• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The deterioration of the Senior Facilities in Coimbatore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been staying in a Senior Citizen facility for the last four years. The facilities in these places have come down horribly in the last one year. The cost of food has gone up astronomically and the quality and quantity has come down.

The promoters have started charging a huge amount as maintenance charges.

We are being blackmailed by the promoters. There was a report that the mess was closed in Thapovan one of Senior Citizens village near Coimbatore.

The senior citizens are helpless and depend on the Mess for food.

Is there any way that we can help the Senior Citizens?

Last edited:
Sir,

It is business and certainly not community service.

With the cost of living increasing day-by-day, which includes salary to staff, rent, rates, taxes, etc etc the promoters have no other choice except to increase the cost of maintenance.

As for decrease in the quality of service and facilities, I can only blame the Association or the members who should represent, address their grievances and resort to remedy through any means even knocking the doors of court.

As for promoters, it is competition, survival in the business, etc that compel them to come up with unique and attractive marketing strategies to lure the senior citizens. There are certain magazines which carry these Advts regularly. They simply sell their product successfully get their return with the margin.

Now, it is the turn of inmates to form a strong Association and fight for their rights.

The following article will give you an idea as to what is expected by the NRIs and what is provided by the promoters.

Not enough supply to match NRI demand for affluent senior housing in India

not-enough-supply-to-match-nri-demand-for-affluent-senior-housing-in-india-thumbnail-300x200-compressed_hsg15715_356.jpg

When it comes to providing retirement or senior living homes, non-resident Indians feel that developers have failed to understand their needs. We examine what this segment of home buyers expect and the opportunity for developers

While Indian real estate developers are going all out to woo rich Indians and expat professionals, they seem to have gone completely off target, when it comes to understanding the long-term housing needs of non-resident Indians (NRIs). As a result, a very promising segment of housing that a vast majority of the Indians are looking for back home, has not been addressed yet. According to a survey by Track2Realty, 88% of NRIs are ready to invest into senior housing. The senior housing that these expat Indians are looking for their post-retirement life, is not just an apartment with healthcare and assisted living facilities. No less than 72% of the NRIs want senior living housing solutions in India that offer luxury.
NRIs expect luxury and comfort from senior housing projects

Among the NRIs looking for senior housing, 94% would not mind paying a premium for luxury, with many of them being aware of the fact that their children may work or staying abroad or in other cities. “I have worked hard throughout my career. Once I settle down in my retired life back home, I would like enjoy myself more, as time will not be a constraint. With reasonable savings for retirement, I would not like to live an isolated life. Developers need to understand that the world has changed, for seniors who have decent money,” points out Akshat Jakhar, an NRI from Ahmedabad, who feels that senior housing should provide social security and medical necessities, without compromising on luxury and lifestyle.

Read more at: https://housing.com/news/not-enough-supply-match-nri-demand-affluent-senior-housing-india/

Seniors should learn to look after themselves in their own homes employing appropriate persons for cooking, washing and upkeep of home.Managing two or three servants is

far easier than struggling in senior citizen homes.These days everything is available online including food if servants go missing for a day or two.All bills can be paid

online.Bonding with neighbours for medical emergency and like events helps.One needs to build redunduncy and back up for all eventualities.It is pretty easy if one tries a bit.

hi

its true....vara vara maamiyaar kazhuthai maathiri....they take advantage of seniors... i paid advance money for my mother

to a senior citizen home....my mother died last year....they never return my advance amount for last one year...

I am not surprised this is happening . Many Indians ( within India and Abroad ) thought Senior Citizen retired homes are the best post retirement and many invested and also moved into the same and many Builders seeing an opportunity in this started lot of such retirement homes and I doubt how many of them have the competence to run such homes . They just cashed on the boom and now finding touch to run it and hence all these problems . Nothing wrong in making a profit but people running these homes must have proper competence to run the same and many fly by night crooks cashed on this boom and now elderly people are facing the problem with these sort of unprofessional people .

If the senior citizens have children may be they can stay near by their kids so some sort of help is there.
For eg I stay just 15 mins away from my parents..so I can look into their needs.

My brother in law stays with my Father In Law and has a live in domestic worker to help at home.

I feel if a child cant stay with his/ het old parents he/ she should at least make sure help from others eg domestic servants are there.

Parents also should abide to some changes along the way to make sure they dont have to stay in retirement homes.

