• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

what is spirituality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

Spirituality derives from the word "spirit" which also means the soul. So spirituality has to do with the soul. The concept of soul is central to many religions and is supposed to represent the inner and the most real self of a person.

The concept of spirituality is often contrasted against materialism where materialism is excessive attachment to things external to the inner self i.e., to the external reality such as the body and other physical things. So we can consider spirituality as something that teaches us to think beyond the external reality and focus on elevating the inner self.

One concept of inner reality is that there is an entity called jivatma which is attached to a body. The jivatma is the veiled Atman or Brahman, the supreme God which is residing in every person. The veil is the ignorance due to not being able to understand the real self or reality. As long as the ignorance exists, an entity called mind is projected from it and that is what interacts with the external world and goes through the various experiences in a birth.

The experiences form the basis of the jivatma's evolution. The evolution represents how veiled the jivatma is. When we realize the timeless truths finally through innumerable births, the ignorance disappears and the veil is lifted. The mind becomes one with the soul which is now the pure consciousness or God and the person attains Moksha or liberation from the physical world.

Being spiritual does not mean one has to give up worldly activities. It only means the ability to exercise self control when required. So one can lead a normal worldly life and still be spiritual. Spirituality just as the word suggests is practised more in spirit than in the form or methods.

However, it is not an easy task to practise spirituality. In my view it is the most intellectually demanding task because it means one has to go beyond understanding and actually live the truths. But once a person is able to do that after sincere and continuous efforts, he is most likely to possess a very peaceful inner existence which would also reflect in the happiness in external interactions.

To sum up, spirituality deals with the theory and practices of how to remove one's ignorance of timeless truths, by evolving one's inner self, attaining peace and eventually becoming one with God.

The spiritualism you are talking about is not in demand now a days Sravana. Sorry to say. In fact in today's world ,Spiritualism is up for sale. The one who claims is spiritual has ulterior motives. Never reveals his true identity. And the real ones if any, remains within themselves as they know they will not be heard. So practically speaking you will not find any one spiritual.

Dear Sravna...kindly move beyond spirituality.
As a adult I think we know that when face issues finally we have to kick into action as soon as possible..spirituality is just a temporary cyclical phase we seek for some solace.

Technically its just a mode of relaxation..some might climb a mountain to feel on top of the world..same as spirituality..it gives us a on top of the world feeling.

Eventually we need to note that its we who climbed the mountain or the peaks of spirituality and we didnt really need the mountain or spirituality at all.

Sravna..over all you are a very intelligent person..if you could only realize that you have to transcend and move beyond the concept of spirituality..there would be a deeper understanding of life.

Dear Sravna...kindly move beyond spirituality.
As a adult I think we know that when face issues finally we have to kick into action as soon as possible..spirituality is just a temporary cyclical phase we seek for some solace.

Technically its just a mode of relaxation..some might climb a mountain to feel on top of the world..same as spirituality..it gives us a on top of the world feeling.

Eventually we need to note that its we who climbed the mountain or the peaks of spirituality and we didnt really need the mountain or spirituality at all.

Sravna..over all you are a very intelligent person..if you could only realize that you have to transcend and move beyond the concept of spirituality..there would be a deeper understanding of life.
Dear Renuka,

Thank you. I am not projecting spirituality just to promote myself . I can genuinely help people with my abilities. You will hear more of it in the future.

Dear Ganesh,

We can make people hear if we can make them believe. Adverse publicity has caused the problem.

Hii,
I am new here!!!!
Spirituality existence is tied in with looking for an important association with an option that is greater than yourself, which can bring about positive feelings, for example, peace, amazement, happiness, appreciation, and acknowledgment.

Hii,
I am new here!!!!
Spirituality existence is tied in with looking for an important association with an option that is greater than yourself, which can bring about positive feelings, for example, peace, amazement, happiness, appreciation, and acknowledgment.

Well said...same can be experienced with a good bottle of C2H5OH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back