• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Modi Sarkar: How did they falter so badly & mess up the economy?

First off I am totally against BJP for its communal and divisive agenda. It has absolutely no place in a progressive country.

Having said that lets analyse this further.

Modi and BJP came on a singular development agenda never before seen in our history.

So having come on such strong development agenda, how could they have messed up the economy and taken the country backwards ?

I mean even if they didnt deliver on sky high promises people would not have bothered. They instead destroyed large swathes of the informal economy and pushed our farmers and traders into deep distress and poverty. Instead of "acche din" it is "bure din" for our people !!!

Shocking isn't it!! So what went wrong ?

It cannot be incompetence as our ministers historically have been poorly educated with very little knowledge on governance.

Our bureaucrats led by IAS have been in the forefront of all decisions both good and bad policies. So they have held forte for all the political administrations from day 1. I absolutely do not believe that the bureaucrats faltered as we are dealing with basic economics not some advanced derivatives.

Most importantly it is not.possible for the political leaders to come up with detailed policies and ask the burecrats to implement. Since they have always depended on the bureaucrats to draft them even if the ideas came from the political class.

So the big question is how did they go ahead with demonerisation and gst when the entire country opposed it ??

Most economists openly said dont do it, it will bring down the economy. And the shock is that they pushed out a stalwart RBI governor Raghuram Rajan when he opposed it. Anyone with economic background would have seen this disaster coming.

Imagine if any of us were to do it, we would have backed out under such overwhelming opposition.

So did Modi push it forward single handedly? Or did arun jaitley push this bill ?

I am sure someone with inside track will write the true story some day.

In the meanwhile my outside assessment -

Only possible explanation - bureaucrats strongly supported this decision and gave sufficient confidence to the political leaders.

I mean as a CEO I will go ahead with controversial decisions if my team has worked on the detailing and convinces me that the decision is right in the long term

But why would bureaucrats set up this new govt for such monumental failure?? And this will surely cost them the 2019 elections.

So we need to go back to the initial days of this govt.

BJP won all the 7 loksabha seats in Delhi in 2014. And when they took power they were very tough on the bureaucrats by all media accounts. They pushed them to come by 9 am to office etc...show performance reports etc.. BJP ministers; did not understand governance and they went overboard.

They clearly alienated the entire Delhi bureacrazy and lost the assembly elections by 67 - 3 held in 4 to 5 months of the loksabha elections. How can you win by a massive landslide of 7 out of 7 seats and then lose 67 to 3 in just under 6 months?. Obviously all bureaucrats, their families and other corrupt supporters ganged up and voted against them.

In the above context it is easy to say - these bureaucrats ( I call them bandicoots..lol) with a vengeance pushed the disastrous demonerisation bill and convinced the political leaders saying we have been in the govt for 40+ yrs exp and we know better than Raghuram Rajan who is here for 3 yrs. And hours and hours of debates on this decision

This is the only way this govt could have gone ahead against such monumental opposition!!

Not only they convinced on implementing a disastrous policy, they ensured they were totally unprepared. They did not even print enough new notes to.replace the old notes leading to a massive nation wide crisis. I mean why the hell would you not print enough notes? What is the risk in this? Any way the printing presses know the new notes as coming as they have printed large nos.

One can understand ATMs going dry as all banks will have to be notified in advance. But why were the central banks not given the full replacement cash reserve?

On top of this they came up with 2000 note instead of 1000 note replacement. This lead to massive problems as people just could not exchange 2000 note, it was very large denomination.

Just as the economy was trying to recover from the demon disaster, they convinced the political leadership to implement GST saying economy will boom. Another unprepared and disastrous implementation.

Until the GST is reversed like in Malaysia, this economy will not recover. Govt will not reverse as it will be a open ack. a huge political and economic failure.

To me this parallels the legendary chanakyan rout of the Nandas after they insulted him.

In this mess of this politics a vibrant economy was destroyed. And a govt that came on such mandate and once thought will rule for 25 yrs bringing unprecedented prosperity to Indians have bitten the dust !!

Most importantly it is a huge tragedy for the country and enormous suffering for our people.

Our country is truly cursed and our people suffer terrible fate year after year relentlessly. Just when we thought we were doing well and in 10 yrs we may even abolish poverty, a large majority of our people have been pushed into the abyss !!!!

Only God has to help our people!!!

Last edited:
Renukaji can explain how GST messed up the Malaysian economy. Salute the New PM Muhathir Mohammed for having the guts to reverse the junk GST on day 1 !!!

Scrapping GST is good politics and bad economics! Recently GST on Sanitarypads scrapped - but may not aid local markets!

