• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Observing one year mourning by not going to temple for one year

Namaskarams to all the members. I delighted to be in the midst of community members and thanks for this opportunity facilitated by tamilbrahmins.com I have a question on rituals of our community. Recently on 21st May this year my mother expired at the age of 94. We did all the rituals as per the directions of our family sastrigal. He finally told us that for next one year, ie till varushabthigam , our family members should not go to any temple, malai vasasthalam, dipping feet in sea . I feel that this a big handicap . Any clarifications on this will be very much appreciated by me. Whether going to temple and swamy darshan is a sin during this one year period? - J.Lakshminarasimhan

Pranams. As per our sastrigal you can visit any temple which do not have a flagpost(Kodimaram) and should not visit any hill temple like palani, sabarimala etc. and especially you should not do any archana or any other offerings during the one year mourning period till varushabtigam.

Per my knowledge, after the 13 day period you can start going to temples again.
And you need to take up any one of the vows listed, not all. For example, you can take a vow to not dip your feet in the sea, for one full year. This is what I did, when my mother expired.

On the 13th day we visited temple when my father passed way. After that you can visit the temple but not do any Archana as per my sastrigal till one year completion!

i was told 1 year by my sastrigal and others in my family. Not that I am of the pious type, but sometimes you may just want to defer it to the sastrigal and/or the closest family member of the deceased for peace of mind and less complications.

hi

even i did all karyams in rameshwaram....on 13th day i visited rameshwaram temple and did moksha deepam for my mother...

i used visit tirupati temple every year....but i never visit tirupati till my mother's first anniversary...

Latest ads

Back