• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Many Indians are deciding not to bring children into this overpopulated, unkind world

prasad1

“Am I an antinatalist?” I thought out loud, after coming across the term in an article. My husband responded, “Antinationalist? Aren’t we all supposedly antinationalist nowadays?” I corrected him – it is a philosophy that believes it’s cruel to bring humans into this overburdened world – while continuing to think about the idea. I am 38 years old, my husband and I have been together for 13 years and we do not have children by choice. Our hum do, hamare do family is completed by our two adopted dogs. I have never wanted biological children and if the maternal instinct should surface, adoption is the only route I would consider.

My reasons are not unusual. Parenthood is not for everyone; raising a child is a huge financial and emotional investment; the compromise and commitment required is enormous; and my husband and I find fulfillment in many other ways. But over the last decade another reason has crept in, and has only grown stronger with time.

This is not a world into which I want to bring a child. A child will inevitably be affected by the problems and stressful times we live in, from which I would never be able to guarantee him or her protection. In India, doomsday headlines scream out environmental and lifestyle-related problems every day. It all stems from overpopulation, many of thereports say. Though everyone agrees that environmental issues need to be dealt with, are we considering the impact our decision to have children has on these issues? Do ecological concerns feature in the decision-making process for individuals in India who decide to be child-free or adopt children?

https://scroll.in/magazine/886356/m...children-into-this-overpopulated-unkind-world

This appears to be a post by someone who thinks with her head instead of listening to her heart. Most get into a relationship and get into a child bearing mode due to sex

urges and satisfying their physical needs.To cite environmental concerns for not betting children sounds a far fetched reason and adopting dogs as an alternative is just

ridiculous.

This appears to be a post by someone who thinks with her head instead of listening to her heart. Most get into a relationship and get into a child bearing mode due to sex

urges and satisfying their physical needs.To cite environmental concerns for not betting children sounds a far fetched reason and adopting dogs as an alternative is just

ridiculous.

Sex act does not have to end up in child bearing. In the modern day when both partners are working, child bearing is generally planned. In affluent families the cost of raising a successful child is very expensive, so people do lot more planning.
The delayed marriage also adds a factor.

In a joint family there was more pressure to have children, there is constant reminder and social pressure on the couple to have children. With the nuclear family the importance goes to having fun.

Last edited:
It is always desirable to have small family with or without children.

In India, the picture is totally different, since it is a multi religious country. Any change in demography will totally change the country’s position, majority may become minority and ultimately become extinct, as happened in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh.

hi

in india...hindus are having less children....muslims/others have more children.....there is no law...

More than religion it is the economic factors that make the difference is that the poor families are having more children. Unfortunately, Muslims are generally poor.

Its best left to the husband and wife to decide if they want children or not and they shouldnt be pressured to have kids just to let the oldies become grandparents.

At times I wonder why oldies race to get grandkids..
If my son decides to get married in the future i would let him decide if he wants to have kids or not..i am in no acute need to have grandkids cos thats not my concern and not in my hands either.

Life would much easier if everyone knew their limit on influencing others.

Many parents if they are not fully satisfied with their children they hope at least their grand children would be better .They transfer their attention and affection to grandkids

and hope they will do better in life.

If the next generation are working parents, many do not mind even bringing up their grandchildren.

More than religion it is the economic factors that make the difference is that the poor families are having more children. Unfortunately, Muslims are generally poor.

In which country Muslims are poor, in India it is definitely not. To get Muslim vote they are being portrayed as poor. Wherever they are large in numbers they don’t allow people from other faiths to live, let alone buying property.

It seems you are hiding under Hindu name.

Grandkids are typically more fun than kids.

A few houses away from mine is a house with an overdose of grandkids...the noise from that house is beyond description.

At an older age I wont be able to tolerate that much sound.
Its just nice to play with kids for a short while but not more than that! LOL

Yes. Agreed that economic factors decide on the number of Children. Education also plays an important role in deciding the number of children. Recently I read an interesting article on explotion of population, which states,
"Poverty is believed to be the leading cause of overpopulation. A lack of educational resources, coupled with high death rates leading to higher birth rates, result in impoverished areas seeing large booms in population."
Community wise there is reduction of birth rate among the educated people like Parsi, Syrian Christians, Upper Caste Hindus and affluent Muslims. Unfortunately poverty is prevalent in all communities, more so among Muslims and rural Hindus.
There is a big migration of artisans especially from North eastern States to Southern India in search of jobs.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

A few houses away from mine is a house with an overdose of grandkids...the noise from that house is beyond description.

Doctor,

Ha ha... that's unkindest cut of all.
I am an old man, I love the warmth and noise of kids, more so of my grand kids.

"Children are a great comfort to us in our old age, and they help us reach it faster too."
— JOHN RUSKIN

When we become old we may know the value of human noise.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Doctor,

Ha ha... that's unkindest cut of all.
I am an old man, I love the warmth and noise of kids, more so of my grand kids.

