• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

BrhadAranyaka Upanishad - sloka 1.4.2 and Sloka 1.4.3

Sloka 1.4.2

sa abibhet

tasmād ekākī bibheti;

sa ha ayam īkṣāṃ cakre,

yat mad anyan nāsti,

kaṣma annu bibhema īti,

tata evāsya bhayaṃ vīyāya,

kasma addhyabheṣyat

dvitīyādvai bhayaṃ bhavati

Translation

That (sa) became very fearful (abibhet).

From that (tasmAt) being alone (ekAki) got afraid (bibheti).

That (sa) this (ayam) made (cakre) a glance (iksam).

when (yat) myself (mad) nothing else exist (anyan na asti) what (kasma) indeed (addhya) causes fear (abheSyat).

From being two (dvityAdvai) fear manifests (bhayam bhavati)

Meaning

From being alone, the manas gets afraid. Then it glances itself. 'When none else other than me exists, what indeed causes fear..? Fear comes from being two".

What is fear..?

When there is nothing else apart from the 'manas', there is no fear. Fear arises only when there is more than the 'manas'.

We can correlate this with ourselves. When we are all by ourselves, we don't fear. When our actions are synchronized with 'manas', when our actions are focused from the 'manas', we don't fear. We have only one thought and when we have only one thought there is no fear.

Fear arises when we are not synchronized or focused with manas. In that case more than one thought appears. When there are more than one thought, there is a clash between the thoughts. This clash between the thoughts causes 'fear'.

At the origins of Universe, there was only Atma. There was nothing else. There was nothing to fear.

Sloka 1.4.3

sa va na iva reme,

tasmād ekākī na ramate;

sa dvitīya ma icchat |

sa haitāvānāsa yathā strīpumāṃsau sampariṣvaktau;

sa imam eva atmānaṃ dvedha apātayat,

tataḥ patiśca patnī ca abhavatām;

tasmāt idam ardha bṛgalam iva svaḥ iti ha smāha yājñavalkyaḥ;

tasmād ayam ākāśaḥ striyā pūryata eva;

tāṃ samabhavat tato manuṣyā ajāyanta

That (Sa) certainly (va) not (na) alone (iva) the enjoyer (reme).

Therefore (tasmAt) solitary/alone (ekaki) na (not) enjoy (ramate).

That (Sa) desired (icchat) being two (dvitiyaya).

That (Sa) certainly there (ha ita) having the feature of (vAnAsa) as/like (yathA) female-male nature (stri puma amsam) closely embraced (samparisvaktau).

That (Sa) here (imam) alone (eva) Atmanam (Atmanam) two-fold (dvedha) tore apart/extract (apAtayat).

There/then (tata) the husband and wife (pati ca patni) manifested (abhavatAm).

Therefore (tasmAt) here (idam) half (ardha) fragmented/piece (brgalam) like (iva) one's own (svah) thus (iti) indeed/certainly (sma) says (aha) Yājñavalkya,

Therefore/then (tasmAt) this (ayam) vacuum/ empty space (AkAsa) women (striya) completeness/satisfcation (puryata) certainly (eva)

From those generated/appeared (samabhavat) there (tata) the manuSya took birth (ajAyanta).

There is nothing to enjoy when being alone. Hence the desire to be two manifests. The Atma has the feature of a male-female in close embrace. That Atma tore them apart separating the male and female. Yajnavalkya says the two are like half-fragments of each other. The female fills up the empty space or vacuum. From that manuSya take birth.

Meaning

Being absolutely solitary there is no 'fear'. So when Atma is all alone, there is no fear. But there can be no 'enjoyment' also. So 'desire' manifested for a being two, so that enjoyment can happen. The nature of Atma is that of a male-female in close embrace.

So the solitary Atma tore apart, into two-fold. Thus the Purusha (Pati) and Prakrti (Patni) manifested.

Yajnavalkya is a 'sage' or Rishi. Valkya means a speaker. Yajna valkya is a 'speaker' about the Yajna's. The 'sage' got the name Yajnavalkya, because he is the first one to speak of the (teach the) Vajasaneyi Samhita of Shukla Yajur Veda.

Yajnavalkya says this tearing apart is like two pieces/fragments similar to each other. From this the entire 'empty space or vacuum' is completed/filled with Stri (Prakrti) certainly. From those generated out of this Stri manuSya appeared. AkAsa is empty space or vacuum.

So what are the Purusha and Stri that are similar to each other that were tore apart by the Atma..? What is that Stri that fills up the vacuum and also that gives birth to manuSya.? Who are the manuSya..?

-TBT

Last edited:
Prior to creation when It was Eko' ham ( I am One/ Alone) that time there was no Fear.

When creation happened..Eko' ham Bahusyam( I am One I became many)...then Fears came into existence.

Diagonis: We are the Cosmic Neuro-Psychosis of God! LOL

Prior to creation when It was Eko' ham ( I am One/ Alone) that time there was no Fear.

When creation happened..Eko' ham Bahusyam( I am One I became many)...then Fears came into existence.

Diagonis: We are the Cosmic Neuro-Psychosis of God! LOL

Well that's the opposite. Purusha and Stri were not born out of neuro-psychosis, not born out of trauma. They were born out of 'iccha', desire, the desire to enjoy and be enjoyed.

-TBT

Well that's the opposite. Purusha and Stri were not born out of neuro-psychosis, not born out of trauma. They were born out of 'iccha', desire, the desire to enjoy and be enjoyed.

-TBT

Narcissists...excessive desires to be admired!
Enjoyment involves admiration too..

God must be insane!

Hmm..

'excessive' is relative. When nothing else existed for comparison, what is excessive..?

The manifestation of pairs happens to be the enjoyer and enjoyed, admirer and the admired, to be the lover and loved. In human parlance, Sanity is being both. Insane is being only one (just be the loved without loving, be the enjoyer without being enjoyed, be the admired without admiring).

-TBT

Latest ads

Back