Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Parallel cousin marriage

0 Not allowed!
    I am a Tamil Brahmin 27yrs old man, in a relationship with my parallel cousin (my mother's sister's daughter). We both wish to get married. Please share your insights about parallel cousin marriage and guide us.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yogaforlife View Post
    I am a Tamil Brahmin 27yrs old man, in a relationship with my parallel cousin (my mother's sister's daughter). We both wish to get married. Please share your insights about parallel cousin marriage and guide us.
    Is she not your cousin sister? Is marrying cousin sister permitted in Hinduism?
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    I came across the following observations in a web page and thought I will just share this new knowledge (to me) with our members:

Svayambhuva-Manu married Shatarupa, who bore him three daughters by name Akuti, Devahuti and Prasuti. Of these Akuti was given in marriage to the Prajapati Ruchi who had through her a son and a daughter. The son was no other than Hari known by the title 'Yajusham-pati' i.e. lord of the Yajus (mantras) (Bhag. 4-1-6) and the daughter was called Dakshina. Hari as 'lord of the Yajus' was called Yaj˝adeva whose consort was Dakshini. She was believed to be an amsa (aspect) of Bhuti i.e. Lakshmi. The brother and sister were married as husband and wife. To these were born twelve sons who were collectively called Yama-Devas. Their names were Tosha, Pratosha, Samtosha, Bhadra, Shanti, Idaspati, Idhma, Kavi, Vibhu, Vahni, Sudeva and Rochana....

Marriage of paternal cousins, now condemned, is not unknown to Hindu tradition. Marichi and Daksha were brothers and Kasyapa, the son of the former, married Aditi and other daughters of the latter. These instances seem to bring the early Hindu marriage system into a line with the Egyptian system and suggest that the present Muhammadan custom of marrying paternal cousin sisters was not unknown to the ancient Hindus as to the Egyptians. Aegyptus, the son of Belus, gave his fifty sons in marriage to the fifty daughters of his brother Danaus

Reference: A post in tamilbrahmins page
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHANDRU1849 View Post
    Is she not your cousin sister? Is marrying cousin sister permitted in Hinduism?

Chandruji,
    Among Tamilian and Telegu community marrying Mama or Athan is common. Marrying Mama or Athan 's children is even more common. They are cousins too.

I grew up in the north, and it used to be common to tease South Indians for that. Because in North India they do not differentiate between brothers and cousins.

Hinduism permits or does not prohibits any cousin marriages.

Marriage between close family members is discouraged for health reasons and the Indian Constitution.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    That marriages between blood relations might lead to health issues for the child has been suspected for several years. Now, a detailed analysis of the issue involving over 11,000 children, born out of consanguineous marriages, revealed congenital anomalies in 386 of them. This figure of 3 per cent contrasts with the 1.6 per cent in children born of out of non-blood-relations unions. Dr Eamonn Sheridan and associates from leads, U.K. analysed these babies termed “Born in Bradford” to obtain these results. Bradford is a small area in the UK where Pakistani Muslims constitute 16.8 per cent of the population. A close knit group, they practice consanguinity; 75 per cent of them marry first cousins.

We in South India too have communities that practise consanguineous marriages. Gotram (ancestral lineage) is taken seriously and marriage does not occur, generally, between a man and a woman of the same gotram. Thus a brother does not marry his own sister. But he can (if even used to be “should”) namely, first cousin. Using the same logic, an uncle-niece marriage is allowed and practised too. Recall what a daughter-in-law refers to her mother-in-law as in Tamil ( Mamiyar, wife of my mother’s brother).

https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/health/the-biology-of-first-cousin-marriages/article4902050.ece
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    The question in the OP has to be discussed with family members; not in a forum!!

Even if forum members support this marriage, will family agree?
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    You mean to say, Hinduism supports cousin marriage? Does that include parallel cousin too?
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    We too have read about these health issues when two people of close relation get married. Thank you for sharing it. We would like to first get clarified if this is legal in Hinduism. Kindly share your knowledge about it.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    To take the initiative of convincing our family members, we ourselves want to know the consequences first about this relationship. Please share your insight if this is legal and valid in our Brahmin community.
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    TB and most Indians will not accept the marriage is legitimate. Best is to find someone else to date and forget your cousin sister. Think of her welfare and do the best for her. If you love her, let her have a legitimate marriage
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast