• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Maya/Prakriti/Cosmic Deluder

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

Dear all,
I just want some inputs about Maya/Prakriti and its role as the Cosmic Deluder.
I know its a heavy subject and needs a lot of reading but since the Atman and adjectives thread has taken off so well..I thought we are missing out on Maya/Prakriti...
Knowing Maya would make us understand Atman better I feel...and the whole Real and Unreal controversy...

I will post a bit later after reading up because I am myself deluded..
"Where Do I Begin?"

renu

Dear all,

I found a good link....

Maya -Shakti - Prakriti

1. This bridging of the gulf betweent the Supreme Reality and our relative world is provided by prakriti or maya or nature called Adyashakti, the Divine Mother ...
    www.hinduism.co.za/maya-sha.htm - Cached - Similar -

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Kindly provide your views, please. The link provided opens a huge website. If I like to discuss that site, I will end up discussing Sri.Adi Shankara. I am not quite qualified to do that.

I like to mention this though...Prakriti is not Maya. Prakriti is real; Maya or illusion is the way we see/understand prakriti...

Cheers!

Dear RaghyJi,

i included Maya/Prakirthi even though its not actually the same but because its interelated.

RaghyJi,give me some time...I always found this topic of Maya kind of heavy for me and I always feel I dont know where to begin..
Thats is partly why I put the link so that other members could start off.

This topic of Maya always deludes me...

Dear RaghyJi,

i included Maya/Prakirthi even though its not actually the same but because its interelated.

RaghyJi,give me some time...I always found this topic of Maya kind of heavy for me and I always feel I dont know where to begin..
Thats is partly why I put the link so that other members could start off.

This topic of Maya always deludes me...

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Who can clearly define 'maya'? Then it can't be 'maya', can it be? We don't see the reality.. that is maya. when do we not see the reality? In my humble opinion, when we are controlled by kama, krodha, loba, moha, madha or madhcharya qualities. When we are controlled by one or all of the six qualities, we don't see what we actually see. Happens everyday....many times everyday....

Cheers!

maya is maya,

MAYA which provides the beings with an illusionary sensory experience of Sunrise and Sunset. The physical world is real. Sun is a real object. Darkness and Light are actual, real visual experiences.Sunrise and Sunset, in reality are not actual events in being’s life and existence. The reality of being, the reality of man’s identity does not belong to the material realm where man perceives the physical world in which he exists.Maya is also described as AVIDYA which contributes to ignorance and it would not let being gain true knowledge of beings identity.Beings gains true knowledge when beings gets away from the trappings of Maya and recognizes that there is no dawn or dusk and eings has the same identity of that Light described as “PARAM JYOTHI” which shines with constancy and consistency and is the Ultimate Reality.Arut Perum Jyothi Arut Perum Jyothi Thani Perum Karunai Arut Perum Jyothi--அருட் பெரும் ஜ்யோதி அருட் பெரும் ஜ்யோதி தனி பெரும் கருணை அருட் பெரும் ஜ்யோதி

If the Gayatri has not been chanted for three generations in the family of a Brahmin, its members lose caste (they cease to be Brahmins).

Source:Kamakoti.org,Sathya Sai Org,Bhavana Jagat,Dattatriya Siva Baba.

nachi naga.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear all,

i will put a Q & A taken from Sathya Sai Gita.

Q)Is it possible to discover the begining or the end of Maya?
Can anyone know when Maya will end?

A)None can discover the begining of Maya.neither the personalized God(Easwara),nor the individual self(jeeva) nor the objective world(Prakrithi) can ever suceed in discovering the begining of Maya which brought them into existence and started the chain of
"act--consequence-act'
Nevertheless one can suceed in discovering when Maya will end!
When will it end?

When the objective world is ignored,set aside,denied or discovered to be immanent in the Divine,the jeeva is no more.
Easwara(personalized God) is also superflous and disappears.And when the Easwara has faded out,the Brahman alone is.
When a personalized God,jeeva and prakrithi(the objective world) are non existent in the developed consciousness of man,Maya the progenitor of all three cannot persists.

before that :Maya is the Will that caused The Personalized God(Easwara),Jeeva and the objective world(Prakriti).
Maya is like a mirror....
When the Sattvic nature is reflected in it...Personalized God(Easwara) results....
When Rajasic nature is reflected in it....Individualized Self(Jeeva) results...
When the Tamasic nature is relected in it....The Objective world(Prakriti) results...

all inputs taken from Sri Sathya Sai Gita..Q & A

Dear all,

i will put a Q & A taken from Sathya Sai Gita.

