• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

civilization evolution or disregarding dharma

Welcome to the forum.

What is Dharma?
What is your Dharma?
What is man's Dharma?
What is women's Dharma?
What is lost?
What will be extinct?

You must think about each of these questions, before jumping to a conclusion.
In the end, you might be right, or you may change your opinion.

The way the youth's are going especially in our community , i feel our community will be extinct in some years time. No body has any respect for it, typically having western influence in them. How can we change it. As a youth, i feel really bad about it. Women are becoming more greedy, men are giving up on their nithyakarma, where are we proceeding too.

Ours is not organized one. Even organized religion Christianity is finding it tough to cope with science and has to compromise so much.

Despite scientific development, Islam is able to maintain its ideology to a large extent since punishment is very severe for erring people.

Ours is not organized one. Even organized religion Christianity is finding it tough to cope with science and has to compromise so much.

Despite scientific development, Islam is able to maintain its ideology to a large extent since punishment is very severe for erring people.

Because we Hindus have too many schools of thoughts...too many sects and subsects..too many Gurujis...too many Avatars..too many devatas/devis and totally finally no direction.

It's a fact we have to face it.

Because we Hindus have too many schools of thoughts...too many sects and subsects..too many Gurujis...too many Avatars..too many devatas/devis and totally finally no direction.

It's a fact we have to face it.

It isn’t so. Despite several Gods, the ultimate truth/destination is one, which is not properly discussed and explained.

Further, Hindus, like Christians, are flexible and amenable to situations, and Science has some respect.

It isn’t so. Despite several Gods, the ultimate truth/destination is one, which is not properly discussed and explained.

Further, Hindus, like Christians, are flexible and amenable to situations, and Science has some respect.

If I describe something as having long ears..furry..carries loads and brays Hee Haw..it can only be one thing.

There are no multiple perceptions and forms of it.
Its understood right away and should cause a confusion.

Let us get back to this thread.:focus:

For Hindus, dharma is the moral order of the universe and a code of living that embodies the fundamental principles of law, religion, and duty that governs all reality. The Hindu worldview asserts that is one by following one's dharma, a person can eventually achieve liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth (samsara). In the traditional Hindu view, a person’s duties are dependent upon his or her age, gender, occupation, and caste; dharma is construed at least in part in terms of prescribed rituals and caste obligations. Hindu reformers have interpreted dharma in multiple ways. For example, Mohandas Gandhi argued that dharma should be understood in more spiritual terms. He reinterpreted the role of dharma in Hindu society by highlighting its moral precepts and portrayed it as a dimension of human freedom.

The persistence of dharma in Indian society encourages spiritual practice and right conduct, but has also supported the persistence of the caste system. Even though the caste system was abolished when India gained her independence from the British, it is still socially pervasive. Modern Hindu reformers argue that regardless of its connection to dharmic rules expressed in ancient texts, the caste system is incompatible with democracy.

https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/essays/dharma-hinduism

Last edited:
Hinduism describes dharma as the natural universal laws whose observance enables humans to be contented and happy and to save himself from degradation and suffering. Dharma is the moral law combined with spiritual discipline that guides one's life. Hindus consider dharma the very foundation of life. It means "that which holds" the people of this world and the whole creation. Dharma is the "law of being" without which things cannot exist.

Dharma refers to the religious ethics as propounded by Hindu gurus in ancient Indian scriptures.
Tulsidas, author of Ramcharitmanas, has defined the root of dharma as compassion. This principle was taken up by Lord Buddha in his immortal book of great wisdom, Dhammapada. The Atharva Veda describes dharma symbolically: Prithivim dharmana dhritam, that is, "this world is upheld by dharma". In the epic poem Mahabharata, the Pandavas represent dharma in life and the Kauravas represent adharma.

Anything that helps a human being to reach god is dharma and anything that hinders a human being from reaching god is adharma. According to the
Bhagavat Purana, righteous living or life on a dharmic path has four aspects: austerity (tap), purity (shauch), compassion (daya) and truthfulness (satya); and adharmic or unrighteous life has three vices: pride (ahankar), contact (sangh), and intoxication (madya). The essence of dharma lies in possessing a certain ability, power, and spiritual strength. The strength of being dharmic also lies in the unique combination of spiritual brilliance and physical prowess.

