• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Divine marriages always carry BRIDE S name? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We hear & attend "Radha Kalyanam", " Sita Kalyanam", " Rukmani Kalyanam" , " Parvathy Kalyanam" Mahotsavams etc.,

Even in mahabharat it is " Draupadi' s swayamvar" ( here it could be simpler to use instead of each of pandavas names)

We also sing "Gowri Kalyanam" vaibhogame............... during Unjal then including the brides and grooms names....

Is there any reason for not saying it as Rama Kalyanam, Krishna Kalyanam, Siva Kalyanam etc.,

While the women are always enshrined in the shastras as the NO 1 Karma yogi, is it the reason for such names being used..

May be many of you would contribute to make this understanding clear..............

I feel its just logical to put the womens name first becos mostly a woman married only once in the past.

Even in case of Draupadi it was Arjuna who won her..only then the fantastic 5 decided to make her their wife.

Also all so called divine marriages were Kshatriya marriages..Kshatriya males take many wives.

Lets take Dasharatha for example..3 Dharma patnis.

If we say Dasharatha Kalyanam..next question would be...Who is his wife this time around?

Eg..
Kaushalya Dasharatha Kalyanam
Kaikeyi Dasharatha Kalyanam
Sumitra Dasharatha Kalyanam.

Can we note that Dasharatha is a polygamist and his name keeps appearing in each Kalyanam?

But for a women in.the past mostly they married only once or one man...hence makes sense her name came 1st...thats why she had her name 1st on cos thats her only marriage but men got the bhagyam of being polygamists hence their names can appear 2nd becos it appear again and again in each marriage.

So its not Karma Yogi I feel..its just logic.
Best not to see divine reasons for us women. Dont glorify us too much becos we dont want to be Devis..we want to be human.
A Devi will have to endure but a human has her rights.

Last edited:
hi

lol,,,paternity through DNA test...

Takes time..right away when a woman is pregnant we only know for sure she is the mum...to know paternity we would need to take a sample of amniotic fluid for DNA or wait for child to be born to take a sample..so again...a time gap is there.

Those days no DNA testing..so only maternity was a certainity.

Would one want a Sita Kalyanam, for their daughter? That parent must be hating his daughter.

14 years of a jail sentence, abduction, captivity, etc.
After returning expulsion from the country for life.
Single motherhood, raising boys without the husband.

Does that sound like Happy life?

I would not sing Sita Kalyanam as a blessing.

This post is in the general section. I am talking of marriage in the society, not the divine.

Not to hurt any religious sentiment.

Last edited:
Would one want a Sita Kalyanam, for their daughter? That parent must be hating his daughter.

14 years of a jail sentence, abduction, captivity, etc.
After returning expulsion from the country for life.
Single motherhood, raising boys without the husband.

Does that sound like Happy life?

I would not sing Sita Kalyanam as a blessing.

This post is in the general section. I am talking of marriage in the society, not the divine.

Not to hurt any religious sentiment.

Agreed!

It sounds more like a Divorce case and Single motherhood.

Draupadi too didnt have a great marriage despite 5 husbands cos none of them stood up for her at the time of need.

I think only Lord Krishna kept His consorts happy.

Actually, the song 'SeethA kayANa vaibhOgamE' tells

all the glories of Lord Rama ONLY!

And parents don't pray for the bride to have a life like Sita! :becky:

Vanakkam

There is also a term kanyadan, so perhaps that's why people fix bride's name when referring to a marriage.

Seetha kalyana vaibhogame is a nice song. I have heard Yesudas ji rendering it. It is just like honey to the ears. The version RR ji shared is beautiful, especially the veena.

Some people say that in this world no one can be Sita Mata and Lord Rama. Perhaps due to the hardship they endured. But many lessons can be learnt by going through their stories.

I recently saw a scene though the narrative was about the characters in the film, it made me think deep about many what ifs in the Ramayana. [video=youtube;deIQZ5YqERw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deIQZ5YqERw[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back