• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What will be my vedam

What if they dnt know 'Abhivadaye' . Just curious. Nowadays many persons dnt know their vedam, sub sect, gothra, kula deva etc etc

Somewhere I have read that if you don't know your gothram, the priests will consider yours as 'kashyapa' gothram, since Kashyapa prajapati is considered the common ancestor of all beings. I don't know how accurate this is.

It was just a guess. I saw many Palakkad Brahmins having Sama veda with Bharadwaj gotra.

I think it is kind of unfortunate that this is the state of the affairs today. Leave alone the religious aspects. The Gothra is just a reminder of who your great great ... Grandfather of yours was and quoting it in Abivadheye is just an acknowledgement of this fact. If they didn't exist you wouldn't be here today. Now, Let's say we are more "advanced" in thinking - A very scientifically oriented society, given only to reason. Let's Super fast forward to the future. Say we are ok with a dystopic future with "mass manufactured" babies ( with serial numbers ) and we purchase babies with advanced "cool" features in which case the Gothras doesn't make sense. Now, Even in such a world you would still have some consistency in the serial numbers. For e.g the serial numbers could carry the "batch" in which a particular baby was mass produced. Its some identification. Just in case something went wrong. You could recall the whole batch! In such a future Abivadheye is just a serial number. I such a world you would feel happy if you are Version X with cool advanced features and not poor old Version 6Plus! Even in such a world you would feel something to be proud of your "then" Abivadheye ( Serial number). So Better know your "current" Abivadhye so you can be proud of something!!

hi

i did one thing in my life...i put my son's name as BHARADWAJ.....nobody like this name including my wife...his school /birth certificate

name BHARADWAJ.....not any god's name/or some elders name....my wish that ..atleast he has to know his GOTHRA...

he may not able to say abhivadaye.....but he can remember his gothra name...

What if they dnt know 'Abhivadaye' . Just curious. Nowadays many persons dnt know their vedam, sub sect, gothra, kula deva etc etc

If they do Sandhyavandanam at least irregularly, they will not easily forget Abhivadaye.

If they don't get to do Sandhyavandanam even once, then that's their fate...perhaps the farseeing Rishis of their Gotras wished that such-and-such descendants of their line don't deserve to take their name :)

If they do Sandhyavandanam at least irregularly, they will not easily forget Abhivadaye.

If they don't get to do Sandhyavandanam even once, then that's their fate...perhaps the farseeing Rishis of their Gotras wished that such-and-such descendants of their line don't deserve to take their name :)
:thumb:

We have discussed Gotram various times in this site.

https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=17145&p=248058#post248058

There is no lineage to any rishis.
If A shatriya in Uttar Pradesh Can have the same gothram as a Brahmin in Tamil Nadu there is no way they can have a common ancestor.

The Gortram as lineage is Wrong, at best it is like an alumnus. Maybe the ancestors went to the same Rishi's school.

In the court case "Madhavrao vs Raghavendrarao" which involved a Deshastha Brahmin couple, the German scholar Max Mueller's definition of gotra as descending from eight sages and then branching out to several families was thrown out by reputed judges of a Bombay High Court. The court called the idea of Brahmin families descending from an unbroken line of common ancestors as indicated by the names of their respective gotras "impossible to accept." The court consulted relevant Hindu texts and stressed the need for Hindu society and law to keep up with the times, emphasizing that notions of good social behavior and the general ideology of the Hindu society had changed. The court also said that the mass of material in the Hindu texts is so vast and full of contradictions that it is almost an impossible task to reduce it to order and coherence.

https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=17145&p=248573#post248573

GOTHRAM is derived from noun GO + rootverb TRA of Sanskrit which
means -> Cow + Protect. Earlier, 'Gothram' used to be a place
where cattle were protected and reared, usually in hermiatge premises
or AASHRAMAs, since dairy products were much useful for YAJNA or
fire sacrifice. In simple meaning, A GOTRA is a cattle rearing group,
identified with the head of the group, obviously a sage.
Naturally, the same group had parents, brothers, sisters, blood
relatives and were much similar in activities and culture or customs.

