• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Does prayer change things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOES PRAYER CHANGE THINGS ?

They say that prayer changes things,but does it REALLY change anything?
Oh yes ! It really does

Does Prayer change ur present situation or sudden circumstances?
No,Not Always but it does change the way you look at those events

Does Prayer change your financial Future?
No,not always ,but it does change who u look to for meeting your daily needs

Does Prayer change shattered hearts?
No,not always,but it will change your source of strength & Comfort

Does Prayer change your wants & Desires?
No,Not Always.But it will change your wants into what GOD desires.

Does Prayer change how u view the World?
No,not always. but it will change whose eyes you see the world through.

Does Prayer change your regrets from the past?
No, not Always,but it will change your hopes for the Future.

Does Prayer change people around you?
No,not always.But it will change you.-because the problem isn't always in others.

Does prayer change your Life in ways you can't explain?
Oh yes Always! And it wil change you from the inside out!

So does Prayer REALLY change ANYTHING?
YES ! It Really does change EVERYTHING !!:pray::pray:

Prayer changes everything including death

Confidence in prayer is a must for who performs prayer
recite kandhar sashti kavasam even with no concentration you are sure to win your prayer
an english translation is available for you

Shakthi of prayer

shakthi of prayer always depends upon our degree of our indepth faithness. If u really believe, God will make it for me, then really it will be made. prayer is an external form. Thapas is an internal form.
Without anybody's knowledge you are carry on thinking or wanting something and for that thing you are making a continuous appeal, to whom you believe, it becomes penance.

there is an old english saying that 'more things are wrought by prayer than the human ever dreams of'.

i am of the prayer fulfills kind. i believe in prayers for my own peace of mind. i think my prayers uttered several times a day, in no particular fixed order or place or time, helps me and my family eventually.

i do not think i can pray to ask for wealth, a bmw or fly first class from toronto to chennai. that is not my concept of god. but for general health, peace of mind and for a quick painless death, and such esoteric stuff, i think, i believe, prayers will eventually have their effect.

which is why, i have problems when someone has a big poojai and feed 110 brahmins, and as a consequence will immediately have material prosperity. prayers are not tools of trade between us, and God. i think so anyway. prayers are a means for us to communicate to ourselves and through that a conduit to our God, for our eventualy peaceful release from this planet. i think so too anyway.

Prayer, like religious belief, is a very personal matter. It may be anything from mere mental prayer with no attendant formalities, to the most expensive and showy poojas. But IMHO one's prayer should not disturb the neighbour's peace. At the same time we need not deride those who do not pray in the same manner as we do.

Though most of us may not have the "divya chakshus" to actually find out whether prayers make any change in the aura etc., at least it enables one to forget one's worries and troubles for the duration of the prayer.

I know one case which happened some 60 years ago. We, in our Kerala village, had a widow who had a son who was dumb and partly deaf also, I think, from the way he used to appear inattentive. An astrloger told the woman to take the boy to the temple at "Ochira" near Quilon on a particular day every month. This she was doing. At that stage we (our family) had to shift to another place due to my father's transfer. When we enquired after a few years we were informed that the boy had become completely normal and was doing manual labour and earning. I consider this as some sort of exceptional happening.

Incidentally, there is no idol at the Ochira temple. What we worship is the immeasurable God without form at the place which is marked by a group of banyan trees. The legend has it that a namboodiri was travelling through that part of the country which was a thick jungle, in times of yore with his servant carrying the box of wealth. The Namboodiri was constantly praying loudly to God to protect him and his money from the robbers who were very common in that area.

The servant asked him how God would look. The Namboodiri got angry at this insolence (so he might have thought) on the part of the lowly servant and rebuffed him saying, "God will look like a huge bull.". The servant constantly imagined a huge bull and prayed to him in his mind.

After some time robbers attacked them and the Namboodiri started wailing appeals to God to come and rescue him, but to no avail. The robbers started attacking the servant and snatched the cash box from him after a struggle. Then the servant cried out, "O Mighty Bull, please come and save us", and then a huge bull appeared suddenly and attacked the robbers who had to flee. The Namboodiri was awestruck because he could not see the bull. He asked the servant how he was able to drive away so many robbers with absolute ease and the servant told him that God, the huge bull, had done it, not himself.

The Namboodiri prayed to God for giving him also His darsan but there was only an "asareeri" which said that "people like you cannot see me, who is beyond form and size, so worship me on this spot as this vast universe without any form".