I am totally not surprised that conditions arent up to the mark at these homes in India..somehow bussiness ethics in India is just all about " milking" the consumer.

If the senior citizens have children may be they can stay near by their kids so some sort of help is there.
For eg I stay just 15 mins away from my parents..so I can look into their needs.

My brother in law stays with my Father In Law and has a live in domestic worker to help at home.

I feel if a child cant stay with his/ het old parents he/ she should at least make sure help from others eg domestic servants are there.

Parents also should abide to some changes along the way to make sure they dont have to stay in retirement homes.

I am totally not surprised that conditions arent up to the mark at these homes in India..somehow bussiness ethics in India is just all about " milking" the consumer.

Your situation is somewhat unique.
For a majority of children, it is not possible. For instance, a person living in metro cities, the cost of maintaining an extra person would be prohibitive. Of course, other marital problem may arise.

Servants are costly and at the same time not dependable. Institutions are a better option, and when they fail we have no choice left.

Yes, Business ethics is a different matter in India.

Yes. As an octogenarian living with my son , I wish to add a few words to this conversation. If we could stay with Children better to stay with them. Better to adjust ourselves to the changing situations, than living in a retirement home. As we grow older our health also become vulnerable to age related problems.
This is the main concern for the aged people. We must understand our younger generation may not have time to give full time attention to us. This is compensated by the love of our grand children. They bring news and views of the present generation. In return I share with them all that knowledge that I have gained throughout my life.

Most important aspect that we should understand is that our children who take care of us should be allowed to enjoy their privacy and independence. Our interference
In their life should be minimal or nil.
Ofcourse we should try to be of help to run the family to our best.

Certainly there will always be differences between individuals living together, which should be ironed out in the beginning itself by mutual adjustment.

We must not forget, nothing can replace the love and warmth of our near and dear-ones, in the evening of our life.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Your situation is somewhat unique.
For a majority of children, it is not possible. For instance, a person living in metro cities, the cost of maintaining an extra person would be prohibitive. Of course, other marital problem may arise.

Servants are costly and at the same time not dependable. Institutions are a better option, and when they fail we have no choice left.

Yes, Business ethics is a different matter in India.

Cost of another person living in metros?
If people can spend on smart phones...multiple vacations..shopping sprees...all sorts of poojas etc..why cant some money be set aside for elderly parents?

Adjustments can be made provided all " behave" and stay well.
It wont reflect well on self if we neglect anyone..young or old.

Please Watch the movie
Baghban
Bag

An elderly couple wish their children to care for them in their old age. But their children see and treat them as a burden, and they must struggle to regain their worth and dignity to themselves and others.

Those of us fortunate enough to have kids who are able to accommodate aging parents are lucky ones.

My brother is involved with an organization Dignity, I hear all the sad stories, including physical and mental torture.

http://www.dignityfoundation.com/

Yes. As an octogenarian living with my son , I wish to add a few words to this conversation. If we could stay with Children better to stay with them. Better to adjust ourselves to the changing situations, than living in a retirement home. As we grow older our health also become vulnerable to age related problems.
This is the main concern for the aged people. We must understand our younger generation may not have time to give full time attention to us. This is compensated by the love of our grand children. They bring news and views of the present generation. In return I share with them all that knowledge that I have gained throughout my life.

Most important aspect that we should understand is that our children who take care of us should be allowed to enjoy their privacy and independence. Our interference
In their life should be minimal or nil.
Ofcourse we should try to be of help to run the family to our best.

Certainly there will always be differences between individuals living together, which should be ironed out in the beginning itself by mutual adjustment.

We must not forget, nothing can replace the love and warmth of our near and dear-ones, in the evening of our life.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
hi

i agreed and nice....its not for everyone situation....the conditions of family life changing.....in some cases...wife is ready

to stay with kids/grand children...but the husband has problem....wife has to follow husband in VAANAPRASTHAM life...

but modern philosophy of life different....

Best is to plan to live alone and not be a burden on children. Living close to children's home is not bad if the children want it that way. Best to not force or guilt trip them into such an arrangement.

If health issues arise best is to go to a old people home if one can afford it. Better option is to pray for death and try to be useful while living.

If the facilities like old people home do not work out as expected better not complain. If there is illegal thing going on that needs to be investigated.

The key is to act and not complain

Vanakkam,

Very sad reading the plight of the senior citizens. I do think, somehow, things are changing for the worst these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back