• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil Brahmins Diaspora future

Vishnampettai

Tamil Brahmins are now based all over the world they are permanently settled outside Tamil Nadu .Tamils earlier migrated to Mumbai ,Bangalore and Calcutta .Now all over the World in particular,USA ,UK ,Canada and Australia. Second and Third generation have lost contact with Tamil Nadu earlier they lost contact with the native villages after the entire families migrated from the villages.

Unlike the Gulf migrants who return to India.Today over 85 % of non GULF migrants will not return

Now children born in USA and even places like Mumbai cannot speak Tamil properly and have lost there roots to Tamil Nadu and further at least one member of the extended family has married outside the community.
With one child or 2 children the Tamil Brahmans particularly younger generation live in hotels when visiting Chennai or even India with absolutely no family to call upon.

Is Tamil culture disappearing in the diaspora

As of today what is articulated in OP seems to be factual analysis. The younger generation of Tamil Brahmin community were compelled to search for safe jobs outside their place of origin for survival. The amount of sacrifice their parents have to do for this is immeasurable.
When all the avenues for education and jobs were shut in the name of Caste reservations, what else this small community could do ?

As one belong to that generation, I am well aware of this. I and our family have passed through such difficult situation. In the year 1948 when I came out of School, there was only one College in Coimbatore, Govt. Arts College. Under the newly introduced Communal G.O., the entry of Brahmins were restricted. I have to search for entry for Intermediate in Private College in Madurai. After a few years, my brother for a Degree in Science has to go to Trichy. In spite of a rank student, he could not get a seat in the only Engineering College in Guindy, Madras, for the same reason. Now the situation is much changed. I am glad that due to opening of many private Colleges (may be due to other reasons !), children were able to study well.
Tamil Brahmins, known for honesty and hard work are welcomed well outside in Countries like Australia, Canada, Great Britain, USA and other English speaking Countries.

Brahmins are migrants for ages. We have established ourselves amicably with the populations living there, where ever we were invited. We kept our religious practices and cultural activities tuned to the changed situations.

I am sure this will continue for generations to come.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

As of today what is articulated in OP seems to be factual analysis. The younger generation of Tamil Brahmin community were compelled to search for safe jobs outside their place of origin for survival. The amount of sacrifice their parents have to do for this is immeasurable.
When all the avenues for education and jobs were shut in the name of Caste reservations, what else this small community could do ?

As one belong to that generation, I am well aware of this. I and our family have passed through such difficult situation. In the year 1948 when I came out of School, there was only one College in Coimbatore, Govt. Arts College. Under the newly introduced Communal G.O., the entry of Brahmins were restricted. I have to search for entry for Intermediate in Private College in Madurai. After a few years, my brother for a Degree in Science has to go to Trichy. In spite of a rank student, he could not get a seat in the only Engineering College in Guindy, Madras, for the same reason. Now the situation is much changed. I am glad that due to opening of many private Colleges (may be due to other reasons !), children were able to study well.
Tamil Brahmins, known for honesty and hard work are welcomed well outside in Countries like Australia, Canada, Great Britain, USA and other English speaking Countries.

Brahmins are migrants for ages. We have established ourselves amicably with the populations living there, where ever we were invited. We kept our religious practices and cultural activities tuned to the changed situations.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Very good analysis. Thanks.

Tamils Bs lack fighting spirit to stay and achieve. Bs migration has been due to strong anti Brahmin sentiments expressed by certain vested interests from early 1900 till date. Lack of cooperation is also part of it.

Even though Bs, especially Iyers showed remarkable courage during independence struggle, it vanished altogether subsequently.

Migration may be unavoidable but are Bs following customs strictly while serving abroad? It is rather doubtful. Even within India moving to other State by Tamil Bs robbed the identity once their siblings mixed with local people.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
hi

well said...like jewish....tamil brahmins are also migrated communties....so well flourished...

