• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Self-styled spiritual gurus in India

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a phenomenon which has not been studied. What makes then popular? How do they get to attract people? I have heard Ashram Babu. Nothing great about his speech.

Until and unless we are able to unravel the mystery of their attraction, they would continue to exploit people.

In india we look for figures we can look upto.

These Godmen with their attractive talk draw gullible males and females.

We want someone to pour out our personal and professional problems and expect some endearing words and advice.

India is the land where spiritual yearnings of the people have attained their maximum fulfilment.

For every true diamond, there will be many fakes. Sri Ramakrishna used to say "One must test a Guru, like one would test a gold coin" or something of that sort.

There is also the saying "Follow the Guru's teachings, don't follow his life".

Because attaining Self-realization is quite different from the prarabdha that rules each person's life.

It is quite possible that for a person who has attained self-realization, his body performs certain acts that are condemned by the general public. That doesn't make the person any less realized.

.......It is quite possible that for a person who has attained self-realization, his body performs certain acts that are condemned by the general public. That doesn't make the person any less realized.
OMG!!! :faint:

India is the land where spiritual yearnings of the people have attained their maximum fulfilment.

For every true diamond, there will be many fakes. Sri Ramakrishna used to say "One must test a Guru, like one would test a gold coin" or something of that sort.

There is also the saying "Follow the Guru's teachings, don't follow his life".

Because attaining Self-realization is quite different from the prarabdha that rules each person's life.

It is quite possible that for a person who has attained self-realization, his body performs certain acts that are condemned by the general public. That doesn't make the person any less realized.

hi

there is saying....nadhi moolam and rishi moolam parka koodathu....means every godman has some kind of personal life...

..there is saying....nadhi moolam and rishi moolam parka koodathu....means every godman has some kind of personal life...
Not true! Some gems of Gurus DO exist, like MahAperiyavA.
award_star.png

Whatever 'moolam' the self proclaimed God-men have, they are NOT supposed to lead a SENSUOUS life, when they are Gurus! :nono:

I know a Guruji in Coimbatore, who used to travel in the latest SUV air-conditioned cars! :car:

Wherever he goes, many mAmis will bring lot of yummy items in silver cups and place it in front of him, to eat! :hungry:

He used to look like a 'Jalatharangam' vidhwan, who has a number of cups in front of him! :D

Whatever 'moolam' the self proclaimed God-men have, they are NOT supposed to lead a SENSUOUS life, when they are Gurus! :nono:

It's an interesting point in our philosophy. It's prarabdha that rules each person's life. If the past life karma of a girl is such that she should take part in a conjugal act with a god-realized soul, then nature will bring in the circumstances accordingly. If you think about it, the bodies will follow nature's laws, but before, during the act and afterwards, the mind of the saint will remain detached from the worldly life and will remain in the bliss of Brahman.

hi

there is saying....nadhi moolam and rishi moolam parka koodathu....means every godman has some kind of personal life...

Exactly my point. In Kalidasa's Kumarasambhavam, Parvati devi says "The ways of the divine sages are incomprehensible to ordinary man who blames them with his paltry understanding " :)

Of course, all this need not apply to the so-called godmen under discussion :)

It's an interesting point in our philosophy. It's prarabdha that rules each person's life. If the past life karma of a girl is such that she should take part in a conjugal act with a god-realized soul, then nature will bring in the circumstances accordingly. If you think about it, the bodies will follow nature's laws, but before, during the act and afterwards, the mind of the saint will remain detached from the worldly life and will remain in the bliss of Brahman.

hi

becoz of PRARBDHA KARMA.....some famous acharyas went to jail.....every individual has to go through prarbdha kar,a/sanchita

karmas..

Last edited:
Hmmmm....

You can give an example: Lord Krishna was a lifelong BrahmachAri, in spite of having so many consorts!! :grouphug:

And, these 'Saints' can declare that they 'blessed' those girls by their 'plAnA' acts!! :lol:

Well...I think you can apply this test..

The self realized soul will be absolutely fearless. You can impale him or crucify him or inflict other inhuman torture on his body. For the acts that his body had done, he will not try to escape punishment or try to defend himself, hoping to get a lenient sentence. What happens to the body is of no concern to him.