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-dharma-1770048

Adharma or unlawful actions means actions that are performed with selfish intent to enjoy the fruit of such action. Adharma also means actions that are considered evil or unlawful by religious scriptures, or against the established code of conduct and religious traditions prescribed by the law books or religious scriptures. While selfish actions lead to rebirth, evil and sinful actions lead to one's downfall into lower hells. Svadharma is the duty that arises from your birth, profession, gender or caste affiliation. In a sense it also means your religion or faith. Jayaram V

The duties prescribed in the scriptures of Hinduism are obligatory. It means you cannot avoid them. It is something like a rent you pay to live in the world of God, who is the true owner and indweller of all creation. To stay in this world, you have two option. Either you pay the rent in the form of karma or you offer all your actions to Him and take no credit for them. The first approach binds you and keeps you chained to the cycle of births and deaths. The second option, which is prescribed in several Upanishads and the Bhagavadgita is the best way to keep away from the burning fires of existential suffering. Jayaram V

https://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/dharma.asp

Last edited:
Hi Srinivasan,
we are in the middle of a massive change and it is disconcerting to see youngsters adopting the western ways and abandoning the Tamil cultural values,

One way you can influence this is by spreading our traditions and talking about it in our limited circles and blogging on the Internet.

I recently send a video of the Tamil Parai traditional song and dance to many of the Indian youngsters and told them you will the origins of the Scottish dance here. They were all shocked and started learning it, lol.

so try and influence as much as you can. And the traditions will catch on !!!

https://youtu.be/H29nKorPL_g

All of us have to start talking about our traditions and spreading them to as many people as we can. Send them such interesting videos instead of sending long writeups.

Send them hem some real classic Carnatic music songs, etc..

Youtube be is flooded with millions of videos from Tamil Nadu chennai on the many cultural events in every apartment ... So check a few and send them to these youngsters,...many many such beautiful cultural programs and sings by our Tamilians.

Tamil sangam in Mussoorie. USA.

https://youtu.be/GzinFCWdXk8

Vikku Vinayakam at an afghan church,

https://youtu.be/DYEh5uXrL4w

i see this problem more of the tambram kids particularly outside of Tamil Nadu and south india in general. They have embraced western culture a lot.

tamils in general have retained their culture in USA and are deeply rooted in Tamil Nadu.

so the key to resolve this is to spread our culture and traditions as much as possible to the youngsters..

Once the kids are introduced to our Tamil culture, I have seen them progressing to Carnatic and also to Sanskrit mantras, our philosophy etc..over time,

Carnatic fusion dance for shape of you sing, I wish the youngsters had chosen a different song, but nevertheless good attempt.

https://youtu.be/gbWYS6sULx0

pl send such interesting modern adaptation of the bartanatyam dance, today's youngsters will get slowly hooked to our traditions and culture !!

one good thing I am seeing is that a lot of South Indians are majorly involved in school, colleges and local apartment and groups cultural activities.

so I am seeing a resurgence in our culture. Those aboard should get involved in our Tamil sangam and other such Indian associations to keep our culture well into the next generations,

Superb Carnatic baratanatyam fusion, nothing can beat Tamil dancers and their adaption.

As as I said, I wish the youngsters had taken a different English song for this.

2 Tamil girls in Singapore and this video went viral across south east. This was the one I was trying to locate in the first place but could not,

https://youtu.be/GrPnhq-rZ1I

I think I have flooded the thread with a lot of videos !!!

in short my suggestion is introduce the kids to the latest adaptations of the Tamil, carnatic fusion songs and dances, these will interest the youngsters today who are predominantly living in a westernised world. Tamil and South Indian associations are majorly pushing our culture across south india and a lot in USA and UK., so all we need to do is introduce the kids to these associations.

And once they get hooked to this, they will learn more and more of our traditions, I have seen quite a few Indian Americans born in the USA who have taken to our traditions and culture.

Latest ads

Back