• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Understanding Anti-Brahmanism to defeat it

S

swathi25

How far we are successful in our fight against Anti-Brahminisn..?

Anti-Brahmanism has become the popular and fashionable credo of Indian intellectuals, especially in the last 100 years. This can be seen to be the effect of Macaulay’s education system, which was imposed after 1835. It’s stated goal was to produce a race of people who are essentially Englishmen (sahibs) with brown skins.

HISTORICAL PRECEDENT

In trying to eradicate the native culture of India, the British were following the precedent set by imperial Rome, who imposed the Roman way of life on Ancient Gaul. The Gauls were famous for their courage. They were also known to be fiercely proud of their traditions. However, after the Romans completed their subjugation of Gaul, the Gauls were forced to lose their traditional long hairs and beards in favor of the clean-shaven, trimmed Roman looks. This can be compared to how Indians were forced to shed their traditional attires by the British masters who wanted to impose their culture. Similar patterns can be observed in history among other imperial powers who impose their customs and way of life on subjugated peoples.

Druids can be considered the Gaulish equivalent of the Brahmins of Hindu India. Druids were exempt from participating in war and were held to the utmost respect in Gaulish society. After the Roman conquest and subsequent imposition of Christianity, the tradition of Druidry became extinct. The seeds of Anti-Brahmanism were similarly sown by the British in an effort to wipe out the native traditions of Hindus.

In order to introduce the poison of Anti-Brahmanism into the minds of Indians, the British introduced the notion of the Brahmins being a “priestly class”. In doing so, they were greatly influenced by their Protestantism. The Protestant Reformation movement began as an opposition to the stranglehold of the Catholic priests over the minds of Christians. Anti-clericalism reached its zenith in the twentieth century communist movements. Modern communists have been known to be influenced by the early Protestants such as the violent Anabaptists of the fifteenth century who stood for “absolute equality”.

Read more at: http://myvoice.opindia.com/2018/06/...gn=Feed:+MyVoiceOpIndia+(My+Voice+on+OpIndia)

How far we are successful in our fight against Anti-Brahminisn..?

Anti-Brahmanism has become the popular and fashionable credo of Indian intellectuals, especially in the last 100 years. This can be seen to be the effect of Macaulay’s education system, which was imposed after 1835. It’s stated goal was to produce a race of people who are essentially Englishmen (sahibs) with brown skins.

HISTORICAL PRECEDENT

In trying to eradicate the native culture of India, the British were following the precedent set by imperial Rome, who imposed the Roman way of life on Ancient Gaul. The Gauls were famous for their courage. They were also known to be fiercely proud of their traditions. However, after the Romans completed their subjugation of Gaul, the Gauls were forced to lose their traditional long hairs and beards in favor of the clean-shaven, trimmed Roman looks. This can be compared to how Indians were forced to shed their traditional attires by the British masters who wanted to impose their culture. Similar patterns can be observed in history among other imperial powers who impose their customs and way of life on subjugated peoples.

Druids can be considered the Gaulish equivalent of the Brahmins of Hindu India. Druids were exempt from participating in war and were held to the utmost respect in Gaulish society. After the Roman conquest and subsequent imposition of Christianity, the tradition of Druidry became extinct. The seeds of Anti-Brahmanism were similarly sown by the British in an effort to wipe out the native traditions of Hindus.

In order to introduce the poison of Anti-Brahmanism into the minds of Indians, the British introduced the notion of the Brahmins being a “priestly class”. In doing so, they were greatly influenced by their Protestantism. The Protestant Reformation movement began as an opposition to the stranglehold of the Catholic priests over the minds of Christians. Anti-clericalism reached its zenith in the twentieth century communist movements. Modern communists have been known to be influenced by the early Protestants such as the violent Anabaptists of the fifteenth century who stood for “absolute equality”.

Read more at: http://myvoice.opindia.com/2018/06/...gn=Feed:+MyVoiceOpIndia+(My+Voice+on+OpIndia)

Hi Swathiji,

OK. This is there on the net and we all can view it. By copying and pasting it here, you have brought it to those who might not have read it.

But what do you say about the contents? When you copy and paste dont you think you should add value by tagging your comments? Or is my expectation too much? Thanks.

Hi Swathiji,

OK. This is there on the net and we all can view it. By copying and pasting it here, you have brought it to those who might not have read it.

But what do you say about the contents? When you copy and paste dont you think you should add value by tagging your comments? Or is my expectation too much? Thanks.

Agreed Sir.

It is a copy & paste material and shared for the attention of members here.

Of course, you are right. I could have added my opinion also.

I was born in a Brahmin family and my mother belongs to Tirunelveli District while my father was from Kumbakonam.

We have a unique binding with Thamirapaarani and Cauvery.

We learnt and understand thagt we are the inheritors of Chanakya, Arya Bhatta. Dronacharya, Lord Parasurama who have prove their mighty powers.

Now,what I can say is that in the spic silappathikaram, which was authored by Jain Monk Ilango Adigal, Kannagi ordains of burning Madurai and said to the fire God not to touch Brahmins. It said that to spare Brahmins, good men, cows, truthful women, cripples, old men, children. Destroy evildoers etc

The narration that ‘Don’t touch Brahmins’ speaks volume of respect paid to the Brahmins on those days.

But today, the scenario is quite contrary. The following news article is quite explanatory:

"A group of men went on a rampage cutting off sacred threads of ten people in Triplicane near Chennai on Wednesday morning, in a possible retaliation to the vandalism of Periyar bust in Vellore which followed BJP leader H Raja’s call to bring down the Dravidian icon’s statues.

