• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Do we really believe in world peace?

prasad1

[h=2]Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu mantra meaning and translation:[/h][FONT=&quot]“May all beings be happy and free from suffering. And may the thoughts, words, and actions in my own life in some way contribute to that happiness and that freedom for all.”

This is an invocation in my yoga class.
People chanting are good people and mean well.

But are they honest? Do we really believe it to be true? Do we repeat it as it sounds good?

During Christmas, The Church in my neighborhood raises a huge placard with the slogan of :

Peace On Earth

Is it genuine?

Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam is a Sanskrit phrase found in Hindu texts such as the Maha Upanishad, which means "the world is one family".

Again it is a good thought but is it possible in this world. It did not happen in the past, it is definitely
not happening now.

Why do we repeat just lofty but HOLLOW words?
[/FONT]

The leaders of various groups go to war. They marshal their reasons, stir up their base, dehumanize the enemy, and send out their forces. The number of people actually responsible for the decision to go to war can usually fit comfortably inside a single large-sized room.

Leaders, of course, only occasionally represent the best of what humanity has to offer so they usually exhibit the same failings and weaknesses as the rest of us. They get angry when they shouldn't, let their egos motivate them more than they should, and are entirely too concerned with doing what's popular rather than what's right. They suffer from the same three poisons as the populations they lead: greed, anger, and stupidity.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/happiness-in-world/201002/how-world-peace-is-possible

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]In a world in which tyrannies continue to exist, war may in fact sometimes be justified. In the same way it's necessary to fight to defend oneself when attacked, so too it's sometimes necessary to go to war to put down injustice, or even the possibility of injustice when its likelihood is great enough. Rarely, however, is this given as a primary reason. Even democracies seem to be roused to war only by self-interest.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Fair enough. But when any leader chooses war, he or she should do so with a heavy heart. As the original Buddha, Shakyamuni, once said when asked if killing was ever to be permitted: "It is enough to kill the will to kill." In other words, we should strive to kill the the idea that killing others should be anything other than the very last action we ever permit ourselves to take. Shakyamuni was a realist. He knew the world would always be filled with people bent on committing evil, people whose ideas about how to live involved oppressing and killing others, and though he felt compassion even for them would speak loudly and passionately about the necessity of standing against them in concrete, practical ways.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/happiness-in-world/201002/how-world-peace-is-possible[/FONT]

Actually we are just being one liners...none of us believe in using the whole stanza.

This phrase is from one of the Mangala Mantra often recited after a pooja or religious ceremony.

स्वस्तिप्रजाभ्यः परिपालयंतां न्यायेन मार्गेण महीं महीशाः ।

गोब्राह्मणेभ्यः शुभमस्तु नित्यं लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनोभवंतु ॥

ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः |
svasti-prajā-bhyaḥ pari-pāla-yaṁtāṁ nyāyena mārgeṇa mahīṁ mahīśāḥ |

go-brāhmaṇebhyaḥ śubham-astu nityaṁ lokāḥ samastāḥ sukhino-bhavaṁtu ||

auṁ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ |
Translation

May the well-being of all people be protected By the powerful and mighty leaders be with law and justice.

May good success be with all cows (divinity) and scholars, May all (samastah) the worlds (lokha) become (bhavantu) happy (sukhino).

Om peace, peace, peace.

Taken from Hinduism stack exchange.

Next stanza:
Ayam nijah paroveti
ganana laghuchetasam,
udaracharitanantu
vasudhaiva kutumbakam.

Now coming to world peace..do we really believe in it?

No!
Becos for anything to be believed that means there is an element of uncertainity for the question to even arise.

For eg..there is air around us..we do not have to ask " do you belief in air? No we dont cos its like present and no need to be questioned..but only when we are being suffocated due to absence of air do we realize that air actually existed for our life to function.

Likewise..if we have to ask " do we believe in world peace..that only shows we are either not believing in practicing it or it doesnt exists"

Mostly World Peace is only important to a Miss World contestant cos unless she says World Peace she cant win the crown..for the rest of us World Peace is of not much significance.

Are we lying, if we just repeat a "worn phrase", "empty words"?
But sometimes that is what is expected of us. But I feel I should not do that.
Am I the only one who feels that we are disingenuous if we repeat these worn-out phrases.

Last edited:
Am I lying, if I just repeat a "worn phrase", "empty words"?
But sometimes that is what is expected of you. But I feel I should not do that.

No..you are not lying but mostly none of us believe in world peace cos i dont think a state of equilibrium can exists too long in any system.

Everything tilts eventually and polar opposites come into being.
Peace isnt an external state or an internal state..peace is an ability to be equiposed in all situations..thats what Geeta says..to handle everything alike but this doesnt mean we are indifferent or heartless..surely we experience and feel happiness and sorrow...loss or gain..but peace is the ability to let these experiences shape us but not scar us.

So if we are looking for peace anywhere that means we are just not having the function or ability to handle polarities of life.

The even better part is ..its so easy for me to type this but how much of it i am able to practice is a diferrent story all together!

Btw..what most people think is peace is a mutual admiration society!LOL

World peace ?Are you kidding?

One can see nations in conflict all the time. In this century we have been witness to two world wars ,lakhs perishing and many living with after effects of the last war ending

As long as nations have their own ambitions and desire to dominate the world, there can be no peace.

We can be only be at peace with ourself and hope no one spoils it by their actions.

There you go: peace for cows and Brahmins.

Muslims and others need not apply. Anyway Muslims cannot be at peace with cows and vice versa. So I guess "loka samasta" cannot include Muslims/Christians etc.

Thanks to Renukaji for the translation.

There you go: peace for cows and Brahmins.

Muslims and others need not apply. Anyway Muslims cannot be at peace with cows and vice versa. So I guess "loka samasta" cannot include Muslims/Christians etc.

Thanks to Renukaji for the translation.

I wanted to highlight that point when I posted that and was waiting for someone to bring up the point! LOL

Cos not many people know the full shloka many Hindus think we are the only one who prays for the whole world and universe but in reality its like a "Conditional peace" ..that is in order for the Loka and Samastha to be happy the Cow and the Brahmana should be kept happy as clearly mentioned..other animals and other humans are just grouped under "subjects(praja)" as if insignificant when in reality everyone is interdependent.

So this is so means "All animals are equal but some are more equal than the other and all humans are equal but some humans are more equal than the other"..its so obvious this shloka is only meant for an Indian environment cos a cow is of not much use in a dessert...so I wonder if a camel and an Imaam too should be kept happy for Dunya ca Akhirah(World and After-Life) Sukhino Bhavantu!LOL

I guess we do not differ all that much from Abrahamic faiths that only wish well for their own kind..well humans we are all the same finally..its Mine Vs Yours!LOL

Last edited:
That is a later sloka. We have more ancient slokas like....
ॐ तच्छं योरावृणीमहे | गातुं यज्ञाय |
गातुं यज्ञपतये |
दैवी स्वस्तिरस्तु नः | स्वस्तिर्मानुषेभ्यः |
ऊर्ध्वं जिगातु भेषजम् |
शं नो अस्तु द्विपदे | शं चतुष्पदे ||

Latest ads

Back