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

one praiseworthy attitude of tamil brahmins in particular and brahmins in general who are settled abroad is, besides adjusting and adapting to many changes, where vegetarian is not available or is hard to obtain, brahmins have broadheartedly accepted meat and are comfortable consuming meat and mingling with others.

however back home where plenty of vegetarian food is available they confine to vegetarian food excepting when partying with friends.

this is a welcome change, especially with tamilbrahmin youngsters born in the mid-eighties and later.

Todays' condition and forthcoming years' scenario of Brahmins and in particular that of Tamil Brahmins is all made/created by themselves. None other to blame. It is exemplary example of Elephant putting dirt on its own head. The Tamil brahmins can never unite, never co-operate and adjust and help and console other community members. They are the first ones to laugh at others' plight. In total Unity and community is absent and it will never come to them. They have no brains or rotten brain from the time of independance. The tamil brahmins are destined to perish, including me very soon.

'asadu' Ji's post has made my day! Had a hearty laugh! :D

There is a saying in Tamil: "mātram ondrē māRādhadhu".

All societies have to change with the times and have changed a lot!

Likewise, TB community has changed a lot according to modern times.

But, many who have migrated, DO follow our traditions on special days.

These are my observations during my visits to the U S of A:

Many kids learn our traditional arts - Carnatic music, bharatha nātyam and yoga. :thumb:

Bala Vihar enhances the overall development of the personality of children at all levels

— physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual.

TBs mingle very well with other Indian communities during Hindu festivals. :grouphug:

TB kids happily go around asking 'Trick or Treat" with American kids, on Halloween!

Inter-cast and inter-religion marriages happen more in TB community and there exist

quite a few American guys, who enjoy "thachchi mammam", in their in-law's sweet home! :hungry:

BTW, without brain or with rotten brain, how can our youngsters shine well in academics? :noidea:

'

Inter-cast and inter-religion marriages happen more in TB community and there exist

quite a few American guys, who enjoy "thachchi mammam", in their in-law's sweet home! :hungry:

BTW, without brain or with rotten brain, how can our youngsters shine well in academics? :noidea:

If inter religious marriages are more from our side, at some point of time, the demography of our community will totally change, if the boy or girl follows the spouse religion. Unless it is clearly known the outcome of marriage, there is nothing to cheer about.

sometimes we keep protecting, that is worthless.
It is like protecting pre demonetisation Rs 1000 note. It had its value at one time but it is worthless now.
So change is inevitable, we have to adapt and accept reality.

sometimes we keep protecting, that is worthless.
It is like protecting pre demonetisation Rs 1000 note. It had its value at one time but it is worthless now.
So change is inevitable, we have to adapt and accept reality.

Very well said Mr Prasad.
Change is constant and an inevitable natural order. Tamil Brahmin community has readily accepted always and progressed well inspite of difficulties it has to face in the process.
I salute our generations both older and younger for this.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Tamil Brahmins should stop sitting on high horse and stop adopting a holier than thou attitude. They should stop their isolation

from other castes and communities. We are like all other castes ,communities. All are human beings. If we freely inter mix

with

others wherever we are, we will get better accepted by others.We have compromised on food habits , stopped being totally

vegetarian,Some have thrown away their threads .Our youngsters freely smoke and drink .How many observe rituals these

days or go to temples? So one can wake up and stop feeling self pity. We can enjoy what life has to offer.World is a

wonderful place and it has so much to offer to a person with open mind and heart.

Tamil Brahmins should stop sitting on high horse and stop adopting a holier than thou attitude. They should stop their isolation

from other castes and communities. We are like all other castes ,communities. All are human beings. If we freely inter mix

with

others wherever we are, we will get better accepted by others.We have compromised on food habits , stopped being totally

vegetarian,Some have thrown away their threads .Our youngsters freely smoke and drink .How many observe rituals these

days or go to temples? So one can wake up and stop feeling self pity. We can enjoy what life has to offer.World is a

wonderful place and it has so much to offer to a person with open mind and heart.

