• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why Hindu Mythological hero's were born of Extra Martial relations?

prasad1

My apologies if it hurts your sensibilities.
I posting it in general discussion.

[h=4]Bhagavadgita 1.41-43[/h]"With the emergence of adharma, O Krishna, women become impure. And when women fall into bad ways, O descendent of Vrisni, admixture of castes takes place."The intermixture of castes lead the destroyers of the family and also the family to hell. The ancestors (in heaven) also fall, as they do not receive the ritualistic offerings of food and water due to them."Because of the misdeeds of these destroyers of family and order of the castes, the order (dharma) of the community and of the family are permanently destroyed.

In spite of stanza like this.
There were extra Martial relations in all Hindu Mythologies. ( I am sure it happened in other cultures too).

With Vichitravirya having died of sickness, Bhishma unable to take the throne because of his vow, and Bahlika's line unwilling to leave Bahlika Kingdom, there was a succession crisis in Hastinapur. Satyavati then invited her son Vyasa to impregnate the queens Ambika and Ambalika under the Niyoga practice. When Vyasa approached Ambalika, she got frightened due to his scary appearance, she had become pale in disgust; hence, her son was born pale. Thus Pandu's name.

Kunti was the mother of Karna and the first three Pandava brothers Yudhishthira, Bhima, Arjuna. None of them were born in wedlock. (Extra Martial Relation).

Matri was the mother of Makula and Shadeva again by extramarital relation.

Wikipedia.com

Rama, Lakshman, Bharat, and Shatrughan all were born of extramarital (I assume, there is a hint of that but no direct) proof.

Dasharath performed two yajnas with the help of Sage Rishyasringa on the advice of Vasishtha.
One was Ashwamedha and other was Putrakameshti. It is said that Dasharath and Kaushalya had a daughter Shanta, who was Rishyashringa's wife. As the conclusion of the Yagna drew near, Agni sprang out from the yagnakunda (sacrificial fire pit) and handed Dasharatha a pot of kheer (payasa), advising him to distribute it among his queens.
Kaushalya ate half the kheer, Sumitra ate a quarter of it. Kaikeyi ate some and passed the pot back to Sumitra who consumed the kheer for the second time.
Thus the princes were conceived after the consumption of the kheer. Since Kaushalya had consumed the largest portion she gave birth to Rama. Kaikeyi gave birth to Bharata. Sumitra gave birth to Lakshmana and Shatrughna.

There might be a hidden meaning, but I do not get it.

Its like Greek mythology too where heros are Demi Gods...only mother is human and father is some God who has a liasion with a human female.

Lets see..who wrote all these stories?
Men right?
May be deep down inside each male wants to be God/Deva ..they feel a human status is just too ordinary hence they imagine being God or Deva and then start to fantasize that every human female will fancy them!

Its like how some men with money feel they can get any female likewise men feel being a God they can get any female.

The strange thing is as males are promised Apsaras or 72 Virgins in heaven but the Devas are busy impregnating human females on earth in Hindu Mythology and Greek Mythology.
Why this grass is greener on the other Loka concept?

Just say as a female I start to write Puranas..I would surely imagine the female to be a Devi who is hot and fertile that she can make males pregnant by her gaze and breed a race of demigods.
But do we find such godesses in Hindu mythology?

No we dont! Cos a male wrote it..even though enough Devi texts has shades of sensuality where a goddesses small waist bending forward becos her breasts weigh a ton owing to the fact it rivals the frontal proturberance of an elephants head( hey..i am not making this up)...then after a 50 shades of sensuality the Godess is made to be a Mother figure ! LOL..that too hopelesly devoted to her Hubby! But the Hubby is free to take on biwis as Sayujyam habibis!

Its all imagination finally...i dont think that any of the Mahabharat heroes or anyone for the matter were demigods.
Everyone was human.
Made to be demi gods.

Its like Greek mythology too where heros are Demi Gods...only mother is human and father is some God who has a liasion with a human female.

Men right?
May be deep down inside each male wants to be God/Deva ..they feel a human status is just too ordinary hence they imagine being God or Deva and then start to fantasize that every human female will fancy them!

Its like how some men with money feel they can get any female likewise men feel being a God they can get any female.

The strange thing is as males are promised Apsaras or 72 Virgins in heaven but the Devas are busy impregnating human females on earth in Hindu Mythology and Greek Mythology.

Just say as a female I start to write Puranas..I would surely imagine the female to be a Devi who is hot and fertile that she can make males pregnant by her gaze and breed a race of demigods.

