• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

nirjala ekadasi

kgopalan

Nirjala ekadasi on 23-06-2018

Jyeshtha-Shukla Ekadasi, or Bhimaseni-Nirjala Ekadasi

The Story of Pandava Nirjala Ekadasi: Pandava Nirjala Ekadasi -Jyeshtha-shukla Ekadasi - from Brahma-vaivarta Purana.

Once Bhimasena, the younger brother of Maharaja Yudhisthira, askedthe great sage Shrila Vyasadeva, the grandfather of the Pandavas, ifit is possible to return to the spiritual world without havingobserved all the rules and regulations of the Ekadasi fasts.

Bhimasena then spoke as follows, Oh greatly intelligent andlearned grandfather, my brother Yudhisthira, my dear mother Kunti,and my beloved wife Draupadi, as well as Arjuna, Nakula and Sahadeva,fast completely on each Ekadasi and strictly follow all the rules,guidelines and regulative injunctions of that sacred day. Being veryreligious, they always tell me that I should also fast on that daytoo. But, Oh learned grandfather, I tell them that I cannot livewithout eating.

I can give widely in charity and worship Lord Keshavaproperly ; I cannot but be asked to fast on Ekadasi. Please tell mehow I can obtain the same merits result without fasting.
Hearing these words, the grandsire of Bhima, Srila Vyasadeva said,"If you want to go to the heavenly planets and avoid the hellishplanets, you should indeed observe a fast on both the light and darkEkadasis."

Bhima replied, "Oh great saintly intelligent grandfather,please listen to my plea. Oh greatest of munis, since I cannot liveif I eat only once in a day, how can I possibly live if I fastcompletely? Within my stomach burns a special fire named Vrika, thefire of digestion."
Only when I eat to my full satisfaction does the fire in mystomach become satisfied. Oh great sage, I might possibly be able tofast only once, so I beg that you tell me of an Ekadasi that isworthy of my fasting and that includes all other Ekadasis. I shallfaithfully observe that fast and hopefully still become eligible forliberation's release."

Shrila Vyasadeva replied, Oh king, you have heard from me aboutthe various kinds of occupational duties, such as elaborate Vedicceremonies and pujas. Observing Ekadasi strictly is a great aid inthat process, and here Shrila Vyasadeva is simply stressing to Bhimathe importance of the Ekadasi vratam. "One who fasts on Ekadasisis saved from going to the hellish planets."

Hearing Shrila Vyasadeva's words, the son of Vayu, Bhimasena, thestrongest of all warriors, became frightened and began to shake likea leaf. The frightened Bhimasena then said, "Oh grandfather,what should I do? I am completely unable and ill equipped to fasttwice in a month throughout the year! Please tell me of the onefasting day that will bestow the greatest benefit upon me!"

Vyasadeva replied, "Without drinking even water, you shouldfast on the Ekadasi that occurs during the light fortnight of themonth of Jyeshtha (May-June) when the sun travels in the sign ofTaurus (Vrishabh) and Gemini (Mithun), According to learnedpersonalities, on this day one may bathe and perform Achamana forpratiprokshana purification. But while performing Achamana one maydrink only that amount of water equal to a drop of gold, or thatamount it takes to immerse a single mustard seed. Only this amount ofwater should be placed in the right palm for sipping, which oneshould form to resemble a cow's ear. One must certainly not eatanything, for if he does so he breaks his fast.

This rigid fast is in effect from sunrise on the Ekadasi day tosunrise on the Dwadashii day. If a person endeavors to observe thisgreat fast very strictly, he easily achieves the result of observingall twenty-four other Ekadasi fasts throughout the entire year.

On Dwadashii the devotee should bathe early in the morning. Then,according to the prescribed rules, guidelines and regulative
injunctions, and of course depending on his ability, he shouldgive some charity and water to worthy Brahmanas. Finally, he shouldcheerfully honor prasadam with a Brahman.

Oh Bhimasena, one who can fast on this special Ekadasi in thismanner reaps the benefit of having fasted on every Ekadasi during theyear. There is no doubt of this, nor should there be. Oh Bhima, nowhear the specific merit one gets by fasting on this Ekadasi. TheSupreme Lord Keshava, who personally told me, Everyone should takeshelter of Me and follow My instructions. Then He told me that onewho fasts on this Ekadasi, without taking even drinking water oreating, becomes free of all sinful reactions, and that one whoobserves the difficult Nirjala fast on Jyeshtha-shukla Ekadasi trulyreaps the benefit of all other Ekadasi fasts.

Whoever fasts on this Ekadasi receives the merits of bathing inall the places of pilgrimage, giving all kinds of charities to worthypersons, and fasting on all the dark and light Ekadasis throughoutthe year, in one go. Of this there is no doubt.

And at the fearful moment of death, the terrible Yamadutas, willrefuse to approach him. Rather, such a faithful soul will at once betaken to the supreme abode of Lord Vishnu by the Vishnu-dutas, inVishnu’s vehicle to Heaven- who each hold a disk, club, conch andlotus in their four hands, resembling Lord Vishnu. It is to gain allthese benefits that one should certainly fast on this very auspiciousand important Ekadasi, even from water. That day one should chant "OM NAMO BHAGVATE VASUDEVA" and do the charity of a cow.

As per the instruction of Vyasji Bhimsen kept this fast and thusthis Ekadasi is known as Bhimaseni or Pandava Ekadasi.

Shrila Vyasadeva continued, You should pray to the Supreme Lord,Lord Sri Krishna in this way making your sankalpa declaration, OhLord of all the devas (demigods), Oh Supreme Lord, today I shallobserve Ekadasi without taking any water. I shall break fast on thenext day, Dwadashii. Thereafter, to remove all his sins, the devoteeshould honor this Ekadasi fast with full faith in the Lord and withfull control over his senses. The sins that have been accumulated allbecome nullified and are burned to ashes. Such is the great power ofthis Ekadasi.

On this day, then he should give a qualified Brahman some cloth ora pot filled with water. Indeed, the merit achieved by giving wateralone equals that gained by giving gold ten million times a day.
Observance of this Ekadasi fast alone promotes one to the supremeabode of Sri Vishnu.

Remember, whosoever eats any grains on Ekadasi becomescontaminated by sin and verily eats only sin. In effect, he hasalready become a dog-eater, and after death he suffers a hellishexistence. Observing this Ekadasi, which is merged with Dwadashii,frees one from the horrible sin of killing a Brahman, drinking liquorand wine, becoming envious of one's spiritual master and ignoring hisinstructions, and continually telling lies.

Oh son of Kunti, with devotion any man or woman who observes thisfast properly and worships the Supreme Lord (He who sleeps on thewater), and who on the next day satisfies a qualified Brahman withnice sweets and a donation of cows and money - such a personcertainly pleases the Supreme Lord Vasudeva. Indeed, one who observesthis amazing Ekadasi rides on a glorious celestial airplane (vimana)to the Lord's abode.

One who on this day gives a Brahman a waterpot, an umbrella, orshoes surely goes to the heavenly planets. Indeed, he who simplyhears these glories also attains to the transcendental abode of theSupreme Lord, Shri Vishnu. But this same merit is achieved by him whosimply hears this sacred narration - so powerful and so dear to theLord is this Ekadasi.

Thus ends the narration of the glories of Jyeshtha-shukla Ekadasi,or Bhimaseni-Nirjala Ekadasi, from the Brahma-vaivarta Purana

Latest ads

Back