• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Weekend reflections

Another weekend 24th and 25 august 2018.

what is new?

One wise young relative says it is stupid to invest in Mutual funds

The logic is we are trusting our hard earned money with mutual fund managers who play with it

recklessly with no risk to themselves.

They protect themselves with the declaration that investments are subject to market risk.
%
They invest big % in large stocks and forced to keep a cash balance that leaves them at best 45% for other stocks.

Entering into funds when market is at an all time high is just foolish

They can at best get you 11%after taxes reduces to 8 or 9%.

These days fixed deposits give more than 8% risk free

It is far better to invest oneself in the equity share market in having the choice in consumer durable shares like HUL or ITC or reliance .supply chain shares like gati can give good returns.In the event

of fall in market one can quickly exit.also one can rotate money number of times selling and buying
frequently.

2Blogging is becoming a good occupation and money spinner. Many youngsters are taking to it.
Sitting at home one can impart their gyan on various topics which attract the young and the not so young.I know some who are raking in the moolah doing just that.Those who have knowledge and experience can share it with others who can benefit

3.There is competition in aviation sector among airlines to fill seats.If booked in advance one can get excellent deals.

Vistara [TATA] and singapore airlines are taking on budget airlines and air india by outpricing them.Vistara recently

celebrated my birthday when I was in theBoarding flight next day by making me cut a cake on the flight beside taking selfies

with me. Very surprised by their gesture.

Boarding a flight or deplaning has become so complicated that children of old parents make the parents take the wheel

chair option with attendants. I found as many as 15 senior citizens exercising the wheel chair option in delhi singapore

flight.One avoids the hassle of standing in queues for check in out and get priority boarding.

Also business class is fast becoming a requirement for them as they require more room and comfort.Air journey is safe

if one can put up with turbulence due to weather.

One item indians like to take to singapore is thengai copra.It is not easily available here.We require the same for chutnies.In

baggage it leads to security hassles.

Singapore is a regulated society.The racial mix of indian,malay,chinese is apartment is controlled.Public spaces are closely

monitored. It is a welfare state with excellent medicare,education for all.

One item indians like to take to singapore is thengai copra.It is not easily available here.We require the same for chutnies.In

baggage it leads to security hassles.

Singapore is a regulated society.The racial mix of indian,malay,chinese is apartment is controlled.Public spaces are closely

monitored. It is a welfare state with excellent medicare,education for all.

LOL

cross over to Johor....you can get plenty coconuts.

Another weekend sept 8th and 9th 2018

1. Most online sites are predicting a global market crash comparing with recession of twenties and lehman crisis of 2008.Emerging markets are in

a tailspin argentina,brazil,indonesia leading the way. Indian currency has breached 71rs to dollar from highs of 65 rs.

2. Savings in FDs parked for 3 to 5 years are likely to be worthless.Investing in shares,real estate ithough risky is an option.

better park in gold etf bonds or buy gold ornaments if in gulf or singapore.
3 Spending to fulfill unfulfilled desires is an option as saved money can only depreciate

4. US china confrontation is going to lead to a lot of pain for emerging markets. When elephants roll it is the grass that gets hurt. US

disfavours india buying oil from iran and armaments from russia. To what extent india can protect its interests is to be seen. With state and

central elections around the corner no harsh decisions can get made. With rampant inflation and devalued rupee all purchases are likely to be

expensive. But not spending is not an option. One can only lose by doing nothing.Does anyone have useful idea on how to respond ?

Another weekend sept 8th and 9th 2018

1. Most online sites are predicting a global market crash comparing with recession of twenties and lehman crisis of 2008.Emerging markets are in

a tailspin argentina,brazil,indonesia leading the way. Indian currency has breached 71rs to dollar from highs of 65 rs.

2. Savings in FDs parked for 3 to 5 years are likely to be worthless.Investing in shares,real estate ithough risky is an option.

better park in gold etf bonds or buy gold ornaments if in gulf or singapore.
3 Spending to fulfill unfulfilled desires is an option as saved money can only depreciate

4. US china confrontation is going to lead to a lot of pain for emerging markets. When elephants roll it is the grass that gets hurt. US

disfavours india buying oil from iran and armaments from russia. To what extent india can protect its interests is to be seen. With state and

central elections around the corner no harsh decisions can get made. With rampant inflation and devalued rupee all purchases are likely to be

expensive. But not spending is not an option. One can only lose by doing nothing.Does anyone have useful idea on how to respond ?
hi

thanks....i expect my one dollar will be 100 rupees...im waiting for that...it will be very helpful for NRIs..

hi

thanks....i expect my one dollar will be 100 rupees...im waiting for that...it will be very helpful for NRIs..

Going with that thought Krishji, If you invest $1 with me ie Rs72.00 I will return $1 in one year, your profit will be at least 25%.:rockon:

All global sites are predicting that recession is in the offing.

How poorly are TBs prepared for that.

Many have mortgaged their house/flat to avail student loan for sending children to US.

Some women have pledged their jewellery for their children

After PG abroad many boys/girls cannot marry as they have to repay their loans .

With interest rates/loan rates going up it will be quite a task to repay.

Many cannot marry until 30 plus if they want to be loan free.

Then with girls acting high and mighty, getting someone to marry these boys is getting increasingly difficult.

Recession and debt trap can damage many middle class and they will be out of middle class.

Emerging market countries like india are heading for deep distress.

TBs might be better off becoming temple priests managing on plate money and free food

Last edited:
All global sites are predicting that recession is in the offing.

