Greetings. Thanks for your opinions.

...in the human form only we can serch the GOD and Realize GOD.

At thiruverumbur, ants worshipped Lord Shiva...at Thiru anaikka it was an elephant and a spider who worshipped the God and Godess....At thirupathi, it was a cow who worshipped....the elephant was collecting lotus for worshipping when the crocodile caught it; it called out 'aadhi moolame'.....plenty stories about Cobras worshipping. There are many more stories than the examples I have shown. Animals have worshipped God...or so the story goes.

I can't believe in Karma theory. This world is about 4 bilion years old.....our semi developed ancestors were about 2 million years old....What about the animals etc lived before that? What was the karma for them?

This life is ruthless. Take my own case for example......About a million of us started; Every sperm bar me perished attempting to reach my mother's egg. Somehow I made it without any miscarriage. In that time, large number of children passed away struck by smallpox/chickenpox/cholera/malaria/polio....Somehow i made through...I had an education when more than 35% did not have a chance....I can go on. In a nut shell, we have been selfish all the time.

It is just the natural selection...only the fittest survive..

Cheers!

Respectable members,

We born in this world to go back to the source and get rid of birth and death.

I heard the above quoted reason for the question 'why are we here (in this world) from many sources. I am sure Sri.S.R.K would have read or heard from one such a source and answered my question with that answer. With all the due respect to Sri.S.R.K, I like to further analyse this answer, please.

To start with, the answer sounds too cyclic....we are here to go back to the source our starting point...then, why start inthe first place? Why not save all the trouble by not starting at all? This is not a question for the sake of a debate. I had this question lingering in my mind for a very long time.....without a proper reply though.

We tend to put too much in God's hand. Leaving aside the debate about the existence of God aside, I always wondered, why should one look up to God even for daily tasks? For whatever reason maybe, we are in this world...where only the fittest survive....God does not intervene with our daily lives. I request the members to reflect after watching the video provided below....In that video, who would have been supported by the God?

YouTube - Battle at Kruger

By the way, human beings are more cunning, more ruthless and more determined. Kindly reflect over that video and reality of life in this world, please. Thank you.

To Raghyji, Thanks, The Small q There is Big Answer.My serch in light and sound I have understood lot of things and that now a days I am not sitting infront the computor and reads the Topics.Some time I am responding, because Ramanar said that Silence is the way to learn so many things. Once on a Sivarathri day all devotees asambled at Ramanasharam and waiting for Bhawans speeches, but Ramanar just went into his Room and stared sleep, a devotee just went and asked Ramanar Bhawan pl come and sit we all will celebrate sivarathri and chant Dhasinamurthy sologam, Ramanar came out and sit at his place and closed his eyes, night Ten O clock passed then every Hour passed the devottess also in silience and at early Morning 4 O clock Ramaner opened his eyes and looked all devotes and said now all we learned Dhasinamurthy sologam. The silence is more powerful tool and meditate for two and half hour every at morning 3 am onwards is wonderful and you can get answers. I can go on explain things but that will not satisfy you, so just meditate and find it. s.r.k.

To All: So Priceless Is This Birth.
So priceless is this birth, O brother,
TThat by assumingit, the Supreme Lord can be met,
Thesoul herein drinks the nector of love,
And enjoys the bliss of eternal union,
The soul comes to be absorbed in God and regains,
The heritage of immortal treasure in its entirety,
She touches and sees the Lord directly,
O meeting the Supreme Lord, she merges in him,
Such a birth cannot be obtained again, O man,
Why dost thou waste this jewel? sayeth Dadu.
Dadu, The Compassionate Mystic. source RSSB the Spiritual link.

Sri.S.R.K,

Greetings.

Some time I am responding, because Ramanar said that Silence is the way to learn so many things.
I must admit, I am a bit disappointed with this reply. I thought Sri.Ramanar encouraged 'listening and observing' as the best tool to learn. Just imagine a person who does not know something just sit by himself/herself and meditate for 2 1/2 hours; possibly at the end of 2 1/2 hours, that person may not have gained any more knowledge about that subject. On the other hand, if the same person sits quitely listening to a lecture/discussion about the same subject amoung expets on that subject, then at the end of 2 1/2 hours, that person would have gained a fair bit of knowledge. I like this later method much better. That's why I asked my children to enrol in the University and attend lectures.

