• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Caste And Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car driver, a Nadar is a converted christian .A hindu by birth when he faced extreme hardship he was induced by the local church to convert in return for

accommodation,education of children in convents .Recently I attended his daughters marriage with a christian priest.His close relations are all hindus. Interestingly, in

their community,religion is not as important as caste.If a Nadar christian girl marries a hindu nadar, she becomes Hindu automatically Similarly Nadar hindu marrying

a christian becomes christian. What changes is religion and not caste.They marry mostly within the community.

Are we only a caste based society and not religion based?.

It might not be a bad idea to open our minds and absorb more akin to us in brahmin caste to increase our numbers.LOL.Ramanuja is supposed to have done

that.What say you?

But almost everyone of the myriad castes have maintained that the caste system has been imposed from the top through the instruments of religion. It is with this stick that they browbeat the brahmins. If this were to be true, then shouldn't this edifice crumble when one changes the religion?

In higher social circles, caste and religion do not count for much.

I attended one such wedding. Son of parents -Father malayalee menon,Mother gujerati brahmin got married to a Muslim girl With nikah conducted by muslim priests.

A few hundreds attended the wedding reception.Boys father when congratulated remarked that the girl is not his choice and told me to congratulate son.

The boy did not convert to islam. This is indias upper class. Children decide whom they will marry in case they marry at all.Before marriage they date a few before

committing to anyone. Parents feel happy that marry at all.Economic independece of with higher education and high paying jobs has made girls to set terms to boys

Boys simply cave in if they are in love with the girl.In the marriage which got solemnised , muslim girls parents and relatives did not turn up.Only a couple of friends of girl

were present.This is new indias upper class.

In higher social circles, caste and religion do not count for much.

I attended one such wedding. Son of parents -Father malayalee menon,Mother gujerati brahmin got married to a Muslim girl With nikah conducted by muslim priests.

A few hundreds attended the wedding reception.Boys father when congratulated remarked that the girl is not his choice and told me to congratulate son.

The boy did not convert to islam. This is indias upper class. Children decide whom they will marry in case they marry at all.Before marriage they date a few before

committing to anyone. Parents feel happy that marry at all.Economic independece of with higher education and high paying jobs has made girls to set terms to boys

Boys simply cave in if they are in love with the girl.In the marriage which got solemnised , muslim girls parents and relatives did not turn up.Only a couple of friends of girl

were present.This is new indias upper class.

I don't think all upper class marriages are conducted like the one you mentioned.

Why was the marriage conducted by Muslim Priests, since the boy is from Hindu faith? The explanation of boy's father is very absurd, since the wedding was conducted as per religious custom of one faith.

This clearly shows how disciplined are Hindus in following their customs.

Next time if you happen to meet the boy's father please ask the above question.

In one Tamil Move that came more than 20 years back ( do not know the name ) but the Villian who is Caste Fanatic utters this dialogue " God may or may not be there .I do not care for it . But caste is real for sure " .

Prof. M N Srinivas world renowned Indian Sociologist sees caste as a segmentary system. "Every caste for him divided into sub castes which are the units of endogamy whose members follow a common occupation, social and ritual life and common culture and whose members are governed by some authoritative body like the caste panchayat"
Education and migration to new field of economic activity has certainly helped the change in the Social structure of Caste to some extent.

But will the politicians who rule the Country allow disintegration of Caste system is a big question !

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

hi

with out caste....no hindu religion....like wise sikh has some sub castes too...muslims have some upper/lower divisions...

even in indian christianity has upper/lower systems....so every human society has some kind od upper and lower systems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back