• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cooking Tips - Help Needed

mkrishna100

For the last few months I have been doing self cooking following youtube videos and happy that many youtube videos are making cooking look much easier and simple . However there are many micro details which are missing in them . Some may look even silly for a novice like me and so I will post the questions here and would like other cooking experts here to share their opinions .
I have first started to cook North Indian Veg dishes especially their dals and gravies and so the questions will be on it mostly before I start talking about south indian dishes .

Question - 1
In all gravies we add GARAM MASALA for taste . Now my question is when must garama masala be added
i) Along with the regular masalas ( like coriander , turmeric etc )
ii) When the dish is fully cooked and just add it to top
iii) somewhere in between

Hoping for answers ( this question is specific to making dishes like Dal Fry , Rajma , Chole and other North Indian Veg side dishes )
I am asking this question because there is no consensus on when Garam Masala must be added and each person is giving a different version .

Last edited:
[FONT=q_serif]Ground garam masala powder is typically added at the end of the cooking process to preserve the aroma and taste of the warm spices, giving your dish a lift of flavor before serving. Since many Indian sauces are long-simmering, adding garam masala powder at the beginning would mute the flavors of the spaces[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]
Instead, use the whole spices of garam masala at the beginning (e.g. cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves, and bay leaves) and save the powder for the end.
[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]
You can of course use garam masala powder at any point in the cooking process, but adding a sprinkle at the end of the recipe will heighten the flavors of the dish to new levels. While many of us don’t think of garam masala as a “finishing spice,” in traditional Indian cooking, it is!

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-garam-masala-added-at-the-end-of-some-recipes[/FONT]

Dear Krishna,

Garam masala powder will make the colour of the dish a bit dark!

I use cinnamon sticks and cloves, without grinding and hence

add them while the frying is done.

It will be easy to remove the sticks before serving! :cool:

Is it not a sacrilege to cook North Indian food in Tamil Brahmin's home? :nono::brushteeth:

I grew up in North but very much Tanjaoorian (or what my mother used to cook) in food preference.

In my travels, Everywhere we go I look for South Indian Vegetarian food, then any vegetarian Indian food, if all else fails then Subway or pizza.

I have been to so-called south Indian restaurants and regretted the choice, and come home to eat thayr shadam with VaduMangai.

Last edited:
Raji Mam

Thanks for your reply and accept the fact about avoiding Garam Masala Powder as it brings about a change in color but regarding whole spices you have mentioned only Cinnamon sticks and cloves . What about other whole spices like Cardamon , Pepper ,Nutmeg , coriander seeds and other whole spices which constitute Garam Masala Powder ?

Dear Krishna,

I use only mild masālā in the dishes I prepare.

So, my thaneeee vazhi is this:

Add some sāmbar powder ( I like Shakti masālā) and cinnamon sticks.

Bit of Cardamom and nutmeg powder added after cooking is finished. :)

Black Pepper is good for heath but spoils the color of the dish! :(

For the last few months I have been doing self cooking following youtube videos and happy that many youtube videos are making cooking look much easier and simple . However there are many micro details which are missing in them . Some may look even silly for a novice like me and so I will post the questions here and would like other cooking experts here to share their opinions .
I have first started to cook North Indian Veg dishes especially their dals and gravies and so the questions will be on it mostly before I start talking about south indian dishes .

Question - 1
In all gravies we add GARAM MASALA for taste . Now my question is when must garama masala be added
i) Along with the regular masalas ( like coriander , turmeric etc )
ii) When the dish is fully cooked and just add it to top
iii) somewhere in between

Hoping for answers ( this question is specific to making dishes like Dal Fry , Rajma , Chole and other North Indian Veg side dishes )
I am asking this question because there is no consensus on when Garam Masala must be added and each person is giving a different version .
Garam masala needs to loose its raw flavour. So it needs to be sauted soits added after you book onion,tomatoes etc before adding chanba etv

Latest ads

Back