Once or twice attempts were made to provide a roof around those banyan trees so that devotees will not get drenched in rain. But it was not successful.

sangom,

no better summary of personal prayer could be found, but your explanation here. good stuff :)

Prayer, like religious belief, is a very personal matter. It may be anything from mere mental prayer with no attendant formalities, to the most expensive and showy poojas. But IMHO one's prayer should not disturb the neighbour's peace. At the same time we need not deride those who do not pray in the same manner as we do.

Though most of us may not have the "divya chakshus" to actually find out whether prayers make any change in the aura etc., at least it enables one to forget one's worries and troubles for the duration of the prayer.

I know one case which happened some 60 years ago. We, in our Kerala village, had a widow who had a son who was dumb and partly deaf also, I think, from the way he used to appear inattentive. An astrloger told the woman to take the boy to the temple at "Ochira" near Quilon on a particular day every month. This she was doing. At that stage we (our family) had to shift to another place due to my father's transfer. When we enquired after a few years we were informed that the boy had become completely normal and was doing manual labour and earning. I consider this as some sort of exceptional happening.

Incidentally, there is no idol at the Ochira temple. What we worship is the immeasurable God without form at the place which is marked by a group of banyan trees. The legend has it that a namboodiri was travelling through that part of the country which was a thick jungle, in times of yore with his servant carrying the box of wealth. The Namboodiri was constantly praying loudly to God to protect him and his money from the robbers who were very common in that area.

The servant asked him how God would look. The Namboodiri got angry at this insolence (so he might have thought) on the part of the lowly servant and rebuffed him saying, "God will look like a huge bull.". The servant constantly imagined a huge bull and prayed to him in his mind.

After some time robbers attacked them and the Namboodiri started wailing appeals to God to come and rescue him, but to no avail. The robbers started attacking the servant and snatched the cash box from him after a struggle. Then the servant cried out, "O Mighty Bull, please come and save us", and then a huge bull appeared suddenly and attacked the robbers who had to flee. The Namboodiri was awestruck because he could not see the bull. He asked the servant how he was able to drive away so many robbers with absolute ease and the servant told him that God, the huge bull, had done it, not himself.

The Namboodiri prayed to God for giving him also His darsan but there was only an "asareeri" which said that "people like you cannot see me, who is beyond form and size, so worship me on this spot as this vast universe without any form".

Once or twice attempts were made to provide a roof around those banyan trees so that devotees will not get drenched in rain. But it was not successful.

Hello folks,

The very concept of prayer is quite problematic. Most thoughtful people readily reject prayer for something material in return from God. A barter contract like that goes only to cheapen the very nature of this supposed God.

We have to include "health" also under this "material" category, as it would be mean of a benevolent God to withhold it until he receives payment in the form of prayer. In the same vein, things such as peace of mind and quick death, for which K finds prayer will be effective, albeit eventually, is no less a barter in principle than simple deals such as 108 coconuts for a pass in exams.

We are now left with prayer having calming effect. This falls under the same category as calming music, ocean waves, rainbow, and other assorted natural scenery. Belief in a supernatural entity is superfluous.

I will leave you with this from the Greek philosopher Epicurus:
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
But for the systematic eradication of Lokayata texts by our ancients, we would also have many such gems in our tradition.

Cheers!

Hello folks,

The very concept of prayer is quite problematic.

We are now left with prayer having calming effect. This falls under the same category as calming music, ocean waves, rainbow, and other assorted natural scenery. Belief in a supernatural entity is superfluous.

I will leave you with this from the Greek philosopher Epicurus:
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
But for the systematic eradication of Lokayata texts by our ancients, we would also have many such gems in our tradition.

Cheers!

Dear Nara,

The concept is not problematic; it is effective for those who believe and not effective for those who do not. Your quotes of Epicurus make me cite a book titled "God" written by one Sri A.N. Moorthy Rao who lived a full life (1900-2003) and wrote the book in his eighties. He argues that God cannot be omnipotent, omnipresent and compassionate at the same time, and, therefore, our concept of a God who has all these three virtues, is erroeneous. Obviously he is right and that is where the Law of Karma enters the scene and helps God!

....The concept is not problematic; it is effective for those who believe and not effective for those who do not.

Dear Shri sangom, I am unable to accept the above statement. The first case is personal experience and anything can be claimed, and the second case does not arise as prayer presupposes belief. Perhaps I am missing something you have left unsaid.

.. Obviously he is right and that is where the Law of Karma enters the scene and helps God!
Then, we don't need God at all, the Law of Karma can take care of everything.

If prayer to God by those who believe can make him alter the Law of Karma, then God is a merchant, changing the laws when he gets paid in prayer. If not, then prayer is not effective even if it is done with unshakable belief. Either way, the Epicurean paradox remains.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Shri sangom, I am unable to accept the above statement. The first case is personal experience and anything can be claimed, and the second case does not arise as prayer presupposes belief. Perhaps I am missing something you have left unsaid.

What I left unsaid was that those who do not believe will not pray. For such a person will have to come to this view (that prayer is ineffective) in this world where almost all families will bring up their children with a dose of prayer, initially. Hope my statement makes some sense now.

Then, we don't need God at all, the Law of Karma can take care of everything.

If prayer to God by those who believe can make him alter the Law of Karma, then God is a merchant, changing the laws when he gets paid in prayer. If not, then prayer is not effective even if it is done with unshakable belief. Either way, the Epicurean paradox remains.
Cheers!

The God concept today works - at least in vast number of people - in this way; if we get some favourable results it is all due to God and His mercy, whereas, if we do not get any favourable result/unfavourable result is not warded off, it is because our karma was so powerfully bad that the dose of prayer was not sufficient to neutralise that and make us eligible for God's intervention. Put differently, all good things are from God, all evil, from Karma (which can be equated with the Christian Satan!

what i left unsaid was that those who do not believe will not pray. For such a person will have to come to this view (that prayer is ineffective) in this world where almost all families will bring up their children with a dose of prayer, initially. Hope my statement makes some sense now.

The god concept today works - at least in vast number of people - in this way; if we get some favourable results it is all due to god and his mercy, whereas, if we do not get any favourable result/unfavourable result is not warded off, it is because our karma was so powerfully bad that the dose of prayer was not sufficient to neutralise that and make us eligible for god's intervention. Put differently, all good things are from god, all evil, from karma (which can be equated with the christian satan!
sangom ji
well said.all in belief only that is the life.
Who ever prays to god. he never ask in such a way, what actually I deserve that only you give me, according to my merit.

Last edited:
.... all in belief only that is the life.
Who ever prays to god. he never ask in such a way, what actually I deserve that only you give me, according to my merit.

Hello, please don't take this personally, just as an impetus to think and reflect.

This is based on a story I heard a long time ago, with some embellishment thrown in by yours truly. Please don't pay attention to the scaffold, reflect on the significance of the underlying message.

This story is about narees (foxes), and a small group of naras :)

There was this nari who got his tail cut off by accident. All the other narees laughed at him. Feeling embarrassed, he said, with his tail gone he is now able to see Nari Lord right in front of him and started describing Nari Lord in great detail. He then encouraged other narees also to cut their tail so they can also see Nari Lord.

Nobody would go for it. Finally one of the more curious and adventurous ones said he will give it a try and cut his tail off. Seeing nothing he felt stupid, but didn't want to admit it. So he also said he could see Nari Lord.

Now a stampede was on. narees were falling over each other to cut their tails off so they can also see Nari Lord. Nobody would admit afterward that they could not see Nari Lord. Each nari thought all others saw Nari Lord and it is just him/her who could not see and therefore it must be his/her fault.

In due course of time, rituals were developed for the right way to cut the tail off. Books were written about how elevating it is to cut the tail off. These books became sacred. Great gurus came along to explain the true meaning of tail and the spiritual ecstasy that will result from cutting it off. Traditions were established on the true meaning of tail. Some said tail is only an illusion, it really does not exist. Others said tail is as real as Nari Lord himself.

Tail cutting became an important spiritual ritual. All grownup narees dutifully followed this age old tradition of cutting the tail off of their young narees, before they become old enough to question the tradition that has come down from their forefathers for generations. Priests were hired to perform the ritual at the right age. Once the tail is cut off the priest will point to the direction where Nari Lord is to be seen. Most narees reverentially nod their heads and offer praise to Nari Lord. Some even become ecstatic and start dancing. Some sing beautiful songs in praise.

There was a small group of narees who were honest and insisted there is nothing there, when you cut your tail the only thing that happens is you lose your tail, the whole thing is nothing more than superstition.

The entire naree community came down on this small group. They were derided as damn atheists. They are incapable of sincerity. To see Nari Lord after cutting the tail one has to delve deep into one's spiritual feelings and these damn atheists are incapable of it. If they are good people they will see Nari Lord. The very fact they can't see Nari Lord shows they are trouble makers.

What is sad indeed is, this is not just a story!!!

Hello, please don't take this personally, just as an impetus to think and reflect.

This is based on a story I heard a long time ago, with some embellishment thrown in by yours truly. Please don't pay attention to the scaffold, reflect on the significance of the underlying message.

This story is about narees (foxes), and a small group of naras

There was this nari who got his tail cut off by accident. All the other narees laughed at him. Feeling embarrassed, he said, with his tail gone he is now able to see Nari Lord right in front of him and started describing Nari Lord in great detail. He then encouraged other narees also to cut their tail so they can also see Nari Lord.

