• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fwd:Growing up as a Hindu......

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sangeetha

Hello,
Came across this article in a UK based website and thought i can fwd it 2 u ll.May be this is the plight of Hinduism across the globe now.

GROWING UP AS A HINDU IN SLOUGH by Nidhi Bhatia

It is generally understood that Muslims and Sikhs dominate Slough. However, unknown to many, there is also a large Hindu community in Slough. The only difference is that Muslims and Sikhs are vocal, whilst Hindus lurk beneath the wood works. At least that is my experience as a Hindu growing up in Slough.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sent to school with no grounding in my cultural heritage meant that I had no identity, and it was the same for the -other Hindus around me. The Muslims were recognised for their veil, the Sikhs for their turbans or bangles and the Christians as white skinned. But, the Hindus had nothing to show. So along with other Hindu children, I flowed in any direction the current took me.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I recall as a youngster, at the age of 10, going to the mandir for festivals such as Diwali and Holi, but not knowing the significance of anything that was happening. There were a huge number of Hindus at such events, but outside the mandir they did not stand out as Hindu, or maybe did not want to.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]During religious education classes at school, the Sikhs and Muslims would tell the class about their religion, not missing a single detail. Clearly, their family's had taught them well. At one such class, it was my turn to speak! Not knowing what to say, I said "actually I'm part Sikh". I was immediately accepted into a fraternity of Sikh children who had a strong sense of identity and who knew the right words in defence of their religion. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I enthusiastically attended Sikh religious rallies on a number of occasions. I remember watching hundreds of Sikhs, staging sword fights on the road in remembrance of their heroes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Looking back, I think I believed I was anything but Hindu. Once, at Diwali, my mum allowed me to call over our Muslim neighbours. We sat before the mandir, whilst mum did pooja and I laughed along with them at the spectacle. I laughed like for me Hinduism had ceased to exist.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All I saw in mandirs were Hindus singing and clapping along to bhajans. I looked at them with disdain. It seemed as if they believed that the more intensely they clapped, the quicker their sins would wash away. Despite their devotion, I knew that these people would never stay upright in defence of Hinduism should they be challenged about their practices verbally or physically.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Then my entire outlook changed. It was during my teenage years. I can't tell you exactly what led to the change, because I really don't know myself. All I can say is that everything changed. It began to dawn on me that Hindus were not even acknowledged as a religion, and this annoyed me. Although the word 'militant' is somewhat of a taboo in society, and maybe I am not using the word in the correct context. But, it's the only word I can use to describe my transition from feeble, confused young girl to a proud, defiant Hindu female that felt it her duty to become that positive influence that Hindus were in desperate need of.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As the transition came, people around me began to respect my presence as a Hindu. Yet I still hadn't truly realised the real depth and beauty of Hinduism. As a lone Hindu, who didn't know any like-minded Hindus, I was unsure whom to turn to for guidance in studying Hinduism. The result of this was that I still didn't know enough to defend Hinduism intellectually, but would instead get involved in heated confrontation with both Hindus and non-Hindus about religion. Not knowing how to intellectually answer criticism of Hinduism, I would use the only method I knew - aggression. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They would say, "You don't know your identity that is why you have so many Gods. Why do you pray to elephants and monkeys?" "Hindus are weak, that is why Sikhs were created to protect them." "Other Hindus don't care about Hinduism, so why should we?" There were endless questions that were thrown at me that I just couldn't answer. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When I look back, my frustration made clear sense. In the words of David Frawley, we are in need of the intellectual warrior, who has both heart to physically defend his/her religion and the intellect to successfully fight through discussion, argument and logic.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As I got older, the urgency to answer questions got stronger. I spent much of my time studying Hinduism and Bharat Mata (Mother India). I felt I was at competition with Muslims and Sikhs, who would attend weekend religious classes. I wasn't going to allow anybody to continuously insult my religion and say nothing back, so I made sure my I knew how to argue. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]During the age at which a sizeable proportion of Hindus were clubbing, drinking and dating, I was attempting to educate myself about my religion. Rather than be proud or supportive of me, my parents' reaction was full of negative clichés. Hinduism will do nothing for you, you must learn to integrate with society, you're becoming a fundamentalist, only uneducated people get involved in religion, don't wear that tikka (religious mark on the forehead) outside, you'll get jumped. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The only exception was my brother, the only other young Hindu I knew who I could talk to about things like this. I would spend hours in discussion with him, and when he was not there I spent hours in torturous mental conversations with myself. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Up until recently, I thought I was the only young Hindu who cared about Hinduism in the way I do. Thankfully, it turns out I was wrong. Once, I somehow stumbled across the large Hindu protest against French Designer Robertto Cavalli, staged by Hindu Human Rights outside the French Embassy in London. There, for the first time, I met many Hindus who felt like me and who were knowledgeable too. From then onwards I realised that God did indeed create protectors of Hinduism. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Today, Slough's dominance by Muslims and Sikhs is growing further. They are even opening several public funded religious schools. Meanwhile Hindu parents are discouraging their children to get involved in Hinduism, leaving them without any sense of identity.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just as I was finishing up this article, I asked my mother why Hindus are discouraged from getting involved in their religion. She replied that Hindus believe religion will act as an obstacle to modernity and anyway, religion isn't so fashionable. This attitude may be precisely why so many Hindus are directionless today. Sometimes this can be very disheartening, but when I reflect upon the profound teachings of Hinduism, and read the pages of our history, I have faith that Hinduism has an intrinsic survival capability to continue to reign over the hearts of millions. Seasons will pass, fashions will change, but Hinduism will continue to uplift Humanity.[/FONT]