How poorly are TBs prepared for that.

Many have mortgaged their house/flat to avail student loan for sending children to US.

Some women have pledged their jewellery for their children

After PG abroad many boys/girls cannot marry as they have to repay their loans .

With interest rates/loan rates going up it will be quite a task to repay.

Many cannot marry until 30 plus if they want to be loan free.

Then with girls acting high and mighty, getting someone to marry these boys is getting increasingly difficult.

Recession and debt trap can damage many middle class and they will be out of middle class.

Emerging market countries like india are heading for deep distress.

TBs might be better off becoming temple priests managing on plate money and free food

hi

nothing wrong...its their heredatary profession...many central govt retirees are priesthood in delhi.....many are enjoying

priesthood with central govt pension with DA....all pensioner benefitts too...

Krishji,

I think TBs are quite smart. This is the fundamental principle of leverage​. As long as the returns from US exceed the interest payment, things should be fine. Also mortgage rates usually have a fixed period. Typically they don't rise month to month.

What about the mental health of the boys. The introverts brood, the extroverts have flings with anyone they come across.

We are producing a generation of dysfunctional TBs.

H1b restrictions have stopped the outflow of wives from india.

American indian girls do not fancy the desi types we are exporting on a large scale.

So many end up with mexicans or coloured americans.

Returning to the subject of melt down of emerging markets , indian markets are propped up by domestic financial institutions.

NRI and PIOs withdrawing due to sebi controls on indian managed funds from abroad due to fear of round tripping by some abroad,Domestic funds

are mopping it up. Lot of youngsters working here were induced to get into systematic investment plan SIP , domestic funds are flush with

money which they are using to buy large cap stocks like HUL,RIL, ITC TCS,Infosys which have shot up to unrealistic levels not matching their

performance , Markets are due for a big fall .What will trigger it or when is not known. NRIs and PIOs are keeping away from indian market due

to SEBI restrictions

What Krish sirji. You seem to be saying that the sky is falling.

I am actually interested in the rumor that says that the govt will float $$ NRI bonds to bolster its Forex reserves.

That may be a good investment opportunity for NRIs. What do you think?

What Krish sirji. You seem to be saying that the sky is falling.

I am actually interested in the rumor that says that the govt will float $$ NRI bonds to bolster its Forex reserves.

That may be a good investment opportunity for NRIs. What do you think?
Many NRIs are waiting for a good moment /oppurtunity to invest in india. The uncertainities and

volatile market with down ward fall of rupee along with share market is making most sit on their money

parked abroad.The economic think tank is dithering with FM being unwell and knee jerk reactions to

global changes. Free fall of rupee is not being controlled much and more pain is likely.Best sit on cash or

dollars you have until the swadeshi lobby changes its mindset about NRI money

I ventured into investing in India 2 times, both times lost money in Dollar terms.

20 years ago I inverted in reliance 15% debentures. I invested $5000, after 5 years I only got $4,250 back.
They did pay 15% interest annually but Rupee devalued.

Last year I invested in a US ETF INDA about $10,000 and had to get out as that started to tank, fortunately, I had a stop loss at $8000.

No more investing in India for me.

At last the indian govt has taken decisive steps to support the rupee after intervention of indian PM.

Indian re climbed by about 1.5 rs before settling about 1 re up.

This is what happens when power is concentrated in one person.

My attempts to invest in FMCG and IT paid off while I still ended up with a few nationalisd bank losers

However the NRI bonds are held and repatriable in $$, just like FCNR terms. So there should be no exchange loss. The returns are probably modest, in the 5% range, so you can't make a killing.

However the NRI bonds are held and repatriable in $$, just like FCNR terms. So there should be no exchange loss. The returns are probably modest, in the 5% range, so you can't make a killing.

Read the fine print. My debentures were repatriable in Dollars, but they were converted and reconverted.

Another weekend sept 15th-16th.

Retired TBs in india might have something to cheer about.

FD rates might go up and debt funds might become attractive.

I would not be surprised if interest rates hit 10 or 11%.

India had to decisively intervene to prop up the rupee.

Though it has enough for imports of oil and other essentials depleting dollar reserves would look forward to higher NRI remittances

So it might it might float dollar funds to attract NRIs.

2. India is getting drawn into US orbit by signing COMCASA , reducing dependance on iran oil and trying to draw away from russia.

It might become slave to american whimsical policies which might change after Trump era.

We really do not know whether we have to toe the american line to stay afloat . They will decide who our friends and foes are.

Containment of china appears to be their prime objective. We are only fringe players. We might strengthen our navy to patrol the seas to

counteract china with US support. The price we have to pay might be patrol the pacific to please the US.No support is ever without strings.

I like the new openness sweeping indian metros.

Many get into live ins , look for accommodation in metros .

If they check into five star hotels they feel normally safe.

Otherwise they hunt for Homestays when they have limited resources.

In bangalore or hyderabad it is easy.

In chennai which is still conservative, heading to pondicherry or ECR appears a good option.

Northern cities are far more permissive.

Delhi with all its monuments provides easy meeting /peergroupmeeting places.

Delhi zoo is a favourite haunt.

It is an in thing to flaunt ones girl friend .Those who do not have one are treated as outcastes by their friend/peer group and left alone

Some getting married at registrars with help of friends is becoming common place so is separation

so more are honest in relationships and call it quits if it does not work out

I cannot help welcoming this new india

Latest ads

Back