• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

85% Indian youth not trained for any job, says Murthy. Agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishna100

85% Indian youth not trained for any job, says Murthy. Agree?
Infosys founder Narayan Murthy blames rote learning as the reason why India is unable to produce good entrepreneurs. Do you agree?
http://www.rediff.com/getahead/repo...ed-for-any-job-says-murthy-agree/20180420.htm

Narayan Murthy isn't an easy man to please. And if you ask him a question, be prepared to deal with his honest (and brutal) response.

The Infosys founder, has in the past, expressed his concern about the quality of IITians and the importance of revising current education at various ocassions.

In his keynote address at the Pan IIT Summit in New York on October 3, Murthy said, "Save the top 20 per cent who crack the tough IIT entrance exam and can stand among the best anywhere in the world, the quality of the remaining 80 per cent of students leaves much to be desired."

The comment had sparked a debate among professors from the IIT.

Recently while interacting with students at the Asian College of Journalism in Chennai, he said: "Most Indian youngsters (about 80 to 85 per cent) are not trained suitably for any job."

"Our education system which focuses on learning by rote is not good for becoming entrepreneurs," chairman emeritus, Infosys Limited added, reported The Hindu.

When asked about the future of entrepreneurship in India, he emphasised the importance of adapting to the times, exchanging ideas and staying humble.

Sharing his insights, he said: "India somehow doesn’t seem to encourage exchange of ideas between its citizens and foreigners.

"Currently, there is a theory that we were second to none during Rama's rule…that we had rockets and airplanes. That’s not right.

"We have to be measured by what we are today, not what happened 5,000 years ago.

"We have to be humble and open-minded to learn from others. Unless we become an open society with an open mind, I don't think we will be in a position to help our youngsters become better entrepreneurs," he added.

Dear readers, do you think Narayan Murthy is right about India's education system and youth?

Share your views in the poll below:

hi

as a teacher in my life.....my father was school teacher....i worked as school teacher in india,,,i did bachelors/master in education..we

are more theory based education system....not more real practical...i like in USA schhool system....every child in high school

has to complete 40 VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY SERVICE....i never had in india about VOLUNTEERISM AS FOR COMMUNITY SERVICES..

we have more books than knowledge in school level....we followed stiill british system in many ways...

Many Engineering Collages are now being shut down as not many students are enrolling in it . The ones mostly shutting down should have never been started in the first place and they were just fly by night operators catching on the Engineering Education boom which has gone bust now .

Well. My answer is "no" to Mr. Narayan Murthy's contention. Had the Indian system of education is so bad, our youngsters would not shine so well in competitive fields abroad. I do agree opening of educational institutions indiscriminately for making money has certainly spoiled the educational discipline to some extent, but quite a number of private institutions have produced good crops as well.
Our main problem is political interference in every field of progressive activity. Unfettered freedom spoils the progress of a nation. Another important factor is stagnation of thinking.Too much of dependence on "old is gold" hampers progressive thinking. As Swami Chinmayananda used to tell " had we put a lid/cork, to our mind" we would not got a Sankara or Ramanuja. Stagnation kills initiative. This applies to all fields.

Mr. Murthy need not worry about the new generation of youngsters. All they need is encouragement for unfettered thinking.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

The mistake is employers should realize college is not a vocational training ground but its a foundation for theory..practical starts after finishing the foundation of knowledge.

A college or university wont be able to cover both teaching and vocational training at the same time.

If one focusses on vocational training too soon sans knowledge you wont get a graduate with a solid background of knowledge.

I remember when I came back from India..we Indian grads had solid knowledge but less practical experience but the grads from other countries had more practical experience but less knowledge..so.initially we Indian grads lagged a bit in practical.skills..but skills for procedures can be picked up easily but a foundation of knowledge cant..it has to be there from the start...that is where we overtook the other grads who lacked a solid knowledge foundation.

So for those who complain that grads are not trained for the job market..tell them..the grads have the foundation in knowledge its up to you now to shape them for your job requirement..you cant expect a ready made model to work right away.

In fact its easier shaping a " virgin" in the job field who will work the way best suited for you than to re train someone with a faulty vocational experience.

Job market involves training..working and continuing professional development...Employers should realize this instead of playing the blame game.

Last edited:
We can not ignore this reason:

1. Reservation in Education. When I was studying in High School, it was in a district in Tamilnadu where a particular community was dominent in numbers and in wealth. There were several beedi companies which were owned by these gentlemen and beedi was beeing sold all over Tamilnadu and beyond. They were stinking rich and their sons used to come to school in either cars or own two wheelers. And all of them, because they belonged to the backward community, got scholarships every year irrespective of marks earned. This money used to be spent by them as pocket money. They never bothered to study. On the 8th or every calendar quarter these boys will go to the Head Master's Room, sign a paper and get Rs.180/- in cash (that was a princely sum those days when two bananas used to cost cost just one Anna). These boys -those who went to college-would have continued to get this scholarship untill they completed their degree/PG.

I had to do without scholarship and depend on my father to finance my education fully. Only when I entered college I applied for Loan Scholarship from the Central Government for financing my education. I got it and repaid it after getting a job. It was given to meritorious students at a nominal interest rate of 3%p.a.

2. Reservation in Government appointments.
All college lecturers and school teachers are appointed on the roster basis keeping the reservation in tact. I do not have to say anything more about the result.
I have seen teachers feverishly puffing their cigarette on the way to class rooms, reluctantly stamping them out after a last puff to take classes.

2. Teaching has become just a process teaching. Concept teaching is totally absent in many schools. If the student, with his innate intelligence finds the concept he shines. Otherwise, the teacher never teaches concepts in the class room. And the poor children they learn by rote and score marks-even first classes because of their skill in learning things by heart.

3. A good number of engineers end up -again thanks to reservation-in a Government Department putting their initials(dhobi mark) to the counter foils of cheques and happily claiming their cut.

And can continue writing ...............

We have become a nation of cheats, rowdies, shameless slaves to money and scoundrels. Salary is our birth right while mamool is must for doing work.

Sir Winston Churchil is credited with this opinio0n which he expressed openly at the time we got independence;

"Power will go to the heads of rascals, rogues,freebooters: all Indian leaders will be of low calibre and men of straw. They will have sweet tongues and silly hearts.They will fight amongst themselves for power and India will be lost in political squabbles. A day would come when even air and water would be taxed in India."

And I wonder how true.

Last edited:
NRN is just a third rate industrialist who makes money thru arbitrage in Re -Dollar rates selling indian engg graduates sweat and making them do sub standard work which can be done by non engineers.Academically good engineers are under paid and misused by his company . He has made a pact with other IT companies to exploit engineers.Engineers are getting paid only what they were paid five years back Taking inflation into account , their salaries are halved.

Indian engrs from IITs are academically excellent and lack practical exposure.This can easily pick up in 3 or 4 months in a job.NRNs company requires strict control to prevent human exploitation.His comments on indian engineers are biased and uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back