Q)Is it possible to discover the begining or the end of Maya?
Can anyone know when Maya will end?

A)None can discover the begining of Maya.neither the personalized God(Easwara),nor the individual self(jeeva) nor the objective world(Prakrithi) can ever suceed in discovering the begining of Maya which brought them into existence and started the chain of
"act--consequence-act'

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Jeeva has no reason to find the start of the chain. When the Jeeva does not remember the previous time it coupled with easwara, why would it bother to find or enquire about the start of the journey? Jeeva should be focused on the illusion at hand, at present. For example, I am under the illusion that I understand Maya, where the biggest illusion is 'I'. I could get a power failure and this message may not be posted at all!:heh:

When the objective world is ignored,set aside,denied or discovered to be immanent in the Divine,the jeeva is no more.
Easwara(personalized God) is also superflous and disappears.And when the Easwara has faded out,the Brahman alone is.
When a personalized God,jeeva and prakrithi(the objective world) are non existent in the developed consciousness of man,Maya the progenitor of all three cannot persists.

Sow.Renuka,

The highlighted portions are interesting. If you think I am misquoting, kindly let me know.
Many of us have ignored this world. In my case, at one time I allowed the world to kick me around like a soccer ball; when I felt enough was enough, I just stood tall facing the world; extended my right hand with only my middle finger unfolded. Since then, I ignored the world completely; of course, I follow all the rules and regulations, pay my taxes, be nice to everyone, involve myself in a caring profession...but, I just don't care what others think about me.

I do not have a personalised God. I am not an atheist; I am not agnostic either. If I am spiritual, religion or God have nothing to do with that.

Sow. Renuka, I humbly request you to analyse my case with respect to understanding Maya, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Raghy,

The fact that you have written religion or god,as a reference indicates a maya in your mind.What exactly is spiritual?is it 'aham brahmasmi' i am not this body but a spirit soul?can you elaborate,please?

nachi naga.

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Jeeva has no reason to find the start of the chain. When the Jeeva does not remember the previous time it coupled with easwara, why would it bother to find or enquire about the start of the journey? Jeeva should be focused on the illusion at hand, at present. For example, I am under the illusion that I understand Maya, where the biggest illusion is 'I'. I could get a power failure and this message may not be posted at all!:heh:

Sow.Renuka,

The highlighted portions are interesting. If you think I am misquoting, kindly let me know.
Many of us have ignored this world. In my case, at one time I allowed the world to kick me around like a soccer ball; when I felt enough was enough, I just stood tall facing the world; extended my right hand with only my middle finger unfolded. Since then, I ignored the world completely; of course, I follow all the rules and regulations, pay my taxes, be nice to everyone, involve myself in a caring profession...but, I just don't care what others think about me.

I do not have a personalised God. I am not an atheist; I am not agnostic either. If I am spiritual, religion or God have nothing to do with that.

Sow. Renuka, I humbly request you to analyse my case with respect to understanding Maya, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Dear RaghyJi,

The begining of Maya can never be found...But we can escape from the clutches of Maya.

Raghy ji...One does not have to be a theist to be good...You are by nature a good person from what I can gather so far...

That itself is True Innate Divinty...Many look for religion or a Personalized God in order to be more spiritual.
If you have suceeded without a personalized God or without subscribing to a religion...then you are a walking Mahavakya yourself...Tat Tvam Asi.

renu

Last edited:
I thought we had already established in the context of Advaita that Prakrit is unreal and transient. So is it unreal or is the way we understand it unreal? Im confused.

Dear Amala,

May be I should not have grouped all 3 togather Maya/Prakriti/Cosmic Deluder.

Prakriti is all phenomenon accounting to nature.
Prakriti is Nature....
Prakriti is also Transient...hence also unreal from the Advaitin POV.

re

I thought we had already established in the context of Advaita that Prakrit is unreal and transient. So is it unreal or is the way we understand it unreal? Im confused.

amala,

The Advaitam of Bhagavath Pada Adi-Shankaracharya follows accepting Prakriti as an eternally separate reality from Purusha, acharya asserts the doctrine of Maya, which he defines as neither real nor unreal and inexpressible. The goal is still to unidentify with Maya and find one's identity in Brahman, the Vedantic term for Purusha.

