• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Consecration of Kasi Viswanath temple: Where North and South merged

S

swathi25

[FONT=&quot]Kasi Viswanath temple comsecration took place after 238 years. Great in deed. It is reported that the last Kumbhabhishekam was performed by Ahalyabhai Holkar who built the temple with steel to prevent demolition[/FONT]

Consecration of Kasi Viswanath temple: Where North and South merged

Chennai couple Subbusundaram and Annapoorani narrate the story behind the Consecration of Kasi Viswanath temple, happening after nearly two centuries

For a supplement, which catches up with the consecration of temples, the prominent ones definitely, the news of the Mahakumbabishekam of Sri Vishwanath Temple at Varanasi came as a surprise. And it was happening after two centuries, 238 years to be precise. History has it that Rani Ahalyabai Holkar of Indore built the present temple and dedicated it without much fanfare in 1780. Ever since no consecration has been done. Even more surprising was the fact that a person from the South was at the helm, supported by the Pandas, including Sri Srikanth and Sri Raman — both scholars. The story, as narrated by Chennai couple Subbusundaram and Annapoorani makes for a fairytale, only this one is divine.

Its location between the river Varna and the stream Asi gives the haloed city its name. The Ganges with the 84 ghats on her banks has spawned thousands of stories and songs, being the Muse for poets, artists and composers. The dirt, pollution and traffic have not deterred tourists and the spiritually inclined from heading to Kasi, renowned as Mukti Sthal.

“I’m not a religious kind of person,” begins Subbusundaram. His track record, however, belies his words. Belonging to Nattukottai, Subbusundaram is the patron of several temples, including those in the Nagarathar belt. As secretary of the Nagarathar Chatiram in Varanasi, Subbusundaram is a frequent visitor to the place and does not fail to worship at the Vishwanath Temple. He would offer suggestions to the authorities regarding improvements, often referring to the way temples are maintained down South. “In this context, I mentioned kumbabhishekam and they wanted to know more about it. As I described what it was and why it was done, they asked whether I could help them conduct one at the temple. I was taken aback but didn’t say ‘no’ and returned to Chennai,” explains Subbusundaram.

27FRKaasi7

Read more at: https://www.thehindu.com/society/hi...-kasi-after-two-centuries/article24529478.ece

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest ads

Back