No we dont! Cos a male wrote it..even though enough Devi texts has shades of sensuality where a goddesses small waist bending forward becos her breasts weigh a ton owing to the fact it rivals the frontal proturberance of an elephants head( hey..i am not making this up)...then after a 50 shades of sensuality the Godess is made to be a Mother figure ! LOL..that too hopelesly devoted to her Hubby! But the Hubby is free to take on biwis as Sayujyam habibis!

Its all imagination finally...i dont think that any of the Mahabharat heroes or anyone for the matter were demigods.
Everyone was human.
Made to be demi gods.

Agreed Doctor,

But let us see what the famous female Anthropologist Margaret Mead has to say in her book "Male and Female", who colourfully explains,

"Before marriage, it is the girl who decides whether she will or will not meet her lover under the palm-tree, or receive him with necessary precautions into her house, or in her bed… He may woo and plead, he sends gifts and pretty speeches by an intermediary, but the final choice remains in the hands of the girl.… A mood, a whim, a slight disinclination, and the boy is disappointed."

So this is a two way traffic. We cannot put the entire blame only on the male of the species.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

This is perhaps the most controversial section of the Gita.

I find it strange that "admixture of castes" is being blamed solely on the "fallen women". Surely the rishis knew that it takes two to tango!

I agree with Renukaji, that these words were obviously written by males. Perhaps God is male after all!

Agreed Doctor,

But let us see what the famous female Anthropologist Margaret Mead has to say in her book "Male and Female", who colourfully explains,

"Before marriage, it is the girl who decides whether she will or will not meet her lover under the palm-tree, or receive him with necessary precautions into her house, or in her bed… He may woo and plead, he sends gifts and pretty speeches by an intermediary, but the final choice remains in the hands of the girl.… A mood, a whim, a slight disinclination, and the boy is disappointed."

So this is a two way traffic. We cannot put the entire blame only on the male of the species.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sir..

Its not really blaming the male species but religious text were penned mostly by males..that too heterosexual males..so what we got is only their views and how do we really know that is the only view that echoes the truth?

If an Advaitic concept of God is a Nirguna One but a Vishithadvaitic concept of God is a Polygamistic One
What is finally reality?

Hence everything is called Matam..meaning an opinion.

So we only know Matams but not reality( if it even exists)

I find it strange that "admixture of castes" is being blamed solely on the "fallen women". Surely the rishis knew that it takes two to tango!

I agree with Renukaji, that these words were obviously written by males. Perhaps God is male after all!

The blame is on " fallen women" becos only maternity is a certainity.

No DNA test back then.

Agreed Doctor,

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Margret Mead is, relatively of modern times that too from western world.
My original posts is about ancient Hindu texts, that too of the great epics.

Renukaji,

I agree that Greek and Roman heroes were Demi-Gods. But their mothers were not having affairs on the side.

Secondly nowhere else "kula" and "lineage" was stressed as much as Hindu Culture.

None of Hindu Heroes had any lineage, so probably no Gothra either. (going by DNA).

Margret Mead is, relatively of modern times that too from western world.
My original posts is about ancient Hindu texts, that too of the great epics.

Renukaji,

I agree that Greek and Roman heroes were Demi-Gods. But their mothers were not having affairs on the side.

Secondly nowhere else "kula" and "lineage" was stressed as much as Hindu Culture.

None of Hindu Heroes had any lineage, so probably no Gothra either. (going by DNA).

But Kuntis and Madris conception was with consent of Pandu.

Not too sure of the mothers of Pandu and Dhritsrastra..they didnt seemed thrilled..one turned pale and the other closed her eyes..

But again no logic..most humans close their eyes at heights of passion yet majority of us are not born blind.

It must be some genetic disorder from either Veda Vyasa or from the queens that showed up in Pandu and Dhrits...but Vidura was born normal tru the maid servant.

So God knows whose genes were defective!

True..None of them had human fathers so No Gotra.

But Kuntis and Madris conception was with consent of Pandu.

Still out of wedlock, and Kunti had a baby even before marriage.
Babies are not born unless there is conception, we all know about birds and bees.
Either the stories are made up and the authors were not very honest, or else......

Still out of wedlock, and Kunti had a baby even before marriage.
Babies are not born unless there is conception, we all know about birds and bees.
Either the stories are made up and the authors were not very honest, or else......

May be marriage and fidelity was not over rated back then.
Going by logic..how can a Deva impregnate a woman?
He either has to implant his DNA sans sexual intercourse ..like how a doc performs insemination donor.

If the Deva goes natural then he has to take on a physical body.
Do Devas have a physical body?

Then again Kauravas were 100 of them..doesnt make sense to be born from one mother.

Also it has a twist that is Gandhari threw the lump of flesh and it was later preserved and developed into 100 Kauravas..either some really advanced genetic lab or its just some fairy tale.

