• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ganga water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanakkam,

I just got to know, that Ganga water that I got, after culmination of a yatra was poured down the sink, accidentally by a family member.
fear.gif

Not sure whether this is the right section to ask, but since it is about temples and pilgrimages, I thought to ask questions here. Should I be worried about this accidental error and anything should be done to rectify it? I prayed by heart that I will repeat the yatra again and collect the Ganga water again.

Agitated, but life goes on. Thank you.

Vanakkam,

I just got to know, that Ganga water that I got, after culmination of a yatra was poured down the sink, accidentally by a family member.
fear.gif

Not sure whether this is the right section to ask, but since it is about temples and pilgrimages, I thought to ask questions here. Should I be worried about this accidental error and anything should be done to rectify it? I prayed by heart that I will repeat the yatra again and collect the Ganga water again.

I am sorry that you are agitated. Hope you overcome that.
How many gallons of Ganga water flows into Bay of Bengal? Does it matter?
If Ganga is not worried about it, you too should not worry about it.
It is your Shraddha that makes it Holy, on its own, it is H2O only.

If it will help you you can buy Gangajal online and it will be delivered to your doorstep.

https://www.yesmywish.com/puja-and-worship-items/gangajal/gangajal-50ml

https://www.gangajal.com/

If that does not make it alright, you can always make a small donation of $1,000,000 to a poor brahmin (me) and I will absolve you of all sins. Just joking.

Last edited:
Vanakkam,

Thank you for the input Prasad ji. Ganga Maa is ever pure. So Maa can flow anywhere according to the nature, at least I would love to believe, Her presence makes some impact on consciousness and psyche of "some" if not all people in the vicinity, if that too it is Her will. This is the only setback that we, people far away from Ganga Maa would feel.

The very opportunity to collect some Ganga water in the yatra was cherished by me immensely. So to have at least a litre of Ganga water to be brought back felt something else.

I could not say Maa was mere H20. I myself witnessed in amazement how a few spoonfuls of Ganga water cured the pains, discomfort and some illnesses to the people I gave. I could feel the change in spaces that needed cleansing, only few sprinkles and the vibes changed for the better. Furthermore, the water collected can be shared to people who are in need, or those who can't afford to travel or frail. Maa surely finds ways to bless people.

I recall an incident shared by a nurse from my batch of yatra. There was a boy who was sexually assaulted and was in life support. She asked the permission of the mother to feed some water to the boy, and the mom approved. Few hours after that, the boy passed away. The nurse firmly believed Ganga Maa relieved the pain and suffering of the boy and took Her son away from this cruel world.

The agitation I felt, was because, a part of my altar was suddenly gone. I am sure that is for a reason. That is why I resolved to repeat the yatra again.

Thank you for pointing out the shradda part, as I am trying to better myself in that department, your advise was God-sent. Thank you very much.

Vanakkam,

fear.gif

Dear Sir...why worry.

Water be it Ganga or Thames or Nile is H20.

Water evaporates from River Ganga too and it becomes clouds and rain drops fall everywhere.

If you take a water from Ganga or Nile...both will only be H20 at a molecular level.

What makes it holy is our mind.

Logically there is nothing to fear.

Fear gives rise to superstition.

Superstition is the only error as far as I know.

Vanakkam,

Thank you Renuka ji for your input. I remember the family member only told me about what he did after a week, seeing how I value it.

I was agitated by the act but I accepted the accident happened and there must be a reason for it.

No superstition involved here, as we all at home do not get swayed by irrational things. It is only because I have witnessed few things with the few hundred mLs of the water at home, and I could not think Maa as mere H2O, retelling the incidents by me or happened to other people that I know can be misconstrued as cuyapuranam. So I live it at that.

The agitation and worry gone now, thankfully, as I resolved to repeat the yatra again. Thank you for the input again. It is always nice to hear your thoughts.

I am not an expert. In a religious program I attended one of the Hindu priest said that he is invoking the deities like Ganga in some water he had in a vessel. We are told to consider that water in that vessel as if it is Ganga or holy water. It is used to spray on people after a puja. So it all comes down to our attitudes and faith. Your family person did not not throw that Ganga water out of disrespect. Our religion is very forgiving and you have nothing to worry about.

It so happens occasionally by oversight while performing rituals. There is no intention involved. We pay all reverence to Holy Ganga water.

Please forget and you will be forgiven.

धर्मएवहतोहन्तिधर्मोरक्षतिरक्षितः
Dharma protects those who protect it!

While performing Kalasa puja we do recite mantras which does mean the sacred waters of all seas and rivers may come and bestow peace and bliss.

Hari OM

Vanakkam,

a-TB ji, thank you for your thoughts on this matter. Yes I do have similar thinking and considerations about the Ganga water. Yes, one can invoke the presence of the sacred rivers and then use them for purification purposes.

Appreciate the kind words. Thank you.

Vanakkam,

Thank you Renuka ji for your input. I remember the family member only told me about what he did after a week, seeing how I value it.

I was agitated by the act but I accepted the accident happened and there must be a reason for it.

No superstition involved here, as we all at home do not get swayed by irrational things. It is only because I have witnessed few things with the few hundred mLs of the water at home, and I could not think Maa as mere H2O, retelling the incidents by me or happened to other people that I know can be misconstrued as cuyapuranam. So I live it at that.

