• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Recommendation for Old Aged / Assisted Living Home in and around Chennai

Firstly Sending parents to the Old age home itself is a crime in my Opinion, But I cannot assume your situation & pass on the simple comments. In General I have seen men, who stuck between heart & body comfort, after marriage take more parent seriously & get rid of them. They forget how their mother taken care when they were kids having done so many mischievous things or created problems. This word parent should not be limited only to birth parents but to the parent in law also, for whom there is no any kids other than your spouse,

But This cannot be implemented in some situation, believe yours is also a special case. You can check the following, Some of them are for normal / healthy people only. Have a check before taking final decision, But do remember that the admission to the Old age home will reduce about 5 years of your patent life due to psychological impact.

http://www.anandamoldagehome.org/

http://www.ashramfoundation.org/

http://www.manithaneyaoldagehome.org/

http://www.svhomeforaged.com/

http://www.aarathy.org/res/otherhomes.

Hare Krishna

hi
i had bitter experiences of old age home near chennai for my mother....i got my balance after two years of my
mother's death recently...so i never recommend...money is the ONLY CRITERIA FOR ANY OLD AGE HOME..
NOT THE SERVICE ORIENTED...

It is the influence of the Western culture filtering into our culture. Nowadays, most of the children are overseas and earning well. Parents do not feel comfortable living in a foreign country as they have limited activities, mobility and depend on their children for everything. They do not seem to have an independent life and miss out on their normal routine - like meeting up with their friends, going to temple and other social activities. They prefer to stay on their own and hesitant to move in with their children. This is the reason for the mushroom of senior / old age homes everywhere. How many of them are service oriented and how affordable they are needs to be investigated by the person concerned. It is a heartache to think about the lonely life at the twilight years.

Dear All,
I am looking for recommendations of good old age homes in and around Chennai for my Mother who cannot walk and is wheelchair bound and requires assistance...

Requirements:
Vegetarian (Conducive for Brahmins)
Hygienic
Cost Affordable

Thanks, a lot.

-Ramki S
Dear Sri Ramki,
Pl try contacting Sri Rajagopal- trustee of old age home at Pandithamedu ( close to Mahabalipuram on OMR) managed by Sankara Matam---ph--9345307037. Perhaps this would meet your requirements.
We, from SatyaSai Seva orgn chennai visit this place every month with medical doctors & medicines to address their needs.
V Ganeshan --9962524611

To say that "Sending parents to the Old age home itself is a crime" is itself heinously criminal.

Such vilification should not be spouted till one has carefully assessed the deleterious and derelict situation in most homes today when husband and wife have both to go out from 6 am to 8 pm on most days to bring in enough to meet their own needs, let alone upbringing and educating their children. The heart-rending choice might well be - care for the chldren and their future or care for the aged and ill parent(s)?

The underlying assumption of the vilifier is apparently that all homes for the elderly are, without exception, living hells and places of abandonment. Not at all so.

For example, I have seen in Coimbatore homes for the aged with every reasonable amenity, including Brahmin-cooked vegetarian food, wheelchair and medical care, ample companionship and entertainment facilities not available (or dreamable) in private households. These might well come at a price, but not extortious or disproportionate to the benefits, short-term and long-term.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Noted only just now the "vilifier" 's departing scorpion-like sting:

do remember that the admission to the Old age home will reduce about 5 years of your patent life due to psychological impact. e
Let me assume that by the ungrammatical "your patent life" is meant "your parent's life".

The prognosticator's evil prediction should, in my view, be totally discounted and ignored. How qualified, how trained, how experienced, is the great seer, in matters of occult foretelling? On what actual, provable, recorded facts is his weird omen based?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Hi All,
Thanks for your response...
I have situated my Mother for now at Nandhini Home @ Kottivakkam...
This is more like an alternate home (home away from home at this time... So far things are okay at this point... I am staying in touch with her every day...
Will see how it goes...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Firstly Sending parents to the Old age home itself is a crime in my Opinion

No offense... But, sitting outside and passing judgments is easy!!! (Which is what most people do)... Your opinion is condescending and unempathetic and smirks of unwarranted convictions and bias .. What you are doing is so typical of most people who wouldn't understand until it happens to them...

Anyway, thanks for the list... I saw 30+ homes in and around Chennai before deciding on one...