"Children are a great comfort to us in our old age, and they help us reach it faster too."
— JOHN RUSKIN

When we become old we may know the value of human noise.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sir..

I agree with you...its really unkind of me! LOL

but i have a very low threshold for noise...i prefer silence and imagine a home filled with crying screaming kids...during the school holidays its even worse! LOL.the noise is unbearable.

In which country Muslims are poor, in India it is definitely not. To get Muslim vote they are being portrayed as poor. Wherever they are large in numbers they don’t allow people from other faiths to live, let alone buying property.

Sir, we might have our own biases.

Looking at the state of West Bengal in Northeastern India, a province with a sizable Muslim population, accounting for about 25 percent of the total, the NSSO study revealed that urban Muslim boys and girls have the highest drop-out rates in the state. The gap is widest at higher education levels, for every 1,000 Hindu males, 30 go on to complete post-graduation, while the figure for Hindu females is 32. But for every 1,000 Muslim boys, only 10 enter post-graduation; and for Muslim girls the figure is just 2.

Interestingly, for boys, Hindus and Muslims have parity in Bengal’s rural regions, according to NSSO. For every 1,000 Hindu male rural students, 5 will complete post-graduation, the same figure for Muslim boys in rural areas.

The overall data reflects the social classes and traditions of Bengal society. Times of India noted that in this conservative province, “Muslims tend to form the bulk of casual laborers and the self-employed class in urban Bengal. Hindus tend to form the core of the salaried class. In rural Bengal, too, Muslims tend to form most of the agricultural and other laborers.” In addition, in rural Bengal, “more Hindus are self-employed in agriculture, while more Muslims are landless laborers. The latter also comprise most of the marginal landowners, compared to Hindus.

NSSO also revealed that unemployment for Muslims in India is edging downward, but this is somewhat misleading since many Muslims are self-employed and are not even included among the salaried class of workers. In Urban India, only 30.4 percent of Muslims belong to the established workforce

Rakesh Basant, professor of economics at the Indian Institute of Management-Ahmedabad, told FirstPost that Muslims are forced into self-employment due to low educational attainments. “There are not many good schools in Muslim neighborhoods [or in] many [other] marginalized communities,” he said. “This is a problem in [the] supply side. Participation in education goes up when supply of educational institutions is addressed.

Professor Abusaleh Shariff, of Centre for Research and Debates in Development policy, New Delhi and a visiting scholar to US India Policy Institute in Washington DC, also attributes discrimination to the plight of Indian Muslims. “They [Muslims] do not get jobs [corresponding to the] qualifications, both due of market imperfections and also due to bias in the system,” he said. Even in rural area, they do not even get employment under the [government’s National Rural Employment Guarantee Act project].”

https://www.ibtimes.com/surprise-su...oorest-worst-educated-religious-group-1392849

Last edited:
[FONT="q_serif"]The Indian Muslims account for 14.4 percent of the total Indian population yet are among the poorest segment. The Sachar committee report (for year 2004-05) claims that as much as 31 percent, precisely one-third of Indian Muslims were dwelling below poverty line. The various reports depict the financial position of this community of Indian population.

[FONT="q_serif"]
This alarming percentage imposes a big question mark on the status of Indian Muslims. The causes of this poverty include educational lags wherein the dropout rates in Muslim students are large and a large percentage of the community does not pursue graduate and post graduate education. It is largely disturbing that around 20 per cent of the students in the age group of 7-14 years are drop outs.The factor of education, however, is not the only one worth mentioning and blamed upon because among Urban Muslims, only 30.4 percent form the workforce. This percentage is a testimony to the fact that there are other reasons that have led to this financial degradation of Indian Muslims which includes the political conditions of the country as well as general bias that is a bitter fact.[/FONT]

https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-Indian-Muslims-are-below-poverty-line#

[/FONT]

It pains for me to think why we jump into religion, when we talk about human suffering. Poverty and disease do not discriminate humans on the basis of their religious belief.

It is my strong belief one of the greatest political blunders perpetrated on this great nation was to divide the Country on religious basis. It was estimated about 14 million people were exchanged between the two (three) parts of the Country on religious basis and 2 million innocent lives of Hindu, Sikh and Muslims were lost in the process. Even after 70 years of partition the simmering discontent among the communities continue at different levels. Now it has come down to Caste groups !

We should understand India is a Union of multi ethnic, language, race and religious entities. All it needs is functional independence for States and a strong Central Government to take care of the Constitutional guarantees. Our original Constitution is drafted on this principle only. If we read the original directive principles, we will understand this. Our Constitution drafters have drawn detailed guidelines to the State to follow in Part IV of the Constitution under the Directive Principles of State Policy. Although the Directive Principles are asserted to be fundamental in the governance of the country, they are not legally enforceable. Unfortunately our Constitution has undergone frequent amendments to suit the convenience of the ruling parties the intention of original Constitution has changed.
However in our Constitution nowhere we will find special status for any religion.