Whatever he wishes, will come true. Sometimes if he is falsely accused of something, he might still defend himself as lord Krishna did, if by that defence some good might happen to the world. Since all wishes of a realized soul becomes true, he will then successfully clear his name.

He will never express regret for his actions. His words will show a remarkable consistency till the very end. They will be very consistent with that of other great saints.

He will never say he "blessed" the girls, the "victims"...as he knows these acts were performed by himself as a mere instrument in the hands of nature.

Last edited:
Thinking about lord Krishna and his life, even for a few minutes, is so purifying to the mind :)

Not true! Some gems of Gurus DO exist, like MahAperiyavA.
award_star.png

Was Mahaperiyava not caste centric?

It is said he used to take bath whenever he had conversation in Tamil. Is it true?

If the theory of Prarabha is applied for criminal acts then we can also says its the Karma of the so called Saint to be " blessed" to have a stint in prison!

Lets get real...a crime is a crime.
Lets not try to justify any criminal act by saying its the Karma of the girl to be raped by a guru/saint and it should be considered a blessing.

This sort of thinking only exposes a psycopathic mind that manipulates the victim into believing that she is lucky to be abused for its a rare privilige earned tru merits of previous karma.

All these so called Karma theories to justify crime would only be applied for males..just say a married woman runs away with her married neighbor..would anyone say its the call of her previous birth karma ?

Nope!
Right away a heap of abuses would be unfolding and she would be seen as an evil..impure..unchaste entity.

At the end of the day we have to be honest..its better to be rank haraami and call ourselves "I am bad and you know it" instead of being a hypocrite who tries to escape on the grounds of Karma..its like a person who has no balls to admit he/she is a haraami.

Last edited:
The Swami Syndrome

The following article came after Nityananda was exposed on TV .But the message is important and warning for many people especially Urban Middle Class youth you get trapped in the programs and activities of many New Age Gurus .Note : I am not against many of the New Age Gurus or their programs mentioned in this article but want people to take what is essential and useful for them and handle their life which is in front of them instead of living in the myth that everything is rosy after attending few programs or courses offered by these new age Gurus .
http://theanarchyfix.wordpress.com/

Another day. Another Swami. Over the last few days, all television channels have been abuzz with news of the Nithyananda scandal, a sting operation which has captured the swami in a compromising position with a popular actress. As expected, this has incensed the general public who have damaged his ashrams and burnt his effigies. A swami getting exposed is not a new occurrence. In spite of this, why do people fall prey to these fraudsters time and again? To understand this, one needs to take an in depth look into this complex relationship.

A country like India has never been in dearth of religious gurus. From the usual street corner tantrik or fakir to high profile gurus such as Sai Baba, Amrita, DGS Dinakaran etc, the gurus are many. In fact, the gurus would probably outnumber the different gods of all religions put together. Traditionally, their roles were mostly restricted to performing gimmicks such as vomiting lingams and necklaces, giving out oracles (arul vaaku) and spewing out some Sanskrit mumbo jumbo which no one can make any sense of. People like DGS Dinakaran made their riches by organizing miracle gatherings where ‘acts of god’ were performed. This included things like people suffering from incurable diseases being cured instantly, the physically challenged being able to walk etc. In addition to making millions out of people’s misery, these people often wielded powerful political clouts which gave them elite status. Most often, the people who were followers of these gurus were poles apart. They were either the super rich or the very poor. But this trend took a change during the mid 90s. With the advent of globalisation, not only did the society in general begin to evolve, so did the gurus. With a burgeoning middle class, the swamis adopted new techniques to tap this new market.

Though globalisation has been a bane for many, it has also been a boon for some.
With more and more multinationals setting shop in various metros, the young and educated middle class benefited the most from the job opportunities created by these new ventures. Though their new careers helped them procure the material comforts which they have always dreamt of, the stressful work life left them burnt out with little time or energy to enjoy those riches. Instead of introspecting into the reasons and system which has led to such a situation, more of these ‘educated and knowledgeable’ people went in search of gurus who will be able to rid them of all these worries. The gurus capitalised on this need and came up with different fancy ideas to make money. Programs such as ‘The Art of Living’ by Ravishankar, ‘LifeBliss Foundation’ by Nithyananda, “Transcendental Meditation movement” by Mahesh Yogi claim to show us how to lead a better life through Yoga and meditation.

