• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

பழஞ்ச் சோரு

Status
Not open for further replies.
பழஞ்ச் சோருவின் மகிமை இப்போது தான் தெரிகிறதா? அதுவும் வெள்ளைக்காரன் ஆராய்ச்சி செய்து சொன்ன பிறகு?

What a shame? Two generations have forgotten the benefit of this rice!! Will anyone now go for this??

Dear Ganesh,

The greatness of pazhanchORu is floating in the net since 2013 !!

This page, dated 6-3-2013 - Overnight Cooked Rice Soaked In PlainWater…Healthy Breakfast says:

''You will be happy to know that the American Nutritionist had listed the following benefits that accrue to the body

if you stick to the practice of consuming such soaked rice.

1. Consuming this rice as break-fast keeps the body light and also energetic.

2. Beneficial bacteria gets produced in abundance for the body.

3. Stomach ailments disappear when this is consumed in the morning, as, excessive and harmful heat retained in the

body is neutralized.

4. As this food is very fibrous, it removes constipation and also dullness in the body.

5. Blood pressure is normalised and hypertension subsides appreciably.

6. Body feels less tired due to this food as a result of which one feels fresh through out the day.

7. This removes allergy induced problems and also skin related ailments.

8. It removes all types of ulcers in the body.

9. Fresh infections are kept at bay due to consuming this rice.

10. It helps in maintaining youthful and radiant look.

Once you consume this, the body does not crave for tea or coffee. In the olden days, people who worked in the

fields used to leave their houses in the early morning after consuming this soaked rice and worked hard for over

8 to 10 hours non-stop.''

:cool: . . . :thumb:

P.S: Caption is Tamil fails to attract more readers! :sad:

BTW, ''பழஞ் சோறு'' is the correct spelling!

It is effective if an earthen pot or kalchatti is used to soak the cooked rice overnight! :)

Nostalgia:

My dad used to cultivate either சீரகச்சம்பா or ஆனைக்கொம்பன் variety of paddy in our lands for home consumption even though the per hectare yield was comparatively poor. The IR-8 variety and other hybrids which was also cultivated used to be sold as the yield was good and the crop was sturdy. The சீரகச்சம்பா or ஆனைக்கொம்பன் was a tasty rice variety reserved exclusively for home consumption.

I used to take (in fact all children at home used to take) பழையது every day in the morning as breakfast. The pazhaiyathu that was kept soaked in water over night in either earthern or lead ware. They used to call it மண் பானை or ஈயக்கச்சட்டி. It was mixed with cow milk curd (home made) and served with a lot of love and affection and of course a மாவடு. The cow was our own and my grandmother used to do the task of milking the cow every day. In memory of her, I retain even today the wooden tripod she was using to sit on for the purpose of milking the cow. There were always two cows in the கொட்டில்(cow-shed) at our home. When one cow was pregnant the other was yielding and vice versa.

பழஞ்சோறு (பழையது), சீரகச்சம்பா, ஆனைகொம்பன், ஈயக்கச்சட்டி and of course the Grandma everything has become just memories. Time is indeed ruthless.

Last edited:
I am reminded of a nice kalchatti that my mom used, to prepare the

yummy puLikkAchchal and vaththak kuzambu. It was also used to boil

all the left over curries together, on srAddhams of our grandparents.

With yummy 'thachchi mammam', the mixed curries will vanish in minutes,

when we siblings sit in a semicircle in front of our mom. She will

give balls of 'thachchi mammam' topped with a spoonful of curry.

That unique taste is something we can never forget. :hungry:

Nostalgia (contd...).....

Every (fullmoonday) பௌர்ணமி we children in the family were treated to a dinner in the moonlight. My grandma used to prepare the
தயிர் சாதம் sufficient for all the children in the family. We used to sit in the moonlight in the முற்றம் of the house in a semi circle around our grandma and grandma used to place in our hand the thayir sadam. On such நிலாச்சாப்பாடு times it was invariably தயிர் சாதம் accompanied by கீரைக்குழம்பு. This கீரைக்குழம்பு was just keerai prepared for the lunch added to the sambar prepared for the lunch. And grandma used to tell us wonderful stories as she served the rice. She was a voracious reader. It is she who cultivated in us the interest in reading. She introduced me to வாண்டுமாமாவின் மாயப்பந்து. After a particular point she asked me to read கல்கி directly and follow the story. And that introduced me to reading Kalki. Then I started reading the serialized novels of Kalki like அலை ஓசை, பார்த்திபன் கனவு, பொன்னியின் செல்வன் etc., and became a regular reader of Tamil weeklies. Then I included Vikatan and Kumudam and relished reading துப்பறியும் சாம்பு, கன்னி மாடம் by சாண்டில்யன் etc.,

Time is indeed ruthless. LOL.

Last edited:
hi

pazhaya saadam with neer moru with veppilai katti oorugai.....some times saadha kanji also....becoz demand more and supply less

in tamil brahmin homes in 60s/70s....many children ...income less/one man income....

BTW, ''பழஞ் சோறு'' is the correct spelling!

It is effective if an earthen pot or kalchatti is used to soak the cooked rice overnight! :)

Raji Madam,

Yes..I realized..But I am unable to correct the title...Admin is requested to correct it ...

What is the right translation...Overnight cooked rice is very long..Similiar to Delhi where subway is translated in Hindi as Bhumigath paidal par path

The words like 'yogA' and 'karmA' have entered English dictionary !

So, we can recommend the original name - 'pazhayadhu' !!! ;)

The Government of Tamil Nadu, among its other welfare measures distribute 20 kgs of rice at free of cost (there is great demand for this) to every Rice Card Holders monthly and that way for ‘have-nots’, this nutritious food serves as breakfast accompanied with raw onion and green chillies.

But, of course, we do have some who look down this healthy food as ‘paupers food’.LOL

Rich kids used to eat 'pazhayadhu' with thick curd and pickles (usually mAvadu)!
Now a days, which rich kid cares to eat this stuff? :peep:

Poor (even now) eat with raw onions, green chilly and salt. :cool:

It is an ideal food for Chennai type climate. Once you have your fill as breakfast, you don't feel bad even if you work all day under the Sun. It'll be like an ac installed in your body.

It is the goodness that the rich mostly overlook in the overnight fermented rice as usual.

Even we discuss this topic in this Forum only after publication of a study report by வெள்ளைக்காரன்.

Most pay importance and significance only after research reports of வெள்ளைக்காரன்.

It is a shame indeed as has been opined by the thread opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back