The agitation and worry gone now, thankfully, as I resolved to repeat the yatra again. Thank you for the input again. It is always nice to hear your thoughts.

Dear Sir..

I believe what you say..restorative value in water can cure some illnesses too partly becos we suffuse it with Shraddha and Bhakti.

My mums friend used to give me Shiva Linga Abhishekam water to use before.

After a while I stopped accepting not becos I didnt value it but I didnt want to differentiate any source of clean safe water cos everything finally goes back to 5 elements.

My views are nothing to do with the purport of this thread. I wish to share my experience on my pilgrimage in September 2001 to Gaumukh glacier at an altitude of 13900 ft.where the holy river starts in the Himalayas. We traveled by bus upto Gangothri, where the road ends. From Gangothri to Gaumukh glacier we have to take the bridle path along with Baghirathi (Ganga) river about 18 kms trek . We can walk the distance or take a mule ride. I preferred the second due to my age. We stayed at Bhojbasa at the distance of 14 kms. for the night.
Gaumukh is at 4 kms distance from this place.Next morning we started our journey and reached the holy place of Gaumukh where Baghirathi flows from the mouth underneath huge Glacier of about 300 ft. height.
It was a memorable experience.
While travelling from Gangothri to Bhojbasa I noticed yellow tinted rocks and glaciers on the other sides of Himalayas. I was told by the horseman that they are due to over flow of hot springs which contain large quantity of sulphur.
It is my view the mix of sulphur in the river may be the reason for its purity to sustain for long periods.
I may be wrong, but this may be one of the reasons for purity of water.

A word about Bhojbasa.Sanskrit: (भूर्ज )bhūrja is birch tree native to the Himalayas, growing at elevations up to 4,500 m (14,800 ft). The white, paper-like bark of the tree was used in ancient times for writing Sanskrit scriptures and texts.It is still used as paper for the writing of Scriptures, like Thalapathra (palm leaf) in South.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
My views are nothing to do with the purport of this thread. I wish to share my experience on my pilgrimage in September 2001 to Gaumukh glacier at an altitude of 13900 ft.where the holy river starts in the Himalayas. We traveled by bus upto Gangothri, where the road ends. From Gangothri to Gaumukh glacier we have to take the bridle path along with Baghirathi (Ganga) river about 18 kms trek . We can walk the distance or take a mule ride. I preferred the second due to my age. We stayed at Bhojbasa at the distance of 14 kms. for the night.
Gaumukh is at 4 kms distance from this place.Next morning we started our journey and reached the holy place of Gaumukh where Baghirathi flows from the mouth underneath huge Glacier of about 300 ft. height.
It was a memorable experience.
While travelling from Gangothri to Bhojbasa I noticed yellow tinted rocks and glaciers on the other sides of Himalayas. I was told by the horseman that they are due to over flow of hot springs which contain large quantity of sulphur.
It is my view the mix of sulphur in the river may be the reason for its purity to sustain for long periods.
I may be wrong, but this may be one of the reasons for purity of water.

A word about Bhojbasa.Sanskrit: (भूर्ज )bhūrja is birch tree native to the Himalayas, growing at elevations up to 4,500 m (14,800 ft). The white, paper-like bark of the tree was used in ancient times for writing Sanskrit scriptures and texts.It is still used as paper for the writing of Scriptures, like Thalapathra (palm leaf) in South.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear Sir...

Organic Sulphur has been known to have healing properties..ranging from being needed for amino acid building blocks..to insulin production to health of skin/hair.. and cell wall structure.

Come to think of it everything has a logical explanation finally.

Thank.you for writing about the sulphur aspect of the river Ganga...no wonder Lord Shiva has lovely thick matted hair with all the sulphur that flows down His head.

Dear Sir...
Organic Sulphur has been known to have healing properties..ranging from being needed for amino acid building blocks..to insulin production to health of skin/hair.. and cell wall structure.

Come to think of it everything has a logical explanation finally.

Thank.you for writing about the sulphur aspect of the river Ganga...no wonder Lord Shiva has lovely thick matted hair with all the sulphur that flows down His head.

Yes Doctor,

According to the Geological Survey of India, there are more than 300 hot springs that have been discovered in India, which are situated in their natural surroundings, or have unpretentious constructions around them, some of which have a religious connotation.

Hot water springs are found across the Himalayas. There are many springs that have religious importance such as the springs found in Badrinath, Yamunotri & Gaurikund. Other locations are Tapovan in Chamoli district, Ganganani, Birhi Valley & Dharchaula.

I have taken bath in Thaptha Kund in Badrinath, Gourikund in Kedarnath and Sulphur spring in Gangnani (on the way to Gangothri). All these places are considered holy for taking bath. Here we can smell the sulphur in the water. The spring water is so hot that they are mixed with cold water to take bath

As you know "the Himalayan Geothermal Belt was formed as a result of the collision of the Indian Plate with the Eurasian Plate, which created the Himalayas. The belt is more than 150 kilometres (93 mi) wide.The HGB has an extension to the westward that shows in warm or hot springs in the Peshawar region of Pakistan."
The only known thermal spring in the South is near Puttur in Dhakshina Kannanda District known as "the Bendru Teertha",(Tulu ಬೆಂದ್ರ್ ತೀರ್ಥ-boiled water), like all hot springs, the waters are known to cure certain skin ailments.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back