A closer look at all these programs and discourses will show all that these gurus preach are basic facts of life known by everyone. But each one claims that their program is the only means by which one can achieve happiness and peace. And these programs do not come cheap. They are specifically designed for the corporate world and cost thousands of dollars. Naturally, the participants feel rejuvenated at the end of the program. If someone is housed in a serene environment with all facilities for a few days and does nothing but relax and enjoy clean and fresh air, they are bound to feel good. There is nothing spiritual or magical about it. But this temporary escape will vanish when reality returns. When these gurus get exposed, it obviously aggravates the followers because all these days they were being fed with crap that ‘worldly pleasures’ are bad and one needs to rid themselves of such ‘pleasures’ in order to achieve ‘true happiness’. When they see the same guy who said such things indulging in those ‘pleasures’, they feel cheated. Their misery is analogous to that of people who lose money by investing heavily in chit funds. They are not angry that they have been foolish enough to let themselves be cheated by someone who only told them those things that they wanted to hear; they are just angry that they didn’t choose the ‘right’ guru.

Even when these swamis get defamed, no doubt some people will still continue to stand by them. Others will continue their quest to find a ‘more effective’ guru. Its almost as if they need one guru or the other to tell them how to lead their lives. Unless they realize that the real reason for their miseries is the capitalist fueled economies and that these gurus are actually encouraged and supported by the very same biggies who exploit them, there will be no reprieve from this syndrome. Today, it is Nithyananda. Tomorrow, it’ll be someone else.

Was Mahaperiyava not caste centric?

It is said he used to take bath whenever he had conversation in Tamil. Is it true?

As a Sanyasi of his order he is bound to take frequent baths, both in good and bad health. otherwise I don't think his taking bath has anything to do with Tamil. In his lectures he has referred to Tamil language with the greatest respect.

If the theory of Prarabha is applied for criminal acts then we can also says its the Karma of the so called Saint to be " blessed" to have a stint in prison!

Who denies it? I presume your message is in response my point on karma. But it seems you didn't get the point at all.
Everything that happens in this world is related to past karma, and that includes the karma upto the past second.A statement of that fact is to not justify any particular act.

Lets get real...a crime is a crime.
Lets not try to justify any criminal act by saying its the Karma of the girl to be raped by a guru/saint and it should be considered a blessing.

You are putting unsaid words in to my mouth and making wrong interpretations based on, what I feel, is your skewed understanding of karma. I never said that such an act should be considered a blessing. Anybody, the saint or the sinner, has to go thru the consequences of any act that he performs in this world. If a saint gets arrested, that is also part of his prarabdha karma. But in the case of the self realized soul, his mind will have gone beyond the world, hence he has attained a level of immunity which makes him enjoy throughout the suffering and incarceration, while in the case of an ordinary man or a fake saint, he will undergo genuine suffering.

All these so called Karma theories to justify crime would only be applied for males..just say a married woman runs away with her married neighbor..would anyone say its the call of her previous birth karma ?

Definitely a person with some awareness of karmic effects will emphatically say this. Moreover, if you check the horoscope of the married woman, you will see some indicators that will point out her inclination to this act. Horoscope being one way of verifying past life karmic effects.

At the end of the day we have to be honest..its better to be rank haraami and call ourselves "I am bad and you know it" instead of being a hypocrite who tries to escape on the grounds of Karma..its like a person who has no balls to admit he/she is a haraami.

What is there ""better"" in being a rank haraami and call yourself, "I am bad and you know it"? Are you saying that, for a girl, being raped by a serial rapist who takes pride in his ability to get it done, is somehow a better deal than, let's say, being raped by someone who was a victim of momentary passions, regrets his act afterwards and readies himself to take punishment for his act?

Last edited:
Who denies it? I presume your message is in response my point on karma. But it seems you didn't get the point at all.
Everything that happens in this world is related to past karma, and that includes the karma upto the past second.A statement of that fact is to not justify any particular act.

