• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Parallel cousin marriage

I am a Tamil Brahmin 27yrs old man, in a relationship with my parallel cousin (my mother's sister's daughter). We both wish to get married. Please share your insights about parallel cousin marriage and guide us.

Is she not your cousin sister? Is marrying cousin sister permitted in Hinduism?

I came across the following observations in a web page and thought I will just share this new knowledge (to me) with our members:

Svayambhuva-Manu married Shatarupa, who bore him three daughters by name Akuti, Devahuti and Prasuti. Of these Akuti was given in marriage to the Prajapati Ruchi who had through her a son and a daughter. The son was no other than Hari known by the title 'Yajusham-pati' i.e. lord of the Yajus (mantras) (Bhag. 4-1-6) and the daughter was called Dakshina. Hari as 'lord of the Yajus' was called Yajñadeva whose consort was Dakshini. She was believed to be an amsa (aspect) of Bhuti i.e. Lakshmi. The brother and sister were married as husband and wife. To these were born twelve sons who were collectively called Yama-Devas. Their names were Tosha, Pratosha, Samtosha, Bhadra, Shanti, Idaspati, Idhma, Kavi, Vibhu, Vahni, Sudeva and Rochana....

Marriage of paternal cousins, now condemned, is not unknown to Hindu tradition. Marichi and Daksha were brothers and Kasyapa, the son of the former, married Aditi and other daughters of the latter. These instances seem to bring the early Hindu marriage system into a line with the Egyptian system and suggest that the present Muhammadan custom of marrying paternal cousin sisters was not unknown to the ancient Hindus as to the Egyptians. Aegyptus, the son of Belus, gave his fifty sons in marriage to the fifty daughters of his brother Danaus

Reference: A post in tamilbrahmins page

Is she not your cousin sister? Is marrying cousin sister permitted in Hinduism?

Chandruji,
Among Tamilian and Telegu community marrying Mama or Athan is common. Marrying Mama or Athan 's children is even more common. They are cousins too.

I grew up in the north, and it used to be common to tease South Indians for that. Because in North India they do not differentiate between brothers and cousins.

Hinduism permits or does not prohibits any cousin marriages.

Marriage between close family members is discouraged for health reasons and the Indian Constitution.

That marriages between blood relations might lead to health issues for the child has been suspected for several years. Now, a detailed analysis of the issue involving over 11,000 children, born out of consanguineous marriages, revealed congenital anomalies in 386 of them. This figure of 3 per cent contrasts with the 1.6 per cent in children born of out of non-blood-relations unions. Dr Eamonn Sheridan and associates from leads, U.K. analysed these babies termed “Born in Bradford” to obtain these results. Bradford is a small area in the UK where Pakistani Muslims constitute 16.8 per cent of the population. A close knit group, they practice consanguinity; 75 per cent of them marry first cousins.

We in South India too have communities that practise consanguineous marriages. Gotram (ancestral lineage) is taken seriously and marriage does not occur, generally, between a man and a woman of the same gotram. Thus a brother does not marry his own sister. But he can (if even used to be “should”) namely, first cousin. Using the same logic, an uncle-niece marriage is allowed and practised too. Recall what a daughter-in-law refers to her mother-in-law as in Tamil ( Mamiyar, wife of my mother’s brother).

https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/health/the-biology-of-first-cousin-marriages/article4902050.ece

The question in the OP has to be discussed with family members; not in a forum!!

Even if forum members support this marriage, will family agree?

We too have read about these health issues when two people of close relation get married. Thank you for sharing it. We would like to first get clarified if this is legal in Hinduism. Kindly share your knowledge about it.

To take the initiative of convincing our family members, we ourselves want to know the consequences first about this relationship. Please share your insight if this is legal and valid in our Brahmin community.

TB and most Indians will not accept the marriage is legitimate. Best is to find someone else to date and forget your cousin sister. Think of her welfare and do the best for her. If you love her, let her have a legitimate marriage

We are under same confusion too. But we are unable to give up this relationship either. If we know the proper legal impacts, we can come to a conclusion. Kindly guide us on the legal aspect.

Chandruji,
Among Tamilian and Telegu community marrying Mama or Athan is common. Marrying Mama or Athan 's children is even more common. They are cousins too.

I grew up in the north, and it used to be common to tease South Indians for that. Because in North India they do not differentiate between brothers and cousins.

Hinduism permits or does not prohibits any cousin marriages.

Marriage between close family members is discouraged for health reasons and the Indian Constitution.

Prasadji

Medical Science advises avoiding marriages among close relatives.

Do Tamil Iyers marry Chithi's son or daughter?

Prasadji

Do Tamil Iyers marry Chithi's son or daughter?

NO.
But they accept Mama or Mama's son, similarly, they accept Athai's son. That too is close cousins.

Why is it so difficult to accept facts of our society, particularly when it is wrong on multiple counts.

Last edited:
Cross cousin marriages are common among Tamils/South Indians and Tamil Brahmins.

mahabharatam famously documents the marriages of Krishna, Arjuna' Abhimanyu, etc..all have cross cousin marriages. Also documented in our Puranas. So it is not prohibited,

key is both of them should have different gotrams.

Or it can be son and daughter of 2 brothers in which case the gotram will be the same.

I mean, Cross cousin generally refers to son and daughter between brothers and sisters

Not that it has not happened. If one of them give Dattu of their progeny to another gotram relative they can marry.

you just need to find ambitious ambis who can manage this confusion. Lol

This discussion is not going anywhere fast.
Going back to the OP.

It is not a good idea to marry any close relatives. It will adversely affect the children born of such relations.

Your immediate family would not like it as society looks down on it.

So if I were to be in your shoes, i would not do it.

May better judgement prevail.

hi

there are two options here....either one has to take dattu and different gothrams.....or get married if real LOVVU....last option...

marry according to parent's wish and ready for separation...

Normally that girl become sister for you, Because she is your mother immediate sister daughter, As per our hindhu norms, she is your daughter. even she is from different gothra but she is very close to your family circle.

Normally that girl become sister for you, Because she is your mother immediate sister daughter, As per our hindhu norms, she is your daughter. even she is from different gothra but she is very close to your family circle.

Would you also criticize the "cross-cousin" marriage? As far as genetic makeup goes the same thing applies to all cousin. While you are at it also search through our archives about the Gothra discussions.

If you are an Arab then there is no problems cos they marry any cousin..cross cousins..parallel cousins ..cross eyed cousins..cousins 1st removed..2nd removed etc..name it they marry!

But since you are TB..you might have issues.

I knew a case like your in a NB family here..hell broke lose..the girl was forced to marry another but the guy could not accept it..on the wedding day of the girl..he kidnapped the iyer priest ..beat him up and left him far away on the road but the dedicated iyer priest managed to flag down a police car to get to the wedding though late and he conducted the wedding
though he was injured.

Latest ads

Back