• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vegetarian food

Food habits are cultural and by choice.

I am vegetarian by choice, but I respect others choice too.
I came across this talk, and I would like to share it.
I would like to apologize to all non-vegetarian friends.

[video=youtube_share;IL77ALB-fpQ]https://youtu.be/IL77ALB-fpQ[/video]

I havent watched the video..i have a short attention span...so I am not sure what it is about.

Even though I am vegetarian by choice I still feel one' s diet is ones personal choice..from personal experience I havent seen " sattva" in both vegetarians by birth or choice or non vegetarians.

Mostly all of us humans feel we make the " right" choice when all there is our personal preference based on our surroudings...do we really expect an Eskimo to be a vegetarian when hardly anything grows om ice?
Thats why the human body can digest both veg and meat cos each ones life style is different.

Last edited:
NV may have more appeal if meat is grown in the Lab or animals are not killed brutally but in a more scientific method not allowing the animals to feel the agony of pain.

Recently I have come across a video clipping of one Dr. Sivarama, Sidda Doctor I believe, who recommended NV for health point of you. He said 99% of Nobel Prize winners are beef eaters.

NV may have more appeal if meat is grown in the Lab or animals are not killed brutally but in a more scientific method not allowing the animals to feel the agony of pain.

Recently I have come across a video clipping of one Dr. Sivarama, Sidda Doctor I believe, who recommended NV for health point of you. He said 99% of Nobel Prize winners are beef eaters.

I have an Ayurveda book that talks about meat soup for some illnesses

But i dont believe in eating meat.

Yes..mainly Jews win nobel prize.
They consume a lot of mutton.

I havent watched the video..i have a short attention span...so I am not sure what it is about.

Even though I am vegetarian by choice I still feel one' s diet is ones personal choice..from personal experience I havent seen " sattva" in both vegetarians by birth or choice or non vegetarians.

Mostly all of us humans feel we make the " right" choice when all there is our personal preference based on our surroudings...do we really expect an Eskimo to be a vegetarian when hardly anything grows om ice?
Thats why the human body can digest both veg and meat cos each ones life style is different.

You may be doing too many things and may not have time to watch a long presentation. That may not be an issue of attention span. Anything worthwhile takes long attention span I think

The presenter makes an excellent case with stats why meat eating is so terrible (I am paraphrasing). Not talking about those living in Alaska or mountains or jungles

I heard the talk twice because of its excellence! :clap2:

I hate to sit near people, when they eat non-veg food!

(Makes me sick!!)

I heard the talk twice because of its excellence! :clap2:

I hate to sit near people, when they eat non-veg food!

(Makes me sick!!)

madam, let me tell you my views on eating.
the food we consume may be geographical I feel
for instance the middle east, jews or muslims, and arctic zone
where the land is covered by sand and snow respectively
do not have vegetation as such people take available food.
in india there is lot of rivers and flora grows abundantly
and hence vegetarians.
we do have exceptions as bengal has lot of fish and hence
it is in their menu. Mostly after the invasion of mugals and british, we eat nv

madam, let me tell you my views on eating.
the food we consume may be geographical I feel
for instance the middle east, jews or muslims, and arctic zone
where the land is covered by sand and snow respectively
do not have vegetation as such people take available food.
in india there is lot of rivers and flora grows abundantly
and hence vegetarians.
we do have exceptions as bengal has lot of fish and hence
it is in their menu. Mostly after the invasion of mugals and british, we eat nv

Exactly.

No doubt I am vegetarian I do not feel its wrong to eat non veg food...its a personal choice.

I have been reading the messages on this interesting subject, that has cropped up again. Here is my take on the subject.
Animals have teeth that are given by nature for eating certain types of food. For instance, herbivores, which are plant eaters, have strong and flat molars that are made for grinding vegetarian food and have small or non-existent canine teeth. As against this "Carnivores", the meat eaters of the animal world, have very prominent canine teeth for tearing meat, with limited number of molars. However "Omnivores", that eat both meat and plants, have a combination of sharp front teeth and molars for grinding.

Humans are basically "herbivores", however they have been provided two sets of Canine teeth as well to adopt non vegetarian food. Thus to that extent, we may be called "Omnivores".

The choice of food depends mostly on the availability and preference of taste.
Born in a strict vegetarian family, I am a vegetarian by upbringing. I love my food and there is no necessity for me to change my food preference.
It is my understanding that all living beings live by killing another life for food. To avoid killing, the choice is limited, except fruits all others have active or dormant life, as we notice in seeds.
Advancement of medical science has shown nourishment can be extracted chemically also.
Choice of food is a vast subject, the discussion can continue for ever.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Exactly.

No doubt I am vegetarian I do not feel its wrong to eat non veg food...its a personal choice.

The question is whether NV foods give more strength and power when compared to Veg. foods.

What is the conclusion from medical point of view?

I have been reading the messages on this interesting subject, that has cropped up again. Here is my take on the subject.
Animals have teeth that are given by nature for eating certain types of food. For instance, herbivores, which are plant eaters, have strong and flat molars that are made for grinding vegetarian food and have small or non-existent canine teeth. As against this "Carnivores", the meat eaters of the animal world, have very prominent canine teeth for tearing meat, with limited number of molars. However "Omnivores", that eat both meat and plants, have a combination of sharp front teeth and molars for grinding.

