• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Badhaai Ho movie review - Hindi

prasad1

I generally do not see movies.

But I watched this movie.
It is a low budget comedy.

Marriage and procreation. Very good.

The sex that is a required pit-stop? Very bad.

The ridiculous extent of Indian hypocrisy around sex, especially middle-aged or, worse, elderly sex, is laid bare in Badhaai Ho, which has to have one of the most unique propositions in Indian cinema: how do you deal with the imminent, wholly unexpected arrival of a ‘nanha mehmaan’, when you have two grown up sons—one in his mid-20s who is about to pop the question to his girl-friend, and the other stepping into testosterone-ruled teenage years—and an old cantankerous mother/ma-in-law?

The couple in question, Jeetendra and Priyamvada Kaushik (Rao and Gupta), do a good job of channeling the bewilderment mixed with joy when they learn that Priyam is pregnant. The boys and their grandmum (Sikri) are aghast. Mummy and Papa, in bed, doing, you know, that? Ugghhh.

Badhaai Ho is fashioned as a comedy of manners, as it goes about showing us nosey neighbors and nasty relatives and garish weddings in the very middle-class society that the Kaushiks inhabit. And as long as the film is in the hands of the veterans, with Gupta coming up with a pitch-perfect performance as a loving wife, mother, dutiful daughter-in-law, while also being her own person, and Rao keeping in step with her, it works. We gasp just as they do when they hear the ‘good news’, we smile when we see the tender sizzle between the two: just for the fact of showing that parents can have sexual feelings for each other, Badhaai Ho needs to be congratulated.

It reminded me of the hypocrisy of "cultural police" in this site.

Last edited:
No need to fire!! :lol:

This has happened recently.

A.childless couple in fifties were advised by the seniors in their

family to have a child, to inherit the huge property in crores!

Lady chose the 'test tube baby' method and delivered twins - a boy and a girl!

Seniors are elated and babies are growing in granny's house - two full-time nurses are helping!

This event might enter the Guinness book! :thumb:

About 50-60 years back, it was common for mother and daughter/daughter in law pregnant at the same time and both delivering children.It was more because girls married

young and were productive.For to days generation this is a novelty.I saw no humour in it

Latest ads

Back