Easier on the mind to think its a fairy tale and " They lived happily never after"

Men right?

Everyone was human.
Made to be demi gods
hi

i agreed with u madam... but extra marital guys are very smart...lol

Last edited:
One of my close, young friends said, "Vēda Vyās wanted to

project himself as a 'Stud guy', since he wrote the great Epic!!! ;)

hi

i agreed with u madam... but extra marital guys are very smart...lol

No...women are smarter..men
somehow get caught becos they keep bragging to other men about.their extra marital affairs to show off and word gets around.

Women on the other hand know when to shut up.
Women cant keep.a secret if it is involves another person but if it involves themselves they can shut up right till the end like Kunti ! LOL

Men sometimes feel remorse and could also confess to their wives if they get caught becos partly society allows a man to play around.

Women on the other hand know that society is harsh on a woman.who has extra marital affairs so she keeps secret so well than even Forensics wont be able to get a clue.

Men are dumb criminals..Women are smooth criminals! Lol

One of my close, young friends said, "Vēda Vyās wanted to

project himself as a 'Stud guy', since he wrote the great Epic!!! ;)

If it is novel written by Mr. Vyasji, I suppose it is up to him, but it is supposed to be a Historical document, a religious one at that.

So he deliberately lied or was an ignorant person. Either way, the importance attached to this epic is misplaced.

Veda vyasa is the foremost Rishi in our culture. He is the one who preserved the 4 Vedas and also authored the epic Mahabharata. Hence he is named as Veda vyasa!!!

He organized the schools and ensured the Vedas were preserved through the oral tradition that lasted for 2000+ yrs. And the Mahabharata epic.

So we all need to salute him for his extraordinary contribution.

Now coming to the topic, ancient royalty in india indulged in pre and post marital affairs. And also incestuous affairs. However Veda vyasa is the upholder of our traditions, so he attributed a divine origins to the birth of our heroes. So no way he could have spoken about these affairs openly and sent wrong messages to the society at large.

I suppose the truth is sometimes bitter.
If one can lie for the "the sake of society" on occasion, can we accept that other times that person did not lie?

So please no excuses, either it is a lie or truth when you have to hedge your bets it is generally not true.

Secondly, know that Vyas was not one person.

In the Vishnu Purana, the current (Krishna Dwaipayana) Veda Vyasa's father Parashara describesall the Veda Vyasas in the current Vaivasvata Manvantara:
Twenty-eight times have the Vedas been arranged by the great Rishis in the Vaivaswata Manwantara in the Dwápara age, and consequently eight and twenty Vyásas have passed away; by whom, in their respective periods, the Veda has been divided into four. In the first Dwápara age the distribution was made by Swayambhu (Brahmá) himself; in the second, the arranger of the Veda (Veda-vyása) was Prajápati (or Manu); in the third, Uśanas; in the fourth, Vrihaspati; in the fifth, Savitri; in the sixth, Mrityu (Death, or Yama); in the seventh, Indra; in the eighth, Vaśisht́ha; in the ninth, Sáraswata; in the tenth, Tridháman; in the eleventh, Trivrishan; in the twelfth, Bharadwája; in the thirteenth, Antaríksha; in the fourteenth, Vapra; in the fifteenth, Trayyáruńa 2; in the sixteenth, Dhananjaya; in the seventeenth, Kritanjaya; in the eighteenth, Rińa; in the nineteenth, Bharadwája; in the twentieth, Gotama; in the twenty-first, Uttama, also called Haryátmá; in the twenty-second, Veńa, who is likewise named Rájaśravas; in the twenty-third, Somaśushmápańa, also Trińavindu; in the twenty-fourth, Riksha, the descendant of Bhrigu, who is known also by the name Válmíki; in the twenty-fifth, my father Śakti was the Vyása; I was the Vyása of the twenty-sixth Dwápara, and was succeeded by Jaratkáru; the Vyása of the twenty-eighth, who followed him, was Krishńa Dwaipáyana. These are the twenty-eight elder Vyásas, by whom, in the preceding Dwápara ages, the Veda has been divided into four. In the next Dwápara, Drauńi (the son of Drońa) will be the Vyása, when my son, the Muni Krishńa Dwaipáyana, who is the actual Vyása, shall cease to be (in that character).

https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/questions/3617/who-all-were-the-different-ved-vyas

But we are digressing from the original post. Vyasji life can be discussed in a separate thread.​

Last edited:

The verse quoted could not be considered part of the Gita, ie the "Gita" of lord Krishna, since these were Arjuna's words, in support of his decision not to fight :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest ads

Back