Cheers!

Last edited:
TO Raghy sir, Welcome,to learn you need a perfect Master and Master will teach how to do Meditation. Now a days there are lot of self styled Guru calling to learn so many things in the name of Spiritual, Yoga,etc., but no one teached how to get rid of bondage from this life cycle and the Souls cry. In my 35 years serch lastly I have landed at BEAS the Head Quarters of Radha Soami Satsang and there I took my Initation with NAAM from my living perfect Master. I am Happy because my GURU livies like a ordenery person not taking any money or meterials from any one and he always ask every one dont chase the GURU and he cannot do any thing against nature and every thing is in your hand and do meditation with NAAm that is the only tool to get liberation from world. So we all satsangies follow our Guru teaching that is You cannot change the World but you can change your self and once your life style changes and people look at you and say what makes this change and try to understand and slowly things will change. s.r.k.

Sri.S.R.K,

TO Raghy sir, Welcome,to learn you need a perfect Master and Master will teach how to do Meditation.

Thank you for your well intended suggestion. I could not help smile when I read it. Sir, I talk too much; I don't think any self-respecting Guru would consider taking me under his/her wings. Honestly I don't know what to with my life. I enjoy what I am doing...I just left it at that. I am glad to note that you are happy with your Guru. It is nice to know. In my case, like I said, I had not even made any efforts.

Cheers!

Sri.S.R.K said:-

we all satsangies follow our Guru teaching that is You cannot change the World but you can change your self

Sri, S.R.K, Greetings. I agree we can not change the world and make it to function in an orderly fashoin. It is not possible for us bring an 'utopian world'. Like you rightly said, we have to only change ourselves. Like I mentioned earlier posts, we humans can be more cruel, more cunning and more ruthless than wild animals (Sunitha Krishnan's talk posted in message #9 is an example). We have the natural instinct to compete and strive for success over the others. But, like you rightly said, we should change ourselves more caring for others; more compassionate towards vulnerable persons; be prepared to offer a supporting hand to help the victims of injustice; stand up and be counted in forming a better world for few persons atleast.

Mr.Kevin Bales is one such individual who strives to bring some positive changes in this world. I present Mr.Kevin Bales here.....

http://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_bales_how_to_combat_modern_slavery.html

More about Free The Slaves efforts at..Free the Slaves - Home

Cheers!

Respectable members,

Greetings. In our course of life, some of us develop weird capabilities. We just stand out miles ahead of our peers. Examples are some sportsmen/sports women, mathematicians, scientists, ilusionists etc. Some changes in thir physical make up out of the ordinary enables them to perform such feats (I am talking about feats much more complicated than an intense practicising...). For example, in the movie 'Rain man' I watched Raymond performs few amazing feats....Here is someone who is similar.. (heavy downpour man?)

Arthur Benjamin does "Mathemagic" | Video on TED.com

"I Have A Dream"

Respectable members,

In this thread I presented few opinions voiced by learned persons, opinion they voiced after long study and research. They presented the theories addressing our past and our present.

As the human being advances in their life, some of them slowly overcome their 'selfish genes'. They stand up for the poor, down trodden persons ( we have examples from this very forum), and people around them. They become leaders.

I present a speech by the title 'I Have A Dream'. It was delivered on 28th August, 1963. Here is 'The Dream'...

YouTube - Martin Luther King "I have a dream"

Cheers!

To Raghy ji. Thank Q for the very decent reply. If you are a Marked soul you will get your GURU, no body can stopit. Best wishes in advance. s.r.k.

Rhythm in everything

Respectable members,

As the human civilisation advances, our mind expands. We find more and more comfortable in expressing our freedom. Our expressions were more liberated than that of our elders. We find our children express their freedom more often than we did.

I present Sri.Sivamani. His message is 'there is rythm in everything, everywhere'. He is quite liberated in expressing his message!

Sivamani: Rhythm is everything, everywhere | Video on TED.com

Cheers!

.....As the human being advances in their life, some of them slowly overcome their 'selfish genes'. They stand up for the poor, down trodden persons

Dear brother Raghy, I direct you to the book "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins to see why it is the selfish genes that we need to thank for our natural love for our children and grandchildren, parents and grandparents, fellow human beings, and all life forms we see around us. So, to love and stand up for the poor, all we need to do is to not stand in the way of our selfish genes.