Hi All,
This is more like an alternate home (home away from home at this time... So far things are okay at this point... I am staying in touch with her every day...
Will see how it goes...

Thanks.
hi

i kinow nandhini home....very close to my home in thiruvanmiyur...but im not happy with them... just my

personal opinion...

Hi All,
Will see how it goes...

Thanks.
Hi

Wanted to know how is the home?Any inputs.

Assisted living is breaking the taboo of old age homes in Chennai. The news item appeared indiatoday .in.
The difference is seniors can have their own space as they need
and also get nursing assistance and clinical care individually.
G.Srinivasan CEO and founder of this Athulya Assisted living in Chennai. Food is also customized and prescribed by a dietician. The facilities on an average cost between Rs.55 to 85000 for a month.

Firstly Sending parents to the Old age home itself is a crime in my Opinion, But I cannot assume your situation & pass on the simple comments. In General I have seen men, who stuck between heart & body comfort, after marriage take more parent seriously & get rid of them. They forget how their mother taken care when they were kids having done so many mischievous things or created problems. This word parent should not be limited only to birth parents but to the parent in law also, for whom there is no any kids other than your spouse,

But This cannot be implemented in some situation, believe yours is also a special case. You can check the following, Some of them are for normal / healthy people only. Have a check before taking final decision, But do remember that the admission to the Old age home will reduce about 5 years of your patent life due to psychological impact.

http://www.anandamoldagehome.org/

http://www.ashramfoundation.org/

http://www.manithaneyaoldagehome.org/

http://www.svhomeforaged.com/

http://www.aarathy.org/res/otherhomes.

Hare Krishna
We can imagine that sending parents to Carehome is like giving them Vanaprastham which they should have done on their own. A family with limited resources, the freedom the old want, etc., are too much. I told my mother to be with me and she replied thus: I was controlled by my parents when I was a child, then by teachers, then your father, then his family, then the society. I feel comfortable to get up one day at 5;30, make my coffee when the milkman comes and then go back to sleep till 7 am. Next day my routine changes. I want this freedom. So, I made her to live comfortably in my house- renovated it, made a servant maid to visit every morning and told her if there is no kolam, then my mother is dea. Call my brother. I put 10,000 in bank in our joint name with the stipulation - she can spend money on food,

Alternatively also a good idea as suggested in #17 if you let her stay in her home and enjoy
her free time, Nowdays full time nursing and care home assistance
are available for moderate charges and food can be got from
good catering and all this and freedom at cheaper price
And doctor visit can be arranged from geriatric center when
needed.

We can imagine that sending parents to Carehome is like giving them Vanaprastham which they should have done on their own. A family with limited resources, the freedom the old want, etc., are too much. I told my mother to be with me and she replied thus: I was controlled by my parents when I was a child, then by teachers, then your father, then his family, then the society. I feel comfortable to get up one day at 5;30, make my coffee when the milkman comes and then go back to sleep till 7 am. Next day my routine changes. I want this freedom. So, I made her to live comfortably in my house- renovated it, made a servant maid to visit every morning and told her if there is no kolam, then my mother is dea. Call my brother. I put 10,000 in bank in our joint name with the stipulation - she can spend money on food,
Lovely idea.

Alternatively also a good idea as suggested in #17 if you let her stay in her home and enjoy
her free time, Nowdays full time nursing and care home assistance
are available for moderate charges and food can be got from
good catering and all this and freedom at cheaper price
And doctor visit can be arranged from geriatric center when
needed.
Please elaborate on this.

Keeping elderly is noble, but the whole responsibilities areput on the shoulders of over worked daughter-in-law. She married the man and not their parents. However, if the in-laws are cooperative and help in small ways like cutting veggies, no demanding only murunkai kai sambhar and dosai etc., life will be fine. The old family vlaue of Vasudeva Kudumbakam in villages is no more valid when both partners have to work in city, take care of the children, take care of their own health etc., human society is slolwy behaving like the animals, where the old are out casted. It is not nice but where there is cooperation and understanding, it works. When prolonged medical care and services are required, nursing homes will be the way to go. There is no "adharma or sin" as those who preach are not the one who take care of these old people. Will I accept, absolutely and that is one way to get detachment from the world.
5 Rupees worth of my feelings.

Latest ads

Back