Nobody would go for it. Finally one of the more curious and adventurous ones said he will give it a try and cut his tail off. Seeing nothing he felt stupid, but didn't want to admit it. So he also said he could see Nari Lord.

Now a stampede was on. narees were falling over each other to cut their tails off so they can also see Nari Lord. Nobody would admit afterward that they could not see Nari Lord. Each nari thought all others saw Nari Lord and it is just him/her who could not see and therefore it must be his/her fault.

In due course of time, rituals were developed for the right way to cut the tail off. Books were written about how elevating it is to cut the tail off. These books became sacred. Great gurus came along to explain the true meaning of tail and the spiritual ecstasy that will result from cutting it off. Traditions were established on the true meaning of tail. Some said tail is only an illusion, it really does not exist. Others said tail is as real as Nari Lord himself.

Tail cutting became an important spiritual ritual. All grownup narees dutifully followed this age old tradition of cutting the tail off of their young narees, before they become old enough to question the tradition that has come down from their forefathers for generations. Priests were hired to perform the ritual at the right age. Once the tail is cut off the priest will point to the direction where Nari Lord is to be seen. Most narees reverentially nod their heads and offer praise to Nari Lord. Some even become ecstatic and start dancing. Some sing beautiful songs in praise.

There was a small group of narees who were honest and insisted there is nothing there, when you cut your tail the only thing that happens is you lose your tail, the whole thing is nothing more than superstition.

The entire naree community came down on this small group. They were derided as damn atheists. They are incapable of sincerity. To see Nari Lord after cutting the tail one has to delve deep into one's spiritual feelings and these damn atheists are incapable of it. If they are good people they will see Nari Lord. The very fact they can't see Nari Lord shows they are trouble makers.

nara,

what a delightful writer,comedian you are.i was laughing so much,my belly aches,as i imagined you as 'kulla naree' with your tail cut off ha ha ha :tea:

as far as god is concerned,what you say or rather write is also within your head,isn't it?not dawkins truth!when rig veda veda states,the sun neither rises nor sets,most people look at me credulously and even say rig veda is false.on the contrary,scientifically it's true,which can be proved scientifically.

even you sir,couple of year's back,were beleiving,all the satakopans,jeeyars,thathachariars...etc of sri vaishnava faith.now,owing to your brain secretions of serotonin,some short circuit has happened for the good of you,and you have been singularlly portraying a diff perspective of god,religion,caste here in the forum.this gives you happiness,which is what you want,and we are obliged to treat you,as our own and be happy too.:boom:.your depth of knowledge is such a welcome,but totally wasted here,as i enjoy like in a movie,where a clown has a part :party:.

party time cheers :typing:.

when an european lady was singing a classical rendition theme ,the voice was so shrill,that my wine glass got shattered !!! which goes to prove,that mantra drashtas or mantras when chanted loudly has a audible effect which affect all of us to some extent.

Dear Nara, Vadivelu effectively copies this "nari" trick in a movie. It is really hilarious.

Having said that, some people say, "What if there really is a God and he takes revenge on me?".

....Having said that, some people say, "What if there really is a God and he takes revenge on me?".

Dear Shri sangom,

I really don't want to be a wise guy, especially with you as you are one of the very few I have come to greatly respect in this forum....

To these people who are worried about god taking revenge, I would say, a god who wants to take revenge, is no god.

No sir, I like my tail and I intend to keep it :), after all I am both a monkey and a donkey :) :)

Cheers!

To these people who are worried about god taking revenge, I would say, a god who wants to take revenge, is no god.

for a guys who say's NOW,that there is no god,you sure act as if you know god.but,then your background fro sv,is the karanam.god is NOT someone who is outside of you only,more often than not,god is the indweller of prakrithi which is sagunam.but having already got into a faith and got out of it,dunno tommorrow where you will be in your stand,there is no credibility you possess,just wind here.:)

Dear Sir,

Please send prayer for chaging things done very soon as i am currently in very bad situation.

R.A.KUMAR
[email protected]
Dear Shri Kumar,

Your SOS makes me write this reply. I don't know what you mean by "chaging things done very soon as i am currently in very bad situation". If you have done wrong or foolish thing which has landed you in what you describe as a very bad situation, the best course will be to analyze what are the options available to you for getting out of the troubles, weigh their pluses and minuses in a practical way and select that which appears best to you. Of course, you can pray to whichever God you would like to and in whatever mode/manner you feel best, but there is no single capsule prayer for this just like "anacin for headache".

In case you feel like consulting someone on whom you have full trust, you may take his advice also. Simply praying and doing nothing on your part may not bring about results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back