Cheers!

Dear brother Raghy, I direct you to the book "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins to see why it is the selfish genes that we need to thank for our natural love for our children and grandchildren, parents and grandparents, fellow human beings, and all life forms we see around us. So, to love and stand up for the poor, all we need to do is to not stand in the way of our selfish genes.

Cheers!

Dear Sri.Nara,

Greetings. In my message I should have written 'selfish attitude'. By writing 'selfish gene', I did not imply Mr.Richard Dawkins idea in anyway. My wife brought that book few weeks ago; I did not have the time to read that at all. Anyway, kindly read my message as 'selfish attitude' instead of 'selfish gene', please.

Cheers!

Respectable members,

Greetings. (I am very glad I had brief conversations with Sri.S.R.K and Sri.Nara. Otherwise, I would have felt that I am talking to myself in this thread. Honestly I am very surprised that members except Sri.S.R.K and Sri.Nara have nothig to say in this thread. Either this is an extraordinary thread, so extraordinary, members are spell bound to say anything.....or..this thread is so ordinary, it is not worth making any comment in this thread! Where does this thread stand? I am really curious to know!)

We have come across many persons who succeeded in their life. Some persons are willing to share their story with others. They really wish to inspire others on the way to their success.

Here is Mr.Steve Job's speech. (There are many more inspirational speeches to choose from the list on the right side, please).

YouTube - Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address

Cheers!

Last edited:
Respectable members,

Greetings. Most if not all of us have many questions about the life. How the life started; how the universe was started etc. Gullible persons believed the information fed by manupilative persons. But most persons asked the questions and still try to find the answers.

I present Mr.Stephen Hawking.

Stephen Hawking asks big questions about the universe | Video on TED.com

He says "I have been very lucky that my disability was not a serious handicap......" I don't think I would come across many persons with this kind of courage.

Kindly read more about Mr.Stephen Hawking - Stephen Hawking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stephen Hawking | Profile on TED.com

Cheers!

Respectable members,

'Why are we here?' is a common question raised by almost all the persons who has the capacity to think. We have seen some attempts to answer this question in philosophy and in religion. I bring forward an explanation provided by Mr. Richard Dawkins based on the study by Mr. Charles Darwin.

( I would explain why I chose to post this serial later on in this thread..).

YouTube - dawkinschannel's Channel

(Kindly find part 2 and 3 from the right side list, please. Thank you).

Dear Sir,

I would like to present my views as under. Sorry for the length of the post.

Your innocuous-looking query, "Why we are here" is a seminal one in human history.

IMHO, this question arises because we unknowingly tend to assume a superiority for Man over all other living things. Otherwise we should have thoght why all these living beings are there? But we know that almost all the other living beings serve a purpose by their presence, either favourable or harmful for Man. It is the purpose of Man being here, which alone is not clear. Does he play any role in relation to all the other living things? If so what exactly is it? We don't know. Religions tend to talk mostly about Man and God, not about Man and this world.

The word usually used in this context is 'creation' becasue it serves an agenda; if it is creation, there is a creator and since we have an a priori assumption that Man is the unique, acme of creation, he must be having a special position and relation vis-a vis the creator, who is, by general consensus, God. It is from such thinking that the various advanced religions of the world put forward their ontologies and then proceed to prescribe ways and means of achieving the purpose of existence.

In my view, we have no conclusive evidence to show that the assumption about the uniqueness of Man in the general structure of living beings known to us till now, is true. People tend to cite man's ability to laugh, to talk, and to control nature, as proofs for this. But we have birds which possess the unique ability to fly, fish which spend their lives completely in water, amphibians with ability to take to land as well as water with equal ease, many animals which can hibernate, snakes which can survive without food for very long time (which man would not be able to do) and so on.

As regards controlling or manipulating nature, it is of course true that Man has been able to tamper with nature to an astounding degree as compared to other living beings. But it is a moot point whether all this achievement was like one cutting the very branch of the tree on which he sits! Other living beings are not bereft of ability to do anything to modify nature. Starting from the lowly lacto-bacillus which curdles milk,

the earth worm which rejuvenates the earth and helps in maintaining its fertility, the honey-bee which turns nectar into honey by
regurgitation, to the Baya-weaver ("thookkanaam kuruvi") which builds very delghtful nests with great skill and structural strength to
withstand the wind force, we can find so many examples of other creatures with ability to modify and make use of nature.