Again we are digressing from the OP.:focus:

Last edited:
I am sorry NO one gave the answer to the original post.
Instead of criticising the poster, try to get an answer.

Dear Balaji,
You should ask some male relatives on your father's side as to what Vedam they use and adopt that as your vedam.

Last edited:
I am sorry NO one gave the answer to the original post.
Instead of criticising the poster, try to get an answer.

I already gave an answer as per my knowledge to the query of the original poster on Vedam. Who is criticising the OP or any other poster? Are you referring to this thread or something else.

Last edited:
I already gave an answer as per my knowledge to the query of the original poster on Vedam. Who is criticising the OP or any other poster? Are you referring to this thread or something else.

Sir,
You tend to be argumentative.

I did not point finger at you in particular.

Who said that? Is it not condescending remark? You might think it is funny just because you have a smiley at the end, but it can be hurtful.

Last edited:
Dear Prasad Sir,

No need to get upset! :)

Won't a person know that the elders from father's side should be

knowing their vēdam?

I wonder why the Q is posted here!

Dear Prasad Sir,

No need to get upset! :)

Won't a person know that the elders from father's side should be

knowing their vēdam?

I wonder why the Q is posted here!

I am not upset.
I tend to ignore KNRji's post, but to chide someone for not doing their Sandyanavandanam, or not knowing their "culture" is not cool.

A question is asked in the open forum, assuming it is a legitimate query, we should try to address it to the best of our ability. There is no room for talking down to someone just because it is elementary.

I am not upset.
I tend to ignore KNRji's post, but to chide someone for not doing their Sandyanavandanam, or not knowing their "culture" is not cool.

A question is asked in the open forum, assuming it is a legitimate query, we should try to address it to the best of our ability. There is no room for talking down to someone just because it is elementary.

I think there are two threads of discussion here.
One is what the original poster asked for. It is not an answer one can get from the public who can only offer guesses.

Is knowing Gotra and Vedam really all about identity?

or there is more to it.

Mr KRN and Raji Madam steered the discussion to offer opinions why such questions arise. That is a legitimate discussion topic and does not require criticism.

I have interacted with Mr KRN in some of the threads to know he is not argumentative. He does take time to research and offer answers & analysis.
He also never attacked a poster.

The best any of us can do is to offer value added discussions here.

Sir,

Looks like you are confused. Nobody talked down the OP "balasoundiram" or his query. A few including myself, offered replies as per their knowledge.

I was surprised to see your statement "NO one gave the answer to the original post" and wondered whether you were referring to some other thread. So that's why I asked you.

Then there was a question from another poster "swamiinathan". In his post he has clearly stated that the question is asked just out of curiosity. So it could be treated like any general topic of discussion, not connected to any poster. If he had asked it from a personal angle, my response would have been different.

Mr. a-TB I can have a conversation with KRNji, we are both adults.
You need not take sides.
Thanks.

Have no clue what you are taking about, Mr Prasad.

There are no sides.

I think calling someone argumentative or saying you are ignoring their post is not of interest to the discussion underway.

Such comments derail threads. It is best to take such comments offline. I was trying to make that point earlier.

I do not know who KRN is anymore than I know who you are. We are members sharing our views. Let us get back to discussion if any from such distractions.

Mr. a-TB I can have a conversation with KRNji, we are both adults.
You need not take sides.
Thanks.

Prasad ji,

In the same token, I can have a conversation "Swaminathan". Both of us are adults. So what business do you have to foist your "misinterpretations" on my message addressed to him and to make unwarranted personal attacks?

You stated "I tend to ignore KNRji's post" and now state "I can have a conversation with KRNji". So how is that possible :)

As stated by Sri a-TB, I too don't see any "sides" here. But if you want to range yourself against "KRN's side", that's your headache.

Mr KRN and Raji Madam steered the discussion to offer opinions why such questions arise. That is a legitimate discussion topic and does not require criticism.

I have interacted with Mr KRN in some of the threads to know he is not argumentative. He does take time to research and offer answers & analysis.
He also never attacked a poster.

The best any of us can do is to offer value added discussions here.

Sir,
I am touched by your quick response to a personal attack on me and the supportive comments you gave in my defence. Thank you.

Latest ads

Back