So, what do u think and feel? it all depends on our brought up, the environment and partly our friends.
Regards,
Sangeetha.

Fwd:Growing up as a Hindu...... Reply to Thread

Hinduism has an intrinsic survival capability to continue to reign over the hearts of millions. Seasons will pass, fashions will change, but Hinduism will continue to uplift Humanity.

Nidhi Bhatia’s finding of Hinduism is indeed great ….!! Apart from what every religion believe, Hindus have two more extra belief i.e., ‘karma & re-birth’. Hindus have to learn under a Guru and then practice what he learned. What you seed so will you reap. If your karmic actions are good to the humanity, you will attain Swarg. Even, by chance, you err. and ultimately end up with Narak, you will be given another chance to re born, to do good and attain Moksha.

To me this is very simple. Those who practice other than Hinduism have no chance to attain Swarg once they go to Narak. Or, if they believe, what ever be their karmic action in the name of their God, they will all attain Swarg.. then what is the necessity for them to do good in this birth. This belief system is the reason for all unrest now and the terror in the world.

Search ……search….you will get it.

GURUMURTHYJI

Good read.

I can relate to Nidhi in the sense that when i was even younger (!!!), i didn't feel very strongly about religion/community. Partly due to the fact that my mind was occupied with clearing exams. The more important reason i feel is that in "Hinduism", the culture is not sufficiently "inculcated". The general tendency of parents (atleast mine) was that "I am doing it so you better follow" or "My father told me to do this, now as your father i am asking you to follow this".

The children of the current generation are a lot more intelligent and they tend to "rationalize" things. Hence parents have a great responsibility to "explain" the hindu culture satisfactorily and not try to blindly "impose" the culture on them.

Regarding Hinduism's continuity i am reminded about the famous statement of an English Lord when he had to define the virtues of a Joint Stock Company (Public Company). He famously said - "Men may come, Men may go, but the Company goes on forever !!!!!".

Hinduism could stand the test of time, however it is our responsibility that the culture & ethos is protected too.

hesitation to show as hindu was there in vivekananda period.

due to influence of arya samaj ( people of coloniel educatation) we where thought to neglect our traditional values.

our education system is not teaching us our valueble books.
it is art of living.

we are being trained to ask question for every action (tarka sastra). IN tarka sastra every single point is dealt fully. every cross question is answered fully. Now we are not seeing to our own valueble books.

Now there is no education is there to thoughtus the traditional values.

so hindu's are shy to follow the tradition.

Good read.

I can relate to Nidhi in the sense that when i was even younger (!!!), i didn't feel very strongly about religion/community. Partly due to the fact that my mind was occupied with clearing exams. The more important reason i feel is that in "Hinduism", the culture is not sufficiently "inculcated". The general tendency of parents (atleast mine) was that "I am doing it so you better follow" or "My father told me to do this, now as your father i am asking you to follow this".

The children of the current generation are a lot more intelligent and they tend to "rationalize" things. Hence parents have a great responsibility to "explain" the hindu culture satisfactorily and not try to blindly "impose" the culture on them.

Regarding Hinduism's continuity i am reminded about the famous statement of an English Lord when he had to define the virtues of a Joint Stock Company (Public Company). He famously said - "Men may come, Men may go, but the Company goes on forever !!!!!".

Hinduism could stand the test of time, however it is our responsibility that the culture & ethos is protected too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back