In regard to communication, it is true that Man has the ability to talk, write and do many things arising from what we term as language skill. But we have knowledge now of the communication systems of whales, dolfins, etc., besides that of honey bees. What is stranger is that even trees communicate. I remember having read (long ago, so don't remember the source now) that an experiment was conducted in a large plantation in, France, I think. The trees at one end of the plantation were sprayed with pesticides which alter the chemical combination within the bark cells of the trees for a long time, and the trees up to a far off point (about a mile away from the original) were kept under study. It was found that the change in the bark cell structure spread from the trees at the spray-point to the other end gradually. While we may say that some of that pestcide would have got splashed to nearby trees, we cannot explain the changes in trees far away on this basis. In another experiment, some trees were cut at one place and the other trees studied and it was found that there was some immediate changes in the chemical composition of the leaf cells of the trees around it. A tree may be weeping or crying when it is cut! In short, in my view, all these

show that Man is just one of the living things or, creation, that is all. His special position, as is generally imagined, is due to his undue
exploitation of nature and the resultant hauteur.

So, the question why Man is here will have to be enlarged and modified as "why are all these living things here?" Well, that no one can answer with authority. The simplest answer will be " That is what nature is." Truly speaking we will be compelled to admit that we do not know. On that base of absolute ignorance Man has, however, built several grandiose religious mansions. And humanity (that includes me too) has been so captivated by or rather, addicted to religion, that it will not be able to live without religion of one kind or another.

Almost all other things on this earth and in the atmosphere function like some individual parts in a gigantic machinery and all of them
function in harmony and sustain what we find as the field for our existence, but Man alone has forgotten (or, he has not yet learnt) how to live in harmony with nature!

The ancient oriental philosophies like Confucianism exemplified such harmony whereas the Old Testament made God say to Adam that this earth and all that it contained was for his enjoyment. [Gen 2:16-17, And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."] This advice got transformed over the millennia into a mindset of endless exploitation of nature to satisfy the unlimited avarice of Man for possessions and enjoyment. Slowly this tendency spread all over the world through colonisation in the last few centuries and now we are on a par with the westerner in this respect; we are a global village!

Our ancients told us to live in tune with nature, live a contented life and after living a fruitful, long life, to accept death as it is the inevitable end. We have the very famous prayer,

bhadram kaRNEbhiH SR^nuyAma dEvAH bhadram paSyEmAkshabhiR yajatRAH |
stHirairangaistushTuvAg^m sastanUbhiH vyaSEma dEvahitam yadAyuH ||

"Satam jeevEma SaradssuveerAH" is also another prayer. Thus our vEdic ancestors valued this life and accepted that it would come to an end one day. They were less preoccupied with life after death, rebirth, salvation, etc.

"...A permanent factor in man's life which can be designated the Atman, its continuity when the body perishes at the time of death, its experiences after death, some essential unity among these Atmans through some Supreme Being, the existence of some beings who are not conditioned by the limitations of a body and of worldly existence, their guidance in the life of pious men, these aspects of philosophy are quite plain in the texts of the Rgveda. But there is considerable difficulty on one point, namely, the problem of Transmigration. There is no definite statement or hint about the Rgvedic Rsis being aware of such a phenomenon in man's life in the whole field of the Rgvedic texts...."

---C. Kunhan Raja, Head of the Department of Sanskrit, University of Madras, in his Foreward to the book titled "Atman in pre-Upanishadic Vedic Literature", by H.G. Narahari, M.A., M.Litt., Research Fellow.

It, therefore, appears that the idea of an eternal soul (in which the RigvEdic Rishis also believed) coming back to the earth, instead of
remaining for eternity in some different world along with all those others who went from here before, was a later product of the human mind.

The Greek philosophers like Pherecydes of Syros (lived in the 6th. century B.C.E.) and Pythagoras of Samos (570-495 B.C.E.) are believed to have preached transmigration of the soul. So, it is quite likely that this was a universal phenomenon in Man's thinking in that era.