Your reply shows the inability to adopt to changed environment and at the same time, follow customs and conventions as far as possible. It shows lack of interest.

Most of the Muslims follow strictly their religious practices and become modern also.

B community lacks proper guidance from both well educated and religious people.

We need to learn a lot from Muslims in relation to community development and disciplined religious practices.

Todays' condition and forthcoming years' scenario of Brahmins and in particular that of Tamil Brahmins is all made/created by themselves. None other to blame. It is exemplary example of Elephant putting dirt on its own head. The Tamil brahmins can never unite, never co-operate and adjust and help and console other community members. They are the first ones to laugh at others' plight. In total Unity and community is absent and it will never come to them. They have no brains or rotten brain from the time of independance. The tamil brahmins are destined to perish, including me very soon.

yes. It is true that we only left to our own down fall without giving enough room for cooperation in the social and political field. We just concentrated on our own individual welfare rather than community welfare. That only had left to this downfall.

The poor far outnumber the well off..

The well off are at the mercy of the poor

The poor have to take care of the well off.

Prasadji's aspirations are justified.

If my personal helps do not turn up for a day, it is chaos.

OMG! what is so difficult to just simply live!
Is it so hard?

Why the 24/7 Glanir Bhavati Syndrome(Declining Syndrome)...logically what the heck is declining?

Its not as if majority of TBs are in prison or detained in Alcatraz!

Majority of TBs I am sure are leading fairly stable lives and only those who cant accept change are landing in divorce etc cos they are stuck in the past yet in total denial of the present.

Just imagine countries like Syria..Libya..Palestine etc...people there are in decline of almost everything yet TBs keep complaining of an Idli not cooked TBs style or the new wife didnt draw a Kolam ..Son in law not wearing a Langothi..or the Daughter In Law didnt wear her Thali!LOL

Why TBs are always trying to depressed themselves ? What ever happened to Sattva? This is total inertia!
Just BE..learn to BE as in Just exists...TB or NOT TB!

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

Only because no restrictions are followed by most of the Tambrahms,

there is nothing existing as Tambrahm culture!!

Many are living in total freedom, without adhering to what is taught by our elders.

About Tamil:

To score high marks, since academic proficiency is given priority by Tambrahms, many

don't learn their mother tongue in schools. Sanskrit or French is learnt, to forget in due course.

Speaking their mother tongue in public places is considered "not-so-modern" by Tambrahms!

But, people from other states talk in their language, whenever they meet.

BTW, some district Tambrahms create terror to others! In a matrimony center, a parent

was abusing the clerk for NOT changing his ancestor's place as Chennai!! ;)

OMG! what is so difficult to just simply live!
Is it so hard?

Why the 24/7 Glanir Bhavati Syndrome(Declining Syndrome)...logically what the heck is declining?

Its not as if majority of TBs are in prison or detained in Alcatraz!

Majority of TBs I am sure are leading fairly stable lives and only those who cant accept change are landing in divorce etc cos they are stuck in the past yet in total denial of the present.

Just imagine countries like Syria..Libya..Palestine etc...people there are in decline of almost everything yet TBs keep complaining of an Idli not cooked TBs style or the new wife didnt draw a Kolam ..Son in law not wearing a Langothi..or the Daughter In Law didnt wear her Thali!LOL

Why TBs are always trying to depressed themselves ? What ever happened to Sattva? This is total inertia!
Just BE..learn to BE as in Just exists...TB or NOT TB!
It is not possible to simply live in the present for those who have to unlearn what they have been taught and lived their lives believing implicitly

in that. They cannot operate in an investment oriented globalised economy having to change savings oriented living.Many are realising that their

their savings and deposits in banks have shrunk . They find that their families have disintegrated with children in foreiign countries and joint

families have disintegrated ,become nuclear. The next generation feminazi daughter in laws are refusing to support them pushing them to senior

citizen homes..How can you tell them to accept and enjoy the present?

Latest ads

Back