• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Significance of dharbai - (holigrass)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Holy Grass known as Dharbham or Dharbai

This article is on one of the practices widely used by Indian Brahmins all over using a Holy Grass named Dharbham or Dharbai.

In all functions, auspicious orinauspicious, a performing person needs to wear a ring made of this Dharbham. But many have lost the reason of why it is to be used in the first place.

What I learnt from my father is proved to be accurately correct by a Medicine Practitioner.

A Doctor named Sadhashiv Rao, once visited my home. When thetopic turned to many subjects, I needed to tell him about the Holy Grass named Dharbham.

When I told him about the usage and the values, he could not just believe my words.

So, he took out a bunch of the Dharbham from me, went straight to the clinic to take an x-ray of his palm, by covering his hand with the Dharbham. To his utter surprise, he found that the grass absorbed about 60% of the radiation!

When the so powerful X-ray radiation can be absorbed by the Holy Grass, why can it not absorb the ill radiations spread over the atmosphere?

While chanting and reciting some Vedic phrases and versus, one needs to wear a ring made of Dharbham on his right hand ring finger.

The count of leaves depends upon the function that is held viz.: for some functions related to death only Single leafed Dharbham is used;

for Auspicious and daily routine a ring made of two leaves is used; for inauspicious but not death related functions, (i.e. Amavasya Tharppanam,Pithru Pooja etc) a three leaf Dharbham ring is used.

And for the Temple Prayer and Pooja, a Four-leaf Dharbham ring is used.

Also, when a fire ritual known as Agni Santana is performed, these Dharbham are spread all the four sides of the Agni Kundam. Also, during the Eclipse time,
these Dharbham are used to cover all food items to protect them from the harmful ultra violet radiation.

Whenever any function is held, firstly they perform a site-cleansing act known as Sudhhi Punyaahavachanam .
While reciting the selective versus, they hold the Dharbham bunch in their hand and placing the tip point of it over the vessel containing water.

Thus the recited vibration values are absorbed by water in the vessel through the Dharbham.

They found that the Holy Grass known as Dharbham has the highest value in conducting the phonetic vibrations through its tip. Later, they sprinkle the Holy water at every nook and corner of the place, where the function is held.

A Dharbham without the tip is considered of no value, as the conductor-type value is lost in it.

My father, Late Shri Ramabathrachariar of Mukkur,
fondly called by everyone as Sriraman, has given me the immense values of Dharbham and its usage.
With Sanskrit phonetic sound and vibration, using the Dharbham increases its value.

The usage varies according to the functions. It is really a marvel, that in those days of Vedic Era, the Sages Saints of Hindu land used to control the Magnetic path disturbances, just by simply using this Dharbham!

Apart from the above, Dharbham cannot be planted and grown everywhere.

It only grows naturally at selective places and available almost in every state in India.

Some learned scholars name it after Saint Vishwaamitra -
hence Dharbham is known and called as Vishwaamitra.
If it is kept for a longer time, say for more than six months, then it loses it value and the power of absorbing the radiation or magnetic path control values.

Dharbham cannot just be plucked straight or cut on any day; There is a specific Slokha that is to be recited before cutting it;

That too it can be cut only on the day next to Full Moon - known as Krishna Paksha Pradamai.

A Dharbham without its tip portion is not to be used for making a Ring like item known as "Pavithram".

This article was sent to me by one of my friend, i thought this will be useful to share this information in this forum .

Namassadhasae.

Nice and thought provoking post. Ideal posting for a website like this.

Kattai dharpam is called as 'Viswamithram' (the residue after using the nuni dharpam for pavithram & koorcham). This kattai dhrpam is used for asanam (for kartha and the sthanam bramins) and while taking sankalpam alongwith pavithram.

Pls keep posting such nice informative bits.

அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை
அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே

origin of dharbai

some of the popular views on the origin of dharbai is as follows

Said to have been produced from the palazhi madanam(churning of the ocean of milk).lord in the form of koorma tortoise was supporting the mountain
this churning rubbed off the hairs of deva and the hair cast ashore by waves got deposited ,took root and formed the Dharba.thats why it is so rough
another view goes this way, like ,it fell from the pot of amritha which mohini(lord mahavishnu disguised) was carrying and so it is very sacred as amrutham.
god while greedily drinking amritha -the effect of their hardwork , spilled some portion unknowingly on grass which thus became this sacred.

Darbha Grass is identified with
Lord Visnu and is believed to possess the power to purify anything. It is
worshipped on Darbhashtami in the month Bhadrapada (August-September).

Last edited:
The following is a story that explains the origin of
darbha's function as a purifying agent on par with water.

this is from the book "kurai onrum illai'
by Sri Mukkoor Lakshmi Narasimhacharya

[No mention about which puraaNam this story occurs] Indra once hurled his
vajraayudha at vritraasura. But the weapon had no impact on him. Sri
Brahma saw this and took the weapon and dipped it in his kamandalu and gave
it to Indra and asked him to use it after that. When Indra used the weapon
against vritraasura this time, the weapon was very powerful and wounded him
in several ways and was cutting his various limbs and organs of the body.
Seeing that his end was near, he wanted to take his revenge before his
death.

He thought that the pure water in which Sri Brahma had dipped the weapon was
the real power behind the weapon. So he decided to pollute all the waters
in the entire world. So he ran to all the waters sources and dipped his
bleeding body in them and thus defiling them to ensure that there was no
pure water anywhere. Sri Brahma saw this and in order to prevent him from
defiling all water sources, he transformed the remaining pure water bodies
into darbha grass.

This is the reason for the darbha grass being treated on par with water as a
purifying agent. There are situations where water cannot be used for
purifying. Under such circumstances darbha is used instead of water. Ex:
When performing homa or yajna, the ghee that is to be offered is to be
purified. Obviously ghee cannot be washed with water. Instead, two darbha
grasses are taken and passed through the ghee and this purifies the ghee as
much as water would purify. Another example: during eclipse we are supposed
to not cook and whatever is in the home should be washed. Items like
furniture, floor and bed can be washed with water. But long term food items
like pickles,
ghee, sugar, salt etc cannot be washed by water. Hence is the practice of
putting two pieces of darbha grass in all the food stuffs and here again,
darbha is believed to act as a purifier. pavitram [the adornment of the
ring finger during rituals] that is prepared from darbha grass is considered
important for completing the samkalpa without hindrance.

I have observed vaideegal asking the relatives to keep dharbai below the head of the person who is dead when samskarams are performed.There must be some significance in this practice.

A Doctor named Sadhashiv Rao, once visited my home. When thetopic turned to many subjects, I needed to tell him about the Holy Grass named Dharbham.

When I told him about the usage and the values, he could not just believe my words.

So, he took out a bunch of the Dharbham from me, went straight to the clinic to take an x-ray of his palm, by covering his hand with the Dharbham. To his utter surprise, he found that the grass absorbed about 60% of the radiation!

I would like to know if this experiment has been repeated by anybody else and recorded.

I think, visvamitram grass is different from dharbam. While the latter is serrated the former is not. Visvamitram is used only by Vaishnavas.

Could anybody tell me whether the Barhis mentioned in the Vedas is the same as Kusa, darba?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back