This is a vast subject, I wish more members share their views.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

It pains for me to think why we jump into religion, when we talk about human suffering. Poverty and disease do not discriminate humans on the basis of their religious belief.

It is my strong belief one of the greatest political blunders perpetrated on this great nation was to divide the Country on religious basis. It was estimated about 14 million people were exchanged between the two (three) parts of the Country on religious basis and 2 million innocent lives of Hindu, Sikh and Muslims were lost in the process. Even after 70 years of partition the simmering discontent among the communities continue at different levels. Now it has come down to Caste groups !

We should understand India is a Union of multi ethnic, language, race and religious entities. All it needs is functional independence for States and a strong Central Government to take care of the Constitutional guarantees. Our original Constitution is drafted on this principle only. If we read the original directive principles, we will understand this. Our Constitution drafters have drawn detailed guidelines to the State to follow in Part IV of the Constitution under the Directive Principles of State Policy. Although the Directive Principles are asserted to be fundamental in the governance of the country, they are not legally enforceable. Unfortunately our Constitution has undergone frequent amendments to suit the convenience of the ruling parties the intention of original Constitution has changed.
However in our Constitution nowhere we will find special status for any religion.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
hi sir,
many politicians/political parties never care about original constitution....many political parties based on caste/religious based..

just vote bank based on religious.....this indian politics today....vote bank and majority based democracy...

The deterioration of india from a land of multi ethnic, language,caste and religious groups to a one of land for hindu majority alone with other religions getting discriminated

against and some castes getting marginalised has to be viewed with concern.Violence being let loose on those practising other faiths,caste atrocities ,crimes against women

is becoming common place. Indian society is sick.Who can change these new realities.What kind of country are we leaving for our youngsters?.To say that the The political

class has to take the blame for this state of affairs is unwise. We have elected them to fill our legislatures and parliament.

In nineteen nineties we opened out to the world too fast with disastrous consequences for the marginalised sections of our society.With affluence mainly reaching the well off, we

propounded trickle down theories that the poorer sections will also prosper. All this was a disaster for our rural folks and urban poor.We require a new model of

decentralised planning with large rural communities participating in development process.Central govt and bureaucrats should not concentrate all powers in their hands.

A more federal type structure with state, district level functionaries should be made to participate in planning and execution of projects and programs.I hope some fresh

and new thinking emerges .

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Do we have the liberty to say who was responsible for partition and the subsequent mass killings?

The deterioration of india from a land of multi ethnic, language,caste and religious groups to a one of land for hindu majority alone with other religions getting discriminated

against and some castes getting marginalised has to be viewed with concern.Violence being let loose on those practising other faiths,caste atrocities ,crimes against women

is becoming common place. Indian society is sick.Who can change these new realities.What kind of country are we leaving for our youngsters?.To say that the The political

class has to take the blame for this state of affairs is unwise. We have elected them to fill our legislatures and parliament.

In nineteen nineties we opened out to the world too fast with disastrous consequences for the marginalised sections of our society.With affluence mainly reaching the well off, we

propounded trickle down theories that the poorer sections will also prosper. All this was a disaster for our rural folks and urban poor.We require a new model of

decentralised planning with large rural communities participating in development process.Central govt and bureaucrats should not concentrate all powers in their hands.

A more federal type structure with state, district level functionaries should be made to participate in planning and execution of projects and programs.I hope some fresh
and new thinking emerges .

Very well analysed message. The system of elections accepted by our Constitution framers known as First-past-the-post voting (FPTP) also known as a plurality voting method has a lot of limitations. India, one of the most diverse nations in the world, was never a suitable candidate for majority government elected in FPTP. If we analyse the percentage of votes obtained by the winning candidate vis-a-vis the total number of voters, we will understand this Country is always not ruled by majority. In the long run each Country has to evolve its own system of Democracy.

"Mahatma Gandhi advocated Panchayat Raj, a decentralised form of Government where each village is responsible for its own affairs, as the foundation of India's political system. The term for such a vision was Gram Swaraj ("village self-governance")."
The last two paragraphs of your message echoes this.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Wait until you have your own grandkids!

May you be blessed with many!

hi sir,
many politicians/political parties never care about original constitution....many political parties based on caste/religious based..

just vote bank based on religious.....this indian politics today....vote bank and majority based democracy...

Even Nehru did not care about constitution. He just wanted to be PM at any cost.

When thousands died during riots in 1947, what was Nehru doing?

Though it seems counter-intuitive, India is actually now better off without Pakistan and Bangladesh.

No personal attacks please.

Latest ads

Back