You are putting unsaid words in to my mouth and making wrong interpretations based on, what I feel, is your skewed understanding of karma. I never said that such an act should be considered a blessing. Anybody, the saint or the sinner, has to go thru the consequences of any act that he performs in this world. If a saint gets arrested, that is also part of his prarabdha karma. But in the case of the self realized soul, his mind will have gone beyond the world, hence he has attained a level of immunity which makes him enjoy throughout the suffering and incarceration, while in the case of an ordinary man or a fake saint, he will undergo genuine suffering.

Definitely a person with some awareness of karmic effects will emphatically say this. Moreover, if you check the horoscope of the married woman, you will see some indicators that will point out her inclination to this act. Horoscope being one way of verifying past life karmic effects.

What is there ""better"" in being a rank haraami and call yourself, "I am bad and you know it"? Are you saying that, for a girl, being raped by a serial rapist who takes pride in his ability to get it done, is somehow a better deal than, let's say, being raped by someone who was a victim of momentary passions, regrets his act afterwards and readies himself to take punishment for his act?

Horoscope at times only predicts Mannangatti.

There is a lot of guess work in horoscope.

Coming to the act of rape...whether there is remorse or not later it does not make a difference..its still a crime...passion or not..its still a crime.

Both are haraamis...only the grade differs but at least if a serial rapist admits he is a haraami he is still better than a guy who rapes a girl and says "Aiyoo Amma..I was influenced by my prarabhada karma...Amma Thaiye! I shouldnt have raped you...Aiyoo..I will fall on your feet...I will surrender to police or I will marry you..Amma forgive me"

Please!The 2nd one is worse cos he tries to justify his act...many do all cock and bull then later act remorseful to just escape on some grounds of sympathy.

A hard core criminal is better than a smooth criminal.

Best is leave Karma Shawarma out of the equation when it comes to crime.

There is no Penal Code for any crime done due to past karma!LOL

Last edited:
Coming to the act of rape...whether there is remorse or not later it does not make a difference..its still a crime...passion or not..its still a crime.

Both are haraamis...only the grade differs but at least if a serial rapist admits he is a haraami he is still better than a guy who rapes a girl and says "Aiyoo Amma..I was influenced by my prarabhada karma...Amma Thaiye! I shouldnt have raped you...Aiyoo..I will fall on your feet...I will surrender to police or I will marry you..Amma forgive me"

Please!The 2nd one is worse cos he tries to justify his act...many do all cock and bull then later act remorseful to just escape on some grounds of sympathy.

But in what way is a serial rapist better? Are you saying, if a serial rapist admits he is a haraami, and says "Amma..I am a haraami, this raping is what my haraami hormones impel me to do..Amma Thaiye! It is nothing personal. Given a chance, I will rape each and every woman I encounter in the street the same way as I did with you. So it is all part of my haraami makeup. Amma forgive me....it's nothing personal..." he is not trying to justify his act or trying to escape on some grounds of sympathy?

A hard core criminal is better than a smooth criminal.

So in your POV a Kasab-like serial rapist is better and merits a lesser sentence, or are you saying, let us even release him to the outside world because, he is after all, a haraami per his own admission, hence no punishment can really change him?

Last edited:
Best is leave Karma Shawarma out of the equation when it comes to crime.

There is no Penal Code for any crime done due to past karma!LOL

Its interesting..But imho our understanding of prarabdha Karma really matters....thats why I took up the point so much in my earlier message.

You see, almost everyone in this world of karma will try to justify his crime, will seek a reduced sentence. Because the world is ruled by fear. A serial rapist will also try. Most likely he will be ready to commit other dastardly crimes, just to remove evidence of his commission of the offence and thus escape punishment.

Whereas there's just one person who will not ask for forgiveness or seek a reduced sentence but will cheerfully accept all events. And that is the self-realized soul. Since he has truly gone beyond the field of karma and become absolutely fearless.

To state that all things happen due to prarabdha karma does not mean a passive acceptance of life nor is it a means to escape the consequences of one's act.

So...karma shawarma does matter :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back