• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

2018 upakarmas and musings

What are upakarmas, and why are they important to Brahmins?

The purohits will tell you, and you will find from the almanacs, that in 2018 Rig-Veda upakarma occurs on 24 August, Yajur-Veda on 26 August, and Saama-Veda on 11 September.

What happens on those days?

The old ladies and some others will tell you that you simply go to the priest and "change your poonal". And pay him a fee, of course.

The purohits and elderly Brahmins will say it involves far more than that. They will say that all Brahmins belonging to each Veda separately assemble annually on that special day at a sacred and public place to refurbish their Brahma-thejas, to reaffirm their identity, to re-establish their ties with their community, to perform japam solemnly and humbly attributing blame for past year's misdeeds to uncontrolled anger and to lust (which they implicitly promise to overcome).

By offering libations of pure cold flowing river water (sometimes mixed with black sesame seeds and white husked rice) they renew spiritual and ritual contact with the celestials, with the inspired ancient guiding rishis, with the athmas of departed male and female ancestors up to three generations back and beyond, with the Brahma-athma within themselves, with the four Vedams and the Ithihaasams, with those unique beings called "kaanda-rishis".

They catalogue the various religious and moral transgressions, big, intermediate, and small they might have committed knowingly or unknowingly, by inducement or voluntarily, and seek purification and deliverance from all these by triple immersion in the sacred Ganga River, reciting "Govinda! Govinda! Govinda!" after seeking and obtaining permission to do so from the guardian of the Varanasi river-banks - the Bhairava form of Bhagavaan Sri Rudra-Mahadeva Shiva.

Shubra-vasthra-dhaaranam and yagnyopaveetha-dhaaranam come next, followed immediately by special Kaanda-rishi tharppanam of Ganga jalam mixed with black sesame seeds and white husked rice. The purohits then lead the assembled Braahmana parishad in extended chathur-Veda-abhyaasam and paaraayanam. The most important concluding ritual is homam which includes special Kaanda-rishi homam and ends with the grand Jayaathi homam. Attendees pay aachaarya sambhaavana to the purohits, do namaskaaram, and accept aasheervaathams (and prasaadams including raksha from the homa-bhasmam) before returning home.

My musings -

Our Vedams say, "poornasya poornamaadaaya poornam-evaa vashishyathe." This aphorism encapsulates succinctly and beautifully the truth about the Barahminic concept of Ishvara or the Paramaathman. "anubischa mahadbhishcha," say our Vedams, further positing the omnipresence of the immanent Ultimate Reality.

Whether we study the upanishads, the aaranyakams, the samhithas, the braahmanams, or other texts (or all of them), the same message percolates through.

Today, Brahmins might well be identified as exponents of heliocentrism, votaries of savithr. The misconception arises mainly because of our perceived commitment to the thrice-a-day reverence of the Sun in His celestial positions at sunrise, noon, and sunset, as He exerts His irresistible gravitational (and centri-petal and centrifugal) forces on our circum-ambulating Earth.. And perhaps because of our practice of doing surya-namaskaaram reciting arunam e.g. on ordinary Sundays and especially on Sundays in simha (aavani) maasam.

My take is that this devotion to the Sun is the absolute minimum. What is noteworthy is that at each of the 132 namaskaarams we chant, "Shree chchaaya suvarchalaambaal sametha shree soorya-naaraayana svaamine namaha: ohm namo naaraayanaaya!" In this context the nomen "naaraayana" represents not just Lord Maha Vishnu but the Parabrahmam Itself as embodying all the celestials worthy or worship (and the entire conceived Universe).

Who are the celestials, and who are the Brahmins? The Vedams answer: "braahmano vai sarvaa devathaaha", intimating that when performing their religious duties such as yagnyam, the Brahmins are (equivalent to and indistinguishable from) the celestials themselves. See the praarthana part of our scriptures beginning: "yadagnim poorvagum harathyath-aagni-hothram." Our Vedams envisage Brahmins as searching to discover brahma-nishta - realisation of Ishvara. To achieve this end the kartha has perforce to resort to karma-nishta. Two concurrent paths of activity are prescribed, intelligent and purposive studies of the Vedams, and performance of yagnyams (fire-sacrifices).

