• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Proper cleansing ritual before meditating to Lord Narayana

Namaskarm to my fellow Hindus, I am Pragasen Chetty (Preggie ) from Durban, South Africa. I would really appreciate it if someone could please assist me with the above mentioned issue. I am aware that when some people meditate, they touch different parts of their bodies while saying a mantra/prayer. I was informed by a Guru in my country that when meditating to Lord Shiva, we should touch our ears, eyes, mouth, heart , etc. And say: "Aum Kili Nama Shiva, Shiva Shivaya Namah". Not sure if that is correct. But being a devotee of Lord Narayana and Lord Hanuman, what should one say and do before meditating? Please help.

Can someone please assistenter with the above request? There are so many learned people on this site everyday, it's hard to believe that nobody can assist me. Please.

Hey everyone...can anyone help Pragesan out here.
Resident Vaishanavas please give information.

Dear Pragesan..lets wait for a response.

Namaskarm to my fellow Hindus, I am Pragasen Chetty (Preggie ) from Durban, South Africa. I would really appreciate it if someone could please assist me with the above mentioned issue. I am aware that when some people meditate, they touch different parts of their bodies while saying a mantra/prayer. I was informed by a Guru in my country that when meditating to Lord Shiva, we should touch our ears, eyes, mouth, heart , etc. And say: "Aum Kili Nama Shiva, Shiva Shivaya Namah". Not sure if that is correct. But being a devotee of Lord Narayana and Lord Hanuman, what should one say and do before meditating? Please help.
The body is assumed to be the place GOD lives – body is the temple. Thus, saying Govinda and touching the left ear lobe with the thumb and move through rest of the body is to remind us that we need to be pure in our thought as Atma- Part of Paramathma lives in it. Also, when you touch each parts through Vegas nerve, according to Yoga, it kindles subtle electric ions and such points are called Acupuncture points. Our ancestors, very cleverly integrated such knowledge, in the religion when the population was short, they did not pursue a profession like today and so on. So, not knowing any of these rituals is not a problem. Rather, you take a shower to freshen your body and kindle the vegas nerve- from neck through pelvis, then wear a clean cloth (when possible), sit calmly, close your eyes and try to get into deep mediation where the only though is GOD – Narayna. So chanting any monosyllable OM, A, HE or one repeatedly and concentrating on the one syllable for a period of time will make your other faculties receiving sensory input – light through eyes, sounds through ear, heat and cold by the skin will be slowly, after along time will be masked and you will see Narayana's image in your inner mind. That is deep minded prayer. It takes time and faith. The result is a peace of mind and accept every thing happens for a reason and move on.

If you can do this both in the morning and before bed, and thank all those who helped you – teachers, friends, relatives, strangers- you will feel a peace of mind. When you can see the image of Narayana in your mind, you have achieved deep medidation! So being far away from India is not any sin, as most of us are away from Ganges yet feel Hindus!

Dear Sri Pragasen Chetty

Please let me try to help you in your efforts to find the "proper cleansing ritual before meditating on Bhagavaan Lord Naaraayana", one of our Thri-Moorthies.

Hindus normally take a whole-body bath or shower (including washing hair on head) first, then change into underwear (or loin-cloth called kaupeenam), wear a wrap-around piece of cloth round the waist reaching down to the ankles, and tie/knot a cummerbund or belt-like piece of smaller second cloth around the waist. You can be bare-bodied (preferred), or wear a singlet or t-shirt if more comfortable.

Next, place a small mark in the centre of your forehead with sandalwood paste and/or reddened turmeric powder. Use sacred ash if you do not have sandalwood paste or reddened turmeric powder.

Find a quiet, clean spot, preferably not too dark or lit blazingly bright, away from distractions, and sit comfortably on the ground on a small mat, a small piece of carpet, or a slightly-raised plank.

If you know and can assume the lotus posture, so much the better. If not, just relax. If you can only sit relaxed on a chair or stool or swing, do so. Do not sit on a pillow, a cushion, a mattress, or a bed. Sit preferably facing east or north. Never face south (that direction is for honouring spirits of dead ancestors).

Now, let me take you through the motions of the aachamaneeyam, which is the preliminary requisite part of the worship of Lord Naaraayana (as well of Lord Shiva and of all other Hindu gods and goddesses).

(1) Close your right hand into a fist, stick out your right-hand thumb, touch your right cheek with the tip of your right thumb. Say "KESAVA".

(2) Touch your left cheek with the tip of your extended right thumb. Say "NAARAAYANA".

(3) Touch the closed eyelid of your right eye with the tip of your right-hand ring finger (next to your little finger). Say "MAADHAVA".

(4) Touch the closed eyelid of your left eye with the tip of your right-hand ring finger (next to your little finger). Say "GOVINDA".

(5) Touch the upper part of your right nostril with your right index finger. Say "VISHNU".

(6) Touch the upper part of your left nostril with your right index finger. Say "MADHU-SOODHANA".

(7) Touch your right ear with your right little finger. Say "TRI-VIKRAMA".

(8) Touch your left ear with your right little finger. Say "VAAMANA".

(9) Touch your right shoulder with your right middle finger. Say "SREEDHARA".

(10) Touch your left shoulder with your right middle finger. Say "HRISHI-KESHA".

(11) Touch your navel with all fingers of your right-hand closed like a lotus bud.
Say "PADMA-NAABHA".

(12) Touch your the top of your head with all fingers of your right-hand closed like a lotus bud. Say "DAAMO-DARA".

That completes the aachamaneeyam.

Now for the japam and meditation.

Practise saying quietly the nine-syllable manthram (ashtaakshara mahaa manthram):-

"OM NAMO NAARAAYA-NAAYA"

Either close your eyes, or have a little lit oil lamp with a small steady flame in front of you to aid you in concentration. Or have a small picture of Mahaa-Vishnu in the form of Guruvaayoor-appan or of Lord Krishna to help you focus. If not, it doesn't matter. Just close your eyes and repeat the manthram slowly and wuietly as many times as you can -- 18, 27, 36, 54, 108.

When done, rise and make a prostration before the lit lamp or sacred picture. Or, if that is too difficult, just clasp your joined palms together, bow your head. Snuff out the flame of the lamp with a flower.

May Lord Sree Naaraayana bless you and protect you.

Dear Sri Pragasem Chetty

Om namo sharavana bhava is navaakshara manthram of Lord Subrahmania - 9 syllables.

Should you find the aachamaneeya-ashtaakshara maha manthra pathway which I earlier recommended too difficult, there is a much simpler and shorter path:-

Change your clothes and wear a set of newly-washed ones.

Wash your feet, hands and face. Or wipe them with a wet cloth. Comb, or tidy your hair.

Put on your forehead mark/s.

Sit in a quiet place where you willl be alone and will not be disturbed or distracted.

Think of, and imagine in your heart, Lord Naaraayana as Sree Raama, or Sree Krishna, or Sree Vitala of Pandaripuram, or Sree Venkatesvara of Thirupathi, or just a single-flame within your own heart. (Your own name "Pragasem" suggests to me the Sanskrit word "prakaasham" which means brightness, effulgence, illumination.)

Chant "raama-raama-raama" or "naaraayana-naaraayana" or "krishna-krishna-krishna" in silence within your own heart as often as you can.

May Lord Mahaa-Vishnu grant you shaanthi.

#1 seems old posting ie2018 we are responding now,
will he be still interested to have chit chat in this topic?
Better if there is some response from Sri Pragasem Chettyji.

Latest ads

Back