Read more at: https://www.outlookindia.com/websit...n-chennai-after-bjp-leader-called-to-b/309198

We brahmins are attacked, physically. They demean our culture and our language is mocked, and tarnish our image both in movies and TV channels, besides social media and public discourses.

We have lot of Sections, sub-sections among us and have no Unity. No single Association representing every section. No leader with command. Above all, we are a minority.

Mutts don't come to our defence.

Despite Brahmin Bashing or Anti-Brahminism.... we survive and lead a peaceful life.

How are we prepared to counter-Anti-Brahminsim....??

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely True... It is claimed that the SATVIKA guna of the brahmins prevent them to take up even a just case to its deserved end. Also due to the reservation system india, opportunities overseas, earning potential, most the families have already migrated to US, Canada, Australia and other countries.

Probably another one generation of the parents are seeking refuge in the senior citizen home at different cities, towns.or visit india once every 6 months.. After another 10 years this will be much worse. And the brahmin population will dwindle.

Few of the remaining brahmins, as mentioned have not come under ONE UMBRELLA.. Recently have been to one of the inuagural meets of "Brahmin Kural" at triplicane.. Need to wait and see how it is getting channelised to fight for the rights of a community who have been once held in high esteem...now very reluctantly feel and avoid mentioning even their identity !

Considering the general nature of brahmins, used to wonder if what all is heard or wriiten on the atrocities commiitted by brahmins on others - a few decades or century back - is it TRUE? / is it possible? No answers....They always pray for every body s welfare... how can they commit such acts as claimed...

Long way to go... if brahminism needs to be sustained first...

To win through buddhi would be the most appropriate that too to first exist/survive with no thoughts even to create any harm to any one. Nay.........through might/physical strength.

We brahmins are attacked, physically. They demean our culture and our language is mocked, and tarnish our image both in movies and TV channels, besides social media and public discourses.

We have lot of Sections, sub-sections among us and have no Unity. No single Association representing every section. No leader with command. Above all, we are a minority.

Mutts don't come to our defence.

Despite Brahmin Bashing or Anti-Brahminism.... we survive and lead a peaceful life.

Swathiji,
You raised an important point.

In this regard I would like to share a newsitem that might have come into your notice

https://indianexpress.com/article/i...promise-of-brahmin-development-board-5249263/

Dravidian movement has almost sidelined the upper castes and most like jews have fled to better lands abroad and other metro cities.

Only very poor sections or senior citizens with sentimental attachments to Tamilnadu are left behind.

Many are in senior citizen homes and they are not that well taken care off .

Are brahmins leading a peaceful life?

Swathiji,
You raised an important point.

In this regard I would like to share a newsitem that might have come into your notice

https://indianexpress.com/article/i...promise-of-brahmin-development-board-5249263/

That is Karnataka sir.

In Karnataka there is no such so-called dravidian movement.

Brahmins are held in esteem and respected by others.

The non-brahmin kannadigas are wise. They have plenty of sense. They cannot be fooled nor carried over by 'dravida' sentiments. The term 'dravida' has no relevance in karnataka.

In Karnataka, to believe in God, to believe in the existence of God is rationalism. 'When there is a creation, there must be a creator' is rational thinking for kannadigas. Unlike non-brahmin tamilian, the non-brahmin kannadigas are not dumb fools to be carried over by sentiments which does not have value here.

In karnataka no one would dare touch a brahmin, let alone his poonool, and get away with it. another non-brahmin kannadiga himself would thrash him or shred him who touches a brahmin.

That is Karnataka sir.

Yes Sir, I agree. In Karnataka, Telengana and AP there is similar Govt-funded bodies for the upliftment of Brahmin community. In Kerala there is a corporation for the the benefit of forward castes.

Of course TN always tries to be different.

"A group of men went on a rampage cutting off sacred threads of ten people in Triplicane near Chennai on Wednesday morning, in a possible retaliation to the vandalism of Periyar bust in Vellore which followed BJP leader H Raja’s call to bring down the Dravidian icon’s statues.

Read more at: https://www.outlookindia.com/websit...n-chennai-after-bjp-leader-called-to-b/309198

I received the below as an email forward, I think excerpted from a book on the life of the Kanchi seer.

Once over forty Brahmins from the area, Vanniya Teynampet in Madras came to have darshan of Maha Periyava. After their obeisance to the Sage, they expressed their common mental agony that Brahmins were not able to go around in that area with respect as some atheists made fun and showed animosity whenever they came across the hair tufts, sacred threads, and Vaishnavite marks that adorned the body of a Brahmin.

As He heard this, Sri Maha Periyava asked them, "Do you people do the Gayatri Japam every day?" There was silence. He then advised them, "Continue to do the Gayatri Japam daily. Everything will be all right."
As advised, they started doing the Gayatri Japam daily. Within two months the situation changed to their complete satisfaction. They met Periyava happily and conveyed the news. Periyava told them, "All the problems are due to your giving up the Gayatri mantra. The power of Gayatri mantra is immeasurable."

In karnataka no one would dare touch a brahmin, let alone his poonool, and get away with it. another non-brahmin kannadiga himself would thrash him or shred him who touches a brahmin.

There is the point. Why do Brahmins wait for another non-brahmin to thrash the fellow? The Brahmins should join together and thrash the ill-doers. This appears the solution to me.

Perhaps we don't have the communal spirit, like the other castes or communities. We go our own independent ways, except once in a year when we come together to restart the Vedadhyayanam. I think if we brahmins find more commonalities and get together more often, things will become different.

Latest ads

Back