Humans are basically "herbivores", however they have been provided two sets of Canine teeth as well to adopt non vegetarian food. Thus to that extent, we may be called "Omnivores".

The choice of food depends mostly on the availability and preference of taste.
Born in a strict vegetarian family, I am a vegetarian by upbringing. I love my food and there is no necessity for me to change my food preference.
It is my understanding that all living beings live by killing another life for food. To avoid killing, the choice is limited, except fruits all others have active or dormant life, as we notice in seeds.
Advancement of medical science has shown nourishment can be extracted chemically also.
Choice of food is a vast subject, the discussion can continue for ever.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Humans are capable of eating anything. Somehow humans have a choice. But are they legitimate choices? How do we decide?

Vegetarians do kills plant lives to survive. OK so all things alive kill another life to exist.

But animals have flesh, blood, bones etc, they show how much they suffer when killed. Factory farming is where most meat is produced where animals from birth to death suffer. Even when there is a choice we want to eat animals. Animals have no choice, no intelligence to protect themselves and are weak compared to humans

Now what stops people from eating other human beings? Why not consider mentally retarded human beings as food? There may be a way to cut the earth's population if millions are caught and turned into food.

A christian told me that eating human is wrong because humans have souls and that animals do not. I said animals have emotions and feelings. Who are we to say they have no souls.

If soul argument is not fine then is there another reason why non-veg eaters do not support killing other human beings for food.

Humans cannot be considered as food for human beings. Then why should animals be considered food.

I never understood what justification people have to draw the line in terms of what is food and what is not.

Animals are like humans because animals are used for drug testing and the drug is being designed for humans. So they are like humans and yet no one feels anything wrong to say animals are food items.

Anyone has any insight why people draw lines when it comes to eating human meat?

We Don’t Have Carnivorous Teeth

Humans have short, soft fingernails and small, dull canine teeth. All true carnivores have sharp claws and large canine teeth that are capable of tearing flesh without the help of knives and forks.

Real carnivores’ jaws move only up and down, enabling them to tear chunks of flesh from their prey. Humans can move their jaws up and down and from side to side, and we also have flat molars (which carnivores lack), allowing us to grind up fruit and vegetables with our back teeth like herbivores do.

Dr. Richard Leakey, a renowned anthropologist, says, “You can’t tear flesh by hand, you can’t tear hide by hand. Our anterior teeth are not suited for tearing flesh or hide. We don’t … have large canine teeth, and we wouldn’t have been able to deal with food sources that required those large canines.”

Carnivores have short intestinal tracts that allow meat to pass quickly through their digestive system. Humans’ intestinal tracts are much longer, like those of plant-eaters. This gives the body more time to break down fiber and absorb the nutrients from plant-based foods.

T. Colin Campbell
—director of the Cornell-China-Oxford Project on Nutrition, Health, and Environment and author of The China Study—says, “In the next ten years, one of the things you’re bound to hear is that animal protein is one of the most toxic nutrients of all that can be considered.”

During most of our evolutionary history, we were largely vegetarian: Plant foods, such as yams, made up the bulk of our ancestors’ diet. The addition of modest amounts of meat to the early human diet came with the discovery of fire, which allowed us to lower the risk of being sickened or killed by parasites and bacteria in meat. This didn’t turn our ancestors into carnivores but rather allowed early humans to survive in areas and during periods in which plant foods were unavailable or scarce.

Numerous studies have shown that meat is not ideal for the human body and may actually be making us sick and killing us. The human body is intended to function on plant-based foods that are full of fiber, antioxidants, unsaturated fat, essential fatty acids, phytochemicals, and cholesterol-free protein.

https://www.peta.org/features/are-humans-supposed-to-eat-meat/

Last edited:
“Ham is made from pig bum, isn’t it Mummy?“ This was the question I was confronted with during a recent trip to the local zoo with my young daughter. She had taken a break from feeding Alice, the zoo’s resident pig, to inhale her own lunch (a ham sandwich) when suddenly she made the connection: "I like Alice. She’s my friend!”

This moment of realisation didn’t seem to present a problem for a precocious four year old. But, for many adults, the connection between the meat on our plate and a living, feeling animal is more problematic. This is evident in the increasing number of vegetarians which ranges from as little as 2% of the population in some developed countries to over 30% in India. The rest of us, those who would rather eat cardboard than tofu, arm ourselves with a variety of psychological techniques to overcome the moral dilemma of being responsible for the suffering and death of another living creature.

This dilemma is often called the “meat paradox”. The term refers to the mental conflict between our moral belief that it is wrong to inflict suffering or death on sentient beings and our desire to enjoy a guilt-free sausage sandwich. This kind of psychological brain squabble is referred to as “cognitive dissonance”.

https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/why-don-t-we-feel-more-guilty-about-eating-animals/

Then Dr. Sivaraman should know that there is a higher risk of colon cancer (and a number of other chronic illness) in that 99% of the Nobel laureates who eat red meat than those who are in the minority.

A quick google search reveals,

Feynman - Liposarcoma (I knew this one)
Frances Arnold - Breast cancer - fortunately, she is still alive
Ralph Steinman - Pancreatic - awarded for cancer research
Peyton Rous - Cancer - awarded for cancer research
James Sumner - Cancer
Willy Brandt - Cancer

This is just an indicative list not an exhaustive list.

Latest ads

Back