Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Vanakkam,

Thank you Renuka ji for the input.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    My views are nothing to do with the purport of this thread. I wish to share my experience on my pilgrimage in September 2001 to Gaumukh glacier at an altitude of 13900 ft.where the holy river starts in the Himalayas. We traveled by bus upto Gangothri, where the road ends. From Gangothri to Gaumukh glacier we have to take the bridle path along with Baghirathi (Ganga) river about 18 kms trek . We can walk the distance or take a mule ride. I preferred the second due to my age. We stayed at Bhojbasa at the distance of 14 kms. for the night.
    Gaumukh is at 4 kms distance from this place.Next morning we started our journey and reached the holy place of Gaumukh where Baghirathi flows from the mouth underneath huge Glacier of about 300 ft. height.
    It was a memorable experience.
    While travelling from Gangothri to Bhojbasa I noticed yellow tinted rocks and glaciers on the other sides of Himalayas. I was told by the horseman that they are due to over flow of hot springs which contain large quantity of sulphur.
    It is my view the mix of sulphur in the river may be the reason for its purity to sustain for long periods.
    I may be wrong, but this may be one of the reasons for purity of water.

A word about Bhojbasa.Sanskrit: (भूर्ज )bhūrja is birch tree native to the Himalayas, growing at elevations up to 4,500 m (14,800 ft). The white, paper-like bark of the tree was used in ancient times for writing Sanskrit scriptures and texts.It is still used as paper for the writing of Scriptures, like Thalapathra (palm leaf) in South.

Brahmanyan
    Bangalore.
    Last edited by Brahmanyan; 24-04-2018 at 09:30 PM.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmanyan View Post
    My views are nothing to do with the purport of this thread. I wish to share my experience on my pilgrimage in September 2001 to Gaumukh glacier at an altitude of 13900 ft.where the holy river starts in the Himalayas. We traveled by bus upto Gangothri, where the road ends. From Gangothri to Gaumukh glacier we have to take the bridle path along with Baghirathi (Ganga) river about 18 kms trek . We can walk the distance or take a mule ride. I preferred the second due to my age. We stayed at Bhojbasa at the distance of 14 kms. for the night.
    Gaumukh is at 4 kms distance from this place.Next morning we started our journey and reached the holy place of Gaumukh where Baghirathi flows from the mouth underneath huge Glacier of about 300 ft. height.
    It was a memorable experience.
    While travelling from Gangothri to Bhojbasa I noticed yellow tinted rocks and glaciers on the other sides of Himalayas. I was told by the horseman that they are due to over flow of hot springs which contain large quantity of sulphur.
    It is my view the mix of sulphur in the river may be the reason for its purity to sustain for long periods.
    I may be wrong, but this may be one of the reasons for purity of water.

A word about Bhojbasa.Sanskrit: (भूर्ज )bhūrja is birch tree native to the Himalayas, growing at elevations up to 4,500 m (14,800 ft). The white, paper-like bark of the tree was used in ancient times for writing Sanskrit scriptures and texts.It is still used as paper for the writing of Scriptures, like Thalapathra (palm leaf) in South.

Brahmanyan
    Bangalore.
    Dear Sir...

Organic Sulphur has been known to have healing properties..ranging from being needed for amino acid building blocks..to insulin production to health of skin/hair.. and cell wall structure.

Come to think of it everything has a logical explanation finally.

Thank.you for writing about the sulphur aspect of the river Ganga...no wonder Lord Shiva has lovely thick matted hair with all the sulphur that flows down His head.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Dear Sir...
    Organic Sulphur has been known to have healing properties..ranging from being needed for amino acid building blocks..to insulin production to health of skin/hair.. and cell wall structure.

Come to think of it everything has a logical explanation finally.

Thank.you for writing about the sulphur aspect of the river Ganga...no wonder Lord Shiva has lovely thick matted hair with all the sulphur that flows down His head.
    Yes Doctor,

According to the Geological Survey of India, there are more than 300 hot springs that have been discovered in India, which are situated in their natural surroundings, or have unpretentious constructions around them, some of which have a religious connotation.

Hot water springs are found across the Himalayas. There are many springs that have religious importance such as the springs found in Badrinath, Yamunotri & Gaurikund. Other locations are Tapovan in Chamoli district, Ganganani, Birhi Valley & Dharchaula.

I have taken bath in Thaptha Kund in Badrinath, Gourikund in Kedarnath and Sulphur spring in Gangnani (on the way to Gangothri). All these places are considered holy for taking bath. Here we can smell the sulphur in the water. The spring water is so hot that they are mixed with cold water to take bath

As you know "the Himalayan Geothermal Belt was formed as a result of the collision of the Indian Plate with the Eurasian Plate, which created the Himalayas. The belt is more than 150 kilometres (93 mi) wide.The HGB has an extension to the westward that shows in warm or hot springs in the Peshawar region of Pakistan."
    The only known thermal spring in the South is near Puttur in Dhakshina Kannanda District known as "the Bendru Teertha",(Tulu ಬೆಂದ್ರ್ ತೀರ್ಥ-boiled water), like all hot springs, the waters are known to cure certain skin ailments.

Brahmanyan
    Bangalore.
    Last edited by Brahmanyan; 25-04-2018 at 10:34 AM.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12