‘A 5% tax would have helped; now, imports will be cheaper’

The Union government’s decision to scrap the goods and services tax (GST) on sanitary napkins is unlikely to result in a proportionate reduction in costs, according to an expert.

https://www.thehindu.com/business/I...-may-not-aid-local-makers/article24497209.ece

If you go through the talks of Auditor Gurumurthy ( who is a hard core RSS Man ) his version is different that the Economy had to be deliberately disrupted to avoid a huge failure later and he blames the UPA for creating this mess of bringing in an economy that resulted only in Inflation of Assett Prices ( Gold , Stocks , Real Estate ) without creating proper jobs at the local level . But Gurumurthy does agree that Demonetisation could have been handled better and same with GST .
Dr.Subramania Swamy who is close to BJP and Modi has a different prescription for curing this economic mess and no 2 experts seem to agree .I am not an expert to give my comments on this but one thing for sure - black money has started to freely flow through new currency notes and through Gold biscuits .

GST will not work in a country like india. Most of the small traders are uneducated and now they have to learn English or Hindi or local language and the file 100s of forms via internet or mobile.

Come on folks..who has time for this scrap???

When VAT was working so well and revenues were buoyant who asked these guys to implement a broken GST system??

It has throttled the economy with huge amount of red tape paper work !!!

GST has to go...we need a leader like Muhathir who can take such bold decision to reverse something that is not working.

Do you know the GST team is sitting over 100 crore open invoices because the system is unable to match them. They have tto do this manually.

So delaying the input credit payment back to the traders. Exporters are suffering for months!!!

GST will not work in a country like india. Most of the small traders are uneducated and now they have to learn English or Hindi or local language and the file 100s of forms via internet or mobile.

Come on folks..who has time for this scrap???

When VAT was working so well and revenues were buoyant who asked these guys to implement a broken GST system??

It has throttled the economy with huge amount of red tape paper work !!!

GST has to go...we need a leader like Muhathir who can take such bold decision to reverse something that is not working.
hi

who knows...ppl may fed up.....like trump...removing obama era policies....next govt may remove/scrap bjp policies...

i think ..indian voters are smart to remove anybody/any party...

With the exit of foreign economic advisers , another group of swadeshi economists have taken over.

Globalisation is dead and policies are inward looking.

But centralisation with GST is making state govts worthless as the powers have got concentrated in the centre.

Devolution to state level is just not taking place.

Some decisons regarding GST like reducing the numbers of slabs of taxes and reducing the maximum to 18% will have a positive effect.

More have become tax compliant.

India is still a bright star among the emerging nations.

Our share markets are booming inspite of US china trade war.

More well off indians are enjoying abroad with multiple passports and citizenships.

It is only the farming class and urban and rural poor have something to complain about.

At no time these classes did not complain irrespective of govt in power.

They have got used to freebies and not work hard for a living.

Tax reforms and procedures going in the right directions I filed my returns on 2nd july and is already processed I got sms notification 143(1) just now though the dead line date for filing is 31st July. The refund is on the way!

Tax reforms and procedures going in the right directions I filed my returns on 2nd july and is already processed I got sms notification 143(1) just now though the dead line date for filing is 31st July. The refund is on the way!

I filed my Mothers IT Return least week and it went smoothly . For normal Urban Middle Class people having income through salaries , pension and interest from Banks etc the filing is quite smooth and easy . Plus now many sites have come that make this process more easier for a fee and that is OK . One just need to file it early and not wait till end of July to avoid the last minute rush and the servers will be very busy .

If one has invested in shares ,they have to take care of capital gains both short and long term .This can be a bother.Best use professionals to file returns. They can also help in

finding the income tax clauses which reduce the tax burden.There is a need for increasing the exemption limits for senior citizen. Parking money in saving instruments to save

tax with high inflation is only depreciating money.Spending it is a better option.

Amendment to IT act every year is pain ! I would support Dr Swamy in his crusade against IT We should be celebrating Adi focusing on தள்ளு படி at Saravana Stores rather than filing tax returns govt inflicted torture!

Don't you think this is good administration? Then why so many complaints about taxes?

I too have got easy refunds for the last 2 years.

Things are much better in India now compared to 10 years ago.

Next is election year. So Govt should be seen as doing something.

Also every time a change is made related to finance someone makes a killing in the share market.

Whoever leaks the change makes money on that.

Recently reductions were made in GST rates of many articles of day to day domestic use like footwear ,sanitary pads {to please women folk].

All such measures make shares of some companies attractive .

When changes are daily, it gives the impression that we have an adhoc govt thriving on populism

Latest ads

Back