The vEdic way of life started getting opposition which culminated in such views as lOkAyata of chARvAka completely rubbishing the vEdas, and the Ajivikas (who believed, in a primitive way, in reanimation of the soul), from which buddhism and jainism seem to have originated. It was probably at this juncture that the Upanishads with their emphasis on the soul and transmigration were formulated to counter the probable mass appeal of the rival trends. The karma theory was sort of a twin brother of the transmigration hypothesis which served two purposes at the same time as well; one, it provided a reason for the great inequalities among human beings in this world (and, incidentally, this proved highly useful in justifying the treatment meted out to the SUdras) and at the same time bolstered the transmigration hypothesis.

But then, the haunting questions arose like, was it to be an endless cycle of births and deaths, characterised by equally endless suffering for human beings? Is there no hope of escape? Here comes the role of the concept of salvation or mukti, a goal which is very difficult to achieve except by meticulously following the prescriptions laid down by the respective preceptor, and one that is not at all near in sight for the ordinary populace except to those privileged few who have been certified as having attained 'mukti' by the people living here who have no proof, direct or indirect, bar their own belief, to support it.

The post-Upanishadic growth of philosophy, vEdAnta, with its many rival or competing points of view and a central preoccupation with the issue of salvation (according to me) has made a complete mess (sorry, if somebody feels that this is a strong word) of the situation and so we today find that our learned preceptors were preoccupied with issues like, is everything real or unreal? if everything is unreal, how and who/what makes it appear as real? where does this entity reside which causes such a "mirage" effect?, whether God will care for his devotee even if the latter does not make any effort to attain Him?, whether making of any such effort by man will be deemed as an egotistic act?, and so on and so forth. Such highfaluting philosophies somehow always remind me of a story in the Hitopadesa about two people fighting over one's imaginary cow having been eaten by the other's equally imaginary tiger! We have our populace blissfully oblivious to all these arguments and still steeped in superstitions.

It might have been a good thing if our learned vEdAntic preceptors had followed the moral of the poem 'Abou Ben Adhem' by James Henry Leigh Hunt. For the convenience of those members who might not know this poem, I wish to reproduce it:

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still, and said "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

To me it appears as though GOD, the mysterious entity behind (or above) this universe and all that it contains, has not been understood by Man so far and, perhaps, he may never be able to do that. What Man can do, with quite a bit of strenuous effort, is to live in harmony with nature, but what he is more likely to do, and that too with ease, is to fight over God and kill each other, overexploit nature and thus bring history to an end.

Dear Shri Sangom,

Your posts are wonderfully insighful and i enjoy reading them.

I read somewhere that Yagnavalkya explained to his wife the biggest veda rahasya - the rahasya was that there is no soul and the body just ceases to function after a period. He was a thinker not a ritualist. At that time, no one called him a rationalist (in the sense we see today).

Btw, must say, i also see in Shri Nara another Yagnavalkya (re-born??) :)

the body comes alives,becoz of live living principle exists within a body.a woman and a man is generally the accepted process of creating another human.anyone who says otherwise is delusional and those who believe in such delusions are hullucinators.

we are here and everywhere.physically in one place,but mentally elsewhere.

Sri.Sangom Sir,

Greetings. I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of this post all this time. Many times I postphoned replying to this post; today I going to attempt at least part of it!

IMHO, this question arises because we unknowingly tend to assume a superiority for Man over all other living things. Otherwise we should have thoght why all these living beings are there? But we know that almost all the other living beings serve a purpose by their presence, either favourable or harmful for Man. It is the purpose of Man being here, which alone is not clear. Does he play any role in relation to all the other living things? If so what exactly is it? We don't know. Religions tend to talk mostly about Man and God, not about Man and this world.

No sir. The question raised in me when I reasised how neglibly small we are. The question raised when I was looking at the pictures of the distant stars and galaxies sent by Hubble. I almost concluded we are just insignificant in the universe when I realised even the planet earth is insignificant in the universe! Anyway, I was not thinking about religion, God or creation etc.

However, the quoted message is interesting. Indeed human race is superior over most of the other living things. But I don't think all the other living things are here for human's comfort. Everything including human beings are the result of 'permutation and combinations' of the cell mutiplication and gene copying. The trouble is, in my opinion, Human race is too smart for its own good!

Sorry Sri.Sangom Sir! After the first paragraph I am not able to proceed further. Since I basically started from a totally different outlook, your further explanations do not seem to fit. I request you to contribute more from my point of view, please. That is, the question why are we here comes after realising how microscopically small we are....

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back