Source:kamakoti.org

Prakriti is the source of the world of "manifesting/becoming" (change and motion) and sensation.

Prakriti is a cause but not an effect,manas and buddhi, which are part of prakriti.

Source:kapilas samnkya yoga

nachi naga.

That itself is True Innate Divinty...Many look for religion or a Personalized God in order to be more spiritual.
If you have suceeded without a personalized God or without subscribing to a religion...then you are a walking Mahavakya yourself...Tat Tvam Asi.

renu

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Walking mahavakya? புடலங்காய்! There are millions of illeterate people who just have one thought in their mind...'where would the next meal come from?'. If you talk about spiruality or God to them, they would wonder about your intellctual capacities; if you put a meal in fron of them, they would listen to anything..religion, any religion for that matter to any philosophy, until they lick their plate clean. I have seen it.

Kindly revisit your analyses about my case. Maya is covering your mind and your eyes.

Cheers!

Raghy mama what are you trying to say? That ones stomach has to first not be hungry before preaching about spirituality et al?

Thank you Rekka and Nachiji for the explanation.

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Walking mahavakya? புடலங்காய்! There are millions of illeterate people who just have one thought in their mind...'where would the next meal come from?'. If you talk about spiruality or God to them, they would wonder about your intellctual capacities; if you put a meal in fron of them, they would listen to anything..religion, any religion for that matter to any philosophy, until they lick their plate clean. I have seen it.

Kindly revisit your analyses about my case. Maya is covering your mind and your eyes.

Cheers!

Dear RaghyJi,

You are really witty you know......

Maya is surely covering my mind and eyes...Thats the function of Maya isnt it?

Raghyji,
I know a person must eat and nourish himself first before thinking of God..We have an Annamaya Kosha for that...

Raghy even Our Dear Lord Ganesha is Lambhodhara...Big bellied one..its symbolic that one should feed ones stomach before embarking on any spiritual journey...

You know Raghy Ji,I really enjoy your post...I always smile when I read it and I could not stop laughing about the line where you mentioned about you showing your hand to the world....:kiss:

re

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Cheers!

Raghy,

The issue is target audience.If we try to explain,quantum mechanics to ukg students,what will happen?

Similiarly,for a poor man,or for that mater any being,food is important otherwise one will die of starvation.Mixing with vedanta,this practical incident,is a huge mis-conception.I positively cannot attend a class about agnostic/atheist lecture by any hallowed professor.

If i attend,that would be maya owing to prakriti with my manas and budhi.

nachi naga.

The issue is target audience.If we try to explain,quantum mechanics to ukg students,what will happen?

Sri.Nachi Naga,

That is bull's eye! நெத்தி அடி!

Similiarly,for a poor man,or for that mater any being,food is important otherwise one will die of starvation.Mixing with vedanta,this practical incident,is a huge mis-conception.I positively cannot attend a class about agnostic/atheist lecture by any hallowed professor.

This is an important point to consider. But, my POV was not in those lines. (kindly read my POV from the reply to Sow.Renuka, please).

Cheers!

You are really witty you know......

Sow.Renuka, thanks for the kind complement.

I know a person must eat and nourish himself first before thinking of God..We have an Annamaya Kosha for that...

Sow.Renuka, It is an important point. But I was not focusing on that when I wrote that.

There are two types of people who ignore the world completely..the ones who are filthy rich and the ones who are hopelessly poor. So, ignoring the world alone can not be one of the qualifier to defeat maya. There should be a detachment while there is a quantifiable and objective attachment. Sri.Adi Sankara explained this as '
தாமரை இலை தண்ணீர் போல்'.....the water is attached, it is cool, also it does not stick to the leaf.
I have seen who do not care about the world act like scum-bags. That is not detachment. They are not defeating maya in anyway; but, they are going deeper into maya.

Sow. Renuka, when I said I ignore the world, it should be further analysed in the above fashion. Am I attached to the world while detached from it?

You were kind enough mention a sentence that made you laugh..but that action itself is rajas. It is very difficult to handle rajas guna for the purpose of defeating maya. In most cases, rajas guna is the starting step to enter maya; it is like saying I carry AK47 gun to promote peace!

Sorry Sow.Renuka, you should not let me off the hook that easily...you should grill each sentence very closely (each sentence is loaded). Like I said, Maya is covering your mind and your eyes. I am more than happy to undergo scrutiny. We can practice removing the maya in this case (you will have to take back the word 'mahavakya'; mentioning about me and that word in the same sentence is an insult to that word).

Cheers!

Raghy mama what are you trying to say? That ones stomach has to first not be hungry before preaching about spirituality et al?

Thank you Rekka and Nachiji for the explanation.

Sow.Amala,

Yes, that is true. Hungry stomach and spiritual thinking do not go together. But the reason for my mentioning about hungry stomach goes beyond that. Kindly read the reply I posted to Sow.Renuka, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Dear Amala,

May be I should not have grouped all 3 togather Maya/Prakriti/Cosmic Deluder.

Prakriti is all phenomenon accounting to nature.
Prakriti is Nature....
Prakriti is also Transient...hence also unreal from the Advaitin POV.

Sow.Renuka,

I think you are confusing that kid. Prakriti is not maya. It is very real. (to certain extend though). Sow. Amala, in the primary school, you studied that the light travels in a straight line; you even conducted an experiment to 'prove' that concept. When you get to the degree level physics, what do you study? you study that the light travels in waves....guess what? you conduct experiments to prove that!:noidea: Prakriti is like that..you argue Prakriti is objective at one stage...then you argue it is subjective...then you say it is an illusion from a different stand point.

Cheers!

Raghy,

The fact that you have written religion or god,as a reference indicates a maya in your mind.What exactly is spiritual?is it 'aham brahmasmi' i am not this body but a spirit soul?can you elaborate,please?

nachi naga.

Sri.Nachi Naga,

I do not know if I am 'spiritual'. That's why I wrote "If I am spiritual, God or religion have nothing to do with it". I am actually leaving it for an observer to analyse. Since I do not even know whether I am spiritual or not, I may be able to answer your question properly. Sorry. Presently, I am trying to see if I can get rid of this "I"; 'Aham Brahmasmi, 'Tat Tvam Asi' ..all those stages have to wait..I am too slow!

Cheers!

re

Sri.Nachi Naga,

I do not know if I am 'spiritual'. That's why I wrote "If I am spiritual, God or religion have nothing to do with it". I am actually leaving it for an observer to analyse. Since I do not even know whether I am spiritual or not, I may be able to answer your question properly. Sorry. Presently, I am trying to see if I can get rid of this "I"; 'Aham Brahmasmi, 'Tat Tvam Asi' ..all those stages have to wait..I am too slow!

Cheers!

Raghy,

All of us are divine in nature.All of us are needed one way or the other.Nobody is a waste.Identifying oneself as spiritual,agnostic,theist,deist,atheist,....etc is just a form having a name.The driver of the body is one and the same for every being in cosmos,and that sir to realise in its entire purport requires sadhana as prescribed by various sampradayic schools.

renu ji,thanks for this topic.

nachi naga.

Sow.Renuka, thanks for the kind complement.

Sow.Renuka, It is an important point. But I was not focusing on that when I wrote that.

There are two types of people who ignore the world completely..the ones who are filthy rich and the ones who are hopelessly poor. So, ignoring the world alone can not be one of the qualifier to defeat maya. There should be a detachment while there is a quantifiable and objective attachment. Sri.Adi Sankara explained this as '
தாமரை இலை தண்ணீர் போல்'.....the water is attached, it is cool, also it does not stick to the leaf.
I have seen who do not care about the world act like scum-bags. That is not detachment. They are not defeating maya in anyway; but, they are going deeper into maya.

Sow. Renuka, when I said I ignore the world, it should be further analysed in the above fashion. Am I attached to the world while detached from it?

You were kind enough mention a sentence that made you laugh..but that action itself is rajas. It is very difficult to handle rajas guna for the purpose of defeating maya. In most cases, rajas guna is the starting step to enter maya; it is like saying I carry AK47 gun to promote peace!

Sorry Sow.Renuka, you should not let me off the hook that easily...you should grill each sentence very closely (each sentence is loaded). Like I said, Maya is covering your mind and your eyes. I am more than happy to undergo scrutiny. We can practice removing the maya in this case (you will have to take back the word 'mahavakya'; mentioning about me and that word in the same sentence is an insult to that word).

Cheers!

Dear RaghyJi,

I am not that good a debator...I really cant grill anyone .....
Thats not my nature at all...

All I can say is "Be in the World but dont let the World be in you"

Raghyji,to tell you the truth I can't handle your questions.....
Thats all i can say RaghyJi.....
I have no answers at all....
Hope you accept my sincere confession...

renu

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back