• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRN

I am reading this book by Umberto Eco, well known semiotic expert and Italian author.

This book talks about the origins of the notorious "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" a forged manuscript about the purported Jewish conspiracy for world dominion. This manuscript, though proved a forgery as early as 1921, continued to be widely circulated and believed in, was oft quoted by Hitler, and was the driving force behind the holocaust.

This manuscript was plagiarized from a fictional work, Maurice Joly's Dialogue in Hell. In it I found the below interesting conversation (between Machiavelli and Montesqieu).

Like the god Vishnu, my press will have a hundred arms, and these arms will give their hands to all the different shades of opinion throughout the country.

— Machiavelli, Dialogues, p. 141

Now I understand the figure of the god Vishnu; you have a hundred arms like the Indian idol, and each of your fingers touches a spring.
— Montesquieu, Dialogues, p. 207

Just thought how the name of god Vishnu should come in the oddest places!

Similarly while reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo some years ago, I found a passage in which Hugo quotes Manu Smriti with reverence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back