Reverting to the upakarma rites and rituals, my own thinking is that on balance the sine-qua-non and most significant parts are the mahaa-sankalppam followed by Ganga-snaanam, the Kaanda-rishi tharppanam, and the homams. Merely changing the yagnyopaveetham can be done quickly by oneself at home, reciting the required manthrams.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

hi

its brahmin mamas get together....the real upkarmas held in agraharams during 60s/70s even 80s...now a days ....no sradhaaa

just like get together event....even vadhyars are so busy these days...

hi

its brahmin mamas get together....the real upkarmas held in agraharams during 60s/70s even 80s...now a days ....no sradhaaa

just like get together event....even vadhyars are so busy these days...i enjoyed my THALAI AVANI AVITTAM during 60s

in a small agraharam in palakkad...

Dear tbs

It might well be that the phenomenon you mention, ".......no sradhaaa just like get together event....even vadhyars are so busy these days....." is unique to Mother India. My own personal experience is that among the Braahmana diaspora, the further from home, the greater the determination and more intense the shraddha to observe our traditional rituals in the correct and orthodox way. New Zealand to Canada, Scotland to Singapore, Sweden to South Africa, the expatriate Brahmins seem to have a deeper fervour for our religious practices.

It is a pleasure and a great honour to see the dozens of brahmachaaris doing their samidha-daanam together early on upakarma day, and to see them again the following day enthusiastically (helped and encouraged by their parents) performing the 1008 Gaayathri homam in unison. Very glad to hear that half a century ago you thoroughly enjoyed your thalai aavani avittam during 60's in a small agrahaaram in Paalakkad.

Perhaps folk like you should set the standard for upakarma attendance and participation today in spite of all the disincentives and distractions. And try to bring in line those money-minded vaadhyaars who tend to stray from the high ideals they should espouse.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear tbs

It might well be that the phenomenon you mention, ".......no sradhaaa just like get together event....even vadhyars are so busy these days....." is unique to Mother India. My own personal experience is that among the Braahmana diaspora, the further from home, the greater the determination and more intense the shraddha to observe our traditional rituals in the correct and orthodox way. New Zealand to Canada, Scotland to Singapore, Sweden to South Africa, the expatriate Brahmins seem to have a deeper fervour for our religious practices.

It is a pleasure and a great honour to see the dozens of brahmachaaris doing their samidha-daanam together early on upakarma day, and to see them again the following day enthusiastically (helped and encouraged by their parents) performing the 1008 Gaayathri homam in unison. Very glad to hear that half a century ago you thoroughly enjoyed your thalai aavani avittam during 60's in a small agrahaaram in Paalakkad.

Perhaps folk like you should set the standard for upakarma attendance and participation today in spite of all the disincentives and distractions. And try to bring in line those money-minded vaadhyaars who tend to stray from the high ideals they should espouse.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer
hi sir,

i studied in veda patasala from palakkad...im from USA NOW.....even we do three batches of yajur upakarma with homam in

our local temple....we have more than 10 bramacharis for THALAI AVANI AVITTAM EVERY YEAR.....here we have small temple fee

and minimum dakshina in USD...so no complaints...

Dear Sri tbs

Most happy to learn about your yajur-veda annual upakarma in the US, especially the brahmachaaris' batches doing thalai aavani-avittam ceremonies.

In California, in Texas, and in New York State there are substantial numbers of South Indian Brahmins as far as I know. Quite a few in Toronto, Canada, too where I have performed Bhagavathi-Sevai, etc. by invitation. If it is not confidential, would like to hear your where in US you have settled. One of my sons has settled in Santa Clara county, California, with his wife from Adyar, Chennai and their twins. We keep in regular touch with him, and exchange regular visits. Our chammanthis (sambandhis?) still reside in Adyar.

Namaskaaram.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sri tbs

Most happy to learn about your yajur-veda annual upakarma in the US, especially the brahmachaaris' batches doing thalai aavani-avittam ceremonies.

In California, in Texas, and in New York State there are substantial numbers of South Indian Brahmins as far as I know. Quite a few in Toronto, Canada, too where I have performed Bhagavathi-Sevai, etc. by invitation. If it is not confidential, would like to hear your where in US you have settled. One of my sons has settled in Santa Clara county, California, with his wife from Adyar, Chennai and their twins. We keep in regular touch with him, and exchange regular visits. Our chammanthis (sambandhis?) still reside in Adyar.

Namaskaaram.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer
hi sir,

im an US CITIZEN.....now very close to washington DC area in east coast...

Latest ads

Back